TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-11-2006, 03:20 PM   #1471
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho
I just asked this in the main Zipper thread, and realized I should have asked it here.

Can you run into problems by running the enhancement script multiple times, or is it designed for that?

I probably won't want to install everything the first time though, so can I run it a second & third time to add new hacks? Will I do any damage if I accidentally answer YES to a previously installed hack?

Finally, if I want to get rid of an installed hack, can I run the enhancement script and answer NO to a speicifc hack to remove it? If not, how does one remove an unwanted hack?

Thanks!!!
Uninstalling and reinstalling the zipper TiVo side if often suggested as a troubleshooting tip, so you should be fine.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #1472
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscpsycho
I just asked this in the main Zipper thread, and realized I should have asked it here.

Can you run into problems by running the enhancement script multiple times, or is it designed for that?

I probably won't want to install everything the first time though, so can I run it a second & third time to add new hacks? Will I do any damage if I accidentally answer YES to a previously installed hack?

Finally, if I want to get rid of an installed hack, can I run the enhancement script and answer NO to a speicifc hack to remove it? If not, how does one remove an unwanted hack?

Thanks!!!
If you use Zipper I believe it installs the "enhancement" script from this thread. If that is the case (and I think I am) there is a tweak_uninstall.sh script that will remove the enhancements that IT made. If you have the enhancements file on your tivo you can then run the tweak.sh script again ind it will allow you to reinstall the tweaks. If you have the correct DNS server listed in you networking configuration (I forget the exact location) tweak.sh will go out on the net and download the latest version of the enhancements script.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #1473
Carlton Bale

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers
If you use Zipper I believe it installs the "enhancement" script from this thread. If that is the case (and I think I am) there is a tweak_uninstall.sh script that will remove the enhancements that IT made. If you have the enhancements file on your tivo you can then run the tweak.sh script again ind it will allow you to reinstall the tweaks. If you have the correct DNS server listed in you networking configuration (I forget the exact location) tweak.sh will go out on the net and download the latest version of the enhancements script.
JWThiers: just confirming that everything you stated is true.

The only addition is that the correct DNS server has to be there regardless, to download the "package" that contains programs that the script installs. Also, you can't install the script without first un-installing it. So if you want to add programs that you didn't install the first time, un-install, the re-run.

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #1474
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale
JWThiers: just confirming that everything you stated is true.

The only addition is that the correct DNS server has to be there regardless, to download the "package" that contains programs that the script installs. Also, you can't install the script without first un-installing it. So if you want to add programs that you didn't install the first time, un-install, the re-run.
Thanks for the sanity check.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #1475
rbautch
User

The reason I "make" you uninstall the old before installing the new is that the script is riddled with commands that append things to the author file and the .profile, so that hacks startup when you boot. When you uninstall, it restores the original unappended author file and .profile, so you're starting with a clean slate for the new install. I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do this, but this is the cleanest, and prevents multiple conflicting startup commands in the author file and .profile.

I'm thinking of making DNS entry an option with the Zipper. Maybe something like "If you know your DNS, enter it here, otherwise press enter to continue".

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:10 AM   #1476
Jadawin

Well, it's time. With 4 Series 1 machines to maintain personally (between my house, and my parents), I've decided I need something to standardize installations. Might as well start with 'the best', and get myself a Series 1 version of The Enhancement Script.

So, I've started plugging through it. Any words of advice as I work on this are of course appreciated. When I get somewhere for public consumption, I'll take it to a new thread if needs be.

bash-2.02# ./swver-test.sh
Detected Tivo software version is: 3.1.0c2-01-1-011
./swver-test.sh: /tvbin/HpkPlatform: No such file or directory
Your software version was compiled on Linux kernel 2.4.4
Your Tivo model's code name is
Your Tivo model could not be determined

Sigh. .... It's a long, long, ro-oo-oad....
Jadawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 AM   #1477
Jadawin

Well, it's time. With four Series 1 machines to maintain personally (between my house, and my parents), I've decided I need something to standardize installations. Might as well start with 'the best', and get myself a Series 1 version of The Enhancement Script.

So, I've started plugging through it. Any words of advice as I work on this are of course appreciated. When I get somewhere for public consumption, I'll take it to a new thread if needs be.

bash-2.02# ./swver-test.sh
Detected Tivo software version is: 3.1.0c2-01-1-011
./swver-test.sh: /tvbin/HpkPlatform: No such file or directory
Your software version was compiled on Linux kernel 2.4.4
Your Tivo model's code name is
Your Tivo model could not be determined

Sigh. .... It's a long, long, ro-oo-oad....
SVR2000 - 30 hours
SAT-T60 - 335 hours
Jadawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #1478
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

I hacked my HR10-250 a while back, and I placed the hacks in /var (d'oh!). Recently one of the hard drives in the Tivo was dying, and I think this somehow caused /var to get wiped.

So I replaced the hard drive and I'm up and running again, but only have telnet access. This script looks like a great way to get back to where I was, and put the hacks in a place where they won't get deleted.

Am I going to have to pull the drive and reinstate /var/hack/tivoftpd.mips to transfer this script before I can use it, or is there some other way?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #1479
rbautch
User

Best of luck to you. I have only one request, and that is to not develop a separate set of scripts for S1, but rather modify the current script to recognize a S1 installation and tailor the hacks accordingly. Also keep track of the changes you make to the current script, since I may be making my own changes in parallel. I assume you know that changes you need to make are not in tweak.sh.

HpkPlatform is a utility that identifies the type of tivo you have by it's "codename". Looks like S1 tivos don't have that utility (or maybe it's located somewhere else), so you may have to find a different way to identify your tivo as an S1. My suggestion is to use the crypto utility that should be on your tivo already.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #1480
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrig
I hacked my HR10-250 a while back, and I placed the hacks in /var (d'oh!). Recently one of the hard drives in the Tivo was dying, and I think this somehow caused /var to get wiped.

So I replaced the hard drive and I'm up and running again, but only have telnet access. This script looks like a great way to get back to where I was, and put the hacks in a place where they won't get deleted.

Am I going to have to pull the drive and reinstate /var/hack/tivoftpd.mips to transfer this script before I can use it, or is there some other way?

Thanks,

Matt
Yes, unless you have a serial cable. Next time, put tivoftpd somewhere else other than var.

or

Old 04-13-2006, 10:11 AM   #1481
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Yes, unless you have a serial cable. Next time, put tivoftpd somewhere else other than var.
Yeah, I've learned my /var lesson!

I do have the components to build a serial cable...maybe it's finally time I put it together. How would it work using that?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #1482
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
Yeah, I've learned my /var lesson!

I do have the components to build a serial cable...maybe it's finally time I put it together. How would it work using that?

Thanks,

Matt
gets you a bash prompt.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 AM   #1483
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers
gets you a bash prompt.
I'm a Linux/Tivo newb, I need explicit instructions!

I've already got the telnet bash over ethernet. So I've been doing a little research...found something about zmodem, rz/sz? I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to transfer the file over serial. Do I need some special software on the PC side?

Thanks,

Matt

Edit - Hey, I think I found the explicit instructions I need! http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/37.html

Last edited by bigrig : 04-13-2006 at 12:05 PM.
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #1484
Geezer

Quote:
The reason I "make" you uninstall the old before installing the new is that the script is riddled with commands that append things to the author file and the .profile, so that hacks startup when you boot. When you uninstall, it restores the original unappended author file and .profile, so you're starting with a clean slate for the new install. I'm sure there's a more elegant way to do this, but this is the cleanest, and prevents multiple conflicting startup commands in the author file and .profile.
I'm not trying to make more work for you because the script is already fantastic. One option maybe to ask whether you want to append to the author file for each section - if reinstalling then you could answer no to all the previous installs. Another option would be to grep the author file to see if the strings exists and then ask whether to overwrite, etc.

Of course, this would open the install script up to a whole new set of user errors .
Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 PM   #1485
JWThiers
Smartypants

Quote:
I'm a Linux/Tivo newb, I need explicit instructions!

I've already got the telnet bash over ethernet. So I've been doing a little research...found something about zmodem, rz/sz? I'm still trying to figure out how exactly to transfer the file over serial. Do I need some special software on the PC side?

Thanks,

Matt

Edit - Hey, I think I found the explicit instructions I need! http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tivo...ki.net/37.html
yep that looks like it will do it.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:51 PM   #1486
joebread

Hey Guys, I just hacked one of my tivos w/ the zipper and it worked amaingly but I want to hack my hr10-250 unit. I ran the zipper on the drive and have a working bash prompt into the tivo but when i try to run the superscript it says that my software is not supported???I know at least 7 people in this forum have upgraded their hr10-250 what am I doing wrong?
joebread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #1487
sparks

ok I am going to edit this and say thanks I got it working

but with mfs do you or should I say must you configure this?
I want to but have read(not sure who) that it was not only not necessary but not
a good idea..
true/false??

personally I want it but have to ask

if not I guess I can do later in tivowebplus

sparks

Last edited by sparks : 04-13-2006 at 08:37 PM.
sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #1488
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebread
Hey Guys, I just hacked one of my tivos w/ the zipper and it worked amaingly but I want to hack my hr10-250 unit. I ran the zipper on the drive and have a working bash prompt into the tivo but when i try to run the superscript it says that my software is not supported???I know at least 7 people in this forum have upgraded their hr10-250 what am I doing wrong?
The HR10-250 runs an older version of the TiVo software than the other DTiVos do. You can hack it and do some stuff, but not nearly as much. If you can telnet into it you've got about 50% of the hacks that we can talk about here on it already. TiVoweb and CID are the main two hacks people put on it. Do some reading around in the Underground here and see what folks are running on their HR10-250s. That'll give you an idea what can and cannot be done on it.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:35 AM   #1489
rbautch
User

The HR10-250 works with the Zipper and the enhancement script. The only catch is that you have to have 3.1.5f or 3.1.5e software, which were the latest versions. The superpatch doesnt work on 3.x software, so I have to do manual tivoapp patches in the script. I can't make up tivoapp patches to cover every past version of the software. So, upgrade your software and try again.

or

Old 04-14-2006, 12:37 AM   #1490
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
ok I am going to edit this and say thanks I got it working

but with mfs do you or should I say must you configure this?
I want to but have read(not sure who) that it was not only not necessary but not
a good idea..
true/false??

personally I want it but have to ask

if not I guess I can do later in tivowebplus

sparks
Huh?

or

Old 04-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #1491
sparks

just want to say I am sorry and should read my own words before posting.
I said MFS because that was the line I was on in the script when I thought of some questions.

MFS ask for the other tivo address and since I have not assigned static addresses
this should be skipped?

In netconfig should I give the tivo a static IP ?
I have heard that its a good idea and some post on ddb have said
its not.
a lot of this was posted when I did my first tivo last june...with lots of failures

what should I do, set it up static ip adresses, or does it matter, right now I am not transferring between tivos anyway. I have not run any cables yet between the two.

again sorry for not checking my own post...it was stupid
but then again so am I LOL

I hope this makes more since.

sparks

Last edited by sparks : 04-14-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #1492
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

PATH Problem

Okay, so I pulled the drive and got FTP working again. Put the tivotools binaries in /busybox. Can't get the script to work, though - for some reason the path to the busybox commands isn't working.

I added the following to rc.sysinit.author:
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/busybox
Should I use the line from the 6.2 unguide?
Code:
export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
Or should I have it in a separate ".profile" file like I had previously? Along with with a statement for the Library Path? I'm not sure if I need that anymore...
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/var/hack/lib
export PATH=$PATH:/var/hack/bin
Thanks guys!

Matt
Old 04-14-2006, 09:48 AM   #1493
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Oh yeah, I had one more question:

As the script runs and installs the enhancements, does it modify rc.sysinit.author also?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #1494
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks
just want to say I am sorry and should read my own words before posting.
I said MFS because that was the line I was on in the script when I thought of some questions.

MFS ask for the other tivo address and since I have not assigned static addresses
this should be skipped?

In netconfig should I give the tivo a static IP ?
I have heard that its a good idea and some post on ddb have said
its not.
a lot of this was posted when I did my first tivo last june...with lots of failures

what should I do, set it up static ip adresses, or does it matter, right now I am not transferring between tivos anyway. I have not run any cables yet between the two.

again sorry for not checking my own post...it was stupid
but then again so am I LOL

I hope this makes more since.

sparks
No problem. Static or dhcp doesnt matter, even if you MRV. MRV requires IP params set in MFS, regardless of static or dhcp.

or

Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #1495
rbautch
User

Quote:
Okay, so I pulled the drive and got FTP working again. Put the tivotools binaries in /busybox. Can't get the script to work, though - for some reason the path to the busybox commands isn't working.

I added the following to rc.sysinit.author:
Code:
export PATH=$PATH:/busybox
Should I use the line from the 6.2 unguide?
Code:
Or should I have it in a separate ".profile" file like I had previously? Along with with a statement for the Library Path? I'm not sure if I need that anymore...
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/var/hack/lib
export PATH=$PATH:/var/hack/bin
Thanks guys!

Matt
Use this in your author file:
Code:

or

Old 04-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #1496
rbautch
User

Quote:
Oh yeah, I had one more question:

As the script runs and installs the enhancements, does it modify rc.sysinit.author also?
Yes, but it backs up your original author file first.

or

Old 04-14-2006, 10:03 AM   #1497
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Thanks rbautch, I'll give that a shot!
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #1498
sparks

thank you very much rbautch for the answer and your script.
I have a question on the usb side

after the patch I was curious about what is active in my tivo

lsmod shows this

Module Size Used by Not tainted
af_packet 12096 2
ax8817x 26864 1
usb-ohci 23888 0 (unused)
usbcore 101936 0 [ax8817x usb-ohci]
router 66896 36
therm 1488 0
fan 2240 0
ideturbo 5216 1
irblast 3792 0 (unused)
brcmdrv-rb 1228256 138
cobra 91264 4
oslink 26112 13
ircatch 26832 2
i2c_Series2 14320 0 [therm fan cobra]
modemtty_Series2 4896 0
fpga 1920 2
tivoconfig 960 0 (unused)

the usb.map show that this is for a version2

device ax8817x
product 13b1 0018 Linksys USB200MV2
is this the same for a version1?

the original usb.map listed
device ax8817x
product 077b 2226 Linksys USB200M

thanks for info, I are confused LOL

sparks
I know linux ...yep I knew linux....well I did 10 yrs ago
now I remember just enough to be dangerous LOL

sparks

Last edited by sparks : 04-14-2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:56 AM   #1499
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Quote:
Use this in your author file:
Code:
Nope, that doesn't do the trick, either.

Should I put all this stuff in from the unguide?
Code:
#!/bin/bash
export TIVO_ROOT=""
export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
I'm not sure if that other stuff works with my 3.1.5d kernel.

I used to have a ".profile" file to set the path, should I go back to that?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-15-2006, 01:17 PM   #1500
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

Okay, .profile did the trick for the path. I couldn't get the script to download the file for some reason, so I manually downloaded it and put it it in the same folder.

Ran the script and it worked great, thanks so much rbautch!!!

But - now my .profile doesn't set the path anymore, I guess it was changed. Is there a way to show the hidden .profile with a FTP client so I can transfer it over and then append to it?

Also...I don't see AlmostThere.png in /tvbin?
Edit - Found the answer for this one. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3763610

Thanks,

Matt