TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
alaan

Cheapest 80hr in stores?

I want to buy an 80hr Tivo for my parents and get it "lifetimed" prior to the cutoff. That means I dont have time for one coming in the mail. Where are the best deals in stores these days? Can I use the $150 rebate if I get lifetime and not a 1 year contract? Thanks.
alaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
tazzftw

I believe the rebate applies to lifetime. As for a deal, I'm not sure. Weaknees doesn't have the best prices, but they'll email you the TSN right after purchase. Outside of that, check your usual stores like Best Buy and CompUSA.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #3
raitchison
this space for rent

I got one last wek at CompUSA for $29 after rebates ($150 TiVo, $20, CompUSA) & some instant savings, not sure if that deal is still going on or in all areas though.
raitchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:26 AM   #4
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

You found an 80hr for $29?

Let's see what it is the end of this week.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
StewartWong

Quote:
Originally Posted by raitchison
I got one last wek at CompUSA for $29 after rebates ($150 TiVo, $20, CompUSA) & some instant savings, not sure if that deal is still going on or in all areas though.
I tried to get in on this deal, but all Compusa stores by me were sold out.

Deal has expired as the instant and Compusa rebates were only good through 3/11/06.

I wound up buying at Circuit City this weekend to make sure I had the Series 2 box and took advantage of a $15 coupon promotion they send to email newsletter subscribers. Clearly not as good as the Compusa deal, but got me a little closer.

The lifetime sub by 3/15 is the more important thing.
StewartWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartWong
The lifetime sub by 3/15 is the more important thing.
Actually it is not. You must PURCHASE the unit by 3/15. Once you PURCHASE whetehr it be online or offline, you have until 3/30 to activate lifetime.

OP (alaan), I purchased a 40hr unit from Compusa.com FAR (free after rebate). They currently have 40hr for $20 after rebates. As long as you place your order through Compusa website by 3/15 you will be able to activate lifetime at a later date (end of this month).
Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Sorry OP, I forgot to add that 80hr can be ordered online from Bestbuy, Buy, Circuit City or Amazon for $219.99 - $150 rebate = $70
Old 03-13-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB
Actually it is not. You must PURCHASE the unit by 3/15. Once you PURCHASE whetehr it be online or offline, you have until 3/30 to activate lifetime.
That is not what TiVoOpsMgr has been saying - the last safe day to *activate the unit* is 3/15. Lifetime will no longer be offered at activation at some point after 3/15 - could be that day, could be Friday, but to be sure you need to activate the lifetime sub by Wednesday, 3/15.

Trying to get lifetime after that could be a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
michael new

looks like an 80 hour might be 49 at Frys, shippings free
180hr Tivo HD MSD
180hrTivo HD
michael new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #10
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazone
That is not what TiVoOpsMgr has been saying - the last safe day to *activate the unit* is 3/15. Lifetime will no longer be offered at activation at some point after 3/15 - could be that day, could be Friday, but to be sure you need to activate the lifetime sub by Wednesday, 3/15.

Trying to get lifetime after that could be a problem.
To an extent you are correct. You will not be able to activate online @ tivo.com .
Believe it or not I actually read the entire 29 pages of the New Tivo Price Plans - No More Lifetime + Responses to Summary and also called tivo.
The GREAT news is that the activation deadline has been extended to 4/15, as per:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoOpsMgr
Hi folks,

We'd like to clarify a few points regarding Product Lifetime going away:

(These are updated in the sticky post as well.)

Here are the details about Product Lifetime going away: Once it goes away sometime shortly after Wednesday 3/15, you will not be able to choose Product Lifetime when you activate or re-activate service via www.tivo.com/activate/ or Manage My Account.

This means that if you don't have Product Lifetime already, you won't be able to get it. New customers cannot purchase it. Existing customers cannot purchase it. Existing customers cannot convert their existing monthly contracts into Product Lifetime. It is no longer available as an option.

Are there any exceptions? Yes. We'd like to clarify a few points regarding Product Lifetime going away:
  • To clarify for everyone -- if you purchased your non-bundled TiVo DVR prior to 3/16/06, you'll have until 4/15/06 to call and activate lifetime service on the box. This is provided there is no conflict with any other terms of your purchase (such as the requirement to activate service by 3/31 for the current 80 hour offer on tivo.com). Activating Product Lifetime Service will not be available online, you must call TiVo Customer Support in order to activate Product Lifetime Service. Boxes purchased on or after 3/16/06 will not be eligible to activate Product Lifetime service.
  • Due to the terms of our relationship with Humax, however, new Humax DVD Recorder products not previously activated for service (that is, they have no activation history) will continue to be eligible for Product Lifetime Service activation. They are not affected by the 3/15/06 purchase cutoff or the 4/15/06 Product Lifetime activation cutoff. Again, you must call TiVo Customer Support in order to activate Product Lifetime Service. Humax DVD Recorder products which have already been activated for service have until 4/15/06 to upgrade to Product Lifetime Service. After 4/15/06, Humax DVD Recorder products with an activation history will no longer have Product Lifetime Service as an activation option.
If you have a special situation not covered in thea bove, please call TiVo Customer Support (1-877-367-8486), explain your situation, and they will do their best to help you.

Best regards,
Stephen, Pony & the TiVo Team

Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
TomJHansen

Dell has the 80 hour (TCD540080 - the nightlight one) for 219.99 and you can use the $20 off $150 coupon online for them - I bought one last week - so it was $199.99 and then has the $150.00 rebate. Plus free shipping. FYI it shipped with version 7.x so you could use wireless right out of the box for guided setup.

You should be able to use coupon code QGM7T0C1C2TVVD until April 1st.
TomJHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

New news about when Product Lifetime will be disappearing from tivo.com: It will be available through 8pm Pacific on Thursday 3/16.

After that, per the exception for older units, you'll need to call customer support prior to 4/15.

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #13
ufo4sale

TiVoOps, let me get this straight, If i have an old series II 240 unit that is still active I can upgrade to life time by April 15th.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #14
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale
TiVoOps, let me get this straight, If i have an old series II 240 unit that is still active I can upgrade to life time by April 15th.
My understand ing is: No, you must upgrade your subscription service by 3/15. I think TiVoOps is referring to "unactivated" units...
Old 03-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #15
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB
My understand ing is: No, you must upgrade your subscription service by 3/15. I think TiVoOps is referring to "unactivated" units...
No, the update is: all old units that are not subject to certain special restrictions that I forgot because it ain't me.

If you are getting a new unit, buy it before 3/16 to get the Lifetime option until 4/15.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote