TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #331
Blitz68

Here is what I want to do. I have an HR10-250 with the Super Bowl recorded. I want to make this DVR networkable without reimaging. I am going to have a full backup image before doing this. It is my understanding if I use Instant Cake I will erase all of my recording and settings...right?
Blitz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #332
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz68
Here is what I want to do. I have an HR10-250 with the Super Bowl recorded. I want to make this DVR networkable without reimaging. I am going to have a full backup image before doing this. It is my understanding if I use Instant Cake I will erase all of my recording and settings...right?
InstantCake is for reimaging drives, not networking; and yes, it will overwrite everything the drive used. We do not recommend using your original drive.

You can use PTVnetHD for networking, however that is beyond the scope of this thread which is intended for DIY folks using the LBA48 CD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #333
johnny*dangerous

HELP!
I have a t-60 with a 300g drive. This is what I did - tell me where I may have gone wrong....

After receiving the 3.5 upgrade, many of my shows in the now playing list were not working, as well as my cachecard.

I reinstalled the cachecard with /nic_install/nic_install cachecard (from the iso disc) It asked me if it could disable the initrd - I said yes.

After the install was complete, I used the 4.04 LBA48 iso from PTV Upgrade.

All I did was boot the disk and type "copykern" and followed instructions to ensure I had the correct hard drive.

It said it was successful and I rebooted and hooked the t-60 back up. The cachecard is working but the shows still aren't working.

Did I miss something in my process?

Johnny
johnny*dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:34 PM   #334
Rhughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny*dangerous
HELP!
I have a t-60 with a 300g drive. This is what I did - tell me where I may have gone wrong....

After receiving the 3.5 upgrade, many of my shows in the now playing list were not working, as well as my cachecard.

Did I miss something in my process?

Johnny
With the 3.5 upgrade you can no longer use all of a large hard drive because the new kernel won't support it. I'm sure it won't be long before we have another kernel for large HD support with the Series 1 DirecTiVo's.
Rhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #335
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhughes
With the 3.5 upgrade you can no longer use all of a large hard drive because the new kernel won't support it. I'm sure it won't be long before we have another kernel for large HD support with the Series 1 DirecTiVo's.
Please take a look at the first post of this thread - there is already one available.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:24 AM   #336
johnny*dangerous

I solved it - for some reason it wasn't copying the kernal properly, I had to mount the cd rom again and then copykern.

Everything is up and running now.
johnny*dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #337
john_o

I am having trouble with the copykern utility -- I am not convinced it is actually copying the kernel over since when I put the drive back in my TiVo it still reboots during playback and many shows are not accessible.

I have telnet and ftp back up -- can anyone give me the file path where the kernel lives? I remember seeing a reference from tivoupgrade but I can't find it for the life of me now. I presume I can just ftp the 3.1.0+ kernel image over from the cd and swap it out?

Does the utility move the 3.1.0+ kernel to both the 3 and 6 partitions?

Will the kernel rev # be reflected in the TiVo System Information screen?

Last edited by john_o : 05-20-2006 at 09:58 PM. Reason: wrong partition numbers
john_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #338
Rhughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Please take a look at the first post of this thread - there is already one available.
I guess that's what I get for reading the lastest posts instead of going back and starting from the beginning.
Rhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #339
john_o

Of those who have successfully upgraded to the LBA48 kernel, do you have issues with the video image not clearing when you get the 'keep/delete this episode prompt?' (i.e. you see the show you were just watching rather than the blue background?) This is what makes me wonder if I am actually at 3.1.0+ or not...
Old 05-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #340
PyroMan

Cannot load kernel

I have a SAT-T60 that I forgot to pull the phone line from and it received the upgrade. The drive had recently been upgraded to 300GB and now upon boot it says "Cannot load kernel" or something to that effect. For now I have loaded the original HD back into the unit and pulled the upgraded drive.

Most people on this site have stated that they can boot, but cannot view all of their shows. I would like to know if I should be able to use this CD, along with the one at SiliconDust forums and be able to get my unit working again with the upgraded HD? The unit in question is currently not networked, but I am considering doing this in the future.

Second issue, I have another identical unit that I was able to stop from updating. Do I just follow the directions in the first post prior to allowing the unit to take the update and reboot or after?

Thanks!
PyroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #341
john_o

Looks like TiVo finally posted the 3.5 source.

http://www.tivo.com/linux/linux.asp

I look forward to a rev of 3.5 with an LBA48 kernel, as the 3.1.0+ / LBA48 sidegrade has been extremely unstable, rebooting several times an hour...

By the way, if you are running TivoWebPlus you will probably notice that a bunch of stuff broke. 3.5 uses V3 rather than V2 of the guide directory, but the script in index.ictl thinks that all 3.x revs use V2. As noted on other web sites, you need to change this:

if {$::version >= 3} {
set guideindexdir "/GuideIndexV2" <---- This changes to V3
} else {
set guideindexdir "/GuideIndex"
}
Old 05-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #342
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_o
Looks like TiVo finally posted the 3.5 source.

http://www.tivo.com/linux/linux.asp

I look forward to a rev of 3.5 with an LBA48 kernel, as the 3.1.0+ / LBA48 sidegrade has been extremely unstable, rebooting several times an hour...
To my knowledge, TiVo has not posted the 3.5 kernel changes. You may want to look into other potential causes of the instability you are experiencing. We've installed the kernel on MANY systems and have done quite a bit of testing with no problems at all.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #343
JamieP

Quote:
To my knowledge, TiVo has not posted the 3.5 kernel changes.
It was there yesterday, but it appears to have been since pulled.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #344
john_o

http://tivo.com/linux/35/Tivo-3.5-cmd.tar.gz
http://tivo.com/linux/35/TiVo-3.5-linux-2.1.tar.gz

With 3.1.0+ (presuming it actually installed properly, of which I am not convinced) new shows are fine, old ones have pretty much had a shotgun taken to them. Going into "Pick Programs to Record" often triggers a reboot.

How can I actually confirm that the Universal Boot CD did indeed move the 3.1 kernel over? The error checking on the tpio script is pretty poor.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:10 PM   #345
JamieP

Dead links for me. Like I said, it looks like they were removed since yesterday.
Quote:
How can I actually confirm that the Universal Boot CD did indeed move the 3.1 kernel over? The error checking on the tpio script is pretty poor.
"uname -a" on the tivo will provide kernel version information. The build date/time generally can uniquely identify a kernel build.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:49 PM   #346
john_o

OK, *that's* weird, i just downloaded them a minute before I posted. 6.5 MB and 5.8 MB. Can send to whoever needs them.

Results of uname -a:

Linux (none) 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5 #9 Wed May 10 11:08:35 EDT 2006 ppc unknown
Old 05-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #347
JamieP

Quote:
OK, *that's* weird, i just downloaded them a minute before I posted. 6.5 MB and 5.8 MB. Can send to whoever needs them.

Results of uname -a:

Linux (none) 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5 #9 Wed May 10 11:08:35 EDT 2006 ppc unknown
Near as I can tell, you have the 3.1+ kernel Todd compiled:
Code:
.../s1_kernels/kernel-3.1+ % strings vmlinux-3.1.px  | grep "Linux version"
Linux version 2.1.24-TiVo-2.5 (millert@inverness.columbia.ads.sparta.com) (gcc version 2.8.1) #9 Wed May 10 11:08:35 EDT 2006
Note that the data and time of the build match yours exactly.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:58 PM   #348
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
http://tivo.com/linux/35/Tivo-3.5-cmd.tar.gz
http://tivo.com/linux/35/TiVo-3.5-linux-2.1.tar.gz

With 3.1.0+ (presuming it actually installed properly, of which I am not convinced) new shows are fine, old ones have pretty much had a shotgun taken to them. Going into "Pick Programs to Record" often triggers a reboot.
I don't think that's an indication that the 3.1.0+ kernel is unstable; its more likely an indication that the files became corrupt during the interim period prior to the 3.1.0+ kernel being installed...

Old 05-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #349
john_o

Thanks, JamieP, appreciate the confirmation.

Quote:
I don't think that's an indication that the 3.1.0+ kernel is unstable; its more likely an indication that the files became corrupt during the interim period prior to the 3.1.0+ kernel being installed...
While that's a possibility (though what could have caused the corruption? simply accessing shows that crossed over the 120MB kernel limit before updating the kernel?) it doesn't explain the immediate reboot when I access the "To Do List" in the "Pick Programs To Record" menu.

One thing I don't understand -- shouldn't I be seeing the whole disk rather than just 120-ish GB? Here's what I get with df:

Code:
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda7             126911   16832   103526     14%   /
/dev/hda9             126911   22607    97751     19%   /var
I see "up to 146 hours" in the System Info screen.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:10 AM   #350
PyroMan

Quote:
To my knowledge, TiVo has not posted the 3.5 kernel changes. You may want to look into other potential causes of the instability you are experiencing. We've installed the kernel on MANY systems and have done quite a bit of testing with no problems at all.
They are there again. I can't attach them because of there size, but I can post them on a website if they disappear again:
Commands, Modules
Tivo-3.5-cmd.tar.gz
MD5 372448D947299EEDDF2442F07F30A610

Linux for Power PC
TiVo-3.5-linux-2.1.tar.gz
MD5 93614277E35A2A8147D17AE28CCC756E
PyroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:07 PM   #351
john_o

While I'm willing to accept that 3.1.0+ is stable for some, has anyone with 3.1.0+ seen the following?

1) instant reboot when entering the "To Do List"
2) video image in background of "Now Playing List" (rather than standard TiVo background) after accepting "Delete this recording" of a show just watched
3) reboots while watching certain shows recorded prior to the 3.5 update

For that matter, did anyone with an unpatched 3.5, >120GB system seen these issues *before* going to 3.1.0+?

Can anyone running 3.1.0+ confirm that the updated kernel allows them stable access to all shows recorded prior to the 3.5 update?

Thanks,
johnny0
Old 06-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #352
danmcd

Quote:
While I'm willing to accept that 3.1.0+ is stable for some, has anyone with 3.1.0+ seen the following?

1) instant reboot when entering the "To Do List"
2) video image in background of "Now Playing List" (rather than standard TiVo background) after accepting "Delete this recording" of a show just watched
3) reboots while watching certain shows recorded prior to the 3.5 update

For that matter, did anyone with an unpatched 3.5, >120GB system seen these issues *before* going to 3.1.0+?
#1 --> No, but I get reboots when playing shows.

#2 --> Yes. I thought this might be a "feature" of the new bits.

#3 --> Absolutely yes. And given your previous posts, I'm guessing just upgrading the kernel will not allow me to recover those shows. Oh well. Good thing our archived children's shows get rerun all of the time.

I'm upgrading my kernel tonight using copykern and the free LBA48 CD. I hope it works...
danmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #353
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:

While that's a possibility (though what could have caused the corruption? simply accessing shows that crossed over the 120MB kernel limit before updating the kernel?) it doesn't explain the immediate reboot when I access the "To Do List" in the "Pick Programs To Record" menu.
Yes, that is all it would take; and corruption could absolutely explain the immediate reboot. Remember, your to-do list contains information about the shows and where they live on the drive. If that information became corrupt, as it is like to have become when a kernel ran on the system that could not keep track of information beyond the 137GB barrier, it could cause the system to panic.

Quote:
One thing I don't understand -- shouldn't I be seeing the whole disk rather than just 120-ish GB? Here's what I get with df:

Code:
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/hda7             126911   16832   103526     14%   /
/dev/hda9             126911   22607    97751     19%   /var
I see "up to 146 hours" in the System Info screen.

Remember, df doesn't show you the whole drive; the mfs partitions, which are raw partitions, don't show up with a df...

... I don't think you are dealing with a kernel problem here, or the problems would be across the board (ie happening on all systems using it, not just a few where the kernel has been installed after the update has taken place).

Old 06-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #354
danmcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcd
I'm upgrading my kernel tonight using copykern and the free LBA48 CD. I hope it works...
I just got back from my friend's house (I've no whitebox PCs in my house, just my AMD64 work laptop and our Macs). The kernel upgrade (using copykern) seems to have worked, and kill_initrd indicated there was no initrd on my HD.

I'm waving the dead-chicken of "remove all shows", which IIRC is a self-initiating MFS format. Hopefully from here on out there will be no problems or corruptions of recordings.

BTW, I was damned lucky my friend had kill_initrd - I didn't see it on the LBA48 disk, and it really should be there for folks to at least verify they don't *need* it.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #355
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:

BTW, I was damned lucky my friend had kill_initrd - I didn't see it on the LBA48 disk, and it really should be there for folks to at least verify they don't *need* it.
killinitrd won't work as you'd expect it to if it were on the lba48 CD; when run on series1 drives, you need to boot the kernel differently than its set up for on the lba48 CD; that is why, in the 3.5 migration thread, we recommend you just use the silicondust network driver CD to do that part... i know that is not clear from this thread - but we drifted off-topic here several posts ago - it is discussed in more detail here, though:

Series1 DirecTiVo Software Update (3.5.0) Migration Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #356
danmcd

Thumbs up

Quote:
that is why, in the 3.5 migration thread, we recommend you just use the silicondust network driver CD to do that part...
That's funny - we found it on a network driver CD he had purchased from you guys (probably the very Silicon Dust one). Well, that confirms we did the right thing.

Now I just gotta go see if the reformat's done yet...
Old 06-01-2006, 10:33 PM   #357
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
That's funny - we found it on a network driver CD he had purchased from you guys (probably the very Silicon Dust one). Well, that confirms we did the right thing.

Now I just gotta go see if the reformat's done yet...
True - yes, its on the Universal Boot CD; that CD does contain the proper boot environment and also the Silicondust drivers, and killinitrd; but the recommendation we made was related to the free stuff, not stuff you have to pay for...

Old 06-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #358
dumpav

Is this the right thread to ask about instant cake question?

I have a HUMAX DRT 800 with DVDR and a 500GB drive.

I want to know is this the right item i should order/download?
Code: ICAKE-S2SA
Price:$19.99
Tivo model number HUMAX DRT800(+9.99 -large download)

what does it mean "large download"?

if i buy this IC do i need to run any special command? to set up the swap file for a 500GB drive?
or it will automatic do the optimize the setting for me?

thanks
dumpav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #359
AdventureDude

Bad, Bad, InstantCake (The comany)

My hard drive was dying on my Sony Series one. I had upgraded it 3 years ago and was aware of the process. I was also aware that it took me the better part of a Saturday to do. I was not looking forward to it.

I decided to purchase the InstantCake ISO. It promised to be an easy way to rebuild the system without too much work.

I purchased the system on 5/12 (21 days ago)

TWO days later I get an email saying I might have some problems (rebooting, freezing, some programs not working).

A week later, those promised problems arise.

I've done some research and I found out the PTVUpgrades knew about the problem several weeks before they sold me the software, and released and updated CD two days later.

When I asked them for the updated ISO so that I can have the simple install (that works) that I purchased, they tell me that I can use the update (which requires a familiarity with MFS tools) or rebuy the software.

They are jerks, and I will not do business with them again. I write this as a warning to others.

To be fair:
The software was simple to use.
Their tech support responded quickly.

To be even more fair:
Solving my problem could not have been eaiser and I can't imagine how they think charging me twice for software that didn't work the first time was 'fair'.

I'm very dissapointed

Tony Wilson
Old 06-02-2006, 12:28 AM   #360
dumpav

thanks for the info, so how you finally fix your problem? do you pay again for their buggy software?

if i am not using their software are there any easy way to do my own?

As i am confuse there are so many different version, like Hinsdale, weaknees.... and from different post, some said some of the iso not support large drive. Some need to dl another disc to set up swap file.

I just hope there is a clean easy way to set up my box.
dumpav is offline   Reply With Quote