TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-13-2006, 12:46 PM   #1381
philwojo

So anyone else have any ideas why I can't run the dos2unix command?

Phil
Samsung DLP (HL-S6187W) HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
philwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #1382
rbautch
User

Confirm that you have the dos2unix binary in /busybox or wherever, then make sure that directory is in your PATH statement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:49 PM   #1383
rescue25
EntilZha Valen

Question I am sorry for this question

I find this forum useful and but I just don't have the time to research all of the threads to find out the answer to my question. Well here we go. Why would I not want the phone line connected as I was under the impression that it was needed to get updates and to confirm service with the TIVO servers. Forgive my newbieness. But I thought I was pretty system savvy with Computers but as I have no experience with Linux I am a little spooked. I have purchased a maxtor 200gig drive to add to my tivo But I felt that I would feel more comfortable to wait until my warranty before I attempted to upgrade my unit. But then again I have a hard drive full of shows that I have recorded and have yet to be able to find the time to dump them to disk. I also have a toshiba PVR that I use to copy to and then edit out the commercials then burn to DVD. Where can I find a full primmer on Unix so I can get over my shyness. I have been building systems since the mid eightys but never had the time to learn other Operating Systems. Having to work in the real world of running my business and not much free time to have fun hacking. Would it be just easier and buy an extra hard drive from one of the vendors due to the lack of time??? As this is my most limited commodity. I love being to able to get into things and reworking them but I have to be realistic and say to myself time is money. My tivo works ok but in the end there is still not enough room on a single 80GIG.
rescue25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #1384
philwojo

rbautch, I looked and it seems that the dos2unix on the TIVO box as part of tivotools is tied in to the "busybox" file some how. I am somewhat new to unix, so I am not sure how to use this.

I did find a Windows version of dos2unix, and tried that last night on my WIn XP machine, ran the dos2unix and then uploaded the new file to the tivo box, but still can't get it to work.

Can anyone provide help on how to run the dos2unix command on the TIVO box that is tied to the busybox file.

thanks,
Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Old 03-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #1385
Luv2DrvFst

rbautch -- some crontab housekeeping

rbautch, I discovered some "read only" versus "read/write" issues that you might want to fix in the crontab file. There are three command lines that require read/write access to properly execute:

- the tar command that creates the LOG_ARCHIVE tarball each Sunday
- the rm command that deletes the LOG_ARCHIVE tarballs every month
- the rm command that deletes the seasonpass backups

The simple way to fix it is to append "rw" at the beginning and "ro" at the end of each line. Or you could change the file location to be in /var (which I'm pretty sure is always mounted rw, right?). But then these files would get wiped if /var gets wiped. I just appended rw and ro.

Another related issue. When backup_run.sh executes, it leaves the system mounted read/write. Not a big deal, but just to be safe, I added the line "mount -o remount,ro / " to the end of the file.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:56 AM   #1386
tortio

Ah! good to know. I symlinked /var/spool/cronlogs to /var/log/cronlogs to work around this very thing. I like your fix better. Didn't even think of that!

Thanks!
2 R10's: not in service
1 HTL-HD
tortio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #1387
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue25
I find this forum useful and but I just don't have the time to research all of the threads to find out the answer to my question. Well here we go. Why would I not want the phone line connected as I was under the impression that it was needed to get updates and to confirm service with the TIVO servers. Forgive my newbieness. But I thought I was pretty system savvy with Computers but as I have no experience with Linux I am a little spooked. I have purchased a maxtor 200gig drive to add to my tivo But I felt that I would feel more comfortable to wait until my warranty before I attempted to upgrade my unit. But then again I have a hard drive full of shows that I have recorded and have yet to be able to find the time to dump them to disk. I also have a toshiba PVR that I use to copy to and then edit out the commercials then burn to DVD. Where can I find a full primmer on Unix so I can get over my shyness. I have been building systems since the mid eightys but never had the time to learn other Operating Systems. Having to work in the real world of running my business and not much free time to have fun hacking. Would it be just easier and buy an extra hard drive from one of the vendors due to the lack of time??? As this is my most limited commodity. I love being to able to get into things and reworking them but I have to be realistic and say to myself time is money. My tivo works ok but in the end there is still not enough room on a single 80GIG.
If you have a DirecTivo, all the guide information comes over the satellite, so there's no reason to have a phone line connected other than to get software updates (there wont be any) or PPV ordering. Google "Linux turorial" to get all the basic skills you need. If you don't have time or are unsure of yourself, you can also buy a pre-hacked drive from PTVupgrade. There's a link in the Zipper instructions.

or

Old 03-14-2006, 12:25 PM   #1388
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwojo
rbautch, I looked and it seems that the dos2unix on the TIVO box as part of tivotools is tied in to the "busybox" file some how. I am somewhat new to unix, so I am not sure how to use this.

I did find a Windows version of dos2unix, and tried that last night on my WIn XP machine, ran the dos2unix and then uploaded the new file to the tivo box, but still can't get it to work.

Can anyone provide help on how to run the dos2unix command on the TIVO box that is tied to the busybox file.

thanks,
Phil
Navigate to busybox and type ./dos2unix If nothing comes up, then maybe it's corrupted. Try FTPing a new copy of tivotools to your tivo. On my PC, I use an editor called Ultraedit, which has a dos-to-unix function built right in.

or

Old 03-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #1389
philwojo

I don't think "busybox" is a directory, it is a file, with all of the other files, like dos2unix and other things, complied as part of it, or at least that is the best I can figure it.

Maybe I will try and find your editor and use that to help me out.

Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Old 03-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #1390
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2DrvFst
rbautch, I discovered some "read only" versus "read/write" issues that you might want to fix in the crontab file. There are three command lines that require read/write access to properly execute:

- the tar command that creates the LOG_ARCHIVE tarball each Sunday
- the rm command that deletes the LOG_ARCHIVE tarballs every month
- the rm command that deletes the seasonpass backups

The simple way to fix it is to append "rw" at the beginning and "ro" at the end of each line. Or you could change the file location to be in /var (which I'm pretty sure is always mounted rw, right?). But then these files would get wiped if /var gets wiped. I just appended rw and ro.

Another related issue. When backup_run.sh executes, it leaves the system mounted read/write. Not a big deal, but just to be safe, I added the line "mount -o remount,ro / " to the end of the file.
Good comments. I'll work these into the next release.

or

Old 03-14-2006, 01:58 PM   #1391
pendragn

Quote:
I don't think "busybox" is a directory, it is a file, with all of the other files, like dos2unix and other things, complied as part of it, or at least that is the best I can figure it.

Maybe I will try and find your editor and use that to help me out.

Phil
It's both. Busybox is a directory on the root of the TiVo as well as a binary inside of that directory. The other commands in that directory are symlinks to the busybox binary. dos2unix is one of these commands. If you run busybox with no parameters it will tell you which functions it can do.

tk

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #1392
philwojo

I've tried just typeing busybox in from the /tivo-bin directory and it tells me can't execute not a binary "or something close ot that".

I have tried removing and recopying the tivotools.tar file over and running the cpio command on it several times now. I get that file from the DD web site, and I have been following the instructions on there.

I thought I had a handle on what I was doing, and you seem to confirm that I do, just that something else appears to be wrong.

I download that file as a xxx.tar.rar and then use winrar to uncompress it. Then I use filezilla to connect to my Tivo box and FTP it over to the /tivo-bin directory. I have even just put the tivotools.tar in the root then used the mv command to put it in /tivo-bin and when I run the cpio it appears to work. I then do an ll in the /tivo-bin directory and see a ton of files all linked to busybox, but I can not execute any of them.

Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge on here, and I appreciate all of the help, any further help would be much appreciated as well.

Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Old 03-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #1393
pendragn

Quote:
I download that file as a xxx.tar.rar and then use winrar to uncompress it. Then I use filezilla to connect to my Tivo box and FTP it over to the /tivo-bin directory. I have even just put the tivotools.tar in the root then used the mv command to put it in /tivo-bin and when I run the cpio it appears to work. I then do an ll in the /tivo-bin directory and see a ton of files all linked to busybox, but I can not execute any of them.

Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge on here, and I appreciate all of the help, any further help would be much appreciated as well.

Phil
I know my busybox binary and links are in /busybox, not /tivo-bin. If the links are hard coded to /busybox/busybox instead of ./busybox that might explain why they don't work.

tk

Old 03-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #1394
philwojo

So should I move everything to /busybox then (Creat that directory).

Or should I do the cpio on tivotools.tar in the root? I am not sure that I follow how to get it in to a busybox directory.

Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #1395
pendragn

Quote:
So should I move everything to /busybox then (Creat that directory).

Or should I do the cpio on tivotools.tar in the root? I am not sure that I follow how to get it in to a busybox directory.

Phil
If you do a ./busybox in /tivo-bin do you get the usage? If so it's probably ok and you could move it to /busybox and try to get it to work. I've not done the cpio route in years, but if you could use that to redo everything in /busybox instead of /tivo-bin that might work too.

tk

Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 PM   #1396
rbautch
User

I should work anywhere you put it. Can't execute binary file usually means that the tool was compiled for the wrong platform, e.g. you have a ppc binary (Series 1 Tivos) instead of mips (Series 2 Tivos). Another possibility is that you failed to use the "binary" mode of your FTP client.

or

Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 PM   #1397
philwojo

I tried the ./busybox in the /tivo-bin dir and it still tells me cannot exec binary file.

I erased the DIR and resent via filezilla, in forced binary mode now instead of auto, and then di the cpio command again

cpio -i -H tar < tivotools.tar

It completes and appears to uncompress all of the files if I do the ll i get a huge list of things here is a partial example:

TIVO: {/tivo-bin} % cpio -i -H tar < tivotools.tar
11908 blocks
TIVO: {/tivo-bin} %
TIVO: {/tivo-bin} % ll
total 11937
drwxr-xr-x 2 0 0 3072 Mar 15 01:59 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 0 0 1024 Mar 11 17:25 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 993 Mar 15 01:59 51killer.tcl
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 5660 Mar 15 01:59 SetTivoConfig
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 [ -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 adjtimex -> busybox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 595412 Mar 15 01:59 arp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 arping -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 awk -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 basename -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 bunzip2 -> busybox
-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 503720 Mar 15 01:59 busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 bzcat -> busybox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 181692 Mar 15 01:59 ccxstream
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 chown -> busybox
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 chroot -> busybox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 107592 Mar 15 01:59 ciphercheck
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 9844 Mar 15 01:59 cksum
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 clear -> busybox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 9944 Mar 15 01:59 comm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 7 Mar 15 01:59 crond -> busybox
-rwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 31404 Mar 15 01:59 csplit

I think it might be what rbautch is talking about. I have a series 1 Tivo but maybe this is for a series 2, so maybe it is not going to work on my platform.

If that is the case where can I get a copy of the dos2unix file to put on my series 1 tivo so I can use it for other hacks that require it, like autospace.tcl

Thanks again guys,
Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 PM   #1398
Justin
tivo geek

Showcases

Interesting problem, that (at least my search) did not find.

History: Three tivo's zippered. (some longer than the others) Unlike most here, my wife likes showcases and yellow stars. Showed up fine on all three tivos for quite some time, but has now stopped on the First tivo I zippered. upon entering the Showcase menu, it states the "this is unavailable at this time"

What I have tried: Reran SC62add, waited overnight, nada. did a Tweakuninstall, reinstall (It downloaded the newest version), waited overnight, nada. (In a effort to tick me off, the other two tivos got a new showcase )

I looked around at the 'other' place and found nothing either. (I consider that forum 'read only', so did not post)

Any ideas? This is not critical, but would help with the 'wife factor'.

Does being low on space (overall show storage), forgetting to delete logs files, to many temps files of some sort, faceplate pointed due south, or some other stupid mistake I made? (based on the fact that this has been running the longest?)

The only other factor that I can think of that is different from a 'Stock zippered drive' is bufferhack. I have that installed on all three, so can't imagine it is a factor.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

DVR80 - 750 Gig, and full of Zipper Fun
DVR80 #2 - 300 Gig, and full of Zipper Fun
4040 - 300 Gig, Zippered
DSR7000 - 300 Gig, Zippered
Cylinder Index of 63 (Grunt-Grunt-Grunt)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:13 PM   #1399
frickn

I have installed the script with no problems. Everything worked great except now I can no longer get tserver to start from tytools. The only thing that is different now network wise is that I have a static IP address on the box rather than dhcp. My other box that has not been patched still connects fine. I have read & read until my eyes hurt and I don't see where someone is experiencing tytools not connecting after applying the script. Also I have uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure that everything was ok.

Thanks

Frickn
frickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #1400
cgee
TiVo Fumbler

TWP Screen module broken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pOiNTBLaNK127

I only have one problem after using both "The Zipper" and the Enhancement Script. When I'm using TivoWebPlus and try to go to the Screen menu I get the following error:

INTERNAL SERVER ERROR
--cut here--
action_screen '/' ''
invalid command name "SendKeyAndWait"
while executing
"SendKeyAndWait dumpState"
(procedure "::action_screen" line 14)
invoked from within
"::action_$action $chan $part $env"
("eval" body line 1)
invoked from within
"eval {::action_$action $chan $part $env}"
--cut here--

I am having the same problem after installation of the script. I did not find any reference to a solution through a forum search. Is this a TWP1.2.2 problem? I previously used TWP1.0 with my HDTivo running 3.1.1f, and the Screen function worked fine.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if this is related to the Hackman error on TWP startup. From the log:

hackman
--hackman Version 4.0.2--
-No problem running mips find -- mips version of find selected.
-/dev/router_client: No such file or directory running mips sendkey -- ppc SendKey selected.
POSIX EROFS {read-only file system} error renaming "./modules/hackman.cfg.draft" to "./modules/hackman.cfg": read-only file system
while executing
"file rename $config\.draft $config"
(file "./modules/hackman.itcl" line 2858)
invoked from within
"source $module "

- since SendKey is also being referenced here. Any thoughts would be welcome.

BTW, thanks for the great script!

Last edited by cgee : 03-22-2006 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add new material
cgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #1401
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Interesting problem, that (at least my search) did not find.

History: Three tivo's zippered. (some longer than the others) Unlike most here, my wife likes showcases and yellow stars. Showed up fine on all three tivos for quite some time, but has now stopped on the First tivo I zippered. upon entering the Showcase menu, it states the "this is unavailable at this time"

What I have tried: Reran SC62add, waited overnight, nada. did a Tweakuninstall, reinstall (It downloaded the newest version), waited overnight, nada. (In a effort to tick me off, the other two tivos got a new showcase )

I looked around at the 'other' place and found nothing either. (I consider that forum 'read only', so did not post)

Any ideas? This is not critical, but would help with the 'wife factor'.

Does being low on space (overall show storage), forgetting to delete logs files, to many temps files of some sort, faceplate pointed due south, or some other stupid mistake I made? (based on the fact that this has been running the longest?)

The only other factor that I can think of that is different from a 'Stock zippered drive' is bufferhack. I have that installed on all three, so can't imagine it is a factor.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Justin
I have no idea on this one, sorry.

or

Old 03-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #1402
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickn
I have installed the script with no problems. Everything worked great except now I can no longer get tserver to start from tytools. The only thing that is different now network wise is that I have a static IP address on the box rather than dhcp. My other box that has not been patched still connects fine. I have read & read until my eyes hurt and I don't see where someone is experiencing tytools not connecting after applying the script. Also I have uninstalled and reinstalled just to be sure that everything was ok.

Thanks

Frickn
tytool expects to find tserver in /var/hack (unless you changed it to look for it somewhere else). Is that where it is?

or

Old 03-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #1403
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgee
I am having the same problem after installation of the script. I did not find any reference to a solution through a forum search. Is this a TWP1.2.2 problem? I previously used TWP1.0 with my HDTivo running 3.1.1f, and the Screen function worked fine.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if this is related to the Hackman error on TWP startup. From the log:

hackman
--hackman Version 4.0.2--
-No problem running mips find -- mips version of find selected.
-/dev/router_client: No such file or directory running mips sendkey -- ppc SendKey selected.
POSIX EROFS {read-only file system} error renaming "./modules/hackman.cfg.draft" to "./modules/hackman.cfg": read-only file system
while executing
"file rename $config\.draft $config"
(file "./modules/hackman.itcl" line 2858)
invoked from within
"source $module "

- since SendKey is also being referenced here. Any thoughts would be welcome.

BTW, thanks for the great script!
This is a hackman issue. What software are you running? Check for the existence of the file called /dev/router_client. Looks like this is the issue, but only seen it manifested on the HR10-250.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 03-22-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #1404
cgee
TiVo Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
This is a hackman issue. What software are you running? Check for the existence of the file called /dev/router_client. Looks like this is the issue, but only seen it manifested on the HR10-250.

I have a HR10-250 running 3.1.5f. I will check out the things you mentioned asap. Perhaps I should just remove Hackman - I really don't need it.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 PM   #1405
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickn

Thanks

Frickn
Check the prompt in TyTool. By default it looks for $ whereas the zipper makes the prompt #. If TyTool doesn't get the prompt it expects, it fails. Also, have you tried firing tserver up manually via telnet and then trying to attach with TyTool?

tk

Old 03-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #1406
frickn

Thanks for the response guys. I think Pendragon has the solution. I am going to fire off tserver manually tonight and see if I get a response out of it. I haven't moved tserver from it's orginal location, which was /var/hack/ and verified that the file was still there via ftp. Also verified that my tools were set to look for the server in that location.

Thanks

Frickn
frickn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #1407
qubit

I went to run this with
sh tweak.sh
and it ran for a bit and prompted to check my telnet? Then it said my telnet was inserting CF's where it shouldn't so the script wouldn't run correctly. I then exited and connected with securecrt instead of windows telent and reran the script. Now it tries to get the latest from a website before running which I don't think it did at first. Does it have to do this? I have it crossover'd up to my laptop cause I don't have it in the location where it will be when I set the valid network settings with the router IP and all from the Zipper script.
I tried running the uninstall but it still seems like it wants/needs net access?

Edit: Better yet. Basically during zipper i set the network to the network it WILL be on. But I want to run tweak.sh now on the network I'm on now that would mean the tivo would need a different IP and different router address. Is there a manual process I can take to edit the network settings myself?

Last edited by qubit : 03-23-2006 at 01:50 PM.
qubit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:12 PM   #1408
Carlton Bale

Very well done script! Saved me quite a bit of time modifying my HR10-250; wish it were available for a Series 1 DTivo as well!

I do have a couple of suggestions for the next version:

Code:
Do you want to run the "express" version (for advanced users)? [y/n]:
I'm not sure what this means because it seems contradictory; express sounds like it is for basic users, so they should answer Y? So express mode is not for advanced users? I'm guess here, but maybe it should state "Do you want to run the "express" version (advanced users select no)? [y/n]:"

Code:
Do you want to install netperf network performance tool? [y/n] :y
Netperf will measure MRV speed between this tivo and another "target" tivo.
These lines should be switched around, so you know what Netperf is before you answer Y/N. I answered Y and then realized that I couldn't use it.

Thanks again!

: devoted to documentation of everything TiVo
Carlton Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #1409
bengalfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlton Bale
Code:
Do you want to run the "express" version (for advanced users)? [y/n]:
I'm not sure what this means because it seems contradictory; express sounds like it is for basic users, so they should answer Y? So express mode is not for advanced users? I'm guess here, but maybe it should state "Do you want to run the "express" version (advanced users select no)? [y/n]:"

Express as in quick or nonverbose. The Express version has less prompting than the other route. So, if you have run the script several times in the past, you should answer 'Y', otherwise 'N'
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #1410
SohoTrader

This is good stuff people. I ran tweak.sh and it worked like a charm on one my tivo sa boxes. So, I made boooo where I deleted some tweak generated directory and I try to run tweak.sh and it doesn't allow you to run it until tweak-uninstall.sh file. I looked for the uninstall file the whole day and I can't find. Can someone give me a hand here...

SoHoTrader....
SohoTrader is offline   Reply With Quote