TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #1171
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter
r15 = tivo like? I only know what i read on the forum but I think if it was tivo like you wouldnt hear the old time tivoers complaining
I thought he was talking about the H20, something I know we're not supposed to talk about on this forum...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:16 AM   #1172
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsd
I apologize in advance for asking this question which I'm sure has been discussed (although I couldn't find the appropriate thread):

D* just introduced local HD in San Diego yesterday (Yippee). Unfortunately, I just found out that the price for getting this (aside from the $99 upgrade) is to give up TIVO. I have an HR10 and have not had a problem. OTA is not an option where I live, so I've had to put up with SD on most channels. The service rep told me they expect an HD-DVR to be available in mid-summer. My question is: Does anyone know or have a guess whether their DVR will be "TIVO-like"? By this I mean, will it be able to record by title rather than strictly by time and channel. Thanks!
I ran into that dilemma when I moved up here to Seattle last summer. I decided to keep my SD Tivo boxes (I have 3) and wait until my 60" big screen poops out (and then I will buy an HD TV) and wait for DTV to get their stuff working and check out their offerings (and others) in the HD-DVR arena. I don't "need" HD and I don't WANT another antenna to get local HD broadcasts.......besides, I learned a looong time ago to not buy "new" stuff right away so that it gets a chance to get the kinks worked out. I HATE being a guinea pig.
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 PM   #1173
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
I thought he was talking about the H20, something I know we're not supposed to talk about on this forum...
well at least we are both unsure

I know zip about the H20..if it's tivo like..cool, that means the h20 250 should be wonderful as well...too many boxes to keep up on the lingo here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #1174
noahsd

Quote:
well at least we are both unsure

I know zip about the H20..if it's tivo like..cool, that means the h20 250 should be wonderful as well...too many boxes to keep up on the lingo here
So can I assume that D* has not disclosed any details or description of their promised HD-DVR?
noahsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:00 PM   #1175
newsposter
Poster of News

it's a hot topic here if you do a search or thumb through the thread titles. Anywhere between summer and early next year is posted on this forum as a release date. As far as details, I wont pretend to know anything other than I guarantee it wont have the familiar tivo interface that the HDtivo and its friends now have.

!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:25 AM   #1176
Brillian1080p

Feldon23, I am curious. If you don't own any high definition equipment, how can you be so sure that video processing will not improve picture quality?

I have been playing around with analog CRT projectors and processors by way of home theater PC and outboard processors for about 4 years. I would like to correct your statement.

Standard definition video can be improved to a large degree. The amount of improvement depends on your display quality and processor quality.

I do not have the time at the moment, but I can provide details an examples if there is interest. There are many others who could do the same.

I'm also not interested in arguing or fighting about it, but I wonder how many readers will actually believe your statement.

Anyone interested in a different view on this topic can visit the video processing section of other forums. There you can read posts from quite a few people who actually have the equipment and have made improvements to both standard and high definition video.

Please don't take offense, your just flat out wrong in this instance.
Brillian1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:21 PM   #1177
golf ace

Hi there
I asked this on a deferent site but thought I would give it a try here. If I have cable and D* can I put the "cable" in the OTA input on an hr10-250. I would like to be able to tivo my hd locals.
thanks
golf ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #1178
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf ace
Hi there
I asked this on a deferent site but thought I would give it a try here. If I have cable and D* can I put the "cable" in the OTA input on an hr10-250. I would like to be able to tivo my hd locals.
thanks
You can wish and want and hope but it's not going to work.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #1179
pjspring

Compatibility between Series 2 and Series 3 DVRs

I hope no one has asked this question before and I've missed it.

I currently own two Series 2 TiVo boxes, both linked into my home network, that I use extensively for playing music, playing photo slideshows, transferring video between TiVos and to the PCs for DVD authoring, etc, etc.

Later this year I plan on upgrading to HDTV and will buy a Series 3 TiVo to complement it.

Does anyone know whether you will be able to transfer video between the Series 3 and Series 2 boxes (and vice versa). I know you will not get HD, but will they be compatible at least?

Thanks.
pjspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #1180
mroe

I am very interested in upgrading to HD Tivo, but would like to know when DTV is going to to start having HD locals on the system with out having to use an additional "air" antenna. Does anyone know when that's going to happen?
mroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:20 AM   #1181
Iceblade
Hockey is my Life

mroe,

It's based on the particular TV market that you currently reside in. I believe they have rolled out locals to the top 40? markets at this point in time. If you live in the rural backwoods of Arkansas or something, I wouldn't hold my breath. If you live close to a MAJOR metropolitan city, then you most likely will be converted in the next year to two years. Please understand, "HD locals" does not imply ALL of the digital locals that you could possibly pull in with an OTA antenna. It's only the "Big Four" or "Big Five" for now... and sometimes not even that. I believe CBS is still having fits with D* and so many markets aren't even seeing CBS.

Hope that helps.

Regs,
Jeff
Iceblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #1182
Rottluver

When I moved up to Seattle from L.A. last summer, D* told me I needed that extra antenna for HD.........don't know if that is still the case or not, haven't looked into it since then. :shrug:
Old 05-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #1183
baatz
TechoFobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroe
I am very interested in upgrading to HD Tivo, but would like to know when DTV is going to to start having HD locals on the system with out having to use an additional "air" antenna. Does anyone know when that's going to happen?
I too would LOVE to be able to TiVo my HD signals from the D* Mpeg4 local channels... But, as far as I know, UNFORTUNATELY, there are no plans for a TiVo that will handle Mpeg4, such as those signals used by D* for the local HD signals? The TiVo/D* HD10-250 does OTA HD, but not Mpeg4???

The only thing that I have heard up til now is that D* will have a non-TiVo DVR for use with Mpeg4 signals by sometime "soon". Maybe this summer? Yeck...

It's my impression that D* has opted to do their own DVRs and not use TiVo on future receivers? I truly hate to hear that.

I currently receive the Big Four networks from Tampa Florida via D* on the H20-100 receiver. I've kept my SD DirecTiVos but as you probably know, they sadly don't do HD... <deep sigh>
baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #1184
bythecshore

Want to upgrade to HD TiVo... How?

I have Comcast (CT) cable, no box, with a TiVo series 2. I want to get a wide-screen HD TV which means upgrading the cable and especially TiVo, which is all I watch.

Is TiVo the answer - or the supplied Comcast DVR (is that TiVo)?

I imagine there's a thread somewhere here where this is discussed. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
bythecshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #1185
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

The DVR's offered by Comcast are NOT Tivo's.

They do function, but are not using Tivo software and many Tivo folks would find them a "bit" primitive. However, as I said they do work.

I believe Comcast is using the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #1186
bythecshore

Any downside to Comcast DVR?

You mention that the Comcast DVR is not as good as the TiVo... any particilar features missing, for example, can you watch one (recorded) show while recording another?

What are the other downsides?
bythecshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:53 AM   #1187
Kunzorama

Comcast PVRs

Lots of Comcast customers who opt for PVR through Comcast get the Motorola 6412. It's not Tivo, but it is HD and does performs the basics. Because of Comcast's investment relationship with Tivo, there's a good chance that Comcast will actually be offering Tivo service through the boxes they supply sometime in the not too distant future. (It's conceivable that they could even push a software upgrade out to existing STBs, but that seems unlikely to me.)

There a few good threads on this topic at avsforum (com), including one titled "Official Comcast 6412 w/ iGuide Discussion". I'd suggest you visit them and take a look. (I can't post a URL yet.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythecshore
I have Comcast (CT) cable, no box, with a TiVo series 2. I want to get a wide-screen HD TV which means upgrading the cable and especially TiVo, which is all I watch.

Is TiVo the answer - or the supplied Comcast DVR (is that TiVo)?

I imagine there's a thread somewhere here where this is discussed. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Kunzorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #1188
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

Quote:
You mention that the Comcast DVR is not as good as the TiVo... any particilar features missing, for example, can you watch one (recorded) show while recording another?

Most DVR's will do 85 - 90% of what most people would want. They time shift, they pause, they rewind, you can program which shows you want to record.

The two giants in the DVR world are Tivo and ReplayTV. Tivo rose to pre-eminence due to its tie-in with DirecTV. There are vociferous advocates for both platforms and I do not wish to start that discussion... I currently own and have owned both Replay and Tivo units and love them both. I mostly use Tivo now because I wanted HD and Replay never came out with an HD unit to my knowledge. I also appreciate having the STB and DVR in the same box. I have always felt the quality of the recording is better this way as there are fewer analog to digital conversions taking place.

Now to actually answer your question...

What Replay and Tivo do that most of the other DVR's do not do is software related.... one in prioritizing which shows are more important to record and secondly in that Replay and Tivo are what is called "show-based" recording devices where most other DVR's are simply digital versions of a VCR.... you tell it what channel you want at what time and that is what gets recorded... it may seem to be show-based because you are clicking on the name of a show to record, but under the makeup the recorder is simply making a notation to record a specific channel from time A to time B.

Show based recordings can follow the show if it is moved or pre-empted... (most of the time) nothing is fool-proof!
Old 05-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #1189
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunzorama
Because of Comcast's investment relationship with Tivo, there's a good chance that Comcast will actually be offering Tivo service through the boxes they supply sometime in the not too distant future. (It's conceivable that they could even push a software upgrade out to existing STBs, but that seems unlikely to me.)
In a conference call with investors, that's exactly what Tivo said they'd be doing (pushing a software upgrade out to existing STBs).

--chris
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:14 PM   #1190
Delegator

Quote:

TiVo's advantage is the UI and functionality. Some of the things I have seen with my Scientific Atlanta (Adelphia) box, or a friend's Motorola (Comcast) box, include:

Scientific Atlanta box from Adelphia:
- only keeps 7 days of program guide, versus 14 for TiVo
- only lets you search for shows on a particular day, and only by the first letter of the show name, as opposed to the first n letters (however many you want to put in) for TiVo
- allows broad theme searches, with no sub-themes, no actor searches, etc
- if you start watching a show that is being recorded, and you come in during the middle of the show, you have to rewind to the beginning. There is no option to start playing a currently-being-recorded show from the beginning
- if you are watching a show that is currently being recorded, the DVR will skip you back to the beginning when the show ends in real time. So, if you were (for example) halfway through, you'll have to fast-forward to that point to pick up where you left off
- is very unreliable when you try to record multiple episodes of a show. The only options are "all episodes on this channel in this time slot" and "all episodes on this channel in any time slot". The idea of "this time slot" seems to not work at all ( sometimes it picks up the show in other time slots, and sometimes a 5-minute difference means you will miss a showing)
- has no concept of show IDs, first run versus repeats, etc.
- has no ability to recommend shows based on viewing habits
- shows only 5-6 channels at a time in the program guide

Motorola box from Comcast:
- Will turn itself on in order to record. That's great, except that, when it does this, it will turn itself off when the recording is completed. So, if the DVR had turned itself on to record, and you decide to watch something else on the other tuner, you will randomly have the DVR turn itself off when the show you are recording (but not watching) is finished.
- has similar shortcomings to the SA box when it comes to season passes, folowing shows that air at different times, and so on.

I obviously have more experience with the SA box. I hope this shows how much better the TiVo software is. I can't wait for the series 3 to make my HD DVR obsolete.
Delegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #1191
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delegator
TiVo's advantage is the UI and functionality. Some of the things I have seen with my Scientific Atlanta (Adelphia) box, or a friend's Motorola (Comcast) box, include:

- only lets you search for shows on a particular day, and only by the first letter of the show name, as opposed to the first n letters (however many you want to put in) for TiVo
- if you start watching a show that is being recorded, and you come in during the middle of the show, you have to rewind to the beginning. There is no option to start playing a currently-being-recorded show from the beginning
- if you are watching a show that is currently being recorded, the DVR will skip you back to the beginning when the show ends in real time. So, if you were (for example) halfway through, you'll have to fast-forward to that point to pick up where you left off
- is very unreliable when you try to record multiple episodes of a show. The only options are "all episodes on this channel in this time slot" and "all episodes on this channel in any time slot". The idea of "this time slot" seems to not work at all ( sometimes it picks up the show in other time slots, and sometimes a 5-minute difference means you will miss a showing)

- Will turn itself on in order to record. That's great, except that, when it does this, it will turn itself off when the recording is completed. So, if the DVR had turned itself on to record, and you decide to watch something else on the other tuner, you will randomly have the DVR turn itself off when the show you are recording (but not watching) is finished.
- has similar shortcomings to the SA box when it comes to season passes, folowing shows that air at different times, and so on.

I obviously have more experience with the SA box. I hope this shows how much better the TiVo software is. I can't wait for the series 3 to make my HD DVR obsolete.
All your post did was make me grateful that my 3 Series ONE Tivos (DirecTV) are all fully functional and in great shape (knock on wood) and makes me never ever want to use anything but them
Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #1192
stayton

Virtues of TiVo vs Time Warner DVR

I recentlly bought an HDTV and moved into Time Warner's area. Because my TiVo can't do HD, I tried out the Time Warner DVR - but kept my TiVo going with my second television.

Someone earlier said that most DVR's can do 85-90% of what TiVo can do, and went on to discuss it quite well. However, there's one thing missing, I think.

My Time Warner DVR is only as smart as Time Warner apparently. And that's not too good. So its guide is often way off. For instance, when the NBA game is scheduled to bump local programming on our CBS affiliate (with several days warning), Time Warner DVR doesn't know it. But TiVo does!

This type of thing happens a lot, and not just with sports programming.

Another thing: when you tell the TW DVR to record all new episodes, it doesn't! If there are back to back episodes, it only records the first one. Stupid!

Also, tonight was the Alias finale, and my Time Warner DVR pooped out after 1 hr minutes. But luckily my TiVo in second bedroom recorded the entire 2 hours. Can you imagine missing the last 15 minutes of a 5 year series?

So can someone please tell me when I can get HDTV via TiVo - and I will RUN, not walk, to it! (PS - I'm no techie, but I am desperate to have my TiVo and HD too!)
Old 05-23-2006, 03:17 AM   #1193
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

The only way currently is with DirecTV and an HR10-250 HD-Tivo.... (which why I have two of the silly things)
Old 05-23-2006, 06:40 AM   #1194
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delegator

wow...I had no idea...these are MAJOR shortcomings in my book and make the DVR useless...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:42 AM   #1195
newsposter
Poster of News

stayton, go to newegg and get a HDtivo for 400 bucks. You wont be sorry (unless you can't get OTA). of course it depends on the channels you watch, that's the most important decision in getting the HDtivo.

!

Old 05-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #1196
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
stayton, go to newegg and get a HDtivo for 400 bucks. You wont be sorry (unless you can't get OTA). of course it depends on the channels you watch, that's the most important decision in getting the HDtivo.
That won't do him any good unless he switches to DirecTV...

--chris
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:38 AM   #1197
stayton

DirectTV and TiVo

OK, so if I switch to DirectTV, I can have a TiVo box that records HD?
Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 AM   #1198
llogan

Yup,

HBO, Showtime, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN, Discovery and any channels that you can receive with an over-the-air (OTA) antenna - those would be your 'local' channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, etc.)

That's what we're doing at my house and at my girlfriend's until DirecTV comes out with their own high definition DVR that handles mpeg4.
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99
llogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #1199
stayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by llogan
Yup,

HBO, Showtime, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN, Discovery and any channels that you can receive with an over-the-air (OTA) antenna - those would be your 'local' channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, etc.)

That's what we're doing at my house and at my girlfriend's until DirecTV comes out with their own high definition DVR that handles mpeg4.

Thanks - I'm fairly new except that I've had a TiVo since 2004 and love it. Am really shell-shocked by how poor the information is that guides the Time Warner DVR.

Question about the over the air antena for HD. Does it input to the TiVo box along with the cable?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #1200
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayton
Thanks - I'm fairly new except that I've had a TiVo since 2004 and love it. Am really shell-shocked by how poor the information is that guides the Time Warner DVR.

Question about the over the air antena for HD. Does it input to the TiVo box along with the cable?
the cable? you mean directv right? There are inputs for one OTA (split internally so you can record 2 shows) and there are 2 sat. inputs. So you can record 1 sat/1ota, or 2 sats or 2 ota at once, all while watching a prerecorded program.

to be clear, hdtivo only works with directv. And if you aren't able to get OTA, you'll be disappointed, assuming you watch the networks of course.

Also note that the Hd stuff like HDnet will currently work with the HDtivo just fine. However, at SOME point (anywhere from months to years but there are other threads for those arguments how long), HD will very likely be all mpeg4 and you will NOT be able to record HD via satellite. Since no one actually knows when this will take place, it's a calculated risk to enter the market at this time.

SD will definitely be mpeg2 for a very long time so you would always have that plus OTA HD of course. I'm happy with that but everyone is different

!