TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #1351
klaroby

Lost FTP and TWP access

My var file seems to have been wiped. I can still Telnet to the tivo but cannot access via FTP or TWP. Any idea if this can be fixed without pulling the hard drive?

This is an HR10-250 that was hacked using the hacking guide from the yahoo group before the zipper was available. I have subsequently used several versions of the enhancement script on this unit. Never had the FTP access go down before.

I also have a standard definition TiVo that had the var file wiped but I was still able to FTP to it, so I just reinstalled the enhancement script and all is well with that unit.

Last edited by klaroby : 03-08-2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: More info provided
klaroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #1352
Gunnyman
Peekols

start ftp via bash with the command tivoftpd
as for twp you will have to re-install it if it is no longer in /var.
a var wipe wouldn't kill tivoftpd by the way, unless you put that file in /var in the 1st place.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #1353
klaroby

var wipe

Thanks Gunnyman. I will try that. I do not remember where I put tivoftpd. I followed the HDTiVo hacking guide. Could be that it was in var. See my previous post. I added some updated info about the same time that you replied.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #1354
klaroby

Thanks, Gunnyman. That worked. FTP is now working. I will now be able to reinstall the enhancement script. I am an electrical engineer (hardware) but am a novice at linux. Just experienced enough with the TiVo hacking to be a little dangerous.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:19 PM   #1355
Gunnyman
Peekols

installing the new enhance script is a great idea.
Also look at your rc.sysinit.author file and make sure the lines starting twp and tivoftpd are still there.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #1356
kschauwe

How do you turn off "Tivo Colors" Bash Prompt? I can't get tserver to work from Tytools. It's looking for a "proper" prompt string and I think the colors are thowing it off.

Last edited by kschauwe : 03-09-2006 at 02:55 PM.
kschauwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #1357
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschauwe
How do you turn off "Tivo Colors" Bash Prompt? I can't get tserver to work from Tytools. It's looking for a "proper" prompt string and I think the colors are thowing it off.
Colors aren't throwing it off. The prompt changed. I know I used to have TyTool key off of $. After you Zipper your box, the prompt is changed to #. Verify that you have TyTool looking for the right one. I'm using TyTool with three hacked DTiVos all using colored prompts and all working perfectly.

tk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #1358
kschauwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn
Colors aren't throwing it off. The prompt changed. I know I used to have TyTool key off of $. After you Zipper your box, the prompt is changed to #. Verify that you have TyTool looking for the right one. I'm using TyTool with three hacked DTiVos all using colored prompts and all working perfectly.

tk
That did it!
Thanks!
Quote:
We got 'Tivo1-TiVo# ' which is the prompt!

Old 03-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #1359
captainjrl

Where can I go to change the settings for when fakecall runs? Is it in the rc.sysint.author file?

Thanks
captainjrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #1360
Luv2DrvFst

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjrl
Where can I go to change the settings for when fakecall runs? Is it in the rc.sysint.author file?

Thanks
It's in the crontab file named 'root'.

/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #1361
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Run the uninstall script, and then run tweak.sh again. All new hacks will be downloaded automatically.
Did that and it didn't automatically do a download. Uninstalled Zipper, built new Zipper disc from updated files, ran it and then tweak.sh and all was good. The loaned disc was fairly old. All hacks installed correctly and I'm one happy guy. I also found how to re-enable Hackman so I can get into even deeper trouble (though I will always tiptoe carefully with it!). Unit has been happy and stable. Thanks for the help and more thanks for making customisation so easy.
6stringbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #1362
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2DrvFst
It's in the crontab file named 'root'.

/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root
Also, if you just type "root" from anywhere, an alias will automatically open the file for editing.

or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #1363
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringbass
Did that and it didn't automatically do a download. Uninstalled Zipper, built new Zipper disc from updated files, ran it and then tweak.sh and all was good. The loaned disc was fairly old. All hacks installed correctly and I'm one happy guy. I also found how to re-enable Hackman so I can get into even deeper trouble (though I will always tiptoe carefully with it!). Unit has been happy and stable. Thanks for the help and more thanks for making customisation so easy.
You're welcome. Glad you got it working!

or

Old 03-11-2006, 07:48 AM   #1364
captainjrl

Quote:
Also, if you just type "root" from anywhere, an alias will automatically open the file for editing.
Tried that, but I got a "command not found message"
captainjrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 AM   #1365
philwojo

Ok I am just starting to hack my tivo, finally got a network in the house. I have some basic understanding of UNIX and of what is going on.

I have already got TWP working on my tivo and can telnet and get to the box with no problems.

I tried to put on this enhancement, and I understand what to do, but I can not get dos2unix to work.

I have put on the tivotools and I think it is working, but when I put in the dos2unix command it just tells me the following:

"Cannot execute binary file"

For tivotools do I need to do something to start "Busybox" I am a little confused with that. If not why am I not able to run the dos2unix command. I do see that file in the /tivo-bin directory on my Tivo.

Thanks for any help and sorry for such a newbie question here.

PHil
Samsung DLP (HL-S6187W) HDTV
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
philwojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #1366
rbautch
User

Cannot execute binary file usually means that the file was compiled for some platform other than MIPS Linux. In other words, you probably have binaries for a Series 1 tivo, not a Series 2. Where did you get your tivotools from? Do other utilities work?

or

Old 03-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #1367
Entcee

Sorry if this has already been answered. I did try searching and could not find the answer.

Is there any way to change the bash prompt descriptor without uninstalling and re-installing the script?
Entcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #1368
rbautch
User

Yes. You can edit the file called .profile in the root directory. You won't be able to see it with an ls, so just type vi /.profile from bash to get to it.

or

Old 03-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #1369
Entcee

Thanks a lot!
Entcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #1370
philwojo

I have a series 1 Tivo and I got the tivotools from the web site I found on here, here is the link I specifically used:

http://www.************.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=37602

The above is from another wetb site with the initials DD, don't know if we can mention it here or not.

I have tivowebplus working, and some other things now, I just got YAC to work today as well.

But, also this afternoon, other things stopped working, like the ls command, that were previously working.

I was unable to do anything with this previous to this problem though, and I don't think that this latest minor problem is related.

I am not sure what to do next, but I am totally open for suggestions and I am willing to uninstall and reinstall what ever I need to. LIke I said I am new to this, but not computers. I have limited Unix background though, but I do tend to catch on quick.

Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR
Old 03-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #1371
philwojo

I was able to get my ls command working again, I think I added something in my rc.sysinit.author file, so I changed it back and it appears to be functioning normal again. Also, from following Steve's guide I have the ll command working also.

I still can not run the dos2unix command though.

One more question while I am at it, and since I am still so new to all this hacking stuff. Now that I have TWP up and working how do I access it outside of my house? What IP address would I put in the web browser. I know the default for the tivo box won't work, as it appears almost everyone has something similar. Again forgive my simple questions as I come up to speed on this.

Phil
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR

Last edited by philwojo : 03-11-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #1372
Yog-Sothoth
MRV Junkie

Quote:
Now that I have TWP up and working how do I access it outside of my house? What IP address would I put in the web browser.
Do you use a router? If so, go to its "Status" page to get your external IP, and type that into your browser to access it from the internet. You'll need to have port 80 (or whatever port you have specified in tivowebplus.cfg) forwarded to the internal IP address of your TiVo.

You could also get your IP address here.

To prevent the need for remembering your IP address, get a dynamic DNS name here.
Yog-Sothoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:17 AM   #1373
philwojo

Ok that is what I thought, and I think I have my routers IP address, but I think it is using port 8080.

I have not looked at the tivowebplus.cfg file so I will have to do that.

I am at work now so I can't check that out now.

Any help on that would be appreciated also, and any suggestions on why I still can't do the dos2unix command?

I think what I need to do is as follows, let me know if I am on the right track or not. I have a netgear wireless router connected to my DSL modem.

I would have to go in to the netgear router setup and allow port forwarding for HTTP on port XX where XX is defined in the tivowebplus.cfg file.

From my work computer I would then (or any computer) be able to HTTP to the IP of my tivo box. This is the part where I get a little lost, do I some how go to the IP of my router first, then to the box?

Phil W.
Onkyo TX-SR606 AVR

Last edited by philwojo : 03-12-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #1374
Willy

I installed the enhancement script without any problems. Thanks...however now I cannot FTP into the Tivo. I can connect and see files but everytime I try to transfer a file over, I get an error:

550 Error opening file; Read-only file system.

Also, when I try to make backups via TWP, I get the error:

Cannot open /tivowebplus/backups/settings

It looks like the file system is changed to read only, but how did that happen? I haven't done anything to the system other than to run the enhancement script after zippering. I am trying to add files to /enhancements/varhacks.

I know it must be something basic but I need some help setting the file system back to read-write. Do we want the whole disk to be read-write or only certain directories? Thanks.

Last edited by Willy : 03-12-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #1375
jzakrzew

rbautch --- I just hacked my Tivo Recorder using PTVupgrades Instacake 6.2 and PVNet CDs main reason for doing this was because I am changing to VOIP and did not want to have to deal with getting the modem to work. Now that I have done this I would also like to get the most out of my Tivo box. Being new to this is there anything you can recommend?
jzakrzew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 AM   #1376
merlincc
Bonafide Tivophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy
I installed the enhancement script without any problems. Thanks...however now I cannot FTP into the Tivo. I can connect and see files but everytime I try to transfer a file over, I get an error:

550 Error opening file; Read-only file system.

Also, when I try to make backups via TWP, I get the error:

Cannot open /tivowebplus/backups/settings

It looks like the file system is changed to read only, but how did that happen? I haven't done anything to the system other than to run the enhancement script after zippering. I am trying to add files to /enhancements/varhacks.

I know it must be something basic but I need some help setting the file system back to read-write. Do we want the whole disk to be read-write or only certain directories? Thanks.
mount -o remount,rw /
when done do mount -o remount,ro /

That should do it. I believe there is also a short cut set up with the enhancements script. ro and rw I believe.
Lifetime TiVo Subscription
merlincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:32 AM   #1377
jadavison

Updating Bash Prompt

Thanks for the awesome tweak script. I ran it on XP after following the instructions for removing the line breaks without problem.

I have one question, is the script that was used to change the bash prompt available outside of the tweak package? I inadvertently included "Tivo" in my descriptor, thus my prompt is "Fam-Tivo-Tivo" instead of just "Fam-Tivo".

I was hoping to correct this minor mistake without uninstalling and rerunning the script. If this info is stored in an init or cfg file that I can edit manually, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Jason
jadavison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #1378
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadavison
I have one question, is the script that was used to change the bash prompt available outside of the tweak package? I inadvertently included "Tivo" in my descriptor, thus my prompt is "Fam-Tivo-Tivo" instead of just "Fam-Tivo".

I was hoping to correct this minor mistake without uninstalling and rerunning the script. If this info is stored in an init or cfg file that I can edit manually, I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all the hard work!

Jason
That is set in /.profile. You can open that up in vi (or joe) and tweak it.

tk

pendragn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #1379
jadavison

RE: Bash Prompt

Thanks for the quick reply, found the line and made the change.

Jason
jadavison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #1380
clutchclay
Assimilated by TiVo

Quote:
Yes. You can edit the file called .profile in the root directory. You won't be able to see it with an ls, so just type vi /.profile from bash to get to it.
You can see the file with the command: ls -a