TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #361
msu-dawg

On my Linksys router it's under the Status tab, Local-Network subtab, there is a button that says DHCP Clients Table. This will report the devices on the network along with the IP address they have assigned to them.

You should also be able to see IP address of the Tivo box on its Phone&Network setup screen. Mine shows up in the upper right hand corner, just above the MAC address of the wireless adapter.
msu-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:42 PM   #362
otwelmr

well, after all this, it works now. I don't know why, but I'm glad it does.
otwelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 06:26 AM   #363
dieter67
dieter67

Lightbulb Series2 Sony and Tivo will work without land phone

Hi, I deleted everything on my old Sony Series 2, and was mad that Tivo didn't have a solution for the mobile/hi tech users Tivo gathers. I used my Vonage to connect to both, took a few times, if you like ctc me for details. It works
dieter67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #364
imluna

I need help setting up my network. I have had my toshiba tivo for about a year and have moved several times with it. I know my adapter works because it has worked in the past (it's a 122). My router works with my adapter but my tivo still says that it cannot recognize my adapter. I went to a friends to borrow their phone line but only used it for the guided setup. Not the second data update, is that a huge deal? Also my friend lives one zipcode over (I know!) I really need directions on how to set this up as if I'm 5 years old because I kinda forgot how to do this already.
imluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #365
dwhalin

Network Adapter

For anyone who's having a hard time finding a usb adapter that works, I found a source at Amazon. I ordered a D-Link DWL-122 from R&D Marketing on Tuesday & it arrived cross-country on Thursday.

I installed it this morning and it was recognized immediately by my Series 2 Tivo. Seems to work fine.

I am unable to enter a link, since I just joined the group.
dwhalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #366
pnkagh

Is the s/w reload w/ standard "out of the box" Tivo or enhanced? I just don't see the option to download. I'm only asking because I went thru every wireless adapter that Best Buy and Office Max carry today - none work. Called support they suggested the one at the Tivo site. Well, it's double the cost - and they are out of stock with no estimate when they will restock.

At both Office Max and Best Buy we compared the Tivo listed adapters with their inventory - they don't and won't carry any of them.

Any help is good help...tx
pnkagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:46 AM   #367
OphieM

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelrod
I have been having issues trying to get my tivo to recognize my wireless network (using a DI-624 router and DWL-122 network adapter) and I found many similar problems and questions here but not many solutions so I wanted to post what worked for me.

I had similar issues to others here in that tivo could see the SSID but claimed not to find the network. Also frustrating is that I could see other networks (live in a large condo building) and even connect to some of them, but not my own (yes I could use someone else's technically, but then what did I buy this equipment for and I want the added functionality).

In short, all I did was lower the transfer rate on the router ("TX" in the Advanced>Performance tab) to 2 Mbps. This allowed Tivo to recognize the network. Made a connection and then raised the transfer to 11Mbps. And now it works great. This may not solve all problems, but it might help a few people.
After 5 days of struggling, I saw this post, and just to let everyone know, this solution worked for me. I am using a DI-624 router and a DWL-122 wireless adapter, and the TiVo simply wouldn't find the network until I changed the transfer rate. Thanks!
OphieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:51 AM   #368
ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhalin
For anyone who's having a hard time finding a usb adapter that works, I found a source at Amazon. I ordered a D-Link DWL-122 from R&D Marketing on Tuesday & it arrived cross-country on Thursday.

I installed it this morning and it was recognized immediately by my Series 2 Tivo. Seems to work fine.

I am unable to enter a link, since I just joined the group.
the DWL-122 is a 802.11b standard. not 802.11g

I'd rather get a 'g' standard wireless adapter.
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #369
abelampman

I'm new here and I'm frustrated. I've had one tivo box connected to my wireless network- netgear router via a MA111 netgear adapter for over a year w/no problems. A month ago I added a 2nd Tivo, this one a Humax recorder, and connected it using the same adapter. I've switched back and forth a few times. Today I connected a new netgear WG111-(yes, compat)- so I wouldn't have to switch- and so I could do the peer to peer thing- but the new one wouldn't connect. After spending 2 hours with a nice guy at Tivo support, the new one finally works on the older box, but now the older adapter connected to the new machine gets the "gateway not found" message. So now my router is to blame, says the nice guy. I've never had an issue and use many diffferent wireless devices. Any help would be so appreciated!
abelampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:40 AM   #370
Purplehaze

Try This

On The Old Adapter Tivo, Pull The Power Out Of That Tivo And The Adapter. Then Plug The Tivo Back In, Then The Adapter, Tivo Central Comes Up Go To Network Setup, Pick Network, Enter Pass If Any, Say Auto From Dhcp, Say No, Then Adapter Is Set Up. Or If You Get Error Post Back What Is Was. If Good, Make Test Connection, If Good, Make Connection To Tivo Service.
Purplehaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:53 PM   #371
ottomatic

Anybody place an order for the Tivo branded wireless adapter in the last two or three days of Feburary? Just curious when I should expect my order to ship... The gal on the phone said 3/14-ish.
ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #372
StewartWong

I'm new to the Tivo world.

Should I be avoiding 802.11b adapters because of the recent software upgrade?

I found the Linksys 802.11b USB adapter and was going to buy one.. but does this unit no longer work?

Thanks in advance.
StewartWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #373
ducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartWong
I'm new to the Tivo world.

Should I be avoiding 802.11b adapters because of the recent software upgrade?

I found the Linksys 802.11b USB adapter and was going to buy one.. but does this unit no longer work?

Thanks in advance.
You have to be VERY Careful in the model/version of the Linksys adapters. I went with a Netgear, but had some issues, eventually returned it, and I'm awaiting a Tivo (g) adapter.
:/
ducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:27 AM   #374
sfallon

I had a D-Link usb wireless adapter, so I tried it -- no luck... it wasn't supported. I just got my TiVo adapter and it was simple to set up. The only headache was entering the hex wep key! Then I could immediately transfer pictures and music from the PC.
I have one problem though. The "Now Playing List" says there is nothing to transfer. Also, my TiVo settings say the media access key is temporarily unavailable. I'm guessing their related. This is my 1st TiVo and I'm anxious to get it all set up. Any ideas?
sfallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #375
e1allen

Access Tivo from the PC without TivoToGo

The Tivo can access and update as needed, and using Tivo ToGo can transfer(painstakingly slow) from the Tivo using the Linksys WRT54GX Router and the Microsoft USB Adapter MN-510.

I'd like to be able to access the DVR direct hoping to be able to transfer video faster.

I looked the the Status tab and the Tivo is there at .102, but does not appear anywhere on the PC locations such as My Computer ot Network Computers.

I've turned off the Norton Security(I disabled Windows firewall), but still no Tivo.

I have looked for it from other computers on the newtwork, but get the same results.

What am I/did I do wrong?

TIA!
e1allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #376
khein99

Wg111t

Any chance of Tivo making a change to their software to support the NetGear WG111T any time soon?
khein99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #377
workingstiff

Just wanted to tell you that in reading your post I found that the internet connectors I have been ueing for these last few years are no longer compatable with 7.2. I am hoping this is the reason for my random rebooting. Outdated connectors!
Thanks for the tip to review list, even though they have been working all this time.

Hi Ho off to the store I go.

Thanks
workingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #378
aogtrs

anyone have any luck with a Linksys WRT54GC 802.11g router (compact version of the WRT54G) with the NetGear WG111NA adapter? I've seen some guys rave about the WG111NA --my TiVo recognized it immediately, set it up, said it was working great. So I tested the connection and it fails to find the network. Everything seems to be solid--the router knows its there, but I can't connect...

thanks.
aogtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #379
Teh Awful
Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aogtrs
anyone have any luck with a Linksys WRT54GC 802.11g router (compact version of the WRT54G) with the NetGear WG111NA adapter? I've seen some guys rave about the WG111NA --my TiVo recognized it immediately, set it up, said it was working great. So I tested the connection and it fails to find the network. Everything seems to be solid--the router knows its there, but I can't connect...

thanks.

I'm curious if you got an answer on this. I bought the WG111NA (s/n starting with 130). My Tivo starts with 540...so according the compatibility list it should work. After I go through entering my SSID and WEP, it still can't find my network. I'm not sure which software version my Tivo has (mine was bought in 12/05 but never used). From what I have seen, it looks like I may need to borrow a friends landline so that I can get the initial set-up done...and ensure that I have 7.2.2. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Update: It took an update for my firmware (with some additional tweeking afterwards) to get everything in order. I'm up and working now.

Last edited by Teh Awful : 06-03-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Teh Awful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 AM   #380
BJ411

help with linksys network

Assuming your dvr is hooked up correctly, this linksys page should be full proof (and fool proof) at getting your network up and running, secure, and your dvr should be able to see it, assuming you checked the list of compatible adapters and that yours matches that..

use this address for linksys setup:

http://linksysfix.com/check/filter/i...tm?CallerID=Sp

before you do this you do need to be sure your software is updated.. to check the version you have you can go into tivo central/messages and settings/settings/account & system info/system info

on this page you will find a variety of info including the most recent software version

once configured correctly, guided setup should walk you through easily to find your own network and complete the setup

after this you can view your network and its signal strength by opening messages and settings/settings/phone & network

in there you can test your network connection and also connect to tivo to download any updates avail (plus a troubleshooting link for networks)

good luck

Last edited by BJ411 : 06-06-2006 at 02:44 AM.
BJ411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #381
jposnan

Exclamation Where's my network

I recently moved my old series 2 80 hr unit to another room to make space for my new DT unit in my den. When I went to re-hook up the old unit in the bedroom with the same wireless adapter and cables, all of a sudden it can't hold a network connection for more than a few minutes when it even finds the server. Ideas?? Help!!!!
jposnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #382
TMoney72107

It seems to be several months since this particular question was asked, so in case things might have changed since then, I'll ask...

I have a Phillips DSR 708, and am looking to get rid of my land based phone line. Am I able to use the Tivo Wireless Network Adapter along with my internet connection to accomplish this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
TMoney72107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 AM   #383
gandia9

Wireless Nightmare!!!

I have no where to turn. It feels like the walls are closing in. I need to get out more . This is what I have and what I need to do. I have the Toshiba SD-H400 with the Tivo basic service alreadyh built in (first 3 numbers are 264 of the service number). I have to software version 7.3. I am trying to connect to my wireless network to dump the phone line. I have the Hawking HWU54G. It is a "g" adapter and I am worried that is my problem. The USB is working and I have tried just about everything, It just won't recognize the adapter. Do I need a different adapter? Any advice out there? Thanks.
gandia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 AM   #384
azitnay

The only Hawking adapter I see on:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...chor=undefined

is the WU250, so yeah, you most likely need a new adapter. Check the list on the above URL. The TiVo adapter at the top is a bit expensive, but works well.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #385
TMoney72107

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMoney72107
It seems to be several months since this particular question was asked, so in case things might have changed since then, I'll ask...

I have a Phillips DSR 708, and am looking to get rid of my land based phone line. Am I able to use the Tivo Wireless Network Adapter along with my internet connection to accomplish this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Just on a further note, it is a DirecTivo which may make a difference???
TMoney72107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #386
Retiredva

OK, I've tried spending the last hour or so reading all the posts and still didn't find a recent answer to my question. I'm not a techie, so maybe it's in front of me and I'm not seeing it. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and an in-home network for my 3 computers. They all work fine. A couple of months ago, I bought the TiVo wireless adapter and it didn't work. Believe Tivo said the reason was it only supports WEP security, but they're working on upgrading to WPA (for several years??!!). Can't find the Tivo suggested Linksys WUSB 12 adapter, only the WUSB 54 (I believe). I'm fairly simple minded if not simple. Can you guys walk me through an easy answer that will guarantee that I keep the WPA2 security I now have on my network and still allow both (soon to be 3) Tivos to work wirelessly?
Retiredva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #387
azitnay

The current TiVo software does not support WPA, so in order to use it you'd have to couple a wired adapter with a wireless bridge. However, the following support document on tivo.com mentions that WPA will be available with TiVo software 8.1 (which to my knowledge has yet to be released):

http://customersupport.tivo.com/Laun...d-796e2052076b

So, you might not have too long to wait. More discussion on WPA can be found here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=322886

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #388
jlb
NCC-1701-D

OVer the main forum, TiVoPony noted that they are taking Beta testers for the Fall Service Update. So hopefully it will be soon that this occurs.....
Old 11-13-2006, 09:52 PM   #389
Clyde W Franklin

Can someone point out where the IR eye is on the series 2 180 hour reciever?
Clyde W Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #390
alansplace
------ Alan ------

Cool IR eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde W Franklin
Can someone point out where the IR eye is on the series 2 180 hour reciever?
the dark area right between the front panel leds.
--
Alan
Toshiba RD-XS32S (DVR/DVD burner)
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote