TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #1081
kjmcdonald

Any News from Tivo at CES?

Any word from Tivo about the SA HD Tivo at CES?

Any word from Tivo about *anything* at CES?

-Kyle
kjmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:25 AM   #1082
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmcdonald
Any word from Tivo about the SA HD Tivo at CES?

Any word from Tivo about *anything* at CES?

-Kyle
Apparently you haven't been reading the forums here for the past few days!

Here's one of a few dozen threads about it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=280411
Old 01-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #1083
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
It looks like we have one set of cables (two audio and one video) going from one Tivo output to the TV, and another set with two audio and an S-Video going to the other TV input.

Thanks for your help!
i'm wondering if your using component cables, that are meant for hd, going into the tv from the tivo. if so, that could be the problem.

i would go with s-video for both outputs from the tivo to the tv.

other than that, make sure you have the tv set for sd, in other words, if your tv is set for hd, than the contrast and brightness would be way too high for sd and you'll end up with a crappy picture.

i hope you understand what i'm trying to say, i'm terrible at explaining things.
joetoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #1084
kjmcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18
Apparently you haven't been reading the forums here for the past few days!

Here's one of a few dozen threads about it:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=280411
Thanks!

Nope. I came here to look it up and I've read this thread many times beofre so I came directly to it figuring this would be where the info was. Must be too soon to update the initial post. I'm sure they'll get to it.

-Kyle
kjmcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:54 AM   #1085
feldon23
MythBuster

• I have updated the FAQ to include a "stub" about the Series 3 TiVo, which I intend to write a companion FAQ for.
  • All of the "What is HDTV?" stuff has been moved into its own post (right after the DirecTV post).
  • Mentioned and pictured the Ka/Ku dish
  • More info about the MPEG-4 channels
  • Deleted Comcast section until there is more info (I'm assuming it's not just a branded version of the Series 3?), etc.

And to think I thought I'd be able to say "my work is done here" after the NDS-designed DirecTV HD DVR came out.

Last edited by feldon23 : 01-27-2006 at 12:52 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #1086
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

feldon23,

Your contributions to this forum are much appreciated. Your connection diagrams from a few years ago have traveled many thousands of miles and guided many installations.

Once again, thanks very much for your generous sharing of your knowledge and valuable time.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:00 PM   #1087
feldon23
MythBuster

One of the most important things about the new KaKu dish is that OTA signals cannot be diplexed through the satellite feeds. I've been advising people not to inject OTA into the satellite lines for a long time. Anyone who followed that advice and ran a separate line for Over-the-Air signals is breathing a sigh of relief right now.

Last edited by feldon23 : 01-27-2006 at 05:21 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #1088
ronpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23
One of the most important things about the new KaKu dish is that OTA signals cannot be diplexed through the satellite feeds. I've been advising people not to inject OTA into the satellite lines for a long time. Anyone who followed that advice and ran a separate line for Over-the-Air signals is breathing a sigh of relief right now.
That KaKu dish is not the norm install nowadays is it? For a customer upgrading to HD in one of the markets without D* local HD feeds and with a phase two, they normally would get a phase III correct? Thx. D* is coming wednesday to "install" my new hr10-250 and I am hanging a channelmaster 4228 with a diplexer for OTA locals.
ronpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #1089
feldon23
MythBuster

They're going to be putting new (and eventually all) HD channels over the KaKu dish. Try to insist on it.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 AM   #1090
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Sorry if this has already been asked, but this is a pretty long thread.

If one was to get the new AT9 dish but was still using 2 HD Tivos and an SD Tivo (via a Zinwell 4x8 multi-switch) would everything still work using that same multi-switch? And will that same 4x8 multi-switch work when an MPEG-4 receiver is added at some point? OTA is already a separate run and is not an issue.
Mark Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 11:37 AM   #1091
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lopez
Sorry if this has already been asked, but this is a pretty long thread.

If one was to get the new AT9 dish but was still using 2 HD Tivos and an SD Tivo (via a Zinwell 4x8 multi-switch) would everything still work using that same multi-switch? And will that same 4x8 multi-switch work when an MPEG-4 receiver is added at some point? OTA is already a separate run and is not an issue.
someone just asked that question in another forum and the answer they got was that your gear will operate fine and you'll be ready for the mpeg-4 as well...someone even said that the new dish gets better reception (signal strength)...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #1092
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
someone just asked that question in another forum and the answer they got was that your gear will operate fine and you'll be ready for the mpeg-4 as well...someone even said that the new dish gets better reception (signal strength)...
Great. Now one more question. If one was to get the new dish, where would they get the initial aiming info from if they didn't have a new receiver? I would assume it would have different settings than the Phase III dish.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:07 PM   #1093
feldon23
MythBuster

The aiming info provided by DirecTV receivers is never as accurate as the aiming info available from other sources. For Phase III and before, the best aiming info is at RCA.com.

If you have 30 minutes to kill, watch the installation video that DirecTV installers need to watch to install the AT9 dish. It's about 10 times as hard to install as the Phase III dish was. Installing the AT9 dish requires a portable level indicator. It really doesn't bode well to have a MUCH more complicated dish at the same time as we keep hearing reports that all the good installers are leaving the business because of shrinking profit margins and bad practices by the satellite companies.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #1094
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
If you have 30 minutes to kill, watch the installation video that DirecTV installers need to watch to install the AT9 dish. It's about 10 times as hard to install as the Phase III dish was.
I have watched the videos and IMO I think it's actually easier (provided you have a meter) than the phase III. The new dish has the fine adjustment screws which IMO are a lot easier to use then the 'hope it doesn't move when you tighten the bolts' of previous dishes. My satellite Internet (Ka) dish has them and it made alignment a snap.

But in any case, that still leaves finding the intial settings when you don't have a newer receiver.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #1095
A J Ricaud

Quote:
And will that same 4x8 multi-switch work when an MPEG-4 receiver is added at some point?
I don't think you can receive MPEG-4 programming with a 4X8 multiswitch. You will need a multiswitch designed for that purpose. The new will receiver would receive MPEG-2 programming though, from descriptions of the forthcoming receivers.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #1096
feldon23
MythBuster

It's not the MPEG-4. It's the frequencies. Before the ultradish, DirecTV used about 1.5GHz worth of signal. Now it's closer to 2.5GHz.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #1097
JBarrie

Series 2 TiVo poor quality video& sound for HD Tvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto
i'm wondering if your using component cables, that are meant for hd, going into the tv from the tivo. if so, that could be the problem.

i would go with s-video for both outputs from the tivo to the tv.

other than that, make sure you have the tv set for sd, in other words, if your tv is set for hd, than the contrast and brightness would be way too high for sd and you'll end up with a crappy picture.

i hope you understand what i'm trying to say, i'm terrible at explaining things.
RangersRBack: I have a little experience with the problem you described originally -- poor quality HDTV rendition of TiVo.

What I observed was that std definition programming through my cable box looked bearable. Reducing the sharpness level on the plasma TV helped a lot. BUT, the same program from the same channel through the TiVo was a dismal gritty grainy quality. I use S-video cable from the TiVo to the TV, and the coax came from the wall to the TiVo. I have already observed that the S-video makes a significant improvement over coax, or video+stereo RCA connections. However, replaying a std definition recording form the TiVo was a depressing experience.

I recently dedicated my Motorola STB to the TiVo, using the IR control feature of TiVo. (My Cable Card in the TV gives me the best quality picture of all for HD, direct from the coax.) I use an S-video cable from the Motorola STB as input to the TiVo. That's working brilliantly. The std definition picture quality improved immediately.

Something you may want to consider. My TiVo140 now records the HD channels for the major networks. THAT quality is excellent -- but of course, it's still not full HD, and you lose all the 5.1 sound to become stereo only. I had expected a little improvement. What I got was a significant improvement! It makes my TiVo watchable, again.

Another wrinkle for you, is that my TV enforces copy protection on digital material. Also, my Sony HD DVR is fanatical about copy protection. PatMedia's cable head-end chooses to apply copy protection on its "plus" channel programming (they waive this for their own low-capacity Motorola HD PVR's of course). As a result, my TiVo has now become a very acceptable solution for time-shifting of such channels as ESPN-HD, THT-HD, INHD, HDMovies, etc. For me, that's a -major- step forward.

A Question for This Thread: concerning the very low sound-level problem...
Background... I use stereo audio cable for the sound from the Motorola STB to the Series 2 TiVo, and from the TiVo to the plasma TV. From the TV, I have a fiber-optic link to the AV receiver.
I noticed the discussion earlier in this thread about sound loss. Yes, that's exactly what I've got. A program coming from the cable that needs 40-45 units on the amplifier requires that I set the amplifier in the 65-70 range.
I noticed an earlier explanation about the Dolby 5.1 conversion losing the center channel sound. That seems reasonable to me, and would seem to be occurring in my STB.
The question is... Is there a way for the TiVo to pick up and put out a full strength stereo sound signal? (Perhaps by S-video plus coax coming from the STB?) The quality of the sound is still good, but I'm occasionally forgetful when I change sources, and then I'm nervous about cracking the foundation of my house.
Any suggestions?
Old 02-06-2006, 07:24 PM   #1098
feldon23
MythBuster

What does this question have to do with the topic at hand?

You aren't watching DirecTV (the only TiVo product available that handles HD) and you're barely watching High Def since you mention all kinds of methods of downrezzing and watching HD material through SD pathways.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #1099
JBarrie

Quote:
What does this question have to do with the topic at hand?

You aren't watching DirecTV (the only TiVo product available that handles HD) and you're barely watching High Def since you mention all kinds of methods of downrezzing and watching HD material through SD pathways.
You, yourself, are "barely watching" the thread you claim to know a little about. See the continuing exchange and trace the quotes. You'll find this discussion involves...
1/9/06 joetoronto
1/9/06 RangersRBack
1/10/06 joetoronto
Since forums are effective when people who have useful insight help to accelerate the experience of others, you might be better advised to either be careful, or keep your destructive opinions to yourself. You serve this forum with little benefit, despite the volume of contributions you've submitted in the last several years, if you assist by intimidation. Thank you for your help in your last contribution.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #1100
feldon23
MythBuster

If you have a question about a TiVo that records High Definition programming, you're welcome and encouraged to post in this forum.

If you have a question about using a TiVo with a box from your cable company, check out the appropriate TiVo forum. I'm not telling you anything any of the moderators and administrators of this forum won't tell you.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #1101
jaspers95

Arrow HR10-250 poor HD picture quality

I have an HR10-250 DVR and a 42" Samsung Plasma. I'm noticing that the picture on some HD channels is coming in grainy or pixilated. ESPN 72 & 73 usually come in perfect, but on the local channels(80, 82,86, 88) I notice the poor picture, and it's really bad with darker images.

I'm using the HDMI connection and I've tried switching the resolution between 720p and 1080i. I tried upgrading the hdmi cables, but that didn't help. I've also tried the component connection and that didn't help. Directv also sent me a replacement HR10-250, but I had the same problem. I'm not sure what to try next.

Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be my TV? The connection from TV to receiver? or the HR10-250 receiver? Would a software upgrade for the HR10-250 help??? Please help?

Thanks!
jaspers95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #1102
feldon23
MythBuster

What city/market are you receiving locals in? Which callsigns are they? (KTRK is ABC-13 in Houston)
Old 02-08-2006, 11:54 PM   #1103
jaspers95

I'm in New York Market: 80 CBSE, 82 NBCE, 86 ABCE, 88 FOXE.
Signal strength is great on all 3 satellites.
jaspers95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #1104
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
I don't think you can receive MPEG-4 programming with a 4X8 multiswitch. You will need a multiswitch designed for that purpose. The new will receiver would receive MPEG-2 programming though, from descriptions of the forthcoming receivers.
Ok, so where does one find one of these new MPEG-4 compatible multi-switches. I looked around and did not see any that specifically say they are for the AT9 dish. Or don't they expect anyone to use more than the 4 outputs on the dish?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #1105
A J Ricaud

Quote:
Ok, so where does one find one of these new MPEG-4 compatible multi-switches. I looked around and did not see any that specifically say they are for the AT9 dish. Or don't they expect anyone to use more than the 4 outputs on the dish?
Take a look here:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...ches&PROD=WB68
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #1106
feldon23
MythBuster

Beat me to it!

All current 4xwhatever multiswitches cutoff frequencies 750Hz and below for diplexing broadcast (OTA) TV. 250Hz~750Hz is now meaningful satellite signal and so must be passed through. Also there is this Flexport stuff which I still need to read about.

It's going to get hard to know where to draw the line on what info is provided here? If I create a FAQ for the H20 DirecTV non-TiVo HD DVR, I know it will get deleted/closed by forum management and they would probably frown on me posting a link to it.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #1107
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud
I did look at that one, but didn't understand how it's supposed to connect to the AT9 dish. In the dish install video, it shows only 4 outpus from the dish (and 2 of the LNBs are 'jumpered' over to the built in multi-switch). So, how are you supposed to use this one? Use those 4 outputs and connect the 2 'jumpered' LNBs to it?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #1108
maharg18

Take the 4 outputs from the built-in multiswitch and run them to the WB68 switch. The 2 jumpered connections go directly into the built-in multiswitch as normal.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:44 PM   #1109
feldon23
MythBuster

The 4 wires out of the AT9 dish simply have more MHz of signal on each wire. 250MHz -> 2150MHz instead of the old 750MHz -> 1450MHz.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:50 PM   #1110
Mark Lopez
Just click ignore

So the other 2 inputs of the 6x8 just remain unused?