TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2006, 09:07 AM   #241
JJA
Senior Citizen

Tuesday was watching a UConn basketball game, 35K over the Pacific on my way to Japan on United. Slingbox is indeed wonderful.
JJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #242
DonQijote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA
Tuesday was watching a UConn basketball game, 35K over the Pacific on my way to Japan on United. Slingbox is indeed wonderful.
====================================================

JJA,

Which airline offers DSL on their flights?
DonQijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #243
DonQijote

Sorry....you said United, I meant to ask:

Which other airlines (besides United) offers broadband on their planes? Do they also offer on domestic flights?
DonQijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #244
dwynne

Some Slingbox notes:

1) One big thing that I did not know - I checked before I purchased my Slingbox and with the firmware update you can switch remotely between two video sources (the antenna, s-video, and composite video). What I DID NOT SEE MENTIONED is that there is only a SINGLE pair of audio inputs to the box. So if you connect one device to S-Video and another to composite you will have to choose which to listen to.

The Work-around is to connect one channel from each source to the SlingBox, then when you switch video sources you can fade the balance on your PC to match the source. Pretty clunky, but it works. I have requested that they correct this in the next firmware/software update. They should add an option that lets you tie one channel to each input (left to S-video, right to composite). You will get mono on your player - but you have to do nothing when you switch sources.

Another work-around is to modulate the composite source on to channel 3/4 and feed it into the tuner. Again, this is clunky (and spendy).

2) If you program your Slingbox for two DTivos you will only get a remote control for the LAST one you program. So if you connect one to S-video and the other to composite (in that order) you will have no remote for the S-video DTivo. I think this flaw exists no matter if you are using SA Tivos, DTivos, or a combination.

This is a known bug and has been fixed in the latest BETA firmware and player. If you download just the released stuff it will not work properly. Once you have the BETA update installed just re-do the input setup again for both DTivos and you will a remote control for each.

3) My Comcast cable modem provides about 384k uplink bandwidth, which is just enough for an "OK" view. The screen is clear enough I can mute the audio (or have no audio, see item 1) and read the CC off the screen w/o a problem. It looks TONS better around the house where I get more than 3x the bandwidth.

This really is a slick "toy" - for me - I don't need it, but it is cool. I can schedule recordings or remove them remotely and watch DTivo from anywhere.

Dennis
dwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #245
tivoboy

uh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJA

uh, I don't think you were on United. Were you on ANA or Singapore possibly.

United has not rolled out any connexion services, unless this was a one off flight.
If yes, please list the flight number, cities and date for information puposes please.

thanks
Nicholas
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #246
SeattleCarl

Another option as far as the audio is concerned is you can turn off the source you are not actively watching. I realize you do not normally turn off tivos.
-
Also, the new remotes that they have in the beta for the newer DirecTV equipment (D11 and R15) do not work properly yet. Sling is working on corrections.
-
Carl
SeattleCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #247
gfb107

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCarl
Also, the new remotes that they have in the beta for the newer DirecTV equipment (D11 and R15) do not work properly yet. Sling is working on corrections.
FYI, you can use the JP1 tools to fix this yourself, or to add support to the SlingBox for any IR controlled device you may have. See http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/10580/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need a universal remote? Try the
(modifed for
)
gfb107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:14 PM   #248
SeattleCarl

Actually I tried (but not very hard) to use JP1 tools. Did not succeed in my limited effort, and did not have time to screw with it farther.
-
Sling is now working on fixing the various remote problems (not just D* related) in the beta, and I have no doubt all will be correct when the new version is released officially and not in beta.
-
Carl
SeattleCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #249
DVRaholic
I love my Series 3

Now $149.99!!!!!!!!

Slingbox is now $149.99 at Amazon.com With FREE Shipping!!!

Now its time to get my new baby!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...386431?ie=UTF8

1-FIOS DVR
1-Series3 Tivo FIOS service
1TB external Drive

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
2-Sony 34-XBR-910's
DVRaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #250
DVRaholic
I love my Series 3

Im really happy I came across this Old thread!!!

The reason why this Slingbox will work Great for me is I am a Baseball NUT and I Love my NY Yankees!!

I have MLB-EI with Directv. I also got MLB Online THINKING that I could watch my yankees on my laptop when Im away. BUT NO! MLB Blacks out the yankee games for me since I llive in the NYC dma!!!! Even if they are showing the YES feed. Their blackout rules are Stupid and unfair!!!

Im now going to CANCLE my MLB online subscription and watch my Yankees, and all of MLB-EI games on my new slingox, PLUS with a much better picture!!
MLB online's picture for most games is FAIR, sometimes its very pixlated and blotchy!!

Thank you Slingbox and Amazon!!!!

1-FIOS DVR
1-Series3 Tivo FIOS service
1TB external Drive

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
2-Sony 34-XBR-910's
DVRaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 PM   #251
tnedator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRaholic
Im really happy I came across this Old thread!!!

The reason why this Slingbox will work Great for me is I am a Baseball NUT and I Love my NY Yankees!!

I have MLB-EI with Directv. I also got MLB Online THINKING that I could watch my yankees on my laptop when Im away. BUT NO! MLB Blacks out the yankee games for me since I llive in the NYC dma!!!! Even if they are showing the YES feed. Their blackout rules are Stupid and unfair!!!

Im now going to CANCLE my MLB online subscription and watch my Yankees, and all of MLB-EI games on my new slingox, PLUS with a much better picture!!
MLB online's picture for most games is FAIR, sometimes its very pixlated and blotchy!!

Thank you Slingbox and Amazon!!!!
Last year I decided not to get EI for the first time since DirecTV started carrying it and went with the MLB.com total access or whatever their $100 or $130 package was last year. Between the blackouts and poor video quality in anything other than a 3" square viewing box, I definately wasn't impressed. This year I am back with Extra Innings.

Go Mets!!!!!!
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #252
BillieBog

Question Do I really need a Slingbox

I just upgraded my Hughes Series 2 HDVR2 with a D2R-160000-151-PTVNET 146 Hour Replacement Drive Kit (160GB) and hooked it up to my network at home.

The Tivo now shows up PTVNET and has an IP address but I cannot figure out how to access and watch my programs remotely. I am not very technical, am amazing exhausted after staying up all night accomplishing the network connection and am totally confused about what to do next. It seems like every step is another $$.

Help, please

BillieBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #253
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Yes, if your intention is to be able to stream video from the HDVR2 to your computer over the internet (for "placeshifting") then you'd need a Slingbox.

PTVNET lets you access the TiVo for other stuff, like TiVoWeb (setting up recordings, checking out your Season Passes and To-Do list, etc.)
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #254
BillieBog

Thanks, do I still need a wireless adapter

Thanks, for the help. If I buy the SwingBox do I still nee the wireless gaming adapter ($60) that I bought last night or will the SwingBox connect to my network?
BillieBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #255
TWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieBog
Thanks, for the help. If I buy the SwingBox do I still nee the wireless gaming adapter ($60) that I bought last night or will the SwingBox connect to my network?
If want to put the SlingBox on a wireless network, then yes. The SlingBox only has a wired Ethernet port, so you would need some type of wireless bridge to put it on a wireless network.
TWood is offline   Reply With Quote