TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #331
gardibolt

I'll have to try that. My DWL-122, which is on the approved list, works fine as long as I have no security on, but when I use WEP then it can't find a DHCP server.
gardibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:15 AM   #332
JetPilot
Dissed Mac user

Angry

Just got a second TiVo for xmas. Can't find a suitable USB adapter in the stores. I printed the list, and went to Fry's, Best Buy. Circuit City and MicroCenter and I could only find ONE [an SMC 2862W-G] on the list for sale. It did not work - not recognized, even thought reported as "Tested and Certified by TiVo." Couldn't find a ver# on it or the box.

None of the stores had older 802.11b units and they make up more than half the list. Most of the dozens that I looked at are later models [802.11g] or brands like AirLink, US Robotics, Hawking that are not represented at all. I bought 3 of these and took them home and tried them on my original 240 running 7.2.1 - none were recognized.

TIVO, YOU NEED TO TEST AND CERTIFY THE AVAILABLE UNITS!

I'll hate it but I may have to order the adapter from Tivo for $50 [more than the cost of the TiVo] and wait for it to arrive.. Why does it have to be so hard? Why can't Tivo qualify more current USB adapters? I paid $100 for HMO only to see it offered free, and now this. And I'm a Mac user with no TTG support. I'm really pissed.
USB Netgear MA101 v.B and TiVo adapters

Last edited by JetPilot : 12-27-2005 at 04:36 PM.
JetPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 08:45 PM   #333
lmiksch

I had the same problem when I started looking for a wireless adapter. Out of desperation I took all of the NetGear stock off the shelf at CompUSA and found 2 "802.11G" units that support Tivo burried in the back.

None of the stores seem to seperate the adapters that work with Tivo from those that won't - so don't be afraid to dig.
lmiksch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:20 PM   #334
SteveHoltam

Yeah whats up with Tivo not supporting any of the wireless units on the stores shelf today? If they are just forcing people to buy the the Tivo branded unit that would SUCK. Shame on them..... I have been to 6 major stores and not a single unit on the list from any vendor. It can't be rocket science to create a driver that would allow the current version of these adapters to function. Get on it Tivo!

Steve
SteveHoltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 PM   #335
bmbags

I have to say that I am pretty peeved to hear of these difficulties. I have just started looking at the certified adapters as I have no phone or wired ethernet near the TiVo location and reading up on this does not make me too happy. My TiVo experience has definitely started out on the wrong foot.
bmbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #336
SteveHoltam

Slightly good news. I visited another Best Buy, and they did have the D-Link "G" adapter on the shelf. It even has a little Tivo symbol on it. Still, all that driving around was a major pain. For others, start at Best Buy, and then I would suggest Craigs List and Ebay.
SteveHoltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #337
msu-dawg

Guess I just got lucky

I've read that people seem to have a lot of problems getting wireless adapters to work on Tivo. And I must say that I too went through the fruitless hunt for a compatible adapter at all of the local stores, to no availe.

I finally bought a Netgear WG111NA on Ebay. I plugged it into my Series2 and worked like a charm. The unit recognized the adapter, got a new "message" that network adapter was found and asked if I wanted to setup network. It saw my network (after I re-enabled SSID broadcast), I put in my WEP key and worked great.

I have since bought a 2nd tivo and am waiting on the 2nd WG111NA that I bought on ebay!
msu-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #338
Big Foot

I have successfully connected my new TiVo to my wireless network, however, it still only updates once a day. I programmed a show to record on-line with 2 hours to go, but the TiVo did not get the request in time. I tried calling Customer Support but gave up when I found out I would be on hold for 30 minutes. Can anyone help me?
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:13 PM   #339
erkman43

tivo series2 to my linksys router?

hey everyone,
i just got the tivo series2 and i'm really impressed.
i'm trying to hook it up to my linksys wireless-G.
it says to connect the tivo's usb port to my router's usb port. but mine doesn't have one.
is there some way to bypass this so i can get my music/pictures on there?
what else is the router connection good for?

thanks so much!!!
erkman43
erkman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #340
Big Foot

How to get TiVo to update more often?

I have successfully connected my new TiVo to my wireless network, however, it still only updates once a day. I programmed a show to record on-line with 2 hours to go, but the TiVo did not get the request in time. I tried calling Customer Support but gave up when I found out I would be on hold for 30 minutes. Can anyone help me?
Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #341
bjmpac

Arrow depressed here

I bought a Humax40 TiVo dvd recorder/player last week at Best Buy. No phone line in the room where the TV is, but my house is wired for wireless thru Comcast. BB sold me $125 of stuff I didn't need and never mentioned the wireless adapter.

The past 3 days I have spent about 20 hours a day dealing with trying to find a wireless adapter that would work. I have been on the phone with TiVo twice and Humax once. ( oh yea I also had to buy another shelving unit to sit the cable box and Tivo on, so that was a several search online and in stores)

I started yesterday with the approved list of adapters in my hand. Humax told me that the one TiVo sells is not compatible with their box! I either went in person or called 5 stores. None had either the right adapter or the version numbers were not accessible. Today I looked at wireless USB adapters at different computer sites online. Still not seeing any version numbers.

Again more hours tonight reading these forums and also all the help pages on TiVo's site.

After reading all the problems with the adapters and then hearing about 4 day downloads and how confusing the entire set-up process is, I think I am going to return the TiVo and just get the DVR service from the cable company.

I really wanted TiVo but am apparently too dumb or perhaps I value my days off too much to spend anymore of them working on this endless problem. Thankfully I haven't paid for my year of service yet. The unit is still in the box, which I have opened only to measure it for the shelves!

Is there anyone I could pay to set this thing up? I am so depressed
bjmpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:31 PM   #342
msu-dawg

I didn't have a phone line in the room where I put my 2nd unit so I ran the supplied phone line, which I believe is 25 feet, to another room where I did have a jack. I did the activation online and had the unit setup in a matter of less than an hour. The box, like my first unit, came with software version 5.XXX. I knew I would have to upgrade to 7.whatever it is to use the wireless G adapter I had coming. There is a place on Tivo website where you can sign up with your service number to have the latest software distributed to your machine.

Once I received my adapter (Netgear WG111NA) that I purchased on ebay I plugged in and it was recognized immediately.

So far I've used two of these Netgear wireless adapters, one on a 40hour Tivo branded box and the other on a 300hour Humax branded box. They setup easily. I noticed after installing the 2nd one that the network connection shown on the status screen of the Tivo units tends to fluctuate between 100% down to almost nothing, but I haven't had any issues with getting updates or with transfering shows between DVR's. The adapters both get quite warm too. I've read about this online but so far they're both working.

I got both of my wireless adapters from ebay. If you are still entertaining keeping your Tivo I'd recommend this as a possible option. There are a lot of WG111 Ver.2 adapters on ebay but I steered away from these as they were listed as incompatible on the tivo sheet. The WG111NA adapters were more difficult to find but there were some out there. Currently there is item 5851188734 which is incidentilly the same seller that I purchased one of mine from.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #343
bjmpac

Question Thank you

Thank you msu-dawg for the encouragement. I did buy a 50 ft phone cord yesterday to run it from another room for the initial setup.

I checked on eBay for adaptors.. they seem plentiful.

Two questions:

1) which is the easiest to use/install:

D-link DWL-122 USB 802.11b wireless adapter
Netgear Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter Wg111
Linksys WUSB11 Wireless USB Adapter Ver. 2.8

D-Link 802.11g USB WiFi adapter DWL G122 122 verA2 TiVo ( except aren't we supposed to buy the b model, not g model?)

2) I see pictures of cd's with the packages of adaptors-- if I have to install this, will it screw up my system already in place? I have a Netgear wireless modem gateway CG814WG, which runs my wireless from the cable company? Should I stick with a Netgear product?

Thank you in advance and thanks for listening to me whine last night

bjm in SW FL
bjmpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #344
msu-dawg

To address the question of B versus G, my short answer is that I couldn't find any of the B speed adapters anywhere locally. The only thing carried in my stores now is 54Mbps G and the newer 108Mps stuff that I don't know much about.

I also was not able to find any G speed adapters locally that matched Tivo's selective "OK" list.

The D-Link DWL-G122 adapters I found locally were all version B1 (as printed in fine print on the UPC sticker), not A2 so I didn't chance it. And I can't even speak for the version B1 since I haven't used one.

If buying the Netgear WG111, just be sure it isn't version 2 as these are listed as incompatible on tivo list. On the front of the box it has WG111 written and the version 2 adapters have v2 after that. The box that each of mine came in just has WG111 on the front but the UPC sticker actually says WG111NA. Not sure what the difference is but the two I bought were recognized just by pluging them into the Tivo. I never had to plug them into my computer or even used the supplied CD, just plugged them into the Tivo. BTW, my 2 units are both series 2 with service numbers that start with 540 and 590.

I have a seperate DSL modem but my network router is a Linksys WRT54G.

Other than the previously mentioned fact that both Tivo's show the network connectio signal strength as constantly fluctuating up and down, I haven't had any issues. I've transferred several programs between DVR's and to the PC using the Tivo Desktop software.

Note that your Tivo software version must be 7.2.1 or later to use a G wireless adapter. If it isn't, once you do the initial setup on the phone line you need to request the software upgrade here http://research.tivo.com/72.1priority/

After requesting software update force your Tivo to connect to Tivo service to get it. It will probably take a while on phone to download it. I had to restart my tivo after the software download. Once you have version 7.2.1 you should be able to plug in your G wireless adapter and follow the onscreen directions for setting it up. FWIW, I'm using WEP wireless security feature on my router so when I set up each Tivo I had to have my WEP key handy to input into the Tivo.

If you need to email or private message me with other questions I'd be glad to try to help.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 PM   #345
msu-dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot
How to get TiVo to update more often?

I have successfully connected my new TiVo to my wireless network, however, it still only updates once a day.
Unfortunately I don't have an answer as to why your's didn't update. In the system information mine indicate that they are only updating once a day or so but the couple of times I've tried the online scheduling it has always worked. Just to try it again I scheduled a show at tivo.com at 9:10 CST and when I checked just now at 9:50 CST the DVR had picked it up.

Have you tried it more than the one time?
Old 01-20-2006, 06:54 AM   #346
The.Mayor
From Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHoltam
Yeah whats up with Tivo not supporting any of the wireless units on the stores shelf today? If they are just forcing people to buy the the Tivo branded unit that would SUCK. Shame on them..... I have been to 6 major stores and not a single unit on the list from any vendor. It can't be rocket science to create a driver that would allow the current version of these adapters to function. Get on it Tivo!

Steve
Tivo is on it. They solved a whole lot of problems by marketing their branded adaptor .

They don't have to fool around with a dozen or so drivers and then give the profits from selling another mfg adaptor out of the great house of Tivo .

Some exec woke up and saw away to increase the bottom line for Tivo, lets sell ur own adaptor . We may even amke a few bucks on the unit. I ordered a approved unit from PC Connection at 1:30 am this morning and should have it by noon DHL EXPRESS FOR LESS THAN THE TIVO UNIT .
Old 01-21-2006, 05:04 AM   #347
extramsg

* Series 2 40 hour Tivo DVR (bought in late December)
* Tivo USB wireless adapter.
* D-Link DI-524 B/G wireless router upgraded to firmware 1.20

The system has never been setup. I don't have access to a phone line.

Tried EVERYTHING including Tivo tech support twice, who just send me to D-Link who just sends me back to Tivo.

I've tried no security on the router, ASCII WEP, and HEX WEP. Currently it's on 64 Bit Hex WEP.

During guided setup, I've tried using DHCP and tried manually setting up the network settings. The SSID is always choosable, but once it gets to the end I get one of three errors:

* Network adapter has not been set up for use with the DVR
* DHCP server can not be found.
* Gateway (or router, can't remember) can not be found.

I believe these are errors N02, N08, and N09.

The router doesn't have a feature to straightforwardly disable the firewall, but I've tried essentially opening all ports and IPs to the world, and also setting the DMZ host to the IP address chosen for the Tivo. No help.

Any ideas before I call Tivo to send all this crap back?
extramsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #348
EdE

Ok, so I have read through this entire thread and other threads but cant find my answer. I have a Philips DSR708 series 2 with service number 301xxxx. I did the initial setup and update from a friends house and now am at version 6.2.01.
I also have a netgear WGR614 wireless router attached to my cable modem. I was thinking of getting either the netgear ma111 or WG111NA for the adapter. I looked at all the compatibilty lists but couldnt find my service number anywhere. I am only looking at doing this for updates as I have no land line and dont want one. Will these adapters work?

Last edited by EdE : 01-21-2006 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added information
EdE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:11 PM   #349
msu-dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdE
I did the initial setup and update from a friends house and now am at version 6.2.01.
Everything I have read indicates that you have to have the 7.2.1 version software to use any of the listed G speed wireless adapters. Is your unit a stand-alone Tivo or a DVD recorder Tivo? Did you use the link I posted previously for requesting the latest software from Tivo.com?
Old 01-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #350
EdE

MSU-DAWG-It is a stand alone Tivo. I was told by the experts at DirecTv that my particular units USB are not active and wont be because Tivo didnt license this to them. I thought I had the latest update. Wouldnt that have happened when I did the initial setup/update during guide set up? Will one of the B speed work? I was also looking at the Linksys Wusb11 Ver 2.8.
Thanks msu-dawg.

Last edited by EdE : 01-21-2006 at 06:37 PM. Reason: more info:
Old 01-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #351
msu-dawg

EdE,

If I interpreted your response correctly, you have a DirecTV Tivo unit? From what I remember, I don't think those can be used with the wireless adapter. And if the USB ports are not active then there isn't any way that I know of to hook up to a wireless (or wired) network.

sorry I don't have anything better I can tell you.

msu-dawg
Old 01-21-2006, 06:55 PM   #352
EdE

I dont know if I believe the people at DirecTv though.
I got the unit from them (actually from a friend that works there). It is a Philips unit but it has the DirecTv logo in one corner and the Tivo logo in the bottom corner. It is both the receiver and recorder, DVR I guess is how it is referred to.
I just want to be able to use the Net to update it and programming without having to use a phone line. And I cant see spending the extra $30/month just for updates and PPV ability. Or should I see about getting a different model? If so, what do you suggest?
Old 02-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #353
wmshax

Far too much trouble

I've just spent the last two hours scouring six local electronics stores for compatible wireless adapters for my new TIVO unit. Nothing to be found--it seems that almost all of the adapters on TIVO's approved list are well out-of-date. I went to the TIVO site to order their branded wireless adapter and have discovered that (incredibly) they are out of it and won't be shipping new orders until March. Reading this thread, I learn that there may be some adapters on ebay, but when I go there I discover that TIVO adapters are selling for more than $100! The other possibilities are sold (as are all things on ebay) as is, so if they don't work, I don't have any return options.

Wasted time, unavailable products, incompatibility issues.... There is something very, very wrong with this picture. I'd like to support TIVO, but I'm ready to box up my unit and send it back. I can get a DVR from my cable company for less money that's guaranteed to be compatible with my system and that doesn't force me to chase around town looking for out-of-date equipment.

If someone can direct me to a reliable source for equipment for connecting my TIVO DVR to a home wireless network, I'm all ears (please not ebay). Otherwise, I'm taking the easy route, much as I'd prefer not to.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.
wmshax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #354
msu-dawg

I feel your pain but unfortunately I can't give you any suggestions that you haven't already read about. I'm sure you can find any number of online retailers who can sell you one of the "approved" adapters from TiVo's list but whether or not they're reputable places to shop from.....??? I'd rather take my chances with a reputable ebay seller. I had noticed that TiVo branded adapters were selling way high on ebay. I didn't understand why until I saw that Tivo.com was sold out until March. I guess a lot of other frustrated tivoers are hoping that TiVo's adapter will solve their problems. My Netgear WG111NA adapters work with my Series 2 Tivos (TCD540040) but they do seem to have reception problems (to my Linksys router). Every once in a while I'll have to unplug and replug one to reset it because it loses connection.

The other evening I started transfer (between DVR's) on 6 shows. When I got up in the morning only 2 minutes of the first show had transferred. ARRRGGG!! I determined which DVR was showing no connection to network, unplugged and replugged it, and the transfers restarted and had finished by the time I got home from work. It seems to just kind of be a hit and miss thing.

I'm thinking of trying the Linksys B adapter that is listed on Tivo's site and will probably get it from "that auction site".

Sorry I couldn't help, hope you find a resolution.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #355
wk21030onaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by knwberg
I just hooked up a series 2Tivo. I also installed a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router (WRT54G) to my computer. I need detailed directions on how to connect the Tivo through the router. Is it possible to be truly "wireless" or is there still going to be a wire between the Tivo and router?
im in the same boat brother i have comcast i have both that router and BEFCMU10 modem and now i'm finding out that i have to go and buy ANOTHER router damn i should have joined this sooner to find out all the dirt but i still love watching my live shows in rewind. but it sucks that you can't change the channel and then rewind it the full hour and watch that that'd be nice though. You have to buy an adapter to plug in to the Tivo unit. but if you have a laptop or a really close by computer (Desktop) you can use a USB to connect the two (computer and tivo box) together and upload to ur laptop. that's what i've found out so far.

Edit: Also to the person 3 threads above me ever tried amazon? i did most of my shopping there. i refuse to use ebay anymore its less reliable and i trust amazon. noone in my family works there or its distributers i'm just going on what i've dealt with from amazon.
wk21030onaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #356
Drudgeman

I have a Linksys wireless G router and this item # N82E16833124103
from newegg worked fine with my Tivo Series2 (just got it yesterday)

You need to make sure the router is in dual mode (supports both B and G ). I don't use WEP, but have MAC address filters enabled. You can get the mac address from the Tivo Setup screen and then configure the router to allow that address (if you don't use mac address filters or use exclusion lists, then it shoulddn't be an issue.)
Drudgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #357
dhart

I hope there is a special place in hell for the software developers of TIVO Series II wireless connection. Here's the deal, I bought the stupid TiVo approved wireless adaptor after trying many of the so-called approved adaptors. I test the Tivo connection to my network using TiVo network connecting software, it passes. I can see the TiVO recorder on my network using a little program called Network Magic so I know it's hooked up to my network. I now attempt to connect and download my programming info. Fails during negoiating. Ahh! What the ...? Calling TiVo tech support is pointless. So I run a 100' cable through my house to my D-Mark once a week so I can hook up to my last POTS. This is all very weird because I had a wireless connection that worked perfectly until version 7.2 software came along. If only there was a better solution DVR than TiVo I'd buy it.
dhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:54 AM   #358
otwelmr

Arrow same problem

My wireless network died as well. It was working fine for months, and the other day it just stopped. My router can see the Tivo, but the Tivo can't see the network. Nothing about my setup has changed. I did notice that the network search screen disappeared after the last update. I used to get a laugh at other peoples network names. If anyone figures out a fix for the missing network problem please post it. For now, I have gone back to the "long phone line manually connected at night" routine.
otwelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #359
msu-dawg

You said that your router can see the Tivo but did not elaborate on exactly what you meant. I've noticed before that on my Linksys router under the list of devices that are on the network (where it shows my computer, printer, and 2 tivos) it will continue to show a device for some amount of time until it "refreshes" the network.

Did you try typing the IP address of the tivo into a web browser to see if the welcome screen comes up? And have you already tried the simple first step of cycling power on both the router and the tivo to see if they would reconnect?

Just some thoughts
Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #360
otwelmr

I have re-installed the adapter a couple of times, and have restarted both the router and the Tivo at least five times each. The router can see the Tivo (MAC address) and the adapter is showing the linked light. How do I find the IP address of the Tivo box? I've never tried that before.
otwelmr is offline   Reply With Quote