Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-19-2006, 06:50 PM   #3991
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestwaters
I just had to re-zipper one of my HR10-250's due to something I screwed up. However, now that I have redone it, when I bring up the TivoWeb via Internet Exploder, I don't have "hackman" on my list anymore. However, when I telnet or ftp into the modules directory, it is there..

I am using the version of TWP that came with Zipper. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong!?

--- Goobz!
remove hackman.ini and hackman cfg and restart twp.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:40 PM   #3992
llurkin

Gunnyman.. Am I incorrect in assessing the zipper as a batch file as would have been used in DOS?

It appears that there is a sequence of commands that implement various hacks that have been developed over the past 24 months. While it is a great process for the second, third,etc Tivo that is modified, the absence of knowing exactly what it is doing retards the learning process.

In some schools, calculators are not introduced until the basics of Math are understood by the students.

What I'm leading to is to determine if anyone has segmented and isolated each step of the zipper so that there may be more understanding for those of us that have an insatiable curiosity.

At this point my frustration with my specific Zipper results leads to a desire to understand what it is really doing.

Would this be the function of your Wiki??
Old 02-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #3993
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the wiki was created to give us a break from having to answer the same questions over and over.
as for a step by step of what the zipper does you need to look at two things
1) My original DIY hacking 6.2 guide found at http://www.thewallens.net/tivo/Tivo_unguide.html
2) Rbautch's thread entitled "enhance your tivo with this script"
The zipper is in simplest terms the automation of my guide and the installation of Russ' script.
It's meant for novices and veterans alike. Novices wanting to learn should of course do everything by hand and there are plenty of resources available for that at DDB.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #3994
RxMan

OK. I have taken a few steps backwards now.
I decided to re-run the enhancements script because I had things running that I did not need and stuff I wanted running that was not.
I HAD bash and did a sh uninstall_tweak.sh which appeared to uninstall things.
I then ran sh tweak.sh that would not run without connecting to net which I cannot do from my tivo. It asked about removing tivoapp as well.
So...I pulled the drive and completely re-installed zipper for the 4th time. Everything appeared to go fine. Tivo booted than rebooted as expected. I connected the serial cable and cannot get a bash prompt. Basically stuck now. My HD-Tivo does boot up and run, but I have no access to it.

Any ideas???
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #3995
danny7481
Tivo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
you don't HAVE to, you can connect with a crossover cable between the tivo and your PC.
Just set up the tivo and the PC with static IP's in the same subnet.
what exactly is a crossover cable?
danny7481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #3996
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxMan
OK. I have taken a few steps backwards now.
I decided to re-run the enhancements script because I had things running that I did not need and stuff I wanted running that was not.
I HAD bash and did a sh uninstall_tweak.sh which appeared to uninstall things.
I then ran sh tweak.sh that would not run without connecting to net which I cannot do from my tivo. It asked about removing tivoapp as well.
So...I pulled the drive and completely re-installed zipper for the 4th time. Everything appeared to go fine. Tivo booted than rebooted as expected. I connected the serial cable and cannot get a bash prompt. Basically stuck now. My HD-Tivo does boot up and run, but I have no access to it.

Any ideas???
1. Check your serial cable. 2. Try to telnet to your tivo using a wired adapter. 3. Pull the drive and make sure the author file is on it, and has the proper command to enable serial bash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 10:10 PM   #3997
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny7481
what exactly is a crossover cable?

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/expla...-crossover.asp

http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm
Old 02-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #3998
llurkin

Thanks Gunnyman.. Those guides are exactly what was sought.

Like number 5, I seek more input..
Old 02-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #3999
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Question Uninstall??

Maybe I missed it - but is there a way to uninstall the zipper? I had a drive that worked, I ran the zipper on it and when I returned it to the Tivo, it will not boot. It could be a coincidence that the drive failed - or some bone-headed move on my part. Either way, is there a way to do this?
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:51 AM   #4000
Finnstang
King of the North

Restore the image you made before messing around with your drive.
You are a genius, Finn! - Tracy
Finnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:54 AM   #4001
danny7481
Tivo Addict

i plan on using the original drive in my tivo's, do i still need to buy instantcake cd.
also, do i have to buy 2? i got a samsung s4040r and a phillips dsr708.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #4002
Finnstang
King of the North

Quote:
i plan on using the original drive in my tivo's, do i still need to buy instantcake cd.
also, do i have to buy 2? i got a samsung s4040r and a phillips dsr708.
If your existing DTiVo is running 6.2, just make a backup of that to use as your image. All you need to buy, is the LBA48 boot cd ($5). You can use the backed up image for both DTiVos you want to Zipper.
You are a genius, Finn! - Tracy
Finnstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #4003
danny7481
Tivo Addict

i bought the LBA48 boot cd, but it only gave me 1 file, where do i get the vmlinux_.gz?
also the 000001 file is that already on my d'tivo? those are the only 2 files im missing.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:54 AM   #4004
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Per the directions - did you burn the file to a cd? That is where you will find the files.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #4005
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
i bought the LBA48 boot cd, but it only gave me 1 file, where do i get the vmlinux_.gz?
also the 000001 file is that already on my d'tivo? those are the only 2 files im missing.
From the Zipper instructions:
Code:
Copy the hacked kernel from the PTV Boot CD. It is located in /s2_kernels/3.1.5/VMLINUX_.GZ. A good
explanation of how kernels relate to Tivo software is here.

A software image, if you want the script to install the image for you. Regardless of what image you use, it
must be named 000001 which is what it's named on the Instantcake CD.

HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #4006
danny7481
Tivo Addict

the file that i got from the boot cd i bought? no i havent yet
Old 02-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #4007
kimsan
underling

Quote:
The zipper is in simplest terms the automation of my guide and the installation of Russ' script.
It's meant for novices and veterans alike. Novices wanting to learn should of course do everything by hand and there are plenty of resources available for that at DDB.
Gunny,

May I lend a voice defending your position?

You and Russ have accomplished your goal. I would not have bothered (and hadn't in the past) were it not for the simplicity and automation provided by "The Zipper".

What I've learned and accomplished beyond that is because *I wanted to and did the research*.

You provide a simple key to the kingdom. A key that stays on the TCF side of the line.

There's a wealth of riches on the DDB side of the line, but you wisely choose to simply open the door.

Thank you.

kim
kimsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #4008
SteelersFan
"On Welfare"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimsan
Gunny,

May I lend a voice defending your position?

You and Russ have accomplished your goal. I would not have bothered (and hadn't in the past) were it not for the simplicity and automation provided by "The Zipper".

What I've learned and accomplished beyond that is because *I wanted to and did the research*.

You provide a simple key to the kingdom. A key that stays on the TCF side of the line.

There's a wealth of riches on the DDB side of the line, but you wisely choose to simply open the door.

Thank you.
Well said. I bet this describes the situation of a lot of us here.
Gunny & Russ - Thanks again! You guys are simply the best! And, may I say, Congratulations on 4000 and counting.
HR21-700, HR21-100
SteelersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #4009
danny7481
Tivo Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersFan
From the Zipper instructions:
Code:
Copy the hacked kernel from the PTV Boot CD. It is located in /s2_kernels/3.1.5/VMLINUX_.GZ. A good
explanation of how kernels relate to Tivo software is here.

A software image, if you want the script to install the image for you. Regardless of what image you use, it
must be named 000001 which is what it's named on the Instantcake CD.

i see that i dont need the 000001 file, since i dont need a script installed.
copy the hacked kernel from the PTV boot cd, what exactly is a kernel?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:44 PM   #4010
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

if you read the zipper instruction page, there is an explanation for all of this.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:03 PM   #4011
danny7481
Tivo Addict

Quote:
if you read the zipper instruction page, there is an explanation for all of this.
ive read it, but i will read it again, 10 times if i have too, just to make sure i understand everything, thank you for the help
Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #4012
CopyCat

Quote:

I can only report another successful Philips 7000 zippered at my house, great application and great support.

Thanks guys

PS: Gunnyman << why didn't you ping me when you were over this way for the holidays ? Cosmic Jack's Hotdogs is right down the street and they do serve cold brew

2 Philips 7000 zippered 300GB
1 HR10-250 zippered 500GB

Last edited by CopyCat : 02-20-2006 at 05:04 PM.
CopyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:08 PM   #4013
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I woulda coulda shoulda man.
There IS a Tivo meet in Charleston in May brewing though check the meets forum for the details.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #4014
Markman07

Is there anything I can check or anything I can do to prevent the random reboot when doing something in TWP. It isn't just one module. For instance today I made a few minor changes to my Daily-Express config using the editor right within TWP. As soon as I clicked Save. It rebooted the TIVO. It has happened a few times on different modules throughout. With this one this has happened twice now in the last three days.

Other Reboots --
- Rebooted when I made changes to my Channels Prefs FAvorities. list. Clicked Save. Boom
- Rebooted when I was editing Season Passes.
- a few others I can remember (over last 10 days )

So I would say of the 90% of the times it reboots the Tivo it is when I am clicking Save or Submit in TWP.

As far as I know the TIVO has never rebooted by itself when I wasn't using TWP (besides the scheduled CRON job)

Inventory to Follow....

1 HR10-250 (Zippered - Thanks Gunny)
2 Directivo Series 2 (Zippered - Hey Gunny...Thanks)
1 HR20 - Like it but locks up too much)
Score Tivo 3 - Other HD DVR 1
Markman07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #4015
Doctor_K
TiVoholic

USB200M V2 how to make it work.

I didn't find this answer here after searching this thread, so I'm going to share what I found to be the answer with help from rbautch.

You must access the TiVo with a serial connection or use another "working" usb adapter.

The USB200MV2 must be added to the file in the
/etc/hotplug/usb.map
Jamie's backported drivers must be installed first. (You must have answered yes to adding the USB2.0 drivers in the Zipper enhancemant script)

Find the section for the ax8817x driver and edit the file to add the product line for the USB200MV2
device ax8817x
product 13b1 0018 Linksys USB200MV2
RCA DVR80 - 6.2 & HMO,MRV Enabled
RCA DVR40 - 6.2 & Zippered
Directv R10 - Stock, but FREE.
So say we all.
Doctor_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #4016
MartyBoy00

I would love to say "Last Question" but I doubt it will be. My network is up and running great... and I am just in awe of you guys... (I am learning some Linux so I can pick up some of this for myself).... I have a couple of questions, but 1 I "can't talk about here"... hehe... the other... Now Playing list goes blank quite a bit... it comes back... but is there something I can do to make it stop going away? Everything else is over the top awesome.. I have to admit, I wanted this functionality 3 years ago and had pretty much given up on it... So Kudos sqaured to both of you... Earlier, I read a post saying that you should "let people learn"... whatever... you have given me a great gift and shown me the possibilities.. and that inspired me to learn more... I agree with one of the responses that I would not have if it had been overly complicated... so thanks for the gift of wanting to learn!!! You should be teachers... that are paid well..
MartyBoy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #4017
ttodd1
Proud Computer Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBoy00
Now Playing list goes blank quite a bit... it comes back... but is there something I can do to make it stop going away?
The second section should help with your question:

http://www.thewallens.net/Zipperwiki...roubleshooting
Old 02-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #4018
TechniKal

Do Zippered Tivos auto-update? I noticed today that I have the 'Hackman' option on Tivowebplus that I don't remember seeing there before. I didn't add it. Does Zipper check for updates and automatically pull them down?
TechniKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #4019
BigBearf

This is my first post. I have been looking at the board and I think that I am ready to try the zipper on my SD freeby that I just got. I have an old pc that I can use for the linux part however I have gone to Macs in the past 2-3 years. I need to know if I can burn and telnet using a mac. I noticed that the disk needs to be burned using Joliet format and I am unfamiliar with that. Please let me know any thoughts
Thanks,
BigBearf
BigBearf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:19 AM   #4020
brota

Question Smaller Drive for in dsr704

I am trying to use the zipper with the 6.2 image I purchased. I have a dsr704
I keep getting the message that there is not enough space I have tried a 30 and 40 gig drive(not the original drive).
I need one tivo with low space as this will just be a mrv receiver for my other tivos.
Any ideas would be helpful

Thank You
Brian
brota is offline   Reply With Quote