TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #1
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

TiVoPlayList - Space Available App

For anyone interested, I have written a little app that runs on a Windows PC that will estimate the space remaining on a TiVo unit that is networked and running version 7.x.

Here is a link to a page where it can be downloaded:
http://tivoplaylist.dyndns.org

Other features include batch downloading of multiple recordings using a download queue (even from different machines), graphical Pie Chart representation of space used VS space available, and export of TiVo Now Playing lists to CSV files for use in Excel or other programs.

Last edited by dcahoe : 01-11-2009 at 01:05 PM.
dcahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #2
OldTownTreadles
Shade Tree Mechanic

HUGS

Thank you! Now that's motivational! Plus good Monday news, and both are welcome.
OldTownTreadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Amnesia
The Question

Does the machine you install this on need to have TiVo desktop?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
ufo4sale

What size hard drive does the 140 hour TiVo come with? If one of my TiVo's has 203hours and 56 minutes on basic, what size hard drive would that be?
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
Does the machine you install this on need to have TiVo desktop?
No, technically Tivo Desktop is not required for this program to function. However, any shows copied to your PC will be encrypted with your MAK and may require Tivo Desktop for you to play them back. You may be able to convert them to MPG with DirectShow Dump or VideoRedo without it though.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale
What size hard drive does the 140 hour TiVo come with? If one of my TiVo's has 203hours and 56 minutes on basic, what size hard drive would that be?
I personally have a 140 hour TiVo and have found that I have a little over 102Gb of storage space. If your machine records 204 hours of shows at basic quality, I would say your capacity is about 149Gb.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #7
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale
What size hard drive does the 140 hour TiVo come with?
When I opened mine up (Series 2 240) it had a Western Digital 120GB in it.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns
When I opened mine up (Series 2 240) it had a Western Digital 120GB in it.
Greg, what sort of recording capacity do you find you get? If yours is listed as a 140 hour machine, do you get a little over 102Gb of recordings also?

I have not opened my machine up yet, but I will soon. It is a Series 2 540. If I find a 120Gb hard drive also and figure the formatted capacity is 120Gb (which it probably isn't), then that means the OS and system overhead is over 17Gb which is good to know.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
greg_burns
Now in HD

Unfortunately I upgraded my 240 unit and added a second drive quite some time ago. Currently have a 160GB + 320GB. Which shows up as 568 Hours @ Basic.

I moved that Western Digital 120GB into my 40Hour refurb 540 unit (removing the original drive). It shows up as only 130 Hours @ Basic. I'm assuming it used to show up as 140 Hours @ Basic when it was in my 240, or somebody would have complained.

I haven't filled up either drive to determine just how much (in GB) really fits on either. The 120GB drive isn't connected to any video source, so it will be quite sometime before I MRV enough stuff over to be able to say how much it holds.

On a related note, the new Tivo units everyone is talking about is listed as 180 Hours. I've never seen a 180GB drive and would seem safe to assume these are going to be 160GB drives (which are extremely common).
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
morac
Cat God

It looks interesting, unfortunately since I run at 120 DPI it doesn't fit in the window that opens and the window can't be resized to make it wider (it can be made taller).

So basically all the columns to the right of Duration are missing as is the option to choose the view and refresh or exit the app (half of the view graph and export list are visible).

Can you make it so that the window can be resized to be wider?
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #11
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac
It looks interesting, unfortunately since I run at 120 DPI it doesn't fit in the window that opens and the window can't be resized to make it wider (it can be made taller).

So basically all the columns to the right of Duration are missing as is the option to choose the view and refresh or exit the app (half of the view graph and export list are visible).

Can you make it so that the window can be resized to be wider?
I tested this and see what you mean. I'll see what I can do.

OK. Try downloading v0.51a of the .exe and just replacing it in your apps folder.

Last edited by dcahoe : 03-27-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #12
Sirshagg

Thumbs up

Nice.

I tried downloading a show what at work (there's a VPN between my home and the office). I t saved only a few bytes of the show. Is this a limitation of the software since i'm on a different subnet? Otherwise everything appears to work fine.
Sirshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirshagg
Nice.

I tried downloading a show what at work (there's a VPN between my home and the office). I t saved only a few bytes of the show. Is this a limitation of the software since i'm on a different subnet? Otherwise everything appears to work fine.
Thanks for the input Sirshagg.

If you open the file that was created with something like Notepad is it just HTML that says something like <h2>Authorization Required</h2>? Or do you see the TiVo header info (license, notice, etc.) (a.k.a. metadata) followed by the start of the mpg data?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #14
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

I'm seeing "<h2>Authorization Required</h2>"
???

on my tivo, under "TiVoToGo" in system info, I see "a,a,a" and galleon downloads did work, but it's since been de-installed from my comp.

btw, I really like this simple program, run it when you need to, no constant server running approach to saving programs!!! THANKS!!!!!!!

jmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
Sirshagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahoe
Thanks for the input Sirshagg.

If you open the file that was created with something like Notepad is it just HTML that says something like <h2>Authorization Required</h2>? Or do you see the TiVo header info (license, notice, etc.) (a.k.a. metadata) followed by the start of the mpg data?
<h2>Authorization Required</h2>
Old 03-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
<h2>Authorization Required</h2>
OK good, that gives me a starting point.

Does your router at home have port 80 forwarded to your TiVo? If so, is it configured for both TCP and UDP traffic?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #17
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

Quote:

Does your router at home have port 80 forwarded to your TiVo? If so, is it configured for both TCP and UDP traffic?
I know you're replying to Sirshagg, but I'm getting the same symptoms on a local connection.

Just ignore me if I'm being a butt-insky.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Sirshagg

Quote:

I have a hardware based VPN between home and the office. It is configured so that EVERYTHING is open between them.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #19
Sirshagg

Realized I didn't really answer your question.

No there is no port forwarding. This is because there does not need to be. I can access every device at my home just like I was there.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:27 PM   #20
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoak
I know you're replying to Sirshagg, but I'm getting the same symptoms on a local connection.

Just ignore me if I'm being a butt-insky.
LOL jmoak, no problem.

I have the same reply for you, check that you don't have firewall settings blocking incoming (or outgoing) TCP or UDP traffic on port 80.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #21
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

Quote:
LOL jmoak, no problem.

I have the same reply for you, check that you don't have firewall settings blocking incoming (or outgoing) TCP or UDP traffic on port 80.
No firewall, connecting through a simple hub.

fwiw, I can open a browser and go to my tivo's ip addy and get:
"Congratulations!
You’ve successfully connected your TiVoŽ box to your home network"

...so I know I can get to my tivo, net-wise anyway.

thanks for the reply!

as an after thought,
Does this app need an open internet connection for some reason? I'm just trying to access my tivo locally....
Old 03-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #22
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Can either of you browse to https://x.x.x.x/nowplaying/index.html (sub your TiVo ip for the x's) and download a file from your web browser?

Does 1 or 2 security notices pop-up when you access the web interface? Have you tried registering the security certificate?
Old 03-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #23
Sirshagg

Trying to do that now. I know the password is my MAK, but can't remember what the username is.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
dcahoe
TiVoPlayList Author

Quote:
Trying to do that now. I know the password is my MAK, but can't remember what the username is.
tivo all lower case
Old 03-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #25
Sirshagg

I can download from the web browser. One security notice does apper and I just click ok on it.

This same securrity notice comes up with tivoplaylist before the shows are displayed, but not when attempting to download them.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
Sirshagg

Interesting...

Now that I have connected using the web browser tivoplaylist will download.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:11 PM   #27
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Interesting...

most likely a DNS/WINS issue then that doing the nowplaying list filled in for the PC
Old 03-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #28
jmoak
Beware of Conky!

Quote:
Interesting...

Me Too!!!

I love this thing!!!

Old 03-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #29
Sirshagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
most likely a DNS/WINS issue then that doing the nowplaying list filled in for the PC
Nope, I'm using IP addresses and the now playing list (or equivalent) appeared in the app just fine. Just downloading did not.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:55 PM   #30
greg_burns
Now in HD

Just wanted to chime in to say I can't download either. I just get a .tivo file that has "<h2>Authorization Required</h2>" in it.

Edit: I just changed my default browser back to IE. And then opened
https://<my tivo ip>/nowplaying/index.html

When prompted by IE, I typed in tivo/MAK in the IE password box (without checking the remember box) and now downloads appear to be working in the TivoPlayList app. Trying to see now what it takes to break it again.

Edit #2: Well I can currently download from one Tivo, but my second only downloads the file with the "Authorization Required" content. I am sure if I view its now playing list via a browser (specifically IE, not Firefox) and input tivo/MAK it too will start working, but I'm not quite sure why this is necessary just yet... Or more specifically why it is not working with Firefox as my default browser perhaps.

Last edited by greg_burns : 03-28-2006 at 07:07 PM.