TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2006, 02:52 PM   #121
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I usually keep my max upload at around 30 while I'm still receiving files, then I make it unlimited after they are finished and then leave them seeding until I've uploaded at least twice as much as I received.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:35 PM   #122
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkman97
I limited my upload bandwidth to about 10 KB/sec and was getting crap download speeds. I couldn't figure out what the problem was with my download speed.

I adjusted it to the maximum upload and my torrent download speed jumped up to where it usually is. YMMV.

I've had it there ever since. I think I might drop it down to 30 and see what that gets me.
In general, bit torrent clients will devote more of their available bandwidth to the clients that are sending them data the fastest. So in a reasonably large swarm, you will get better download speeds (on average) when you upload faster. (For very small swarms it will matter much less, because you will be limited to the speed of the one or two clients that have the pieces you need).

However, I've noticed (as have others) that if you set the upload limit to unlimited you actually have (somewhat) lower average upload speed that if you set a limit at ~80% of your theoretical max upload speed.

In my case, my max upload is 2 megabits/s (256 Kbytes/s). I set the upload limit on Azurius to 200 Kbytes/s or about 78% of the max. This gave me the best performance.
Much higher than that, and I would see a jagged graph for upload speed, instead of a nice flat line. It would attempt to meet the higher cap, then for whatever reason wouldn't be able to sustain it and the upload speed would drop, then surge again. On average that was slower that just capping it at 200 Kb/s.

(Also, when in that surge and ebb mode bittorrent would noticeably impact web browsing by increasing latency of page load enough to be annoying.)
Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 PM   #123
chuckwny

I am trying out the Azureus client but I am only seeing download speeds around 30kB. Is there a setting I need to adjust or something (I have DSL).
chuckwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:09 AM   #124
mtnagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwny
I am trying out the Azureus client but I am only seeing download speeds around 30kB. Is there a setting I need to adjust or something (I have DSL).
I had tried BT several times in the past, but every time I would get horrible speeds. I assume it's because I couldn't figure out my network settings. Then I tried utorrent as someone here recommended and when it go through the setup, it linked to a couple web sites that walked me through the network settings and now it works fine for me (thank you everyone that's posted).
Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 AM   #125
jkindley
Not so New Member

When I download tv shows with > 200 seed's I usually get between 20 - 60 kbs speeds sometimes i get speeds as fast as 150 kbs ( pretty much maxing out my dsl).
The strange thing is that I have been downloading the Howard Stern show which always comes in at my full download rate ( 150~170 kbps). The amount of seeds for these shows is about the same as for the TV stuff that I get.
jkindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #126
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S
In my case, my max upload is 2 megabits/s (256 Kbytes/s). I set the upload limit on Azurius to 200 Kbytes/s or about 78% of the max. This gave me the best performance.

200, wow. I've been setting mine at 35, which I read somewhere was about right for my speed, and getting about 50KBs down on a good torrent. But my speed is the same as yours, I'm going to try 200 on the next one.
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM   #127
bigrig
∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞ ↔ ∞

I use a hacked xbox over a wireless network to view files on the TV. I'm tempted to get the Linkplayer2 for HD files, but I don't think the wireless will be able to handle the bandwidth.

I was downloading a show the other night that had a ton of seeds, and I thought the speed should be better. I went into the Azureus transfer settings and saw that it had 80 connections max for individual torrents. I set it to unlimited and my speed rocketed up!

Matt
bigrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:14 PM   #128
malutchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagal
I have tried to figure out this Bit Torrent stuff FOREVER.. and never been able to get it to work.

This morning my husband tried, and again.. we are coming up

Using the bittorrent.com guide instructions.. the part we must be doing wrong is the web server part. Do I need a designated web server to download shows? I have my own personal website for business and Kevin has a web server for work, do we somehow need to tap into these?

I was thinking this was more like downloading like I used to from Napster, etc... but apparently not.

We also tried trackerless, since we don't have a tracker.. should we get a tracker? from?

Is there a Bit Torrent for Dummies instruction/site/help out there?

Please no laughing

I got BitComet (which i guess is very similiar) I feel ya I am clueless and your thread is just making me more confused so if you learn anything please include me I would apprecaite it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
malutchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM   #129
Mabes
Ex-Smoker

Is it also true that if you are uploading at a greater rate than you are downloading your settings are off?
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:21 PM   #130
SoBelle0
What's next?

Great info!! I got West Wing. Wow, it was really slow... but I got it and converted it for TiVo and am about to watch it. I was just going to burn it - but figured I may as well test out the Videora while I was at it.
At this speed, I'm not sure just how useful it will be - maybe I can tweak the speeds like some of you have noted - but for a 'gotta have it' situation it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the thread scuba! and thanks for the info everyone!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:05 PM   #131
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

SoBelle, will you be watching on a 4:3 TV? If so, let me know how it works. I'm still having problems converting 16:9 files to be viewed properly on my 4:3 TV. If anyone has any advice, feel free to share.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #132
ddockery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabes
Is it also true that if you are uploading at a greater rate than you are downloading your settings are off?
Not necessarily. Once again it dpends on who is conected to the torrent, what their settings are, and which pieces of the torrent they each have. The parts you need may be less common, and thus are being shared by less peers.
ddockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:06 PM   #133
MickeS

devdogaz, I have converted several dozens of 16:9 files to letterboxed 4:3 using the MPEG-2/720x480/2Mbit/16:9/192kbps profile in Videora. Are you absolutely sure that this is the profile you are using (it is not the default profile, so unless you have set it as default profile, it will not use that when you click on "one click encoding")?

It seems odd it would work so well for me but not for you... also, I'm not sure it makes a difference, but maybe if it still doesn't work, verify that your TiVo is set to 4:3 format... it should be though, otherwise I guess other TV would look odd too.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:18 PM   #134
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Actually, I've read in several other threads and forums today that in order for this to work the TiVo needs to be set on 16:9. Supposedly it won't affect how the normal 4:3 video looks but it will allow the 16:9 stuff to display accurately. I don't know if this is correct since I haven't been home to try it since I read this info.

However, I've tried every single 16:9 setting on Videora and none of them have worked so I'm willing to try anything. Is it possible that it could be TV-specific, meaning some TVs will display the files while others won't? Could it be that different TiVo models have different capabilities?

I've downloaded the most current codec from www.divx.com and that doesn't seem to make a difference. Is there another codec that I could get that might have some effect?
Old 01-19-2006, 06:26 PM   #135
malutchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBelle0
Great info!! I got West Wing. Wow, it was really slow... but I got it and converted it for TiVo and am about to watch it. I was just going to burn it - but figured I may as well test out the Videora while I was at it.
At this speed, I'm not sure just how useful it will be - maybe I can tweak the speeds like some of you have noted - but for a 'gotta have it' situation it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the thread scuba! and thanks for the info everyone!

You sooo need to show me how to do that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
malutchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #136
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devdogaz
SoBelle, will you be watching on a 4:3 TV? If so, let me know how it works. I'm still having problems converting 16:9 files to be viewed properly on my 4:3 TV. If anyone has any advice, feel free to share.
I am watching it on a 4:3 TV - and the picture is stretched. It's a bit of a bother... it definitely looked better on the laptop. I didn't change any settings within Videora - and plan to with my next try. I've got two more shows I dld... figured what the heck they can go while I'm sleeping. Ah, brings back days of dling music on dial-up. So, let's exchange notes if either of us comes up with a setting that makes it 4:3 size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malutchen
You sooo need to show me how to do that!
Sure! Hope this helps. I only remember generalities b/c I didn't do it all at the same time.
  • I downloaded uTorrent based on the recs here. I think page 1 or 2 of this thread...
  • Then used mininova.org to find the show I wanted. (Had to Google to get the right episode number and such b/c the descriptions are limited. For example, I wanted Sunday night's West Wing - which, turns out, is from Season 7 Episode 11 - so I found the file named west.wing.s07e11. That still probably isn't foolproof, just so ya know.) Double-clicked it and off it went. Downloading and so on - for a very long time.
  • Then the next night - I dld Videora. I think again page 1 or 2... and ran the recording thru it to convert it to a format TiVo could read.
  • Then moved the new file from the Videora folder into the TiVo Recordings folder and voila! it showed up in my Turtle directory on TiVo. Woo Hoo!
Good luck!!
Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #137
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

OK, I changed the TV Aspect Ratio on the TiVo to "16:9 Capable" and now the video plays without interlacing problems but it is stretched vertically so everything is tall and skinny. I was able to achieve this same result previously by converting 16:9 files using the 4:3 settings in Videora.

If anyone has had success converting a 16:9 .avi file and displaying it with the proper aspect ratio (letterboxed) on a 4:3 TV, please let us know how it's done. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM   #138
SoBelle0
What's next?

Okay - I converted the second file using the profile suggested by MickeS - and it worked. I'm now watching it in letterbox. The picture looks great!!

I'm converting my last one using that profile as well (now set as my default) - just to be sure it wasn't anything about that file that was diff. I'll post again and let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:22 PM   #139
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Thanks for the info... d/l my first torrent now (happens to be the last West Wing episode as well)

Got a question... searching through mininova; the description of the shows have, seemingly, several abbreviations. For example...

House - House S02E10 HR HDTV AC3 5.1 XviD-NBS vs.
House 2x10 (HDTV-FOV)[VTV]

The first one is almost twice the size of the other (and has more seeds & leechers) - but does that necessarly make it a better file? Especially when you are looking to convert it for TiVo viewing?

Thanks,

Jeff
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #140
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

On using the TiVo conversion tool - if you already have a widescreen TV (like I do), should I still use the settings that MickeS suggests or will the default work just as well?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #141
SoBelle0
What's next?

Jeff - I coulda brought you a DVD on Sat. Good luck with your dls.

Re: your 2nd question - I think the default includes 4:3 ratio info - which I think (but have no idea, for sure) means that it "modifies it to fit the screen" or whatever they say. So, you should probably still pick a 16:9 option - such as the one MickeS suggested. Let me know - 'cause soon enuf I'll have a fancy new TV as well and will want to use the right option.

I have no idea whatsoever about the various naming schemes used... or how to determine quality, etc. I just figure I got lucky that, thus far, the two I got were both in English and one had been edited to remove the commercials, the 2nd one is really crappy... and I'm converting the final one now.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #142
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerdude
Thanks for the info... d/l my first torrent now (happens to be the last West Wing episode as well)

Got a question... searching through mininova; the description of the shows have, seemingly, several abbreviations. For example...

House - House S02E10 HR HDTV AC3 5.1 XviD-NBS vs.
House 2x10 (HDTV-FOV)[VTV]

The first one is almost twice the size of the other (and has more seeds & leechers) - but does that necessarly make it a better file? Especially when you are looking to convert it for TiVo viewing?
We're seeing more and more HD versions -- where the resolution is higher than the normal video files that'd be about 350MB/43 minutes of show. The "HR" there is referring to "high resolution"; the "HDTV" in both refers to the source being an HDTV/digital broadcast; "AC3 5.1" refers to the audio encoding; "XviD" is identifying the codec used to compress it; "NBS" and "FOV" are referring to the group of folks who are doing the captures and encodings which often helps people identify levels of quality when comparing multiple possible downloads.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #143
MickeS

Quote:
On using the TiVo conversion tool - if you already have a widescreen TV (like I do), should I still use the settings that MickeS suggests or will the default work just as well?
You should chose to encode to the same ratio that the source file is, no matter what aspect ratio your TV is - so if it's a 16:9 source, encode using a 16:9 profile (same for 4:3).

When you get your widescreen TV, change the "TV Aspect Ratio" in the TiVo settings to "16:9" - the 16:9 encoded files that had letterbox black bars when TiVo was set to 4:3 will then fill the entire screen.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:46 AM   #144
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Conversion completed - Transfering them to the TiVo now...

Which leads me to another question - Wired vs. Wireless ... except for the transfer speed, is there any difference in the quality of the video being transfered (either way)?

Thanks again,

Jeff

PS - Is it me... or has this thread been moved to the TV Show Talk forum? (Don't really notice too much, since I use "View New Posts")
Old 01-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #145
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
You should chose to encode to the same ratio that the source file is, no matter what aspect ratio your TV is - so if it's a 16:9 source, encode using a 16:9 profile (same for 4:3).

When you get your widescreen TV, change the "TV Aspect Ratio" in the TiVo settings to "16:9" - the 16:9 encoded files that had letterbox black bars when TiVo was set to 4:3 will then fill the entire screen.
Well, that makes so much sense. Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 PM   #146
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Ok, I am collecting questions as I read through this thread, so bear with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindley
I second that uTorrent rocks

Once you download the file you then go out and buy an old X-box ( $150) , void the warrenty by opening it up and add a mod card ( $45), get a 100Gig hard drive & install it, go to walmart and get the xbox remote ($35), download various files: Bios's, ftp program & XBOX MEDEA CENTER. Then you can watch the video that you just downloaded,

or like others you can convert it to DVD format and burn it to a DVD.
Can these be bought already modded ready to go without all the extra steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowfan
I just bought the Phillips DVP 642 DVD player. It plays DivX files. I just take the AVI files that I get off BT, burn them to DVD, and the Philips plays them. Works and looks great.
Can you burn to a CD-RW or DVD+/-RW and play it on the DVP 642 so that you can reuse the disk over & over? Or does it require using just a CD-R or DVD+/-R?

I see mention of TiVoGoBack and TiVo Desktop. Are they anything I can use with my two DirecTiVos? Can I upload anything to them to watch on the TV?

I see everyone talking about how uTorrent rocks. I have been using BitComet for quite some time. Is uTorrent better than that?

I think that is all. I have read the whole thread and am now submitting my questions!
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #147
MickeS

Quote:
Can these be bought already modded ready to go without all the extra steps?
Look at eBay.

Quote:
Can you burn to a CD-RW or DVD+/-RW and play it on the DVP 642 so that you can reuse the disk over & over? Or does it require using just a CD-R or DVD+/-R?
It can use /+-RW discs fine. The only thing I've had trouble playing on it is Qpel-encoded Xvid.

Quote:
I see mention of TiVoGoBack and TiVo Desktop. Are they anything I can use with my two DirecTiVos? Can I upload anything to them to watch on the TV?
No, DirecTivo does not support this. Maybe there are hacks that let you, but "natively" they don't.

Quote:
I see everyone talking about how uTorrent rocks. I have been using BitComet for quite some time. Is uTorrent better than that?
No idea. I've used BitComet and liked it a lot. Using Azureus now. I don't think it matters much.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #148
ddockery

I prefer uTorrent to Azureus, because Azureus is a reource hog. At it's best it took over 40MB of memory, and uTorrent takes up 2-3MB. As far as performance on torrents, they are both very configurable and work well.
ddockery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #149
efilippi

Originally Posted by MickeS

But how does one know what the source file was encoded at? The descriptions don't include it, as far as I have seen. Heck, I'm happy when I get English instead of German! Is there some 'properties' option somewhere that looks into the avi file?

Another wierd thing happened to me today. I have a movie that runs very well on the pc, but only the video part. There is no audio at all and I can see a fleeting "error dowlonading codec" on the windows Media Player. But after I run it through Videora and watch it on Tivo, the sound is fine! How can that be?
efilippi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:41 PM   #150
MickeS

Quote:
But how does one know what the source file was encoded at? The descriptions don't include it, as far as I have seen. Heck, I'm happy when I get English instead of German! Is there some 'properties' option somewhere that looks into the avi file?
Yeah, if you right-click on the file in Windows Explorer, and choose "Properties" and "Summary"-> "advanced", it should say the height and width there. Just divide the height by the width and you'll get the aspect ratio.

Also, if it's a HDTV rip (usually says in file name) it's 16:9.

Windows Media Player probably does not have that particular codec registered, or access to it or whatever, but Videora does.

I have seen it happen for me with Media Player Classic vs WMP. Media Player Classic can play anything I throw at it, while WMP stumbles quite often.