TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 AM   #661
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb
Well, the other day I called TiVO Support to provide them additional information related to the MA phone numbers I was having. I was transferred to a supervisor to provide my information. Not that I take any faith in what the person said, but when I asked about "that release date for the S3", he said Summer. now, granted, that could be a 3 month window, but is certainly earlier than "end of the year".

Now, depending on price, I might still have to wait and see what happens, if anything, with the ComcasTiVo.

Well I think the party line is “second half of the year” so hopefully summer is correct as oposed to 'end of the year' educated speculation. If they can pull it off before fall tv season starts I’d be quite happy.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:43 PM   #662
StStephen

Big Grin DT Box Delivered!

Just got a call from my wife, our new DT box was just delivered! Ordered last Friday, shipped ground, all-in-all and outstanding shopping experience with TiVo. Now hopefully the thing will work!

Steve
StStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:08 PM   #663
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StStephen
Now hopefully the thing will work!

Steve
Of course it will....its a TiVo!
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #664
Rose4uKY

I love the new DT enjoy!! Rose

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #665
TivoZorro

I got my DT today. And I can't get beyond the screen where it asks if I can see video in the background. All I see is black and if I skip that step it says that it will only record on one channel. i've tried it on two different tvs with the same results. Does anybody have any ideas?
Laptop Running Tivo Desktop 2.3 Plus
1 30 GB iPod with Video
Sony SVR 2000 Tivo
TivoZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #666
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoZorro
I got my DT today. And I can't get beyond the screen where it asks if I can see video in the background. All I see is black and if I skip that step it says that it will only record on one channel. i've tried it on two different tvs with the same results. Does anybody have any ideas?
Do you have sound?

Also, double check that you don't have the cable to your TV connecte to TiVo's VIDEO IN by accident.

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #667
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Does anybody have any ideas?
My idea is for you to describe your setup so we have somewhere to start.
ChuckyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #668
c3
TiVoholic

Quote:
I have seen that behavior with my 540. If I answer "yes, I see the video" anyway, TiVo still works fine after the guided setup. That's definitely a bug with the 7.x software.
c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #669
TivoZorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I have seen that behavior with my 540. If I answer "yes, I see the video" anyway, TiVo still works fine after the guided setup. That's definitely a bug with the 7.x software.
Thanks I willl try hooking it up again. My setup is basic cable, no cable box. RF cable in from the wall to the Tivo. Red, white and yellow cables out from the Tivo to the tv.
1 30 GB iPod with Video
Sony SVR 2000 Tivo
Old 05-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #670
ChuckyBox

Quote:
Thanks I willl try hooking it up again. My setup is basic cable, no cable box. RF cable in from the wall to the Tivo. Red, white and yellow cables out from the Tivo to the tv.
Thanks. Try cf3's solution and let us know. If you go to "Live TV" do you get a picture or sound? What happens when you change the channel? Push "Live TV" again (will switch tuners) and try again.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #671
TivoZorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckyBox
Thanks. Try cf3's solution and let us know. If you go to "Live TV" do you get a picture or sound? What happens when you change the channel? Push "Live TV" again (will switch tuners) and try again.
Yes, it was exactly as cf3 said. I answered yes to seeing the video even though it wasn't true. And when it finished with Guided Setup I had video. At first when I hit LiveTV it showed the same channel as on the first tuner. But then I punched in another channel and at the bottom it said something about Tivo searching for basic cable and then it tuned it in. And I'm happy to report it is recording both the NBC and CBS Nightly News. Had to run a test to see if it works! I can't wait to get all of my Season Passes in it. And network is up and working fine. Tivo Desktop recognizes it. Back to setting up Season Passes!
1 30 GB iPod with Video
Sony SVR 2000 Tivo
Old 05-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #672
ChuckyBox

Quote:
And I'm happy to report it is recording both the NBC and CBS Nightly News. Had to run a test to see if it works! I can't wait to get all of my Season Passes in it. And network is up and working fine. Tivo Desktop recognizes it. Back to setting up Season Passes!
Cool. Some people are reporting a non-specified increase in speed. Let us know if you notice anything.

Enjoy.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #673
c3
TiVoholic

I'm glad that it works. However, many consumers would probably return the unit as defective. TiVo, you'd better do something about this.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM   #674
tivocat99
It's the beach!

As an update to how billing plays out: As I said upthread, they correctly added my DT order to my existing account before I even received the unit. Well, billing for my existing unit hit today, and it was at the correct multi-unit discount rate.

All in all a painless transaction getting the DT TiVo. Still don't have it hooked up but hope to have time to do so tomorrow night. Looking forward to being able to download my provider/channel info wirelessly! Setup on my first two S2's was a PITA since I have no landline phone... had to do it at work on the sly.
tivocat99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:32 PM   #675
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I'm glad that it works. However, many consumers would probably return the unit as defective. TiVo, you'd better do something about this.
When I reran GS last week when I switched from satellite to cable I had the same situation. No video. I got frustrated and said yes anyways, and then it was working.

I think you might be right about there being a bug there...
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:39 PM   #676
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
When I reran GS last week when I switched from satellite to cable I had the same situation. No video. I got frustrated and said yes anyways, and then it was working.

I think you might be right about there being a bug there...
Hope you folks that are seeing this are calling Tivo and reporting it.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #677
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
Hope you folks that are seeing this are calling Tivo and reporting it.
Sorry, not my job.

Edit: OK, that came across badly. I reported it here, isn't that enough? Can't imagine dealing with CS over an issue that I'm already past myself.

Last edited by greg_burns : 05-04-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #678
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
Sorry, not my job.

Edit: OK, that came across badly. I reported it here, isn't that enough? Can't imagine dealing with CS over an issuing that I already past myself.
This isn't an official forum, even though there are a number of Tivo employees here.

If you are a Tivo fan and have personal experience with what is clearly a bug, why not take a few minutes to report the problem?

Especially one that could potentially result in a bad OOB experience for new Tivo users.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 PM   #679
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3
This isn't an official forum, even though there are a number of Tivo employees here.

If you are a Tivo fan and have personal experience with what is clearly a bug, why not take a few minutes to report the problem?

Especially one that could potentially result in a bad OOB experience for new Tivo users.
Personally, I think posting here would have more impact and visibilty than reporting it to CS.

Take a look at the reboot issue. TivoJerry was all over that just from reportings in this forum AFAIK.

At the time I just assumed I was doing something wrong. And for all I know, maybe I was. I personally think this forum (or maybe even the official one) is a better suited for determining if this is really an issue or not. (IMO)
Old 05-04-2006, 10:07 PM   #680
c3
TiVoholic

I think that blank screen problem would need a separate thread to bring it to TiVo's attention. I agree with Greg that this forum should have more impact than calling a CSR.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:12 PM   #681
rainwater

Isn't the issue that it picks the first channel in your lineup to show you? When I ran it today on my new DT, it showed a channel that I don't receive even though its in my lineup. Since you haven't had a chance to edit your lineup, there's nothing you can do there. I also think the question is stupid since it just showed you a random channel to confirm.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:19 PM   #682
tazzftw

Doesn't that include an option to try a different channel?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #683
Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3
I think that blank screen problem would need a separate thread to bring it to TiVo's attention. I agree with Greg that this forum should have more impact than calling a CSR.
Ditto, this problem should be in a separate threand *and* in the TiVo Help forum, not in the TiVo Coffee House.

BTW, I don't like the taste of coffee. Can I get a Dr. Pepper here, instead?

Thanks!
Steven
Gospel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 AM   #684
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzftw
Doesn't that include an option to try a different channel?
The first time it shows a channel you are given that option. But there is another question about seeing the video and I don't believe it offers an option to try a different channel. Again, I'm not sure of the point of the 2 different questions.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:45 PM   #685
memn0ch

DT and Stupid A/B Comcast Cable in Dallas

I've just placed my order for the DT Tivo because the Comcast Moto DVR sucks and I miss tivo thinking for me. My concern is that my archaic cable system which still uses A/B outlets going into a single digital cable box is going to cause some problems with the dual tuner.

Also I'm really curious how the logic will work. If I have a season pass for an analog available show, will it always try to use the analog tuner thus allowing me to switch the digital capable one to a digital channel?
memn0ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #686
StStephen

I brought my new DT to work so I could stroke it while I waited for UPS to deliver my Weaknees 180 hour upgrade drive. My new drive arrived as promised and installed without a hitch, tonight I plug this puppy in!

Steve
StStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:27 PM   #687
tazzftw

I indeed ordered it today. $250 - $150 rebate - $25 Gift Card - $10 Earned in Rewards = $65 ending cost.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:18 PM   #688
Gospel

Exclamation Any S2DT reboot problems?

I see from the help center, many folks are having problems with the 7.2.2 upgrade on the S2 singer tuner boxes. Well, I am having the same random reboot problem with 7.2.5 on my new S2DT. This is happening with the stock 80 hour drive and the 290 hour weaknwess replacement drive. I've added my comments to the reboo thread and PM'ed TiVoJerry. It may go 10 hours or just one hour between reboots. I am trying to find another S2DT owner having the same problem.

Thanks,
Steven
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 PM   #689
weaknees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gospel
I see from the help center, many folks are having problems with the 7.2.2 upgrade on the S2 singer tuner boxes. Well, I am having the same random reboot problem with 7.2.5 on my new S2DT. This is happening with the stock 80 hour drive and the 290 hour weaknwess replacement drive. I've added my comments to the reboo thread and PM'ed TiVoJerry. It may go 10 hours or just one hour between reboots. I am trying to find another S2DT owner having the same problem.

Thanks,
Steven
Do you have the unit on a UPS? These are pretty sensitive to power fluctuations. We have more info here:

http://www.wkblog.com/ups

The number one cause of spontaneous reboots is a bad drive, but considering you have two drives behaving similarly, that seems pretty unlikley. Power problems are the next most likely culprit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
weaknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 PM   #690
Gospel

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaknees
Do you have the unit on a UPS? These are pretty sensitive to power fluctuations. We have more info here:

http://www.wkblog.com/ups

The number one cause of spontaneous reboots is a bad drive, but considering you have two drives behaving similarly, that seems pretty unlikley. Power problems are the next most likely culprit.
Oh yes, I have a UPS. I have two APC model that can keep a PC going for 10 minutes. IMO, a UPS is a must have. BTW, I did do a mfscheck (GSOD) code. Thought things were going good for a few hours because it recorded 4 shows until another reset at the start of recording a fith show.

I don't think the problem is with the replacement drive since it is also happening to the stock drive as well. I'm just tired of swapping drives now trying to figure this out. I also didn't touch any ohter components and was carefull about static discharge.

I've also tried "Clear & Delete everything" and started fresh.

Thanks,
Steven