TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
irregularjoe

Slingbox

Has anyone used a Slingbox with a DTV Tivo?
I'm thinking about getting one.
Anyway to access saved programs from the Tivo unit on it?

Thanks,
Joe
irregularjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by irregularjoe
Has anyone used a Slingbox with a DTV Tivo?
I'm thinking about getting one.
Anyway to access saved programs from the Tivo unit on it?
The SlingBox provides a remote control you use to control the video source, so anything you can do in front of the unit, you can do via the SlingBox remotely; there' just the slight delay because of video compression/transmission/decompression so you have to be a little careful with some things like FF/REW type operations.

I just picked one up yesterday to use with an HR10-250 and my T-Mobile MDA; works fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
SeattleCarl

I've got two slingboxes, one connected to an R10 tivo dvr.

Works great, except a couple of buttons on the tivo remote (in the sling software) don't work, however you can use the drop down menu to get to all functions. Sling indicates there is some negotiation issue with Tivo regarding the skin for the remote, and that those buttons will be fixed when that is resolved.

Keep in mind that with the slingbox, all you are doing is remotely watching/operating the local device (tivo or whatever), so if someone else is sitting in front of it, you are both watching and controlling the same thing. You both have to watch the same thing.

Carl
SeattleCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
irregularjoe

Thanks for the replies.
So if I use it to watch TV on my laptop the person at home has to watch the same thing?
My main concern though is can I use it to watch AND record programs from my DTV Tivo unit to my laptop.
If it's streaming only, that's kind of useless to me.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:17 AM   #5
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
So if I use it to watch TV on my laptop the person at home has to watch the same thing?
My main concern though is can I use it to watch AND record programs from my DTV Tivo unit to my laptop.
It's streaming only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCarl
Keep in mind that with the slingbox, all you are doing is remotely watching/operating the local device (tivo or whatever), so if someone else is sitting in front of it, you are both watching and controlling the same thing. You both have to watch the same thing.

Carl
What a great idea, I could setup a Slingbox and use it to control my DirecTiVo in the closet that I have setup as a Video Media Server that isn't connected to a TV and has no remote control access, which would allow me to control its MRV functions (Multi Room Viewing).

A really great idea!

BTW, do you know what remote control keys are non-functional.

Additional Edit:

After a lot of searching over in the Slingbox forum, I noticed that users of the new version where complaining that the "LIST" button was greyed out. I did notice that at other times someusers had compained that the "CLEAR" button was not functional.

Are there other keys greyed out or non-functional in the current version?

SLINGBOX FYI

SlingPlayer Version: 1.0.5.140
Official Release: 3/8/2006

Firmware update included: Yes
Firmware update version: 1.0.61
Firmware release date: 3/8/2006

Download Size: 26.8MB Upgrade / 70.5MB Full

What's New

Improved Video Quality! - Sling Media continually improves video quality and now the Video Tuning Wizard makes it easier to adjust your SlingPlayer automatically to the best possible video quality.

Better Remote Controls! - Six new customized remote controls for settop receivers from DirecTV, Comcast, ReplayTV, UltimateTV, DISH Network and the brand, new TiVo remote control..

Better Connectivity! - EVDO users and VPN users will notice fewer disconnects with this release.

The 1.0.5 release also includes:

Firmware updates that ready your Slingbox for the upcoming mobile release.

A smooth installation so that your settings from previous releases are preserved.

More complete remote control mappings for popular set-top boxes, including more keyboard shortcuts as well as additional remote control commands

Improved remote control functionality for many devices, including but not limited to CyberHome DVD players, Moxi, SA Explorer 8600, and Toshiba DVRs.

Easier & more straightforward device selection during the setup process.

Updated support documents for this release. Both the User Guide as well as the Windows help file have been updated

If you can't find it in the documentation, try checking out the Sling Community, which is now linked through the Help Menu.

Improved SlingPlayer for non-US locations. Now you can select your NTSC country from the menu during setup, and 4-digit channels are also accepted.

A plethora of under-the-hood enhancements that fix bugs and concerns reported by our community in both the software and firmware.
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94

Last edited by tbeckner : 03-26-2006 at 02:55 AM.
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #7
irregularjoe

That's too bad.
I thought it might be a way to network this overpriced POS that DTV refuses to get up to the times with.
Yeah, I know about the hacks that take weeks to do. Problem is I have a life too.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:45 AM   #8
goony

Quote:
Yeah, I know about the hacks that take weeks to do. Problem is I have a life too.
The long torture of learn & burn hacking are over - S2 DTivo hacks only take about 30-45 minutes these days... check out the Zipper, which adds these features. I just hacked a refurb S2 for my daughter-home-from-college and it only took about 35 minutes. Really.
goony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
Billy Bob Boy
What Me Worry???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
It's streaming only.
If you use software such as screen reorder pro, you can record the streaming video. there are several applications that allow you to record to your drive streaming media. u use the area setting on the program and put a box around the viewing area only so you dont have the controls recorded.
Billy Bob Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #10
SeattleCarl

Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
Correct, assuming you are both watching the output of the same device (tivo). The slingbox has 3 inputs. S-video, composite video, and rf coax with an internal tuner. If you have analog cable or ota, you can feed that directly to the sling tuner which is then independent. If you are using the output of a tivo, cable box, dvr, or whatever, then you are seeing the same output that the local user is seeing.

Quote:
By design it is streaming only. Sling software does not have it's own capture/recording capability. Some people have done video capture/recording using other software. More info at sling community website.

Carl
Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
Fluffybear

if you would like to see a slingbox in action, you can PM here or at SLINGTALK.COM and I will gladly provide you with the ability to access my demo unit.

AT9 5-LNB Dish
DirecTV R15, H20, HR20-700

DirecTV HR10-250
Hughes HDVR2
Sony KDF70XBR950 HDTV
Mitsubishi WD-73831 HDTV
Slingbox & Location Free TV
INTV
Fluffybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
tvn

I'm on my PowerBook (Apple) all day long, whether I am here or overseas. Will Slingbox work for me? Is it MAC-compatible?
tvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
barclay
Dissenting Pebble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvn
I'm on my PowerBook (Apple) all day long, whether I am here or overseas. Will Slingbox work for me? Is it MAC-compatible?
Not yet. From Sling's website:
Quote:
4) Can I install the SlingPlayer on an Apple Mac OS-based device?

Not yet, unfortunately. We just demonstrated a Mac version and expect it to be available in the first half of 2006. It will be fully compatible with the current Slingbox hardware.

barclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:40 AM   #14
SecureTalk

Quote:
I've got two slingboxes, one connected to an R10 tivo dvr.

Works great, except a couple of buttons on the tivo remote (in the sling software) don't work, however you can use the drop down menu to get to all functions. Sling indicates there is some negotiation issue with Tivo regarding the skin for the remote, and that those buttons will be fixed when that is resolved.

Carl
Carl, make sure you have the latest version of the SlingBox software loaded on your PC. There we non-functional remote buttons (even some with the wrong functionality) on the next to the last version of the SlingPlayer.
SecureTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #15
SeattleCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureTalk
Carl, make sure you have the latest version of the SlingBox software loaded on your PC. There we non-functional remote buttons (even some with the wrong functionality) on the next to the last version of the SlingPlayer.
I'm current with 1.0.5.140. The "window", "exit", and "list" buttons are greyed out and not accessible on the graphic remote, however all functions are available from the drop down remote menu.

Carl
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
orome
Tribal Style

When this works with my Treo 650, I'll be dee-lighted.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 PM   #17
SeattleCarl

Yeah, I would absolutely love to have a Treo 650 player. But I highly doubt that we will ever see that happen. Many comments to this effect have been posted on the sling website, and to date, sling has had no comment or response, and they are normally very responsive.

Carl
Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 PM   #18
SecureTalk

Quote:
I'm current with 1.0.5.140. The "window", "exit", and "list" buttons are greyed out and not accessible on the graphic remote, however all functions are available from the drop down remote menu.

Carl
That is the version I have now also. I did have non-functioning buttons and even a few that did not perform the correct function, but it had all been correct with the latest release for the R15 and T-60 and Hughes DVR40 I own.

What DVR are you attempting to control?
Old 03-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #19
SeattleCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureTalk
That is the version I have now also. I did have non-functioning buttons and even a few that did not perform the correct function, but it had all been correct with the latest release for the R15 and T-60 and Hughes DVR40 I own.

What DVR are you attempting to control?
I have two R15's, and the remote/sling on those is perfect.

I have one R10, and that is the one where the peanut remote in the sling lacks the 3 buttons I mentioned.

I have tried a couple of different tivo based setups with the same result, but it really isn't a big deal for me, so I'm okay with it the way things are now.

Carl
Old 03-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #20
SecureTalk

Quote:

I have one R10, and that is the one where the peanut remote in the sling lacks the 3 buttons I mentioned.

I have tried a couple of different tivo based setups with the same result, but it really isn't a big deal for me, so I'm okay with it the way things are now.

Carl

I would report the issue to SlingMedia and keep an eye on their web site for beta copies of their software. I used their last beta copy bugs and all for a few months until the software [the latest release] was released with the bugs fixed.

I noticed they only had one beta out their. I wish they had released updated the beta as bugs were fixed. I am a software developer so I understand the pros and cons of releasing updated beta software [such as keeping track of what release a bug is reported in number]. So I guess they must have a small group of testers that get more frequent updates.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #21
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

I just installed the SlingMedia Mobile player on my Sprint PPC 6600 phone and it worked PERFECT the first try! Nice and clean audio/video from my DSR6000. This was a huge bonus for me. I bought the Slingbox to watch my TiVo on my Lappy when out of town. Now I can watch TV on my phone while waiting at the car wash. How cool is that!

Brian
Old 03-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #22
barnes2000

Quote:
Correct, assuming you are both watching the output of the same device (tivo). The slingbox has 3 inputs. S-video, composite video, and rf coax with an internal tuner. If you have analog cable or ota, you can feed that directly to the sling tuner which is then independent. If you are using the output of a tivo, cable box, dvr, or whatever, then you are seeing the same output that the local user is seeing.
Carl
Even if my DirecTV w/ TiVo is a dual receiver? I thought that if I run the Sling through one tuner that someone else can watch the other tuner, no?

I've always wanted to know how my dual TiVo tuner works. I have two tuners, but I can only watch one at a time? No picture in a picture? No Sling on one and Living Room on the other? Why is this?

Scott
barnes2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:44 PM   #23
milliepuppy

no .. you can receive 2 channels at the same time .. you can only watch one thing at a time.
milliepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
gtadell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow
The SlingBox provides a remote control you use to control the video source, so anything you can do in front of the unit, you can do via the SlingBox remotely; there' just the slight delay because of video compression/transmission/decompression so you have to be a little careful with some things like FF/REW type operations.

I just picked one up yesterday to use with an HR10-250 and my T-Mobile MDA; works fine.

Question regarding using the SB with HR-250.
Do you have to turn down the output resolution to 480 to use this unit with your SB? I can recall having to do this to record something to a DVD recorder using composite connections.
gtadell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:22 PM   #25
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtadell
Question regarding using the SB with HR-250.
Do you have to turn down the output resolution to 480 to use this unit with your SB? I can recall having to do this to record something to a DVD recorder using composite connections.
Yes, you have to switch it down to 480i, so you need to keep the 480i option available via the up-button on the remote so you can use the remote via SlingBox to get a picture, otherwise you'll just have audio.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #26
Cabinwood
Cabin Dweller

I (heart) Slingbox!

I'm out of town for the week and my DMA is switching today so DirecTV is switching me from the Chattanooga locals to the Atlanta locals. When I got back to the hotel this evening, I turned on Slingbox and noticed my R10 was hung up on a blue screen. I hit the guide button and got it and noticed there were only a couple Atlanta stations listed. I went in and re-did guided setup through the Slingbox and now I have all the Atlanta channels, got my season passes (for tonight at least) scheduled and all is well
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
jtoeman
Team Sling Media

Quote:

Carl
Carl,

Do you have three different Slingboxes? It is a bit odd that you'd get different results. Can you confirm that with each Slingbox you went through the same setup steps for AV configuration?

Best,
Jeremy
Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #28
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes2000
Even if my DirecTV w/ TiVo is a dual receiver? I thought that if I run the Sling through one tuner that someone else can watch the other tuner, no?

I've always wanted to know how my dual TiVo tuner works. I have two tuners, but I can only watch one at a time? No picture in a picture? No Sling on one and Living Room on the other? Why is this?
The TiVo only has one video output channel, so no.
Bothe tuners concurrently stream to the HDD, but there is only one video decoder, so only one A/V stream from the HDD can be viewed at once. Since Slingbox and your TV connect to the one decoder (with an active video splitter in the DVR), they will see the same thing.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #29
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
Quote:

Carl
Carl,

Do you have three different Slingboxes? It is a bit odd that you'd get different results. Can you confirm that with each Slingbox you went through the same setup steps for AV configuration?

Best,
Jeremy
The reason for the different results is that the R15's are NOT TiVo, and the R10 is a TiVo and with the last version of the SlingPlayer, SlingMedia (Slingbox) eliminated the List button and couple of other buttons from the TiVo Peanut remote, which now makes using the TiVo remote control somewhat of a pain. And since SlingMedia (Slingbox) changed the base configuration of their remote control software with this last version, so nobody can modify their remote control configuration.

I wish SlingMedia (Slingbox) would either fix the TiVo peanut remote control or give us the capability to modify the remote control configuration. I bought my Slingbox with the thought in mind that I could either correct the problems with the remote control using the JP1 software, or get access to an older version of the SlingPlayer where the TiVo remote control had all of the buttons, but the JP1 remote control configuration software no longer works with the current version and SlingMedia will not allow you access to an older working version of the SlingPlayer.

So, how about SlingMedia? Can you guys allow us access to an older working version of the SlingPlayer where the TiVo remote control was complete, or how about giving us the capability of defining our own remotes like the older versions of the SlingPlayer allowed?

Additional Thought:

The reason I bought into TiVo six years ago, was because it was hackable, and in fact I believe that is one of the reasons that TiVo won out over ReplayTV. I bought the Slingbox for somewhat the same reason over the Sony LocationFree solution, but it appears with the last release SlingMedia is locking down the software. Live and Learn. I'll use my Slingbox and not complain, but I will likely now buy a Sony LocationFree kit from Costco to compare the differences.
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #30
SeattleCarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman
Carl,

Best,
Jeremy
Two slingboxes. One has an R15 on the S-video input, the other one has an R10 on the composite input. I have other equipment on the other inputs (in-house rf video distribution which includes rf modulated security cameras, etc.).

The problem exists with the Tivo peanute remote that Sling has provided in the latest player software. As tbeckner noted, Sling needs to fix this. It has been reported at length, and in depth, on the sling community website.

Carl