TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 AM   #31
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCarl
It has been reported at length, and in depth, on the sling community website.
I've generally felt Sling ignores everything in the IR related forums. I figure they're really probably somewhat overwhelmed because in general there does seem to be a certain openness about the company online -- so for now I've not worried too much about it. Though in my limited attempts to get an IR issue resolved, I've been ignored over there too.

The IR device database is filled with a bunch of crap though -- barely anything descriptive; lots of duplicates; no explanation of differences with similarly named things; incomplete stuff; it's a shame someone can't clean it up -- especially the TiVo related items. It's not like there's that many variations; and there's certainly some tech knowledge available to them around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:27 PM   #32
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

I have joined the Sling bandwagon. I ordered my unit and will get it next week. I am planning to connect it to the HD Tivo and because of the HD Tivo single RCA audio output, I need to route the audio from the HDTivo to the Slingbox and then route the Slingbox audio outputs to my TV inputs.

I have a wireless network at home and I use Airport as my router. I administer the router through my Mac which is connected to the network wirelessly. I bought the WGE111 adapter to use with the Slingbox next to my HD Tivo.

I am using a PC laptop with the Sling Player application that also has a wireless USB adapter and connects just fine with my Mac administered network at home. I am looking forward to watching on the laptop my HDTivo recordings or live channels on the road.

Doug, any warnings or advice to a new Slingbox user?
Morris Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #33
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Herman
I have joined the Sling bandwagon. I ordered my unit and will get it next week. I am planning to connect it to the HD Tivo and because of the HD Tivo single RCA audio output, I need to route the audio from the HDTivo to the Slingbox and then route the Slingbox audio outputs to my TV inputs.

I have a wireless network at home and I use Airport as my router. I administer the router through my Mac which is connected to the network wirelessly. I bought the WGE111 adapter to use with the Slingbox next to my HD Tivo.

I am using a PC laptop with the Sling Player application that also has a wireless USB adapter and connects just fine with my Mac administered network at home. I am looking forward to watching on the laptop my HDTivo recordings or live channels on the road.

Doug, any warnings or advice to a new Slingbox user?
None that come to mind. The whole process was pretty simple. Just get it registered before 4/26 so you get a free license for their mobile player.

I'm surprised you have no digital audio connection on your HDTV; that'd free up your use of the HR10-250's analog audio outputs for the Slingbox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #34
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
None that come to mind. The whole process was pretty simple. Just get it registered before 4/26 so you get a free license for their mobile player.

I'm surprised you have no digital audio connection on your HDTV; that'd free up your use of the HR10-250's analog audio outputs for the Slingbox.
I use the digital audio to my AVR but I only use the AVR for those programs that support Dolby 5.1. I use the RCA analog audio for all other viewing.

Is there a downside to routing the audio through the Slingbox?

I am getting my box on the 26th; I will register it that day, although I cannot see myself using a PDA like my Compaq unit to watch TV.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #35
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I use the digital audio to my AVR but I only use the AVR for those programs that support Dolby 5.1. I use the RCA analog audio for all other viewing.

Is there a downside to routing the audio through the Slingbox?

I am getting my box on the 26th; I will register it that day, although I cannot see myself using a PDA like my Compaq unit to watch TV.
I don't really know of a downside to routing audio through the unit, except the usual "any additional processing of an analog signal can only degrade it further" -- not that audio would probably matter much.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #36
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
I don't really know of a downside to routing audio through the unit, except the usual "any additional processing of an analog signal can only degrade it further" -- not that audio would probably matter much.
Hi Doug,

I got my Slingbox and successfully installed for my Cox Tivo and my DirecTV HDTivo and was able to watch everything on my PC laptop within my network. However, I could not set up remote access.

I contacted tech support at SlingMedia and he was not helpful. After trying lots of stuff, he told me the Slingbox works well and it must be a problem with my Airport network. After I hung up, I got an idea to power off one of my two airports, the repeater one and lo and behold, I was able to set remote access successfully. I will test my remote access tomorrow at work but I would like to restore my network to its original configuration and still run the Slingbox externally.

I don't know if you can help me but do you know anyone that can help me use the Slingbox with a repeater airport in the network?

BTW, I am really impressed with the use of the Tivo remote for my two Tivo boxes. It is almost like magic, to control the Tivos from a peanut on the laptop.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:35 AM   #37
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm really not familiar with Airport equipment, but the basic requirement is for the configured port to be accessible from the internet at some IP address; if you can confirm that your equipment is set up to permit incoming connections to that port all should be OK. Perhaps the repeater device somehow puts another layer of NAT that isn't passing the needed port correctly.

Now I've not used the Finder method of accessing my system; I have static IP's and I've just mapped ports on one of my IPs to the Slingbox's private IP addresses.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #38
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

I powered down the repeater airport, was able to set-up remote access with no problems.

I tried it in the lobby of the hotel and it did not work but when I called Slingmedia and gave them my Finder ID and password, they were able to access my Slingbox at a 500K rate with no problems.

I then powered back up my repeater Airport and things are still working. I guess once things are setup with a simple network, the Slingbox works within a sohisticated Airport network.

Now I have to try it again in a hotel lobby.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #39
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

I just used my Slingbox for the first time in a DoubleTree hotel in Tucson. The bit rate was very low (40-200 kbps) and erratic with lots of video and audio dropouts. I had to call tech support for the hotel internet provider. They proceeded to block out some ports and things did improve so I could get bit rates in the high 300 and up to 400 kbps. The rate really improved after 11:00 PM.

Two questions: 1. Will I have to do this every time I am in a hotel on the road? 2. How can I tell where the bottleneck is, my ISP at home or the Hotel's ISP?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #40
gworkman

I'd start off with a speedtest at the hotel

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

BTW...Welcome to Tucson!
gworkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #41
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gworkman
I'd start off with a speedtest at the hotel

www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

BTW...Welcome to Tucson!
I did a speedtest and found that the upload and download speeds in the hotel were in the 250-275 Kbps range. At home, I just tested my connection and got 4375 kbps download and 407 kbps upload.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #42
tnedator

Quote:
Two questions: 1. Will I have to do this every time I am in a hotel on the road? 2. How can I tell where the bottleneck is, my ISP at home or the Hotel's ISP?
As to the hotels, it will vary. I have been in some hotels where I consistantly get around 400-450k, my upload speed at home is 512k, but I never see more than around 450k when I connect to my slingbox.

Other hotels I have bounced between 100-200k. I figure it is probably a combination of what type of internet connection they have and what kind of usage.

A few weeks ago I was in Amsterdam and watched an episode of 24 while I was killing some time. I love my slingbox.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:56 AM   #43
rawbi01
Go Bucks!

I'm at the airport in LA watching mt DirecTivo in Cleveland. Here is how it looks!!

I can't figure out how to include the pic.
1 HR10-250 DTivo
2 DIRECTV HD DVR's
1 Slingbox
rawbi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 PM   #44
Morris Herman
Mac user since 84!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbi01
I'm at the airport in LA watching mt DirecTivo in Cleveland. Here is how it looks!!

I can't figure out how to include the pic.
What are you using? a laptop or a PDA? what broadband service are you using?

I spend a lot of time at the United Red Carpet Club in LA waiting for flights and would like a diversion.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:23 PM   #45
MisterEd
Very Large Member

Does Slingbox require an installable client to watch TV? I can't INSTALL anything here at work but I'd surely love to be able to watch TV at the end of my 3PM->Midnight shift when it's dead here.
MisterEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:11 AM   #46
tnedator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterEd
Does Slingbox require an installable client to watch TV? I can't INSTALL anything here at work but I'd surely love to be able to watch TV at the end of my 3PM->Midnight shift when it's dead here.
Yes, you have to install the slinbox player.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #47
SeattleCarl

You should be able to copy the entire slingplayer folder from a PC that it is installed on onto a USB memory card, then insert that into another pc and run the software without having to do an actual installation. I think it takes somewhere right around 65 MB.

That might let you get around the inability to install the software, however you may still run into issues with port blocking and other firewall issues from a work location. Lots of discussion on the slingcommunity web site regarding this and possible workarounds.

Carl
SeattleCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:56 PM   #48
tnedator

Quote:
You should be able to copy the entire slingplayer folder from a PC that it is installed on onto a USB memory card, then insert that into another pc and run the software without having to do an actual installation. I think it takes somewhere right around 65 MB.

That might let you get around the inability to install the software, however you may still run into issues with port blocking and other firewall issues from a work location. Lots of discussion on the slingcommunity web site regarding this and possible workarounds.

Carl
I tried this and it didn't work. I got an error when attempting to run slingplayer.exe. I doubted this was going to work, since the vast majority of Windows apps these days need to be installed (registry settings and such), but I thought it could be handy if this actually worked. Unfortunately, it didn't.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:12 AM   #49
SeattleCarl

Hmm. Many people (on sling community forums) have reported that it has worked for them. Is your work PC running Windows XP, or is it possibly running 2000 or something else?

Unfortunately, I've already got slingplayer installed on all my PC's, so it wouldn't be a valid test even if I could run a flash drive copy of it.

Carl
Old 05-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #50
MisterEd
Very Large Member

I don't own a Slingbox (yet). However I downloaded and installed the latest software to "Computer A" and then copied the folder to "Computer B". I then ran Slingbox.exe and it SEEMS TO have started fine (no errors of any sort). Both computers are XP-Rro.

Is there a demo slingbox that can be checked out anywhere? If so can you please PM me the info to access it. I want to try it from home and from work before making a purchase.

Edit: Is Windows Media Player 10 a necessity? Version 9 is installed at work and I am unable to upgrade it due to computer restrictions.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2006, 11:24 AM   #51
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
.....Edit: Is Windows Media Player 10 a necessity? Version 9 is installed at work and I am unable to upgrade it due to computer restrictions.

Thanks
Tell em at work that you need version 10 so that you can watch TV at your desk, I'm sure they will set you right up.
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #52
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Why wouldn't people just use Orb?

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #53
MisterEd
Very Large Member

From what I was reading I seems I can't stream my TIVO using Orb only from a TV card in my PC which would only give me 5 local channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
Why wouldn't people just use Orb?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:15 AM   #54
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
From what I was reading I seems I can't stream my TIVO using Orb only from a TV card in my PC which would only give me 5 local channels.
With a SA Tivo and the 7.x software, apparently you can stream your Tivo. You can browse the NP list, and then play what you want.

I watched it work.

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:18 AM   #55
MisterEd
Very Large Member

Isn't this the " DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo " Forum ?? I don't have a SA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab
With a SA Tivo and the 7.x software, apparently you can stream your Tivo. You can browse the NP list, and then play what you want.

I watched it work.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:20 PM   #56
tnedator

Quote:
Hmm. Many people (on sling community forums) have reported that it has worked for them. Is your work PC running Windows XP, or is it possibly running 2000 or something else?

Unfortunately, I've already got slingplayer installed on all my PC's, so it wouldn't be a valid test even if I could run a flash drive copy of it.

Carl
XP Pro on three machines. I have it installed on two of them, and attempted to run the slingplayer exe from the third machine with no luck. Doesn't really matter for me, since I don't have a problem installing it where I need it, but I figured I would give it a try 'out of curiousity'.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:24 AM   #57
MisterEd
Very Large Member

Did you copy the ENTIRE FOLDER (65MB's)including the empty top folder and all the sub-folder and put it in the PROGRAM FILES folder? It's worked on 3 computers without problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator
XP Pro on three machines. I have it installed on two of them, and attempted to run the slingplayer exe from the third machine with no luck. Doesn't really matter for me, since I don't have a problem installing it where I need it, but I figured I would give it a try 'out of curiousity'.

Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #58
SeattleCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator
To test this out, I copied my entire sling folder to a flash drive, took it next door to my neighbors house and plugged it into his pc and ran slingplayer with no problems. Worked just fine. I have no idea why you are having a problem doing that.

Carl
Old 06-01-2006, 08:05 AM   #59
Markman07

If you are interested you can now record your slingbox content for later viewing. I am sure some folks might have a need for this. http://applian.com/replay-slingcorder/

Inventory to Follow....

1 HR10-250 (Zippered - Thanks Gunny)
2 Directivo Series 2 (Zippered - Hey Gunny...Thanks)
1 HR20 - Like it but locks up too much)
Score Tivo 3 - Other HD DVR 1
Markman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:13 PM   #60
ayrton911
F1 TiVo

I'll buy a slingbox, when they support OS X.
-PHILIPS TiVo -14 Hour - HDR112 - Born: September 2000
ayrton911 is offline   Reply With Quote