TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #301
seanmcgpa
Directv Joyrider

Question HR10-250 upgrading

Hey guys... I need some advice from the experts, please.

A couple years ago, I bought an HR10-250 HDTivo (with the original 250GB drive). I used the LBA48 CD to add another 250GB drive. Two years of joy.

Now I'm getting symptoms of HD failure ... random reboots, I can hear one of the HDs make a soft "click" noise occasionally. Shows are recording a minute late into a program, etc.

I purchased two 2 500GB PATA drives as replacements and need advice on how to proceed. I would love to copy my [2x250] -> [2x500] and then use the additional space, but is this possible since I've already added a drive once?

Or do I need to make a backup of just the HR10-250 file system (without recordings) to move over to the new drives? I had made a backup of the original file system two years ago, but I cannot find the tivo.bak image anywhere.

I have an old computer with a SCSI cd rom and 4 EIDE ports, so in theory I could make a backup of the original drives and save my recordings ....

Any advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated. I am getting a lot of aggro from the wife regarding Lost (rebooting in the middle, lost half the episode), and usabillity etc.

seanmcgpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #302
Rhughes

When I look at the PTV page, I see PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.02 which is free, and PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.02 Enhancements which costs $5. Could someone tell me the difference between the free version and the $5 version? I don't mind spending the $5, but what will it do for me that the free version won't?
Rhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #303
azitnay

If you're just looking to upgrade a TiVo to a bigger hard drive, the enhancements version isn't really necessary. There's a list of the enhancements on:

http://downloads.ptvupgrade.com/Merc...Category_Code=

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:34 PM   #304
PatC

Old Dell XPS T450 IC Boot Problem

Hi, I downloaded the IC for my TCD540040 to upgrade the 40 hour to a 160GB WD hard drive. Using a Dell XPS T450 PIII machine with two IDE controllers I could not get the IC CD to boot from the Primary Slave position, No OS found.

Anyway, after fooling around, I found the IC CD would boot from the Secondary IDE on either Master or Slave CD drives. So, I removed the Master CD drive on the Secondary IDE and installed the new HD as the Master on the Secondary IDE. I removed the Primary IDE cable from the MB and booted to the IC CD in the Slave CD drive on the Secondary IDE. The only installed were"

IDE1 Drive 0 none PM (cable not connected)
IDE1 Drive 1 none PS (cable not connected)

IDE2 Drive 0 SM New 160Gb WD HD
IDE2 Drive 1 SS HP CD Writer (Booted with IC CD)

Instant Cake baked my cake and returned the following messages:

Starting Restore
1010 of 1010 MB 100% at 33% Compression
Adding Pair /dev/hdc14-/dev/hdc15
New Standalone Size: 174 Hours (134 more)

Your Cake has been successfully baked. Please shutdown your computer remove the drive and install it in your TiVo. Don't forget to clear and delete.

Does this look like a successful install?
Does IC support booting from the IDE2 Slave position with a one drive upgrade conected to the IDE2 Master?
Thanks, Pat
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #305
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

DirecTV 3.5 software update

I've edited the first post in this thread with the following information:

[Note: As of 4/26/06 DirecTV, is releasing version 3.5 of the TiVo software; this kernel is NOT lba48-aware. CopyKern will NOT install a compatible version of the kernel for 3.5. Please stay tuned for more details as they become available.]

So, bottom line is this -- for those of you with > 137GB drives in your Series1 DirecTiVo units, you most likely will experience problems when the 3.5 software is ultimately installed on your unit. (you may want to unplug your phone lines in the interim).

The CopyKern utility on our utility disk does not install a kernel compatible with 3.5 (only its predecessors, 2.5.2 and 3.1.0). Hopefully, a new lba48-enabled kernel will become available soon; we'll update the free lba48 cd with any updated kernels, and a newer version of CopyKern, as well.

Stay tuned...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 12:49 AM   #306
ccallana

So if I'm reading this correctly - I can use the PTVupgrade CD with LBA48 support to copy my 120GB drive (which is about to throw a bearing) onto a 200GB drive, and Tivo will see the whole drive?

Box is a Philips 40GB originally, upgraded to 120 a few years ago.

Thanks
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 07:31 AM   #307
HomeUser

Yes, without saving recordings. No if you want to keep recordings.

If you want to keep recordings you either need to offload the recordings or "image copy" the 120G to the new drive the TiVo will see only the 120G.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 AM   #308
ccallana

Thanks! Worked Great! - although it took a lot longer than I expected - started @ 11:30pm last nite - didn't finish the restore until 5:30pm today - 18 hours..... seems a bit long. either way, it worked - kept everything, have a newer drive - and a bigger one to boot.

ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #309
funtoupgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentboren

If you search through the cd to find the correct replacement kernel, note its name and path, and enter the same string generated by copykern with the corrected kernel name and path, tpip should work as advertised. I verified this on the 2 different PTV boot CDs I have been using and was able to make them both work.

My 2 cents. I hope this helps others save some of the debug time I have spent.
Brent
As you indicated, the canned copykern script looks for the new kernels in the wrong place so does not really update the kernel even though it seems to with error messages.

After a couple of hours of fooling around I also came to the same conclusion but darn if I can find the kernels anywhere in any of the directories on the CD. I'm looking for the series 3 standalone.

TiVo Series3 648 with 1TB Seagate
Humax DRT800 with 650GB Seagate
Old 05-02-2006, 11:35 PM   #310
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtoupgrade
As you indicated, the canned copykern script looks for the new kernels in the wrong place so does not really update the kernel even though it seems to with error messages.

After a couple of hours of fooling around I also came to the same conclusion but darn if I can find the kernels anywhere in any of the directories on the CD. I'm looking for the series 3 standalone.
They are there...

Make sure you've mounted the CDROM properly, they are not in the initrd (ergo, not in ramdisk) but on the CD itself in the s1_kernels folder...

Old 05-03-2006, 12:44 AM   #311
funtoupgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
They are there...

Make sure you've mounted the CDROM properly, they are not in the initrd (ergo, not in ramdisk) but on the CD itself in the s1_kernels folder...
I just figured this out by myself before reading this post. Somehow I missed, or never read, or it was not there that I needed to enter the mountcd command before running copykern. As soon as I did this the copykern ran fine and updated the kernel.

In my opinion, everytime copykern is mentioned there ought to be a footnote or parentheses reminding user to enter mountcd before running copykern. It really would have been helpful if that had been part of the script during the copykern process. In fact, what harm would there be in your copykern script mounting the CDrom automatically so user did not have to do this?

Very happy to finally have figured this out but many hours wasted fooling with it.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 PM   #312
funtoupgrade

One more thing I am not sure about regarding copykern. Do you need to use it when you have two drives that total more than 137GB, or just if one or both drives are bigger than 137GB? I'm guessing no since the copykern script asks which drive is the TiVo drive and does not seem to provide option for two drives.

Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 AM   #313
azitnay

The total size of the two drives together doesn't matter... The problem you're dealing with here pertains to the size of a single drive. If it's bigger than 137GB, you need LBA48 to address the whole drive.

I've never used copykern, but I'd imagine it only needs to know about the A drive, since that's where the kernel is.

Drew
Old 05-04-2006, 03:34 PM   #314
funtoupgrade

Thanks, I think I'm finally all squared away on copykern.

Old 05-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #315
gr8reb8
Looking for deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I've edited the first post in this thread with the following information:

[Note: As of 4/26/06 DirecTV, is releasing version 3.5 of the TiVo software; this kernel is NOT lba48-aware. CopyKern will NOT install a compatible version of the kernel for 3.5. Please stay tuned for more details as they become available.]

So, bottom line is this -- for those of you with > 137GB drives in your Series1 DirecTiVo units, you most likely will experience problems when the 3.5 software is ultimately installed on your unit. (you may want to unplug your phone lines in the interim).

The CopyKern utility on our utility disk does not install a kernel compatible with 3.5 (only its predecessors, 2.5.2 and 3.1.0). Hopefully, a new lba48-enabled kernel will become available soon; we'll update the free lba48 cd with any updated kernels, and a newer version of CopyKern, as well.

Stay tuned...

Alas, I saw this message to late. Now my DSR6000 never gets past the powering on message....
gr8reb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #316
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
Yep. If you have access to a spare drive less than 137 GB, re-image to it to 3.1x and let it upgrade (or not) and at least get some use out of your DTiVo until a compatible LBA48-aware kernel is added to the upgrade CDs.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #317
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Yep. If you have access to a spare drive less than 137 GB, re-image to it to 3.1x and let it upgrade (or not) and at least get some use out of your DTiVo until a compatible LBA48-aware kernel is added to the upgrade CDs.
An alternative would be to reimage after booting with a non-lba48 CD, then you will only be using 137GB of the drive, even if its a 160GB...

Old 05-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #318
mlamanuzzi

LBA48 Support Series 2 TCD540040

Hello everyone. I have a Series 2 model TCD540080. I bought a Maxtor QuickView 250GB drive to replace the one that came with my TiVo. I used the LBA48 BootCD to copy the TiVo's drive to the new drive using dd. The new drive works, but the recording time under system info still reads "up to 40 hours". Is there a way to make a Series 2 use a drive larger than 137GB? Shouldn't the TiVo at least recognize 137GB of the drive? I haven't been able to find a definite answer to this question, other than "it can be done". Please help.

Thank you,

Michael Lamanuzzi
mlamanuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #319
azitnay

The TiVo software doesn't magically determine that it's been moved to a bigger drive. You need to use MFS Tools 2.0 to tell it. Follow these instructions (you can most likely substitute the LBA48 boot CD it tells you to create with the PTV CD you've already created):

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php

Drew
Old 05-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #320
ashu
User title defunct

Yeah.

And if you DID use mfstools, it's possible you forgot a step.

Specifically, you need to run the mfsadd command to expand your drive (or tell the TiVo OS to use the available extra space, and the partitions therein)

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #321
lorenmcguire

OK. I have read almost all the postings in this area. Here is my system and problem.
System:
Phillips HDR212
Original Drive - 22 gig - Toasted beyond recovery

I have bought the PTVupgrade InstantCake CDROM for a Series 1 Standalone TiVo Unit.
Code: ICAKE-S1SA
Price:$19.99
Thought this would be the easy way to do this, I would not have to write the program, I would get a good restore CD and everything would be cool. NOT!!

I have followed the instructions on the CDROM to the letter. The CDROM is on the Primary IDE controller and a slave on that contoller. There is no primary drive, as I have removed the drive (was a windows drive and wanted to make sure it did not get toasted). The drive to be upgraded is on the secondary controller as a slave drive. There is no other hard disk in the system. The new drive is a 60 gig Maxtor MX6L060J3. This is a drive I have had in a Windows system which I recently upgraded.

During the "Baking" portion, it appears the scripts and so forth are copied into memory. The "Baking" occurs and says I now have good disk with like 47 hours available.

Adding Pair /dev/hdc12-/dev/hdc13

Your Cake has been successfully baked. Please shutdown your computer remove the drive and install it in your TiVo. Don't forget to clear and delete.
(OR SOMETHING LIKE THIS IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY)

Put the disk in the TiVo and the TiVo boots. It goes through a few cycles, asks me what my zipcode is, my phone number prefix, then dials. After dialing, the hard disk basicly is accessed for about 60 seconds or so, indicated by the hard disk red light going on and off. The screen then goes to the "Almost there. A few more seconds please" with the PTVupgrade logo on it. IT THEN REMAINS ON THIS SCREEN VIRTUALLY FOREVER.

I have also tried this with the following command line:
mfstool restore -r4 -b -x -p -s 300 -zi /cdrom/.images/000001

Took me a bit to figure out that the program on the disk unmounted the cdrom after copying what it needed into memory. I remount the cdrom, go to the mfstools directory, then access the image on the cdrom directly.

This above command line gets the same response at the end, stating a successful restore with 47 hours now available.

I have seen a couple of errors at the end of some of my attempts stating:

umount2: Device or resurce busy
umount: /dev/hdb busy - remounted read-only

I don't believe these errors are significant issues, as unmounting and mounting a file system with linux is not generally an issue. Hitting control-alt-delete sends a kill signal to all processes and will stop the machine.

This only appears to happen when using the PTVbake method, so not sure what that is all about. It doesn't happen all the time.

My questions are:
1. Why does the bake not work all the way?
2. Anyone ever seen the above 2 errors? (and are they significant)
3. Why would it be successful (according the cdrom load) but hang after being put in the TiVo
4. Is there a jumper setting that is specific to the TiVo hard drive? (does the drive have to be a Master, Slave, ????)

As a side note, I have used both an AMD 2000+ on an ECS Motherboard and an Intel 866 Slot 1 on an Abit motherboard. The results are the same.

As another side note, I have run the PTVupgrade cdrom in a Microsoft Virtual Machine with the same results on both the manual mfstool input and the run from the CDROM. I had to change the script on the CDROM a bit (and reburn it) because MVM does not put a hard disk on the secondary controller and the CDROM can only attach to the Secondary Controller. Other than that it worked fine.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I just want my TiVo!!!
lorenmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #322
tweekerz

I am in the same boat as you, but I have not successfully copied everything.

I have S2 130 Series AT&Tivo which started with a 40gb, that was upgraded and expanded to a 160 GB 5400 rpm

But now, the drive clicks when I have something on pause for more than 10 minutes.

Now, I am trying to copy everything over to a new 200GB.

I tried the PVxxx cd and instruc, and also the weaknees instruc. To no luck.

I even tried the dd: command, and that didnt work either.

What command lines did you use?

Specifics would help.

Thanks

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccallana
Thanks! Worked Great! - although it took a lot longer than I expected - started @ 11:30pm last nite - didn't finish the restore until 5:30pm today - 18 hours..... seems a bit long. either way, it worked - kept everything, have a newer drive - and a bigger one to boot.

tweekerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #323
lorenmcguire

Examples of restore with mfstools

The command line I actually used to restore the PTV image to the hard drive was:

mfstool restore -r4 -b -x -p -s 300 -zi /cdrom/.images/000001

This also required the mount for the cdrom. Here are the steps:

1. Boot from the PTV cdrom.
2. Let it go through to the point where it asks you if this is going to be a 1 drive or 2 drive installation.
3. Hit Control C - Ctrl key and C key at same time to abort the script
4. Type - fdisk - l (this is a lower case L)

The fdisk command will tell you what drives are connected and where they are mounted. The drive you want will be on hda, hdb, hdc, or hdd. The cdrom will also be on one of these. The mfstools-2 directory will be in the root partition. This actually is residing all in memory.

Type - mount /dev/hdb /cdrom (this will most likely be your cdrom if you have it connected to the primary ide controler as instructions state.

This should then allow you to run the mfstool restore command.

Let me know if this works for you. The -x option in the mfstool restore is to expand the "image" to fit the drive and have access to all the space. The 300 option is for caching purposes. (300 megabytes). If you look in the /bin directory you will also find a BlessTivo executable which is supposed to restore the boot partition (first few tracks) and make the drive bootable in the TiVo.

I have been programming for a number of years, including on Linux, HP, Windows and with a variety of programs including C, C++, Vis Basic, Basic, Shell Scripts and a lot of others, but this has got me stumped. Short of going over to a friends and sticking the hard drive on his PowerPC machine, I have about exhausted my options. At one point, I did a mfstools mfs /dev/hdc and I did get a listing from the drive of all the available partitions, but the thing still failed to completely work after putting it in the TiVo. Not sure if the TiVo has a problem, or I'm still doing something wrong.

Any insight would be appreciated. I have also tried the above commands without the -x option just to see if a simple restore of the image to the disk would work. It didn't.

Thanks.
lorenmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #324
claird

help with killinitrd

I have read and read but am still confused. I am not a linux user (sorry). I downloaded the free PTV cd ISO for kernel 3.10+ and burned the CD. Booted on the CD with my broken (3.5) Directivo series 1 160GB drive as secondary master (hdc). typed copykern and followed the prompts. But I simply do not understand killinitrd!
Is is a command: kill initrd ?
Is it a program somewhere on the CD?
Is it a program on the TIVO?
Do I have to mount something or change to something and then type something?
I see in the threads the utility program killhdinitrd which people vaguely state you can download and put onto a floppy or CD and then voila type killhdinitrd and Linux finds the media and utility somehow on its own, but where are the specific instructions on how to download a Linux utility and put it on a CD or floppy while using Windows XP?
Thanks for any replies that can help me fix this problem.
Craig Laird
claird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #325
tweekerz

Quote:
I have S2 130 Series AT&Tivo which started with a 40gb, that was upgraded and expanded to a 160 GB 5400 rpm

But now, the drive clicks when I have something on pause for more than 10 minutes.

Now, I am trying to copy everything over to a new 200GB.

Well I got everything to copy over... but I am unable to expand using the
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hda COMMAND.

I get Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

I used these commands to get it to copy EVERYTHING

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/dos
mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda
umount -f -a -r

Then tried to expand, but no luck
I just want more hours... but can live withou em, the rive only costed $30 during Black Friday!
tweekerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:28 PM   #326
azitnay

This is often the case when attempting to expand a second time... Most likely, you'll need to start over without recordings if you want to use the full 200GB.

Drew
Old 05-13-2006, 11:12 PM   #327
LastPlace

I'm having some trouble, too, with my Sony SVR-2000.

I tried to copy the image from the original 30GB to my new Seagate 7200.9 300GB hard drive but finally gave up and bought InstantCake.

I've "baked" it twice and both times it just hung at the initial "Powering Up..." screen.

Some more details:

Went through and got a message about it being successful and to do a clear-and-delete.

Put it in the TiVo and powered it up – it just stuck at Powering Up, just a minute...

Unplugged it, powered it down and started it back up – let it sit for about 3 hours but never made it past that same Powering Up, just a minute… screen.

Took the drive out, and figuring I missed something important the first time, I rebaked it. It seemed to go through fine and then said

Uncompressed backup size: 816 megabytes
Restoring 816 or 816 megabytes (100.00%) (83.78% compression)
Cleaning up restore. Please wait a moment.
Restore done!
Adding pair /dev/hdc12-/dev/hdc13
New estimated standalone size: 342 hours (312 more)

CONGRATULATIONS! Software installed…

Your cake is baked! You should now power down your PC and move your drives to the TiVo. Don’t forget to do a clear-and-delete everything once you’ve booted your unit for the first time with your new software.

umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /dev/hda busy – remounted read-only
/#

After a while the last line changed to
/# May 13 22:58:03 PTVupgrade syslog.info - - MARK - -

So given that I felt like I was "giving up" by going to InstantCake, I'm feeling particularly stumped! I did see that the image I bought had been successfully tested on a drive as large as 250GB and mine is 300GB. Given that it recognized the larger amount during the baking, that's not the problem is it?

Any help is most appreciated!
LastPlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 03:53 AM   #328
LastPlace

I was concerned that the jumpers may be the problem...

When I baked the new Seagate 300GB 7200.9 hard drive, I had the jumper in the Master position. I recall that was the correct placement but now I haven't been able to figure out where I read that and can refer back to for confirmation.

I had started up the TiVo with the Seagate's jumper still in the Master position and it hung at "Powering Up..."

To make sure it wasn't a jumper issue I've tried starting the TiVo with the jumper in each of the possible locations and got the same result each time; the unit just sits on the first "Powering Up..." screen.

And I've confirmed that the TiVo unit is not the problem because I restarted it with the original drive that came with it - no problem with that (other than the hard drive size)

So - what do I try next

Please - help me climb my way out of this "easy" project I got myself in to!

Thanx
Old 05-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #329
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

LastPlace...

You are posting in the wrong thread. FirstPlace ;-) to start is with the instructions ; from your first post, because it sounds like you may not have connected your drives properly. You may also want to read this thread and if you continue to have problems, use the official support thread as another resource. Thx.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #330
LastPlace

OOPS

I'm off to confirm I've read through the suggested links!