TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2006, 07:03 AM   #1141
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

there is considerable debate about this, but some people (me included) think that a full hard drive is one of the things that cause the HD-Tivo to reboot and generally misbehave...so filling-up your hard drive with a ton of shows just to know how much space you have might be a price you're not willing to pay...

just keep that in mind...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #1142
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
there is considerable debate about this, but some people (me included) think that a full hard drive is one of the things that cause the HD-Tivo to reboot and generally misbehave...so filling-up your hard drive with a ton of shows just to know how much space you have might be a price you're not willing to pay...

ok, now i'm REALLY confused.

this is the way i've been thinking all along, i don't let the drive get at, or near, capacity.

Yamaha HTR-5590 Reciever, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts and Mini Monitor rears, Polk Audio front/rear centers, 2 10" Velodyne subs.
joetoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #1143
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto
ok, now i'm REALLY confused.

this is the way i've been thinking all along, i don't let the drive get at, or near, capacity.
sorry to be the source of confusion...you asked if there's a way to know how much drive space is left...the poster that answered you gave you the correct answer (to turn on suggestion and see how much stuff piles up on the drive)...

I just wanted to point out that this "trick" MAY come at a cost since it seems that a full drive has a higher tendency to have problems (another reason is keeping very old recordings)...

I want to make sure that you understand that this is an opinion, not a fact and that some people might disagree with that opinion...

I'm just trying to make sure you have all the information...Once your unit starts rebooting and losing recordings and generally acting up, you tend to be very sensitive to anything that might upset it...if all you want is to know how much drive space you have, it is my opinion that the risk you are taking does not outweigh the benefit...
Old 03-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #1144
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
sorry to be the source of confusion...you asked if there's a way to know how much drive space is left...the poster that answered you gave you the correct answer (to turn on suggestion and see how much stuff piles up on the drive)...

I just wanted to point out that this "trick" MAY come at a cost since it seems that a full drive has a higher tendency to have problems (another reason is keeping very old recordings)...

I want to make sure that you understand that this is an opinion, not a fact and that some people might disagree with that opinion...

I'm just trying to make sure you have all the information...Once your unit starts rebooting and losing recordings and generally acting up, you tend to be very sensitive to anything that might upset it...if all you want is to know how much drive space you have, it is my opinion that the risk you are taking does not outweigh the benefit...
i should have been clear, i understood both concepts, one filling the drive with suggestions to determine available space and the other basically staying away from loading up the drive.

the confusion comes from deciding which way to go.

i think i'll play it safe and stick to what's been working so far, no more than approximately 24 hours of HD content.

thanks just the same, Anubys.

Yamaha HTR-5590 Reciever, Paradigm Monitor 7 fronts and Mini Monitor rears, Polk Audio front/rear centers, 2 10" Velodyne subs.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:30 PM   #1145
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Anubys,

I share your concerns for full hard drive issues. So far, I have been lucky in that area with both of my HD TiVo's. I bought one the second month after they were released and the second one last October.

It's too bad that we won't see a new generation of the DirecTV HD DVR with TiVo because I think they could have solved most of the issues that are well known today.

I guess the series 3 SA HD TiVo will benefit from the HR10-250 experience, and/or the Comcast boxes running TiVo software.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:50 PM   #1146
s50e30

2 questions about HR10-250 & use thereof

let me know if we should move my post to another thread, but this seems
like the best general info spot for HDTiVo questions. anyway, here are
my question(s) :

1) what's the story on getting a used HR10-250 activated by D* ?

with the current lease situation, I'd rather own the hardware instead of being
tied to them owning it. I've heard from some people that you can run into
trouble getting a new receiver activated by D* and from others that it's largely
a function of the person you get on the phone and or your rap with them and
you can get them activated w/o too much trouble.

so is there a (within reason) sure-fire way to get a used receiver activated ?

2) will the HR10-250 integrate the OTA signal into it's guide and whatnot
even if you're not getting the HD package from D* ?

I'm not really all that interested in the HD content that D* offers currently
as the channel line-up is relatively limited & most of the stuff I'd like to
see in HD should be available OTA to me. so I'm thinking that if it will work,
I'll just let the D* HD package drop off after whatever introductory period
I get from them (tho I guess this might not be an issue if I don't get the
HR10-250 thru D* as they'll have no reason to sweeten the lease price with
all sorts of extras) is over and run with SD content from D* and OTA HD stuff.

so, will the HR10-250 & the OS of the receiver let me work it that way ?

down the road I'll either dump D* and go with (shudder) Comcast when/if
they have a robust TiVo implementation, but for now with the single HD
set I plan to have & the likely programming that I'm interested in watching
in HD being available OTA*, worrying about the MPEG4 HD stream & hardware
to work with it isn't really a priority for me.

Ben

*relative to OTA programming for me area (SE Michigan) I think I should
be in good shape as I'm pretty close to all the broadcast locations, but
I'll have to check that with the various OTA-signal strength-specific pages
and whatnot. if I'm in some sort of dead zone most of the above will be
academic as I want to be able to get my locals OTA....
s50e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 AM   #1147
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by s50e30

1) what's the story on getting a used HR10-250 activated by D* ?

with the current lease situation, I'd rather own the hardware instead of being
tied to them owning it.
so is there a (within reason) sure-fire way to get a used receiver activated ?

2) will the HR10-250 integrate the OTA signal into it's guide and whatnot
even if you're not getting the HD package from D* ?
welcome to the forum!

question 1: I'm not aware of any issue...you call D* and ask for a new access card. They send it to you, and you use it to activate your unit. For ANY dealings with D*, if a CSR won't help, just hang up and call again...but this is a straight forward deal, no CSR will deny you a new card...

question 2: Yes. As long as your antenna picks up the channel, the HD-Tivo will integrate it into the guide...if ABC is channel 7, for example, the guide will show channel 7 (which would be SD OTA) and channel 7-1 (which would be HD OTA)...your local ABC channel might have even more subchannels for weather, local traffic, etc. Those will show as 7-2 and 7-3...so you have no worries there.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #1148
s50e30

cool, I suspected that I was getting alarmist info on not being able
to get an access card for a used receiver. I'll have to start watching
eBay to see what the going rate is for them. might have to check
with other forums which have been mentioned here as having
classifieds as well, tho I've had pretty good luck with eBay in
general.

I guess the only question now is what sort of retain-me-as-a-
subscriber leverage I'll have with D* to be able to get freebies
if I'm not buying the HD box from them.

then again I'm not all that interested in the HD content they
have anyway - my rationale against getting all worked up about
HD has always been that I don't actively _watch_ many shows on
TV, rather have them running in the background while I do stuff
online or read a magazine or whatever. if I actually start just staring
at the majesty of the HD content I'm going to seriously cut into the
time I waste doing all that other stuff :-) I'm mostly interested in
getting things set up so I can watch the NBA playoffs in HD this year.

If I have an existing 3-LNB oval dish will I need to do anything
special to get the current MPEG2 HD D* content into the house ?
I happen to only have 3 of the 4 lines off the dish active due to
how the wires were stuffed when the initial install was done, but
I can get around that I run another wire if needed.

I wonder what the HR10-250 will do if one doesn't have the
box active with D* at all ? would be neat if it would work as
a basically stand-alone HD DVR, but that seems unlikely as it
wouldn't have a D* guide to integrate the OTA content with.

now I just have to go lurk on avsforums and figure out if my
initial thought that the Sony KDF-E42A10 will work for my
needs is correct....

Ben
s50e30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:10 PM   #1149
jtb

Please forgive the somewhat newbie question,to receive sd signal i will need to leave the s-video cable hooked up along with the component cable for HD?
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #1150
Iceblade
Hockey is my Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb
Please forgive the somewhat newbie question,to receive sd signal i will need to leave the s-video cable hooked up along with the component cable for HD?

Well, you CAN do that.. and then switch TV inputs based on whether you are watching SD or HD. I used to do that, but then I got tired of that route so I just set the HR10-250 to output either 480p or 1080i and watch only over the HDMI/DVI input on the tv. I just use the up arrow method to toggle between resolutions when viewing SD or HD. I mean, D* compression on most SD channels is so craptastic that upconverting it to 480p or 1080i doesn't really matter a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. YMMV.

Regs,
Jeff
Iceblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #1151
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtb

there is a difference, jtb. i think you should go ahead and hookup the s-video cable too and then decide in the future whether you don't mind changing inputs.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:50 AM   #1152
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

you can also get a remote that does everything for you...the Harmony remotes -- among others -- will do all the switching for you (including switching receivers if you route your audio through one, for example) at the press of a button...
Old 03-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #1153
lflorack

Quote:
you can also get a remote that does everything for you...the Harmony remotes -- among others -- will do all the switching for you (including switching receivers if you route your audio through one, for example) at the press of a button...
That's what I do. Universal remotes (I have an MX-500) with macros are great!
lflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #1154
jpeckinp

Quote:

I never keep shows. After I watch them I would delete them and my HD lasted 7 months and died. So I put my vote that it is the crappy Maxtor Drive that is in the unit. I have had so many Maxtors die in computer systems that I will never buy one again.

One thing I don't understand. Why if these drives are crap do the few companies that sell the replacement drives use the same drive? Wouldn't you think that after knowing that these drives suck that you would want to be better than DTV and use a better drive?
jpeckinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #1155
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeckinp
I never keep shows. After I watch them I would delete them and my HD lasted 7 months and died. So I put my vote that it is the crappy Maxtor Drive that is in the unit. I have had so many Maxtors die in computer systems that I will never buy one again.

One thing I don't understand. Why if these drives are crap do the few companies that sell the replacement drives use the same drive? Wouldn't you think that after knowing that these drives suck that you would want to be better than DTV and use a better drive?
Actually, most of the HR10-250 units come with Western Digital drives, not Maxtor drives.

With that said, the 'superiority' of any of these manufacturer's drives: Samsung, Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate tends to be a religious issue more than anything else. Our experience has been that Samsungs and Seagates have been overall, more reliable than Western Digitals and Maxtors; they've all been good, however and no brand has been fundamentally superior. I do have to say that over time, I've developed a mistrust of the Western Digital drives, but I think the issue we ran into a few years ago with them was a quality control issue that has since been remedied.

You can base your opinions on your own experiences, of course; naturally, we've had the benefit of dealing with these drives, by the thousands, for this particular type of application - so we base ours on our own experiences - we have no gripes with Maxtor drives other than the questionable Marketing practice of claiming a "Quickview" drive to be superior for TiVo-usage than any other drive. The test of time has proven that this is not the case, not that this hasn't been obvious from the start. (note QV drives aren't inferior for TiVo-use, either).

What we have seen, from time to time, are factory WD drives in HR10-250 units show up as bad when we initially test them (even in brand new units) which seems to be more of a quality control issue (perhaps even mishandling by the plant assembling the units) more than anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:03 AM   #1156
CDTV

Hey, (couldn't find answer in search engine)
I'm ready to hook-up my outside tv & would like to run it off my HD-tivo (inside-unit) as a second outside-tv. What's best way to do this? I've got a component-out available but thought I remembered you can't have 2 outputs that'd work on this thing(I'm using dvi-out on primary tv) -is this right? I'd never use both inside & outside at the same time...any help would be appreciated...
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #1157
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

Can I have both HDMI & Component active at the same time?

I would like to send 720p out over HDMI for HDTV viewing and then when I watch the SD SciFi channel switch to component in on my projector... this will allow the reciever to upconvert the selected 480i output (use 4-way to change from 720p to 480i) through the recievers Faroudja chip with DCDI which I think will provide a "better" SD image than the one the HD-Tivo provides just leaving it set on 720p.............

Thanks
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM   #1158
feldon23
MythBuster

Unfortunately that is not possible. Nor is it possible to improve the picture "quality" (I use the term laughably) that DirecTV has been shoving down our throats lately.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:48 PM   #1159
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23
Unfortunately that is not possible. Nor is it possible to improve the picture "quality" (I use the term laughably) that DirecTV has been shoving down our throats lately.
Feldon.........

You do not think that setting the output for SD at 480i and running it through a Faroudja to de-interlace it to 480p with it's DCDI process will provide any better image than the HD-Tivo??

Is the problem having both Component and HDMI hooked up at the same time?

Would the Tivo know both were connected if the Component output was not "active" through the receiver?... or is it just having the plugs physically installed the turns off one or the other?
Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #1160
feldon23
MythBuster

I don't even own any HD equipment. I just write FAQs about it. Apparently it's possible to read your way to this knowledge.

Actually I'm not sure if Component and HDMI are active at the same time. I shouldn't have sounded so certain.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:34 PM   #1161
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

Okay thanks..... more experimentation I guess.........
Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #1162
maharg18

Once you plug HDMI in, it disables the component output.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:26 AM   #1163
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

for what it's worth, it does output compnent and s-video together.

i tried it last weekend.

i don't know if it would output HDMI and s-video together, i refuse to even try the HDMI connection, but i'd guess it would.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #1164
newsposter
Poster of News

yes i have hdmi going to my TV and S vid going to my dvd burner (2nd hdtivo is on component and S vid because my tv only has one hdmi). Of course you gotta kick down to 480i record a dvd though But both will be output at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23
I don't even own any HD equipment. I just write FAQs about it. Apparently it's possible to read your way to this knowledge.
imagine what more you could add if you bought some

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #1165
tall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto
for what it's worth, it does output compnent and s-video together.

i tried it last weekend.

i don't know if it would output HDMI and s-video together, i refuse to even try the HDMI connection, but i'd guess it would.
Why? They stopped shipping the HR10 with bad HDMI ("HUGHES HDMI CARD 1034054") cards long ago. I've been using HDMI on both HR10s with no problems. The HDMI cards marked 1035849 have had no problems. Unless you have one of the first batch of HDTivos, HDMI should work just fine.
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #1166
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall1
Why? They stopped shipping the HR10 with bad HDMI ("HUGHES HDMI CARD 1034054") cards long ago. I've been using HDMI on both HR10s with no problems. The HDMI cards marked 1035849 have had no problems. Unless you have one of the first batch of HDTivos, HDMI should work just fine.
god knows what i have, tall1, not me.

remember, if anything goes wrong with my directv hardware, i'm screwed.

there's no such thing as a directv warranty when you live in canada.

Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #1167
noahsd

I apologize in advance for asking this question which I'm sure has been discussed (although I couldn't find the appropriate thread):

D* just introduced local HD in San Diego yesterday (Yippee). Unfortunately, I just found out that the price for getting this (aside from the $99 upgrade) is to give up TIVO. I have an HR10 and have not had a problem. OTA is not an option where I live, so I've had to put up with SD on most channels. The service rep told me they expect an HD-DVR to be available in mid-summer. My question is: Does anyone know or have a guess whether their DVR will be "TIVO-like"? By this I mean, will it be able to record by title rather than strictly by time and channel. Thanks!
noahsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:20 AM   #1168
HiHoStevo
Airport Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18
Once you plug HDMI in, it disables the component output.
Rats..........

I was thinking about buying the JVC 702B receiver. I does HDMI switching and it de-interlaces (Faroudja DCDI chip) all the analog 480i signals and transcodes them out over the HDMI out.

The reason I am wondering about this is that I was thinking the DCDI'd 480i SDTV signal might look better from the Faroudja chip than it does from whatever the HD-Tivo is using to upconvert 480i to 720p when I have 720p selected as my output resolution.

I suppose a work-a-round would be to connect the HDMI and S-video from the Tivo to the reciever and then switch the tivo to 480i whenever watching SD. I presume I would have to make a change in the receiver selection also, but I am not familliar enough with the JVC to know exactly at this point... although I do know it will output the signal over HDMI even though it comes in on S-video...

Also... I have not seen anyone mention whether or not the HD-Tivo output's audio over it's HDMI cable...??

Sorry for the email Tall1, for some reason I was not getting notified that folks had responded to this thread...... go figure!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 AM   #1169
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsd
I apologize in advance for asking this question which I'm sure has been discussed (although I couldn't find the appropriate thread):

D* just introduced local HD in San Diego yesterday (Yippee). Unfortunately, I just found out that the price for getting this (aside from the $99 upgrade) is to give up TIVO. I have an HR10 and have not had a problem. OTA is not an option where I live, so I've had to put up with SD on most channels. The service rep told me they expect an HD-DVR to be available in mid-summer. My question is: Does anyone know or have a guess whether their DVR will be "TIVO-like"? By this I mean, will it be able to record by title rather than strictly by time and channel. Thanks!
yes, all indications are that it will be "tivo-like"...however, based on experience, I find the promise of a mid-summer rollout to be hard to believe...

heck, I'll be happy if I see it in Summer, 2007!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #1170
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
yes, all indications are that it will be "tivo-like"...however, based on experience, I find the promise of a mid-summer rollout to be hard to believe...

heck, I'll be happy if I see it in Summer, 2007!
r15 = tivo like? I only know what i read on the forum but I think if it was tivo like you wouldnt hear the old time tivoers complaining

!

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote