Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 PM   #1441
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteffens
I am getting the following error...I hacked a Phillips DSR704 running 6.2. Unit is up and running and ethernet is working...but when I run the sh tweak.sh I get the following error. I know the network is setup properly, but I assume it is wanting me to add (since the script only asked for the IP and the Gateway IP) the DNS information to the Tivo unit it self, can anyone point me to where this is located? Any help would be much appreciated.

Downloading latest Enhancement script...
wget: xxx.mastersav.xxx: Host name lookup failure
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: y

Make sure your Tivo is connected to the internet, and
your network settings are correct. Exiting...
rm: /enhancements: No such file or directory
If you used the Zipper to hack your tivo, it sets the DNS setting to your router's IP address, which suits most folks but not all. You can use the network module of tivowebplus to change your IP params and DNS setting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:38 AM   #1442
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runch Machine
I've used the Zipper to install the enhacement script on two Samsung DirecTivos and 2 HR10-250s with great success. My favorite feature is Caller ID. However, after a day or two Caller ID stops working and I have to reboot the Tivos to get it back. This happens on all 4 of them. Any idea why this happens and how to fix it?
I had a similar problem. I believe my trouble started because my modem needed to be reset due to a partly unsuccessful call-in (I have VIOP). I switched the phone line to a different unit that would not connect at all and now all is well.
Check this thread, post #14 for a better expaination.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #1443
asteffens

Thanks

I was able to manually edit the file, I pulled it off via FTP, edited it in Notepad and FTP'd it back...but using the Web interface would have been a lot easier Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the help.
asteffens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:09 PM   #1444
rbautch
User

Quote:
I was able to manually edit the file, I pulled it off via FTP, edited it in Notepad and FTP'd it back...but using the Web interface would have been a lot easier Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the help.
Edit what file?

or

Old 03-31-2006, 01:44 AM   #1445
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

Quote:
I am getting the following error...I hacked a Phillips DSR704 running 6.2. Unit is up and running and ethernet is working...but when I run the sh tweak.sh I get the following error. I know the network is setup properly, but I assume it is wanting me to add (since the script only asked for the IP and the Gateway IP) the DNS information to the Tivo unit it self, can anyone point me to where this is located? Any help would be much appreciated.

Downloading latest Enhancement script...
wget: xxx.mastersav.xxx: Host name lookup failure
Download failed. Adjust DNS and try again? [y/n]: y

Make sure your Tivo is connected to the internet, and
your network settings are correct. Exiting...
rm: /enhancements: No such file or directory
I had this happen a few times. Something in my router went out for lunch and wasn't parsing the DNS request correctly though net access to my other computers worked fine. Rebooted the router and everything was good. Rebooting also took care of my NowPlayingList slowdowns. Guess everything needs a reboot every now and then (haven't found the reset button on my brain yet though).
6stringbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:11 PM   #1446
Carlton Bale

I had the same "wget won't work" problem on the last TiVo I upgraded (friend had a Linksys Vonage router). I tried both the router IP address and the DNS server IP addresses and nothing would work. wget would resolve the host name to the correct IP address but wouldn't download the file. Instead, I just edited the script to point to a local PC ip address, did a quick apache install on that local pc, downloaded the file to that PC, and used the pc serve the file to the tivo. Sounds complicated, and it would be for someone that hasn't done this type of thing before, but total time for me was about 3 minutes; figured I would have spent much longer than that trying to resolve the mystery network issue.

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #1447
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale
I had the same "wget won't work" problem on the last TiVo I upgraded (friend had a Linksys Vonage router). I tried both the router IP address and the DNS server IP addresses and nothing would work. wget would resolve the host name to the correct IP address but wouldn't download the file. Instead, I just edited the script to point to a local PC ip address, did a quick apache install on that local pc, downloaded the file to that PC, and used the pc serve the file to the tivo. Sounds complicated, and it would be for someone that hasn't done this type of thing before, but total time for me was about 3 minutes; figured I would have spent much longer than that trying to resolve the mystery network issue.
If wget doesn't work, you can also just copy the file over and drop it into the same folder as tweak.sh. Tweah.sh checks for it when it starts up.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #1448
aladdin4d

Ok I've used this script and LOVE it! Props to the author! But.....(you had to know that was coming) I'm having a problem with the network drivers. No matter what I try usbnet.o and the sym link for ax8817x.o are deleted and the original ax8817x.o is restored whenever the Tivo is rebooted (Dtivo w/6.2) All of the other files for the USB2 package are left intact. I figure there's somethng really simple that I'm missing and I'll feel like an idiot but I'm at my wits end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aladdin4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #1449
rbautch
User

What kind of tivo do you have? Check the author file for anything out of the ordinary. Post it here if you like.

or

Old 04-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #1450
aladdin4d

I have a Samsung SIR-S4040 DirecTivo running 6.2 from PTVUpgrade and original networking installed from a PTVnet CD. At this time the only other hacks I have installed are Superpatch67 and your Enhancements. I have also tried manually installing the USB2 drivers from the latest tarball from 'that other forum' and have the same problem.

Here is my author file:

## ~~ Start of user section ~~ ##

#!/bin/bash

# PTVupgrade PTVnet rc.sysinit.author for Series2 DirecTV DVR
#

# If you want to have a static IP address, you need to change
# the STATIC_IP variables below to your desired IP address,
# and rename DHCP_ON to STATIC_ON
#
# For more information on this, go to (url removed for post)
# and make sure you know what you are doing. If you make a mistake
# doing this, you may not find your TiVo on your network, ever again...
#
# Oh, and if you don't have a serial cable, get one, it could save you
# a lot of trouble if you mess this up.
#
STATIC_IP=192.168.1.98
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

#
#
######### First time booting? ########
#
# This checks for the FIRSTTIME_ON flag and does a few neat things.
# Mainly, it runs 51killer.tcl so you don't have to do a Clear and
# Delete everything when putting a new drive in your TiVo.
# It also restores the splashscreen to the appropriate one.
#
# Note: If you set this flag back to ON after you've been using your
# TiVo and recording programs, running 51killer.tcl again will mess up
# your existing recordings. We use this flag when preparing new drives
# for installation in different units to save time for customers, you
# probably don't ever need to use this.

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/FIRSTTIME_ON ]; then
tivosh /ptvupgrade/bin/51killer.tcl
/ptvupgrade/bin/rootwrite;
cp /init/ptv_images/PromScreen2Version7.NTSC.png /tvbin
rm -rf /init/ptv_flags/FIRSTTIME_ON
/ptvupgrade/bin/rootread;
sync
reboot
fi
#######

# This sets the priority of hacks and shell commands to the lowest
# possible priority so that the TiVo operation is not affected by
# your tinkering; uncomment this if you find your tinkering gets in the
# way, just note that sometimes you can lock up the shell if you do have this
# uncommented, so be prepared with a serial cable, just in case you mess things
# up.
# setpri fifo 1 $$

# Startup BASH in case you are using a serial cable to connect
# This has been moved to the /init directory so that shell starts
# right at boot time
# /bin/bash -login</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2 &

# Lets set the path to look in our own bin first, and then busybox
export PATH=$PATH:/ptvupgrade/bin:/ptvupgrade/busybox:/enhancements

# An extra library directory needed for yac and elseed
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/ptvupgrade/lib:/enhancements

# Check flags for IP address (we recommend you just stick with DHCP)
if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/DHCP_ON ]; then
/ptvupgrade/bin/dhcp_enable.ptv
fi

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/STATIC_ON ]; then
ifconfig eth0 $STATIC_IP broadcast $BROADCAST netmask $NETMASK
route add default gw $GATEWAY
fi

sleep 3

#start telnet

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/TELNET_ON ]; then
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
fi

#start ftp

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/FTP_ON ]; then
/ptvupgrade/bin/tivoftpd
fi

#start tivowebplus

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/TIVOWEB_ON ]; then
mkdir -p /var/hack
/ptvupgrade/tivowebplus/tivoweb
sleep 30
fi

# check to see if PHONE_OFF has been set - if it is then we check to ensure
# cron is setup so that fakecall is automatically run

if [ -f /init/ptv_flags/PHONE_OFF ]; then
if ! [ -f /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root ]; then
/ptvupgrade/misc/cron_stuff/setup_cron
fi
phonereset.tcl
fakecall.tcl
crond
fi

# start extended tpm apps or other things
# thanks mike for the tpm structure

for i in /init/ptv_start/S[0-9][0-9]*
do
# Check if the script is there
[ ! -f $i ] && continue
source $i start
done

### ~~ End of user section ~~ ###

#############################################
# starting NCID CallerID
touch /var/log/cidcall.log &
cd /var/hack/sbin; ./ncidd
cd /var/hack/bin; ./tivocid &

# starting Tivowebplus
/enhancements/TWPrun.sh

# start crond after waiting 30 seconds
sleep 30
/busybox/crond

# Check if var got wiped, and if so, rebuild symlinks from /enhancements/varhacks
if [ ! -e /var/vardelete_flag ]; then
sh /enhancements/var-symlinks.sh
fi
Old 04-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #1451
rbautch
User

I don't see anything here that would delete the symlink. Maybe try starting with a fresh author file (from the zipper tools disk), and then run the enhancement script again.

or

Old 04-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #1452
titleistmd

I had the same problem. I have vonage also. I just uninstalled script and reinstalled and that fixed it for me.

4 phillips DTV 708s zippered and hacked

THANKS GUNNY, RBAUTCH, ET. AL
titleistmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:43 AM   #1453
aladdin4d

Thanks for your quick responses and all your hard work rbautch! I never did find out what the problem was but I fixed it with a sledge hammer approach. I started from scratch trying a method of my own that ended up merging with the Zipper instructions about halfway through and your enhancemnt script worked flawlessly network and all. No more mysteriously disappearing usbnet.o
Old 04-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #1454
Geezer

I just ran tweak_uninstall.sh and then ran tweak.sh.

I no longer have an enhancements directory. Everything appears to be working except of course for the aliases. That means Tivowebplus doesn't start. I can start it manually without a problem. I can edit the author file to have it start but I'm confused as to why I no longer have the enhancements directory. Can I manually recreate it?

Thanks,
Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #1455
aladdin4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleistmd
I had the same problem. I have vonage also. I just uninstalled script and reinstalled and that fixed it for me.
Tried that myself SEVERAL times and had no luck. Originally I just used PTVnet and Icake to create my drives and I think PTVupgrade does something the Zipper doesn't to protect and restore system files although I haven't gone through the scripts myself yet. In the end I used PTVnet only to restore an image to 2 drives then ran the zipper from that point and all is well as Wife 2.0 now has 'her' enhanced Tivo back!
Old 04-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #1456
trainsho

don't shoot the newbie

so GLAD to find you all!!! new to this "hobby" but have wanted these enhancements forever. my question is simply this what will work on the R10 Dtivo??

thanks J
trainsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:11 PM   #1457
mstbone67a

I am proof that yes it can be done on an R10, now of course I had to replace the PROMS.

I used the tweak.sh and have MRV working, wife loves it!

I have one more R10 to change the PROM on.
DUB-E100 Network adapters for all,I am using Dlink DUB-
mstbone67a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 PM   #1458
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer
I just ran tweak_uninstall.sh and then ran tweak.sh.

I no longer have an enhancements directory. Everything appears to be working except of course for the aliases. That means Tivowebplus doesn't start. I can start it manually without a problem. I can edit the author file to have it start but I'm confused as to why I no longer have the enhancements directory. Can I manually recreate it?

Thanks,
Repeat the uninstall/reinstall.

or

Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #1459
mstbone67a

FIRST OFF YOU GUYS(you know who you are) ARE AWESOME!! These additions to tivo are the best.

1. I do have a problem, I do not see the HACKMAN listed on my tivowebplus pages for either of my r10's. I see the hackman files are installed.
BasementR10-bash# ls -lrt hack*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 15633 root 147955 Mar 24 01:33 hackman.itcl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189 Mar 31 05:14 hackman.ini.last
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189 Mar 31 05:14 hackman.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6337 Apr 5 09:15 hackman.cfg.draft
BasementR10-bash# pwd
/tivowebplus/modules

2. I thought I read that fakecall will make it move the date out 6 days and never fail. I can see inside tivo-settings where it trys to dial and fails. Now of course I don't see any nag messages any more so looks good anyways.

3. Showcases? When I ran the tweak Do you want Showcases and Yellow Stars? [y/n]: n
Showcase tokens removed successfully! But I am seeing showcases and yellow stars still.
Side note I do see an Menu item called "Promos" now in the "Messages and Setup " screen. But the info in Promos is a bunch of html code mentioning showcase.

4. Did anyone get the "autospace" module to work with R10? I am thinking of using the DailyMail to keep track of space but wife would like to see it on tv.

5. Has anyone tried YAC with the R10 what I read it sounds usable since NCID doesnt yet.

Thanks again and I realize I might need to move some of these questions to different threads.
DUB-E100 Network adapters for all,I am using Dlink DUB-
mstbone67a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:13 AM   #1460
trainsho

Cool r10 thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstbone67a
I am proof that yes it can be done on an R10, now of course I had to replace the PROMS.

I used the tweak.sh and have MRV working, wife loves it!

I have one more R10 to change the PROM on.

AWSome, so willing to change the PROM, so off to find / read threads for that.... any leads thanks. J

Old 04-08-2006, 07:39 AM   #1461
Billy66
Again with shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
13. Installs USB 2.0 Drivers. First backs up original drivers to a folder called backups-orig. Installs the correct drivers based on the kernel version of your Tivo that’s detected by the script. Thanks to Jamie and Alldeadhomiez for making this possible, and for granting permission to use the drivers here. There's always a slight chance that replacing drivers will kill your connection, so be prepared to break out the serial cable or pull the drive. Adapters tested so far include: Netgear FA120, Linksys WUSB11, Airlink ASOHOUSB.
I've given it a yoeman's search effort, but I'm not sure about wireless settings to use the WUSB11 ver 2.6. I'm assuming that I need to edit my RC.sysinit.author file to accomodate it. Can anyone give me an assist/link? I'm using an HR10-250 and I ran this enhancement script, not the Zipper.
Thanks
Billy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM   #1462
Billy66
Again with shoelaces

Quote:
FIRST OFF YOU GUYS(you know who you are) ARE AWESOME!! These additions to tivo are the best.

1. I do have a problem, I do not see the HACKMAN listed on my tivowebplus pages for either of my r10's. I see the hackman files are installed.
BasementR10-bash# ls -lrt hack*
-rwxrwxrwx 1 15633 root 147955 Mar 24 01:33 hackman.itcl
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189 Mar 31 05:14 hackman.ini.last
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 189 Mar 31 05:14 hackman.ini
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6337 Apr 5 09:15 hackman.cfg.draft
BasementR10-bash# pwd
/tivowebplus/modules
Delete your hackman.ini and .cfg files and then reload TWP and Hackman should reinitiate.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:44 AM   #1463
slydog75
Not all that sly

WHere can I find a breakdown of what the different colors mean when using telnet?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Mark Twain
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #1464
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog75
WHere can I find a breakdown of what the different colors mean when using telnet?
Google for "linux bash colors" should point you in the right direction (that's how I found it many months ago whan I set up the bash colors).

or

Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #1465
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy66
I've given it a yoeman's search effort, but I'm not sure about wireless settings to use the WUSB11 ver 2.6. I'm assuming that I need to edit my RC.sysinit.author file to accomodate it. Can anyone give me an assist/link? I'm using an HR10-250 and I ran this enhancement script, not the Zipper.
Thanks
Wireless doesn't work with an HR10-250, since it uses old software (3.1.5)

or

Old 04-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #1466
Billy66
Again with shoelaces

Thanks rbautch, you saved me a lot more screwing around.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #1467
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsho
AWSome, so willing to change the PROM, so off to find / read threads for that.... any leads thanks. J
Replacing the PROM is not for the casual user. See the thread called "list of unhackable tivos". It would be cheaper/easier/less risky to buy a hackable tivo on ebay or from a retailer like ptvupgrade or weaknees. If you sell your R10 on ebay, you might break even.

or

Old 04-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #1468
rbautch
User

Quote:
2. I thought I read that fakecall will make it move the date out 6 days and never fail. I can see inside tivo-settings where it trys to dial and fails. Now of course I don't see any nag messages any more so looks good anyways.
Try running fakecall manually and see if you get the same result.

Quote:
3. Showcases? When I ran the tweak Do you want Showcases and Yellow Stars? [y/n]: n
Showcase tokens removed successfully! But I am seeing showcases and yellow stars still.
Side note I do see an Menu item called "Promos" now in the "Messages and Setup " screen. But the info in Promos is a bunch of html code mentioning showcase.
Give it some time. The script only tells tivo to stop sending showcase tokens. Now you have to wait for ones you already have to expire and go away.

Quote:
5. Has anyone tried YAC with the R10 what I read it sounds usable since NCID doesnt yet.
I believe it's the out2osd program that doesnt work with s2.5 tivos, so neither program will work until there's an on-screen display program made to work with it.

or

Old 04-09-2006, 11:45 AM   #1469
trainsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Replacing the PROM is not for the casual user. See the thread called "list of unhackable tivos". It would be cheaper/easier/less risky to buy a hackable tivo on ebay or from a retailer like ptvupgrade or weaknees. If you sell your R10 on ebay, you might break even.

I am looking into doing both, R10 for practice , buying more Just for having more !!!

Thanks rbautch for the input for sure, I build my own computers so maybe I can deal with the PROM, it'll be fun just to try anyway. Isn't that the best part of this hobby, PLAY !!!!! I am so looking forward to using the zipper on my SIR-s4040r, even going to add more drives to it. thanks again. J
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #1470
uscpsycho

Question from first time modder

I just asked this in the main Zipper thread, and realized I should have asked it here.

Can you run into problems by running the enhancement script multiple times, or is it designed for that?

I probably won't want to install everything the first time though, so can I run it a second & third time to add new hacks? Will I do any damage if I accidentally answer YES to a previously installed hack?

Finally, if I want to get rid of an installed hack, can I run the enhancement script and answer NO to a speicifc hack to remove it? If not, how does one remove an unwanted hack?

Thanks!!!
uscpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote