TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
jfh3

Season Passes retained?

I just upgraded the harddrive in a DT, got 7.3 again and noticed something really strange - the season passes I had set on the old hard drive showed up on the new one not too long after I connected to the Tivo service.

I wasn't really paying attention until I was setting them up again and noticed that one of the ones I needed to do was already done. I knew this because I had a number of SP where the quality setting was at Basic before the upgrade and I was going to increase it.

I hope someone else has seen this and I'm not losing my mind (yes, I made sure I had installed the upgraded hard drive in the box!)

The Tivo also "remembered" my GuruGuide, Product Watch and Yahoo signin info selections, but that didn't surprise me, since I figured those were downloaded during the service connection.

Has anyone else seen this? People have been wanting a way to save/move SPs - maybe we already have it and don't know.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone ...

Last edited by jfh3 : 06-14-2006 at 04:11 PM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
windracer
joined the 10k club

How did you make the backup image you used to put on the new drive? When you upgraded the drive, did you use the -f 9999 flag for mfstools? That would save all of your configuration information (SPs, WLs, etc.) in the backup image, which would then be restored to the new drive.

Having that online backup would be cool though ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
How did you make the backup image you used to put on the new drive? When you upgraded the drive, did you use the -f 9999 flag for mfstools? That would save all of your configuration information (SPs, WLs, etc.) in the backup image, which would then be restored to the new drive.

Having that online backup would be cool though ...
There was no backup.

The drive was formatted by someone else with a 7.2.5 image on it - no backup from my original drive! (And no way he would've had the EXACT same season pass info, since he's a few states away).
Old 06-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #4
rsnaider

If this drive did not come from you box will need to run Clear and Delete Everything or you will have recording issues.

TiVo Roamio Pro
TiVo Premier - WD 1TB Expander
TiVo Premier XL
TiVo Premier Elite
TiVo Mini
rsnaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnaider
If this drive did not come from you box will need to run Clear and Delete Everything or you will have recording issues.
How so? The drive was formatted for a clean install, much like pvrupgrade or weaknees would do. After the drive was installed, I had to go through setup again.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #6
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
I just upgraded the harddrive in a DT, got 7.3 again and noticed something really strange - the season passes I had set on the old hard drive showed up on the new one not too long after I connected to the Tivo service.

I wasn't really paying attention until I was setting them up again and noticed that one of the ones I needed to do was already done. I knew this because I had a number of SP where the quality setting was at Basic before the upgrade and I was going to increase it.

I hope someone else has seen this and I'm not losing my mind (yes, I made sure I had installed the upgraded hard drive in the box!)

The Tivo also "remembered" my GuruGuide, Product Watch and Yahoo signin info selections, but that didn't surprise me, since I figured those were downloaded during the service connection.

Has anyone else seen this? People have been wanting a way to save/move SPs - maybe we already have it and don't know.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone ...

Wow, that didn't take long.

No 'Twilight Zone', just a bit of TiVo Magic.

Both Guru Guides and the new KidZone Guides feature in KidZone require that you modify your account settings to allow the service to have access to what is scheduled on your DVR (that's how we can resolve conflicts, place priority, etc automatically with the new Guides).

If you replace the hard drive on your box...well, the service sees that things are out of sync and automagically fixes that. All of the missing Season Passes, Wishlists, and Guru/KidZone Guides are automatically repopulated.

It's not a documented feature, nor a supported feature. So don't call Customer Support about it. They won't be able to help you. It's just a side benefit of having signed up for the new Guru/KidZone Guide Features.

Note that it's all tied to your TSN...so if you RMA a box, this likely won't have any benefit for you (the replacement would have a different TSN).

But if you're the adventurous type that likes to tinker with things (and I can't endorse opening the box)...it's a perk.

Selling your box? If you Clear and Delete Everything the TiVo Service will know it shouldn't sync the old stuff to the new drive.

Enjoy!

Pony
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #7
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony

Both Guru Guides and the new KidZone Guides feature in KidZone require that you modify your account settings to allow the service to have access to what is scheduled on your DVR (that's how we can resolve conflicts, place priority, etc automatically with the new Guides).

If you replace the hard drive on your box...well, the service sees that things are out of sync and automagically fixes that. All of the missing Season Passes, Wishlists, and Guru/KidZone Guides are automatically repopulated.

It's not a documented feature, nor a supported feature. So don't call Customer Support about it. They won't be able to help you. It's just a side benefit of having signed up for the new Guru/KidZone Guide Features.
That's pretty cool.

(Oh, and thanks for letting the original poster (and us) what was actually happening before everyone here started trying to explain that it was impossible and he must be mistaken )

Edit: I wonder how long until this generates a new round of misleading / incorrect "TiVo spies on you" articles.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
jfh3

Quote:

Very, very cool !

Glad to hear it was Tivo Magic! When I finally realized what was going on, it was kind of a spooky feeling ...

(And the Tivo Tour videos came with the image too!)

Just out of curiousity - what happens if you opt out on the privacy stuff? Would the new GuruGuide and/or KidZone guides not work?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #9
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
That's pretty cool.

(Oh, and thanks for letting the original poster (and us) what was actually happening before everyone here started trying to explain that it was impossible and he must be mistaken )

Edit: I wonder how long until this generates a new round of misleading / incorrect "TiVo spies on you" articles.

Hey, I knew it was "impossible" - that's why I almost didn't post.

I was thinking that the Tivo really was "TV my way" and that it had learned to read my mind ...
Old 06-14-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Very, very cool !

Glad to hear it was Tivo Magic! When I finally realized what was going on, it was kind of a spooky feeling ...

(And the Tivo Tour videos came with the image too!)

Just out of curiousity - what happens if you opt out on the privacy stuff? Would the new GuruGuide and/or KidZone guides not work?
If you change your privacy setting back you won't be able to use Guru Guides or the KidZone Guides (although the rest of the KidZone features would still work).

The service needs to be aware of what is on the box in order to use those features. And...any personal information is used for provisioning these services to your box. It's not used for any other purposes, nefarious or otherwise.

So...you have to opt in and change your account settings to use these features. By doing so you're agreeing to allow the service to be aware of what is scheduled on your DVR. And there are a number of new features that are enabled as a result, some official, and in this case, one unofficial.

But if you'd rather not change your account settings...don't! It's no problem...your TiVo DVR will continue to function just as before.

Cheers,
Pony
Old 06-14-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Now that's cool!

So how long before we can transfer SPs & WLs to a new TiVo? That would make it a lot easier on people who want to upgrade to a DT or a S3.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:24 PM   #12
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:

Pony

man, you can unleash a bucket of live bugs direct into my house with (un)official features like that coming out
Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
man, you can unleash a bucket of live bugs direct into my house with (un)official features like that coming out
They already did!
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #14
segaily

Hmm I wonder if this could someday lead to a cooperative scheduling feature.
segaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #15
dkroboth

I tried to see if any additional info was availible from the https interface for this, but no luck. Maybe there or somewhere else?
dkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #16
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Excellent move in the right direction!

Now that TiVo has the data on their servers, how long until we see this integrated into Tivo Central Online - being able to see all your SPs, WLs, etc. Seeing which shows in the schedule are already set to record, changing them, resolving conflicts, etc. Possible to do quite a rich interface with AJAX, more than on the unit itself. :-)

Being able to deliberately 'back-up' and 'restore' settings would be the next step from today I think, and it would make it more enticing to upgrade to new units. Backup the old unit, restore on the new unit. Presto!

Just having the data on the servers opens up a lot of potential! Yay! :-)

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #17
rainwater

Even before Guru Guides it was very easy to setup your Season Passes using TCO. Only wishlists weren't able to be setup using this method. Like TivoPony said this is tied to the TSN so you can't using it for transfering your data. So TCO is still the quickest way. Now if we could only setup wishlists using TCO
Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 PM   #18
bpurcell
TMBG Fan

Setting up, sure, but maintaining and revising would be a big step in the right direction if they made that type of upgrade.

And since they have a copy of your SP's and WL's, then it's not that huge of a leap for transfering them to another TSN (well maybe code-wise it's a big leap).

S2DT 80Hr - Tivo Wireless Adapter - 3 yr. prepay
TiVoHD - TiVo Wireless Adapter - Lifetime
bpurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #19
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurcell
Setting up, sure, but maintaining and revising would be a big step in the right direction if they made that type of upgrade.

And since they have a copy of your SP's and WL's, then it's not that huge of a leap for transfering them to another TSN (well maybe code-wise it's a big leap).
Except I don't see them adding a feature to transfer the data. While I few people here might use such a feature, the general public would have little use to transfer SP and WL data. I would think managing your season passes online would be nice but it could be difficult to manage conflicts.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #20
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Except I don't see them adding a feature to transfer the data. While I few people here might use such a feature, the general public would have little use to transfer SP and WL data.
Make it easier to upgrade to the S2DT, S3, etc, and more people will. One of the major drags to upgrading is having to set up the new system - and losing all your thumbs data, etc. You have a TiVo for years, it learns well - then you're back to scratch. Very frustrating.

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #21
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by segaily
Hmm I wonder if this could someday lead to a cooperative scheduling feature.

once they have the data on their servers a lot more is possible. I always saw cooperative scheduling as too complex for a TiVo to process while it had all the real time stuff going on.

HME seemed the next way to go but it seems they did not want ot make a lot of DVR APIs public to HME.

but this is a way to go as well. More than cooperative scheduling I really just wanted one pleace to manage all my season passes on the various TiVo at one time. With dual tuners cooperative scheduling in itself is not such an issue anymore but having a screen that would list all my season passes and which TiVo they are on and then view upcoming shows and which are set to record or not would be fairly easy to design (though a LOT of work to code) the only new function would be to cancel a season pass or recording.

That would give us "manual" cooperative scheduling by making it easy to move stuff around. really all I need and Iwould feel better doing it myself I think then having a program moving shows around to where I have to hunt them back down

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 06-15-2006 at 07:34 AM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #22
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:

Enjoy!

Pony
Very Cool!

Now let me edit the passes, move them to another box, etc. through TCO!
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #23
TiVoEvan74

What's TCO?
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:04 PM   #24
Dan203
Super Moderator

TCO = TiVo Central Online

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

That is too sweet.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #26
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MighTiVo
Very Cool!

How do you do that on Tivo Central Online? I'm not seeing it.
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #27
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
How do you do that on Tivo Central Online? I'm not seeing it.
You don't. That's what he wants to see next.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:13 PM   #28
yunlin12
Tivonation Citizen

Quote:
You don't. That's what he wants to see next.
Duh! Now I read it again. Someone put me down for the running of the least attentive forum member of the month.

It'd be nice to have, would be difficult, too, especially if it is real time. I haven't hacked my Tivo this way, but is it possible to access a Tivo's SP list through TivoWeb with the port 80 opened on the router and forwarded to the Tivo box?
Tivo S3 750GB (decommissioned)
Tivo HD 750GB (adopted by parents)
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Premiere XL
yunlin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #29
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MighTiVo
Very Cool!

Editting will be extremely tricky. Because TCO isn't dealing with real time data and doesn't transfer it back realtime, dealing with conflicts would be real difficult to pull off. I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 PM   #30
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Editting will be extremely tricky. Because TCO isn't dealing with real time data and doesn't transfer it back realtime, dealing with conflicts would be real difficult to pull off. I wouldn't count on it anytime soon.
I have been changing the configuration of recordings online for years on my ReplayTV and it is very nice even though changes only get pushed once a day.

TiVo can update every 15min or less.

Imagine the ability to view and edit a full list of your season passes, reorder in bulk with no waiting, change KUID, # to save, first run only, en masse.

Now add even more feature like grouping season passes and shutting them down out of season without having to delete them, moving a season pass from one box to another.

It can be done, it doesn't have to be complicated, and it would be AWESOME!

Sure, in addition to TCO TiVo should provide access to the scheduling engine for HME apps and then someone will write a killer app for LAN control as well.
Still these are features that really should be on TCO.
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote