TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #1201
stayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
the cable? you mean directv right? There are inputs for one OTA (split internally so you can record 2 shows) and there are 2 sat. inputs. So you can record 1 sat/1ota, or 2 sats or 2 ota at once, all while watching a prerecorded program.

to be clear, hdtivo only works with directv. And if you aren't able to get OTA, you'll be disappointed, assuming you watch the networks of course.

Also note that the Hd stuff like HDnet will currently work with the HDtivo just fine. However, at SOME point (anywhere from months to years but there are other threads for those arguments how long), HD will very likely be all mpeg4 and you will NOT be able to record HD via satellite. Since no one actually knows when this will take place, it's a calculated risk to enter the market at this time.

SD will definitely be mpeg2 for a very long time so you would always have that plus OTA HD of course. I'm happy with that but everyone is different
YOU ARE SO KIND - THAT HELPS A LOT
Old 05-23-2006, 12:47 PM   #1202
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

one more thing: you'll only get HBO HD and Showtime HD if you subscribe to those channels...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:18 AM   #1203
MrSpiff

As usual, this high tech stuff is dizzying to those who don't keep up, like me.

I currently have two SD DirecTivos (one series 1 and one series 2). I covet them almost as much as my children. I don't quite know how I could go without the functionality of Tivo.

Recently I've been seeing more and more HD at other people's houses, and I'm finally ready to jump in (too bad the wife doesn't agree). I have a pretty old 50" mitsubishi, but it's HD ready. I called D* a couple days ago and it seems I can get HD locals in my area thru the dish. This is really what I've been waiting for. I really dislike the idea of an OTA antenna. The lady told me all I had to do was get an HD box and an upgraded dish and I'd be good to go. And the price of the boxes has come down to reasonable levels. I thought I was good to go as soon as I can weasel a few hundred bucks out of the family budget. Until I came here that is.

I think I read in the FAQ that if I bought an HD Tivo today, it would possibly be obsolete and unable to receive locals in a year or so. Something about MPEG-4. Is that true?

Bottom line: Should I jump in to HD thru Directv right now or wait some more? If I wait, will the Tivo interface be lost forever for HD?
MrSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #1204
vtfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpiff
I think I read in the FAQ that if I bought an HD Tivo today, it would possibly be obsolete and unable to receive locals in a year or so. Something about MPEG-4. Is that true?

Bottom line: Should I jump in to HD thru Directv right now or wait some more? If I wait, will the Tivo interface be lost forever for HD?

The HD Tivo will not receive HD locals from D*....not now...not ever. The only HD locals the HD Tivo will pick up will be from OTA, so you must have the antenna. If you don't want an HD Tivo, there is a plain HD box (no DVR yet) that will pick up the HD locals from D*. The HD DVR (non-Tivo) that will pick up the HD locals is supposed to be released this summer....but I think that date has already been pushed back, so who knows.

If you want a Tivo box that records in HD, your only choice is D*...and you don't get the locals from the dish. Yep...it sucks....if only it were a perfect world.
vtfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 AM   #1205
cheer
Registered Offender

Unless you live in NYC or LA, the HD Tivo cannot receive HD locals from DirecTV now. The HD locals are being broadcast using MPEG4 encoding, and the HD Tivo does not support it.

DirecTV will be coming out with an MPEG4-capable DVR, but it will not be Tivo.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #1206
MrSpiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtfan99
The HD Tivo will not receive HD locals from D*....not now...not ever. The only HD locals the HD Tivo will pick up will be from OTA, so you must have the antenna. If you don't want an HD Tivo, there is a plain HD box (no DVR yet) that will pick up the HD locals from D*. The HD DVR (non-Tivo) that will pick up the HD locals is supposed to be released this summer....but I think that date has already been pushed back, so who knows.

If you want a Tivo box that records in HD, your only choice is D*...and you don't get the locals from the dish. Yep...it sucks....if only it were a perfect world.
I asked that specific question when I called D* and they said yes, that I can get the HD locals thru the dish. Is this a case of moronic D* customer service?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #1207
newsposter
Poster of News

LA and NY DO have mpeg2 in HD...if you are in CA you may be able to get them..i dont know about the criteria though. I'm guessing if you are in LA you can get LA

search in the HDtivo forum for better answers as there are rumors of mpeg2 being turned off. I know nothing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:36 AM   #1208
slocko

getting your locals through on ota antenna is not terrible. Direct will even give you the antenna and install it. there are even advantages. with your hd locals coming from the OTA, you won't be subject to any compression from Direct. in the future when you get a 2nd hd tv, the hd-tivo can make a great backup receiver, even if the only thing it can receive are ota channels.

what you have to decide is if currently there are enough hd channels that you would be able to receive through the hd-tivo that would justify the cost of buying or leasing the unit.

for me there is.

Quote:
As usual, this high tech stuff is dizzying to those who don't keep up, like me.

I currently have two SD DirecTivos (one series 1 and one series 2). I covet them almost as much as my children. I don't quite know how I could go without the functionality of Tivo.

Recently I've been seeing more and more HD at other people's houses, and I'm finally ready to jump in (too bad the wife doesn't agree). I have a pretty old 50" mitsubishi, but it's HD ready. I called D* a couple days ago and it seems I can get HD locals in my area thru the dish. This is really what I've been waiting for. I really dislike the idea of an OTA antenna. The lady told me all I had to do was get an HD box and an upgraded dish and I'd be good to go. And the price of the boxes has come down to reasonable levels. I thought I was good to go as soon as I can weasel a few hundred bucks out of the family budget. Until I came here that is.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #1209
vtfan99

Misinformed customer service.....moronic customer service...take your pick. It does get tricky so maybe we should give them some credit.

1. You can get HD locals from the dish now (MPEG 2) if you live in LA or NYC (as cheer mentioned above).

2. If you apply to number 1, then the HD Tivo (Model HR10-250) currently offered via D* will allow you to record the HD locals

3. If you don't apply to number one, then the only way currently to record HD locals with D* is via an OTA and the HR10-250.

4. When the new HD DVR comes out in the future, you will be able to record HD locals from the dish, but this box will not a Tivo box.

See...clear as mud
vtfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #1210
MrSpiff

Yes, I am lucky enough to be in the LA area. In this case, I suppose it's a good thing. Property values are another.

So, my original question remains. If I buy this wonderful HD Tivo box, I would be in HD Tivo heaven until DirecTv changes something and turns it into a paperweight? Seems somewhat criminal to sell a machine that becomes useless in a year.

I will try to scour the rest of the threads.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 AM   #1211
slocko

one more thing, conventional wisdom is the SD channels will continue being mpeg2 for the foreseeable future. so again, this will make a great 2nd receiver down the road.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:16 AM   #1212
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocko
one more thing, conventional wisdom is the SD channels will continue being mpeg2 for the foreseeable future. so again, this will make a great 2nd receiver down the road.
glad you brought it up. I get tired of hearing others say doorstop. Unless you truly dont have 3+ way conflicts (in that case i can say you dont need 4 tuners), an extra SD plus OTA box is indeed very nice

!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:15 AM   #1213
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:

I currently have two SD DirecTivos (one series 1 and one series 2). I covet them almost as much as my children.
lol, you know what they say about family, Spiff.

you can't chose your family but you can chose your recorder.

try the antenna, it works great for me.

Yamaha HTR-5590 Reciever, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts and Mini Monitor rears, Polk Audio front/rear centers, 2 10" Velodyne subs.
joetoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:50 AM   #1214
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Yes, I am lucky enough to be in the LA area. In this case, I suppose it's a good thing. Property values are another.

So, my original question remains. If I buy this wonderful HD Tivo box, I would be in HD Tivo heaven until DirecTv changes something and turns it into a paperweight? Seems somewhat criminal to sell a machine that becomes useless in a year.

I will try to scour the rest of the threads.
Unlikely that the box will be useless in a year, or even three.

Here are the facts, as we know them:
  • National HD channels and all SD channels are currently in MPEG2
  • Local HD channels in all markets except NYC and LA are in MPEG4
  • DirecTV has launched multiple satellites to expand their MPEG4 offerings
  • The only MPEG4 channels currently announced are the HD locals
Now, here's what I think is reasonable to assume:
  • Once the HD locals rollout completes, DirecTV will likely start adding national HD channels in MPEG4
  • Eventually, DirecTV may begin migrating existing MPEG2 HD stuff to MPEG4 (national channels, the NFL stuff, etc.)
  • It is unlikely that SD channels will migrate to MPEG4; if they do, it will be many years before they start
It's probably going to be over a year before the MPEG4 HD locals rollout finishes. So I'd guess the HR10-250 has at least a couple of years of life; longer for SD and OTA.
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:00 AM   #1215
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
getting your locals through on ota antenna is not terrible. Direct will even give you the antenna and install it. there are even advantages. with your hd locals coming from the OTA, you won't be subject to any compression from Direct.
Just a quick note -- the antenna D* supplies is junk. It may work in really favorite circumstances, but...if you really want to do OTA reception, get thee to antennaweb.org.

And yes, your locals in HD will never look better than via OTA.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #1216
slocko

D* gave me one of those flat round antennas and here north of Tampa it works very well. It even looks good, not like the traditional aerial antennas. I get all the hd locals with no reception problems.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #1217
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
D* gave me one of those flat round antennas and here north of Tampa it works very well. It even looks good, not like the traditional aerial antennas. I get all the hd locals with no reception problems.
your fortunate you don't need anything better, slocko.

allot of people have said what cheer just said, they aren't very good.

Yamaha HTR-5590 Reciever, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts and Mini Monitor rears, Polk Audio front/rear centers, 2 10" Velodyne subs.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 AM   #1218
slocko

i was surprised as well. when i lived in Central Jersey, i tried so many different antennas and none could get me all the hd channels without rotating it one way or another.

now i get abc, cbs, nbc, wb, upn, fox, pbs with no problems.

but the point is, that even if the antenna they give you doesn't work, at least all the cabling will be done. then you can replace it with whatever works in your area. for my install the guy multiplex all the signals to 3 different locations. he did a great job.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #1219
baatz
TechoFobe

Quote:
"...now i get abc, cbs, nbc, wb, upn, fox, pbs with no problems..."

"...he did a great job."
It's guys like you that ruin it for everyone else... You suck all the luck out of the ether!

Did you plan where to live based upon HD signal coverage? And, you mean they didn't just cut a big hole in your roof and stick the antenna out of it?

I've never bought a lotto ticket --- but if I were you I would immediately go buy one. No need to buy more than one, you shouldn't need it.

Or, maybe it's just that I'm UNLUCKY ?
baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #1220
slocko

I know what you mean. Until people here told me that was a crappy antenna, I thought maybe I hadn't been using the right one.

I do feel blessed because I am in HD-Heaven!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #1221
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer
[*]The only MPEG4 channels currently announced are the HD locals
Side note for those not in the know: only the big 4 are mpeg4 on directv. If you want pbs, cw upn wb or whatever the local channel of the week is, sorry. Out of luck.

Yes some people will watch CW!

!

Old 05-31-2006, 12:37 PM   #1222
slocko

good point. if you are a Smallville fan or Everybody Hates Chris fan, you have no choice but OTA.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:38 PM   #1223
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Side note for those not in the know: only the big 4 are mpeg4 on directv. If you want pbs, cw upn wb or whatever the local channel of the week is, sorry. Out of luck.

Yes some people will watch CW!
And you only get the main subchannel of the affiliates of the big 4.

Yes, that will be the main HD channel, but in many markets there is pretty good stuff on the other subchannels, and you'll only be able to see it with an antenna.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 02:05 PM   #1224
newsposter
Poster of News

also dont forget super nbc weather megs doppler storm tracker chaser !

!

Old 05-31-2006, 05:47 PM   #1225
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
also dont forget super nbc weather megs doppler storm tracker chaser !
lol, this reminds me of an "NBC weather plus" station from rochester on sub channel 2-2 that i get OTA.

i've never seen such a fanatical weather forecast.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:56 AM   #1226
cheer
Registered Offender

A lot of the subchannels are, well, a waste...but some are not. And some are truly unique.

For example, I am told that the Champaign IL Fox affiliate, during NFL games, uses a subchannel to broadcast the game in HD...with no announcers, just stadium audio/noise.

Sure wish my Fox affiliate did that! What a unique way to watch a game -- no prattle!
Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #1227
baatz
TechoFobe

Quote:
A lot of the subchannels are, well, a waste...but some are not. And some are truly unique.

For example, I am told that the Champaign IL Fox affiliate, during NFL games, uses a subchannel to broadcast the game in HD...with no announcers, just stadium audio/noise.

Sure wish my Fox affiliate did that! What a unique way to watch a game -- no prattle!
Never having had the "luxury" of OTA reception --- I didn't even realize there were such things as multiple subchannels from a station with varying content...

Until now...

Sounds cool. No jibber jabber? Wow... Almost makes me want to move to Champaign. Or maybe drink a lot of champagne to forget that I don't have a feed like that.
baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #1228
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I am told that the Champaign IL Fox affiliate, during NFL games, uses a subchannel to broadcast the game in HD...with no announcers, just stadium audio/noise.

wow...I would KILL for that...put a lot of microphones aimed at the field and just give me the sounds of the game...I can't stand announcers. They are totally useless and detract from the game...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:41 PM   #1229
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
wow...I would KILL for that...put a lot of microphones aimed at the field and just give me the sounds of the game...I can't stand announcers. They are totally useless and detract from the game...
I rather enjoy listening to them make giant asses of themselves about every other call.........and they are occasionaly useful when I miss something important.
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #1230
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

this reminds me of the old C-band days. i remember getting "backhauls" with no commercials, announcers, nothing.

the best though was when there WAS announcers but no commercials, they would say they were going to commercial but they never did, the affiliates would put their local commercials in these spots. they used to talk about all kinds of schit because they weren't "on the air".

once, harry neale said during a hockey game of the late bill goldsworthy "he's on the other side of the grass now" and they both started laughing bigtime.