TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #1
Dennis Wilkinson

TiVo Desktop for Mac 1.9.3 is out and universal...

I don't have an Intel Mac myself, but I know folks have been waiting for this, and I know not everyone skims MacUpdate or VersionTracker religiously...

Head on over to http://www.tivo.com/desktop/ for the download.

Looks like there's are a few other changes besides being universal, but I won't have time to play with it until this evening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dennis Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
EwanG

Of course it still doesn't support the Tivo To Go functionality

Oh well...
EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwanG
Of course it still doesn't support the Tivo To Go functionality
We just got to the beginning of "mid-2006". When a company promises software in a range like that, it's unusual that they mean the beginning of the range...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
TydalForce

well, we're getting there... its a step forward, and one that at least shows they're not ignoring us
TydalForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
cwoody222

*yawn*

wake me up when TiVo does something SUBSTANTIAL for the Mac community.

even better if it's not months and months overdue.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wilkinson
Looks like there's are a few other changes besides being universal
Oh, really...?! Did you get a chance to poke around and how close do you think we are to TTG?
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
Oh, really...?! Did you get a chance to poke around and how close do you think we are to TTG?
For starters, there's a "FileVideo.plugin" that wasn't there before. The UI doesn't look any different at first glance. Haven't had any real time to poke at it yet, that was just my "did the same things get installed as last time" look.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
TydalForce

FileVideo.plugin ?

Interesting, given that its only for Photos and Music... hmmmmmsies....
Old 05-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Any chance this new plug-in enables the ComeBack portion of TiVoToGo? TiVo uses a similarly named plug-in on the PC side to support that functionality.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
AugieMac

So if I gather this correct there is no way currently for my Intel MacBook Pro to get movies off my Tivo box?
AugieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieMac
So if I gather this correct there is no way currently for my Intel MacBook Pro to get movies off my Tivo box?
As it stands, it may be splitting hairs but you can *transfer* shows to your Mac, but you'll have no way to decrypt them for playback. You'll need a PC... for now. Unless there's some secret functionality that Dennis uncovers.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
mikellanes

Does tivo tool not work in rosetta?
mikellanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
Weaselboy

I'm seeing this as a good sign only because the presence of a universal binary must mean they are using xcode now as a development tool.
Weaselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 PM   #14
Dennis Wilkinson

OK, I've done a bit more digging. Just for giggles, I'll walk through it.

Starting the TiVo Desktop server also placed a "TiVoShows" folder in my home directory. Just placing a file in that directory didn't do anything, even after starting and stopping the server.

So, I look at the "Raw" preferences, i.e., in Terminal:

Code:
defaults read com.tivo.desktop
and see the following in the output:

Code:
    FileVideo = {
        Enabled = 0; 
        ShareAll = 1; 
        SharedItems = ("/Users/dennis/TiVoShows"); 
        SharingName = "Elroy (Dennis J Wilkinson II)"; 
        VideoUIEnabled = 0; 
        vKey = ""; 
    };
Hmm. Let's try enabling it:

Code:
defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add Enabled -bool true
and restart the server. Hey hey... my Mac is in my Now Playing list -- with the MPEG file I added listed. But what's this "VideoUIEnabled" switch?

Code:
defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add VideoUIEnabled -bool true
Re-open the TiVo Desktop pref pane and, yup... there's a Video tab now, that'll let you enable/disable video sharing, set the location, enter your MAK, and set a video share name.

In other words, as Dan surmised above, they implemented TiVoToComeback!

If you want to play with this yourself, just:

1) Stop the TiVo Desktop server in the pref pane. Close the pref pane.

2) Launch the Terminal utility (in /Applications/Utiliities) and, at the prompt, enter the following command (copy and paste is your friend) and press return:
Code:
defaults write com.tivo.desktop FileVideo -dict-add VideoUIEnabled -bool true
If you have Apple's developer tools installed, you can open the com.tivo.desktop.plist file in your preferences folder with the Property List Editor and change the setting that way, too.

3) Reopen the pref pane, turn on video sharing, and set things up as you like. I don't know if you need to enter your MAK -- I didn't, and a plain-jane MPEG transferred OK, but I haven't tried a .tivo file.)

4) Start the server again.

Disclaimer time: Use at your own risk. If it's there, but turned off, there may very well be a reason for it (as in, it might not be ready for prime time, may have ghastly bugs, et cetera.) I've transferred exactly one MPEG file of the right flavor so far, and it worked. But if this thing goes off and trashes your hard drive, devours your children, whatever: don't blame me or TiVo. It was hidden, after all.

OK, now I'm going to go watch Lost, and use this thing for what I bought it for...

Edit: To make things easier for those who don't like (or even know about) the Terminal application, I whipped together an AppleScript applet that toggles the VideoUIEnabled setting (and disables the "Enabled" setting when turning off the UI.) Consider the applet to be in the public domain, and completely devoid of any warranty. While I'd expect it to work for most configurations, it may not. It does no version checking whatsoever, but the worst that should mean right now would be preferences that do nothing in older versions of TiVo Desktop. Use at your own risk.

To use the applet, just download the attachment, unzip it, and double-click. It's a toggle, so one run enables, the next run disables.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Toggle TiVo Video Sharing.zip (25.6 KB, 1337 views)

Last edited by Dennis Wilkinson : 05-05-2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
davezatz
Funkadelic

Wow, that's incredible, awesome news! Thanks for figuring it out and documenting it.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #16
TydalForce

That's awesome and THANK YOU for the spiffy walkthrough!

Any tips on quick-and-easy ways of converting video files to work with the TiVo? I have QuickTime Pro and VLC, and can probably get my hands on anything else that might be useful... (c:
Old 05-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #17
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TydalForce
That's awesome and THANK YOU for the spiffy walkthrough!

Any tips on quick-and-easy ways of converting video files to work with the TiVo? I have QuickTime Pro and VLC, and can probably get my hands on anything else that might be useful... (c:
I've been using ffmpegX for a while now -- but where I would have to place the resulting MPEG-2 files into a shared folder where Virtual PC running TiVo Desktop could reach them

Use MPEG-2 for the video and MP2 for the audio.

I set the bit rate to 1000 and the resolution to 640 x 480 (with 4:3 aspect ratio)

Make sure you change the file name extension on the resulting file so that it's .mpg since ffmpegX will put something like ".ff" at the end instead.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:53 AM   #18
junebughunter

I've got about as far as Dennis, pretty cool so far, definitely looks to be promising...and no issues yet...
junebughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #19
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

awesome news for the unhacked standalone peeps!
Thanks for poking around Dennis!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #20
TydalForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedelman
I've been using ffmpegX for a while now -- but where I would have to place the resulting MPEG-2 files into a shared folder where Virtual PC running TiVo Desktop could reach them

Use MPEG-2 for the video and MP2 for the audio.

I set the bit rate to 1000 and the resolution to 640 x 480 (with 4:3 aspect ratio)

Make sure you change the file name extension on the resulting file so that it's .mpg since ffmpegX will put something like ".ff" at the end instead.
I was playing with it last night. I don't think I had my settings quite like that, so I'll try it again tonight when I'm home.

Oddly, it would start the conversion, get to 100%, and then keep going... I usually cancelled it about 108%. Ever have that happen to you? Does it eventually stop?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #21
funkdaddy

Nice work, this should replace my use for Galleon.

Hey, does this version still let you stream AAC files if you have LAME installed?
funkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #22
cwoody222

I have a preset setting file that you can "load" into ffmpegX that will handle MPEG-2 conversion that Tivo accepts.

PM me if anyone wants it. (I get decent response so demand is out there)

Yes, sometimes my ffmpegX conversions go past 100%. They do stop eventually. I can't explain it.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:55 AM   #23
mimyc
Newly Addicted

Ugh. Why did it have to be ffmpegx? I've never had good results with that app. My latest attempt got me no video. iSquint4Tivo anyone? Anyone?
mimyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #24
funkdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimyc
Ugh. Why did it have to be ffmpegx? I've never had good results with that app. My latest attempt got me no video. iSquint4Tivo anyone? Anyone?
you can use VLC if you don't like ffMpegX... I've had to use VLC for some things and ffMpegX for other to get them to encode right. I wrote a drag n drop applescript to convert with VLC. It's not perfect, but I can post it if you like.
funkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:27 PM   #25
mimyc
Newly Addicted

That'd be great. I'm using the beta of VLC for Intel right now so I don't know how productive I'll be. So far it is great at doing an impression of iTunes Visualizer...... unfortunately it does it when it is supposed to be playing Doctor Who episode.....
mimyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:28 PM   #26
submariner
Goin' Deep!

I was wondering if I could get some help...

I tried the terminal strings exactly as shown, and when I read the com.tivo.desktop file immideately afterwards, the file reads:

Quote:
{
FileVideo = {
Enabled = 1;
ShareAll = 1;
SharedItems = ("/Users/aaron/TiVoShows");
SharingName = "Bohemoth (Aaron)";
VideoUIEnabled = 1;
vKey = "";
};
VideoLibraryName = Library;
iPhoto = {Enabled = 1; ShareAll = 1; SharingName = "Aaron's Photos on Bohemoth"; };
iTunes = {Enabled = 1; ShareAll = 1; SharingName = "Aaron's Music on Bohemoth"; };
}
Yet, after restarting the TiVo Desktop software, the Video tab isn't there and my computer does not show in the now playing list. re-reading the file shows that the values have reset to "0" as shown here:

Quote:
{
FileVideo = {
Enabled = 0;
ShareAll = 1;
SharedItems = ("/Users/aaron/TiVoShows");
SharingName = "Bohemoth (Aaron)";
VideoUIEnabled = 0;
vKey = "";
};
VideoLibraryName = Library;
iPhoto = {Enabled = 1; ShareAll = 1; SharingName = "Aaron's Photos on Bohemoth"; };
iTunes = {Enabled = 1; ShareAll = 1; SharingName = "Aaron's Music on Bohemoth"; };
}
Any idea on what's going on?
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:51 PM   #27
Dennis Wilkinson

Not sure, but I'd be absolutely sure that you've stopped the server and closed System Preferences before entering the commands in Terminal. Could be that one or the other is holding a stale version of the preferences around and writing them back to disk at some other time.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:10 PM   #28
planetboom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wilkinson
Not sure, but I'd be absolutely sure that you've stopped the server and closed System Preferences before entering the commands in Terminal. Could be that one or the other is holding a stale version of the preferences around and writing them back to disk at some other time.

I've entered the code and now see the video tab. In my now playing list, I now see my computer. However, I have 3 videos in my home/TiVOShows folder: 1.mpg, 1.vob, and 1 .m2v... but for some reason, nothing is showing up in my Now Playing/Mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks
planetboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #29
Dennis Wilkinson

Make sure the mpeg video is in one of the formats described here:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know.../tv251080.htm?

I don't know when the server looks in the folder to see if there are files to be served up. Once you've got files in the folder that should work, try restarting the server from System Preferences. If that works, it should be possible to write a folder action AppleScript that does that for you.

Old 05-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #30
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetboom
I've entered the code and now see the video tab. In my now playing list, I now see my computer. However, I have 3 videos in my home/TiVOShows folder: 1.mpg, 1.vob, and 1 .m2v... but for some reason, nothing is showing up in my Now Playing/Mac.

Any ideas?

Thanks
I haven't done any mac experimenting yet, but on the PC it only shows video files it "recognizes." .vob and .m2v are definitely out of the question, and only MPEG2s of certain specifications are supported.