TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
jfh3

KidZone features

Figured a thread specifically to discuss some of the KZ features (or bugs) might be helpful. The items listed here are features.

1) Guide doesn't work in KZ

When watching a program in KZ, if I hit Guide, I just get a bonk (with a cute Batman-type "Bonk!" graphic briefly superimposed over the bottom left corner of the screen)

2) Program hidden banner

When scrolling through channels in KZ, sometimes there is a KZ banner:
"This program is hidden from Tivo Kidzone. Press [channel button picture] to view other channels in Kidzone, or press the [Tivo button picture] button to return to Kidzone Now Playing."

The banner is displayed on a channel allowed in KZ, so I presume it's being displayed, because although the channel is allowed, the content isn't within the currently defined KZ settings (which given my settings seems to be the case).

3) Channel banner type limited to station and bar types only.

When changing channels, the channel banner starts out in the small version (time, station, channel) then expands to the title bar format (show title, program start/end, rating) only if the program is viewable. The full banner version (display program description) doesn't seem to be available, regardless of what is set by default outside of KZ.

This seems to be a good idea, though on channels that can be viewed, this results in a "flash" between the small and title bar versions upon tuning the channel - be nice to see this quick swap of formats eliminated.

4) When first going into KZ after a reboot, the Tivo introduction cartoon plays.

This is pretty cute, and can be quickly stopped (as always) by hitting any key. Good reuse though.

5) Screen saver

When Tivo has been inactive for at least 4 hours and KZ is enabled, Tivo automatically drops into KZ and displays a KZ screen saver (Blue outer ring, inner red cresent, three red stars and the yellow tippy K Z letters).

Hitting any key plays the introduction Tivolution video before going to KZNP. (The video can be interrupted by hitting any key).

6) No KZ only bookmarks

The bookmark status (where you are in a program for "Resume Playing") in KZ is the same as when playing a program from the master NPL. Would be nice to see one bookmark per program per zone, especially if KZ is ever expanded to allow custom NPLs by family member.

Last edited by jfh3 : 06-12-2006 at 07:39 PM.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #2
aus1ander
schmoopy

As to #1, I'm pretty sure thats a "feature". In the support document for KZ, they state that channels can only be changed with a "channel up" or "channel down" on the remote. I guess its logical because most kids young enough to use KZ won't use the guide.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
aus1ander
schmoopy

I haven't received 7.3 yet, so I was just wondering... does KZ programming show up in both the master NPL and the KZ NPL? I assume if you set up a Season Pass for say, Sesame Street, that SP spans both KZ and the upper level functions, so the recorded program will appear in both lists.

It would be nice to have all the kids programming only show up in KZ or have a KZ folder in the master NPL.
aus1ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

The KZ list is just a "filtered" view of the regular Now Playing List. Now Playing always show all the shows on the TiVo and KidZone Now Playing only shows the "allowed" programs based on the user settings.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Dave_N

3 possible improvements.

As someone who has setup kidzone, all of my children 4, 7, 10 expected the keypad buttons to work. I think this should at least be an option. I also believe the guide should list the kid zone configured channels. I do understand that this seems to be "working as designed". I don't think it would too hard to make these two behaviors configurable.

As an optional feature, it would be nice if the kid zone could be scheduled. E.G, I fall asleep watching the sopranos, a bit slow this season eh ;it would be nice that if at 6:00 A.M. kid zone was automatically enabled.
Dave_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_N
As someone who has setup kidzone, all of my children 4, 7, 10 expected the keypad buttons to work. I think this should at least be an option. I also believe the guide should list the kid zone configured channels. I do understand that this seems to be "working as designed". I don't think it would too hard to make these two behaviors configurable.

As an optional feature, it would be nice if the kid zone could be scheduled. E.G, I fall asleep watching the sopranos, a bit slow this season eh ;it would be nice that if at 6:00 A.M. kid zone was automatically enabled.
If you configure KZ to have only say 9 channels - is it only those channels you see when you hot the channel up or down ?

and why have the guide - my kids would just whine about what they are not seeing.

I read in that PDF guide or somewhere that KZ will come back after 4 hours of inactivity. so for that one example it would be back at 6am
Old 06-11-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
If you configure KZ to have only say 9 channels - is it only those channels you see when you hot the channel up or down ?
Yes. You only see those channels, except if progamming on a channel at that time is not within the allowed rating/program type, then you see the banner I noted in the first post.

Quote:
and why have the guide - my kids would just whine about what they are not seeing.
I don't want to see the entire guide, just one built from the allowed KZ channels.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
bpurcell
TMBG Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
I don't want to see the entire guide, just one built from the allowed KZ channels.
But KZ isn't necessarily about what you want. It's about what kids would and should use. Especially when they are under 10, I would prefer if my son use as few buttons as possible. Since they probably won't have many channels to choose from, I'd rather they just use the up/down buttons. Changing the Guide to make it only show KZ channels seems like a can of worms that might cause unintended problems if implemented. Maybe they might add it later, but only after test and retest it to death to make sure it will do what you expect.

S2DT 80Hr - Tivo Wireless Adapter - 3 yr. prepay
TiVoHD - TiVo Wireless Adapter - Lifetime
bpurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #9
cbordman
PP-ASEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo

I read in that PDF guide or somewhere that KZ will come back after 4 hours of inactivity. so for that one example it would be back at 6am
Something like that is happening. Selecting 'Exit KidZone' from the now playing list works as you would think, but when i come back to the TV hours later, it is always back in KIDZONE mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
cbordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
bpurcell
TMBG Fan

According to the KZ instructions, that's what's supposed to happen. If you exit KZ, then leave the tivo alone for 4 hours, KZ will come back on.

S2DT 80Hr - Tivo Wireless Adapter - 3 yr. prepay
TiVoHD - TiVo Wireless Adapter - Lifetime

Last edited by bpurcell : 06-12-2006 at 01:25 PM.
bpurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:39 PM   #11
TiVoPony
TiVo Forum Special Member

Quote:
Figured a thread specifically to discuss some of the KZ features (or bugs) might be helpful. Most of these are probably "features".
But...not a single thing you've listed is a bug. All as designed (with one exception noted below). Would you mind changing the thread title and your post...

As has been mentioned in other threads, the TiVo animation only plays if the box has been restarted. It does not play each time you go to the KZ Now Playing List. That one ought to just be quietly deleted from your post, or at least note that that's not what it does.

Oh...there is another way to play the TiVo animation within KZ. Lots of kids love it...we'd hate to lose that bit of fun.

Pony
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
hfwarner3

First, I had my first spontaneous TiVo reboot ever last night. I came out of KZ, went to my media server, downloaded an MPEG file and it said there was a problem and I should check to History in To Do list. I went there and when I clicked on History, the TiVo rebooted. Interesting.

My only complaint about KZ is the inability of telling TiVo that MPEG files are okay for the kids. It bans the MPEG files, so the kids can not even see them. As a result, my kids have lost the old Superman cartoons and other MPEG videos we had on the media server. Not a big deal, but annoying.
hfwarner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
TiVoPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfwarner3

My only complaint about KZ is the inability of telling TiVo that MPEG files are okay for the kids. It bans the MPEG files, so the kids can not even see them. As a result, my kids have lost the old Superman cartoons and other MPEG videos we had on the media server. Not a big deal, but annoying.
Yep, it's something that we'd like to add support for in the future, but there is no simple solution today.

Hope your kids are enjoying KidZone...the testing we did here with parents and kids was really amazing. Parents liked it, but kids *loved* it. Having their own space was a big deal.

Pony
Old 06-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #14
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony
Yep, it's something that we'd like to add support for in the future, but there is no simple solution today.

Hope your kids are enjoying KidZone...the testing we did here with parents and kids was really amazing. Parents liked it, but kids *loved* it. Having their own space was a big deal.

Pony
Now we just need KidZone for adults Then we can have profiles for each user in the house.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #15
TiVoPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
Now we just need KidZone for adults Then we can have profiles for each user in the house.
I know someone who uses KZ when they have parties. If guests want to watch TV, it's no problem. You just can't mess with any planned recordings, nor can you load his box up with prank recordings.

Pony
Old 06-12-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
petew

Quote:
I don't have 7.3 yet and am in no rush to get it as 2/3 of my kids are no longer legally children! However I was wondering if .tivo files xfered back to the Tivo were accessible in Kidzone. If so this thread might be of interest:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=284726

It would also provide a possible solution if TiVo could provide a PC utility for creating .tivo files from MPG's or provide interested outsiders the format so we could do it ourselves.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #17
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew
I don't have 7.3 yet and am in no rush to get it as 2/3 of my kids are no longer legally children! However I was wondering if .tivo files xfered back to the Tivo were accessible in Kidzone. If so this thread might be of interest:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=284726

It would also provide a possible solution if TiVo could provide a PC utility for creating .tivo files from MPG's or provide interested outsiders the format so we could do it ourselves.
I will have to try that. Just last night I tried pulling off a blocked .mpg (a video from my son's kindergarten class) from the Tivo and round-tripped it back again. But it remained blocked.

Attaching a new header may work (going to try it now), but, of course, it will have a false program details and title.

Edit: it does work, but an incorrect title is too confusing

Last edited by greg_burns : 06-12-2006 at 05:29 PM.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
hfwarner3

Quote:

Pony
The Kids love it so far. It was funny to hear them talk about how easy it is to find THEIR stuff now that all that "stinky mama and daddy stuff" was out of the way.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #19
jfh3

Quote:
But...not a single thing you've listed is a bug. All as designed (with one exception noted below). Would you mind changing the thread title and your post...

As has been mentioned in other threads, the TiVo animation only plays if the box has been restarted. It does not play each time you go to the KZ Now Playing List. That one ought to just be quietly deleted from your post, or at least note that that's not what it does.

Oh...there is another way to play the TiVo animation within KZ. Lots of kids love it...we'd hate to lose that bit of fun.

Pony
I've edited the original post.

What's the other way to play the animation within KZ?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #20
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater
KidZone is GREAT and I think it will be a defining feature for Tivo.

Having individual profiles would be a great expansion of the concept.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
What's the other way to play the animation within KZ?
Ask your kids, they probably already know.

Spoiler:
Press 0 key

greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
peteypete

Just got KidZone. Now gotta get Kids.

Just trying it out. Seems DAMN Easy to use! Hopefully the Guru Guides are just as good.
peteypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #23
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
I will have to try that. Just last night I tried pulling off a blocked .mpg (a video from my son's kindergarten class) from the Tivo and round-tripped it back again. But it remained blocked.
Is the video un-rated? If so, it probably will always be blocked. I think KidZone will block anything un-rated just to be sure.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 AM   #24
hfwarner3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelman
Is the video un-rated? If so, it probably will always be blocked. I think KidZone will block anything un-rated just to be sure.
There is an option about whether or not to filter unrated content, but I don't know if it applies that logic to the mpeg files you pull off the server or not. I am getting killed with work this week, so it will be at least Friday before I can play with it to find out. Given the channel restrictions we have in place, I am not sure I am that worried about unrated content any more since PBS is the only channel I can think of that might put unrated content on the wire and that would almost certainly be after the kids' viewing hours.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #25
jfh3

Quote:
The Kids love it so far. It was funny to hear them talk about how easy it is to find THEIR stuff now that all that "stinky mama and daddy stuff" was out of the way.
That's good to hear - from your prior posts, it seemed like your family would be in the target market for KidZone.

Now just go tell all your friends how cool it is ...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #26
hfwarner3

Quote:
That's good to hear - from your prior posts, it seemed like your family would be in the target market for KidZone.

Now just go tell all your friends how cool it is ...
I have already posted my "review" of KidZone to two different dad lists and told 2 people at work about it. My "mantra" at this point is - "if you let your kids watch tv, you need TiVo with KidZone. Period."
Old 06-14-2006, 04:15 PM   #27
Grimm1

First let me say...great feature...thanks TiVo!

OK...have had the KidZone update for about 2 days now and here are a few bugs/quirks that I have noticed so far.

1) From the "To Do List" I am not able to cancel a scheduled recording using the "Clear" button on my remote. Instead "like the old days" I have to hit "Select" and then "Clear".

2) Once canceling a show from the To Do List instead of being returned to the current page of the To Do List (page the canceled show was on), I am instead returned to page 1 (the top of the To Do List).

3) There doesn't appear to be an easy way to enable KidZone while watching a show. Before with "parental controls" you could access that feature and turn it on from the large banner. Using that same option now takes you to "KidZone Settings" which says "KidZone is ON" and gives you the option to "Turn Off TiVo KidZone" which might be a little confusing to some. It should show that KidZone is ON but disabled and give you the option to enable it just like we could with the Parental Control feature and then be able to back right out to the show we were currently watching. The way it has to be done now is 1) hit TiVo button, 2) select Now Showing, 3)select Enter TiVo KidZone, 4)search through the KidZone Now Playing for the show that was being watched, 5)press play.

4)No large banner when in the KidZone. A feature my kids might not use that much but I sure do when I'm watching shows with them. Doesn't seem practical to have to go through the process of exiting KidZone just so I can read the name of the episode and description for the show in the large banner and then have to go thru the process of re-entering the kidzone and finding and starting the show that was being watched.

5)This seems like a big one. When not in the KidZone changes can be made to the KidZone settings without a password (except for turning it OFF or changing the password). I'm pretty sure we had an extra buffer of protection with parental controls that even when it was disabled you needed a password to make changes to the settings.

6)No easy way to put TiVo in "Standby" while in the KidZone.

7)The "Enter" key no longer takes you to the extended information screen for a show. Now you have to use "Info" were in the past you could use either. I'm guessing this might have been intentional to get people to use the Info button. But unless the "Enter" button is supposed to do something else I don't see the harm in leaving it functional. BTW...I like how in the extended info screen it now shows the size of the show...so instead of saying "Less then 1%" it also shows 2.53GB...Nice!
Grimm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #28
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm1
1) From the "To Do List" I am not able to cancel a scheduled recording using the "Clear" button on my remote. Instead "like the old days" I have to hit "Select" and then "Clear".

2) Once canceling a show from the To Do List instead of being returned to the current page of the To Do List (page the canceled show was on), I am instead returned to page 1 (the top of the To Do List).
Yup, both are bugs. #1 is new with 7.3, #2 with 7.2.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm1
4)No large banner when in the KidZone. A feature my kids might not use that much but I sure do when I'm watching shows with them. Doesn't seem practical to have to go through the process of exiting KidZone just so I can read the name of the episode and description for the show in the large banner and then have to go thru the process of re-entering the kidzone and finding and starting the show that was being watched.
This seems to be working as designed and is #3 in my original post. I presume this was done for the same reason that "Guide" doesn't work - to keep the program description for upcoming programs that may not pass the KZ filter hidden.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:04 AM   #29
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Quote:

Pony
Won't they show up if you allow unrated? But then you get all unrated...

Seems the add programs to KidZone menu should let you tag anything for KidZone already recorded and reviewed by an adult regardless of rating.
MighTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:48 AM   #30
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
I have already posted my "review" of KidZone to two different dad lists and told 2 people at work about it. My "mantra" at this point is - "if you let your kids watch tv, you need TiVo with KidZone. Period."

I have another planned use for it.

My wife's parents will watch the kids for us. They want to watch TV and usually just watch Live TV becasue they do not want to mess with the TiVo. frankly I do not wnat them messing with it either.

Now I can turn on Kidzone but set the ratings to the oldest age and then allow all the different shows be visible. this is on our main TV.

they can then "mess" with the TiVo all they want and I encourage them to do so to see how cool a TiVo is. I no longer have to worry about what they might have done while I was gone

This is good for babysitters as well and you can sett he block to their age appropriate as well and know they are not going to sneak in some show their parents would not want them to watch