TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2005, 10:55 AM   #571
krausdoug

Thanks for all the great information on this topic! I still can't make my Phillips DSR704 (series 2) to make the call. I looked on the back of this unit and it does not have a serial port, but it does have 2 USB ports. Can I use these to connect to my computer? I've heard that DirecTV tivos have all nextworking ports (ethernet and USB) disabled.
krausdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:25 PM   #572
cactus46

Hi krausdoug,

In the picture I see referenced by DirecTV for DSR704/708, it shows the Serial port between the phone jack and the USB ports. It is the upper of the two minature jacks and labeled Serial.

You can see a picture of it on DirecTV's web site: http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Sys...ips_DSR708.pdf page 28 of 174.

John
cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:50 PM   #573
edishe

Vonage and Comcast

I don't have DirectTV - I have Comcast and cannot figure out how the Vonage would work. I tried plugging in the wire that was hooked to the telephone jack to the Vonage box that my phone is hooked up to but the call didn't go through. I am thinking about cancelling Vonage and going back to the Telephone company if this gets too complicated.
edishe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:20 AM   #574
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by edishe
I don't have DirectTV - I have Comcast and cannot figure out how the Vonage would work. I tried plugging in the wire that was hooked to the telephone jack to the Vonage box that my phone is hooked up to but the call didn't go through. I am thinking about cancelling Vonage and going back to the Telephone company if this gets too complicated.
What Vonage adaptor do you have? Is it the one with the built in router?

Generally what you would do is plug in a Cat5 cable out of your modem to the Vonage adaptor's WAN and then connect a Cat5 from the PC port to your PC ethernet card. There are other ways but until we know your setup why risk further confusing you?

Keep in mind that if you have internet access in this setup the problem is likely not with the hardware connections. Also keep in mind that it takes up to 5 minutes for the adaptor to initialize. When the green light quits blinking your phone should work.

If it still doesn't work, contact either tech support or read the online FAQs at the Vonage site.

If the hardware is correctly installed but the phone still doesn't work it could be a software issue with your computer, such as Zone Alarm or other such software blocking access. Disable the possibly offending software temporarily to see if that's the problem. If you are using a router make sure its setup is granting access to the adaptor.

I love Vonage but truthfully you do need a cell phone or a landline as a backup. From my experience 95% of the time it is problem free, and of the other 5% it's usually your ISP connection and not Vonage at fault.
restart88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #575
bonscott87
Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edishe
Don't *ever* hook up your vonage box to your regular phone jack. You will blow out the vonage box by doing that. It should be one of the first warnings in your quick start guide.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:21 PM   #576
DesignDawg

Welllll......

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87
Don't *ever* hook up your vonage box to your regular phone jack. You will blow out the vonage box by doing that. It should be one of the first warnings in your quick start guide.
Never say never. Actually, if you want to use your home's existing wiring so all your jacks work, you HAVE to plug it into one of your jacks. --BUT, you are right that you could cause damage that way. You MUST unplug the phone line at your NID first, so you're not getting power from outside. Then, when you plug your Vonage box into a jack, it will power all your jacks, just as your NID once did.

Actually, that's in the install instructions for the ATT Callvantage service. I don't know why Vonage doesn't officially tell people to do this, too??

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #577
jkfry

Question Help with Vonage

I have Vonage and a DSL connection (all works great) tv currently set up on dsl land line I want to get directv off that line as every call cost $
I have only one vonage phone # and don't want 2 lines so I am looking for help on setting that up if possible.

my tivo box has a phone jack and a usb jack what do I need to add

oh my phone is connected to the vonage modem and is a extend a phone set up

please help
thanks
Janice
jkfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:22 PM   #578
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfry
I have Vonage and a DSL connection (all works great) tv currently set up on dsl land line I want to get directv off that line as every call cost $
I have only one vonage phone # and don't want 2 lines so I am looking for help on setting that up if possible.

my tivo box has a phone jack and a usb jack what do I need to add

oh my phone is connected to the vonage modem and is a extend a phone set up

please help
thanks
Janice
I'm not sure you can do it as described with DSL. Wireless jacks maybe. But since DSL uses phone lines won't there still be power coming in? Perhaps you could get a 2nd NIC box and tie the lines into that, so that the only externally powered line is in the DSL box or something.
restart88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:44 PM   #579
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87

just unplug the phone companys incoming line outside in the box and you can hook up any of the VOIP services, packet8, callvantage, vonage, doesnt matter and use all of the house phone jacks.

Last edited by vurbano : 09-20-2005 at 02:21 PM.
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM   #580
Zan569

Help Me Please

OK I'm kinda slow when it comes to computers and setting things up so hopefully someone can help me.

I just got Dirctv Tivo Samsung DVR Unit is what they gave me. I have vonage though a wireless router with 2 phone ports.

But now I don't know what to exactly do to get the Tivo to work. I connected a phone cord from the router (phone port 1) to the Directv Tivo box and it couldn't make a call. I tried putting in the prefix ,#019 and it couldn't make the call. Please someone tell me what I am doing wrong and how I can get this to work.
I've read through this forum and everyone is talking about external modems. Is this something I'm going to have to get to get this to work? Help me please.

Thank you so much
Zan569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:55 PM   #581
Bmoore10

Good luck. I have the Directv brand with TIVo (one of the newer ones with a 250meg hard drive) and vonage. It was a nightmare on with vonage and directv technical assistance. Finally after tons of other things that didn't work -- the external modem work perfectly. I got an old modem and had a computer guy program it to some of the specs on this forum and it worked once I used a TIVO number out of New York. If you can't get anything else to work go to the "weakknees" site and buy their external modem set up. Do a search for "weakknees and tivo" and it should come up. Its a modem and a special cord all configured. I think it costs $69. Its worth the money if all else fails. You might want to e-mail them with your unit info and get their 2 cents before you buy. Now, your unit doesn't seem to be the same as mine so you may need to search this forum for someone talking about your unit or someone will ultimately answer with more knowledge than me. Here are some preliminary must try items:

1. Go on your Vonage website and account and make sure your call quality is on 99bps. You should see on your Vonage website dashboard a link for call quality and be sure to set it to the 99 setting for the best call quality.

2. If you can tell the TIVo unit what phone number to try for the TIVO call, try using a New York City TIVO number (even my external modem only worked with a New York number). Apparently the New York numbers are closer to some vonage switch and the call quality can be better for the call. Some other people on this forum may be able to give you better detail. On my unit you have to put the new number in the dialing prefix spaces on the call set up screen. Anyway some of the New York numbers are 212-920-3005 or 212-202-9705 or 212-277-3895. The cost shouldn't be a factor cause vonage long distance is part of the vonage package.

Good luck. Brian
Bmoore10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:28 AM   #582
Devlin85

Big Grin This works

I talked to Vonage today and finally got my **** connected. They gave me 3: 28.8 kb/s servers to connect to as well as the tivo supplied ,#034 command. According to Tivo ,#034 will turn down the connection speed to 28.8 kb/s on any TivO (also DirecTiVo) (,#064 in some cases) and using these servers will actually make it work. Use and one of these 3 "long distance" servers (don't matter if its free) to connect, set up your dial in number as: 212-277-3895; 212-920-3005; 212-271-7103 ( with ,#034 as dial prefix), or for those of you who cant currently connect do this:

dial # = "your local dial in #"
prefix = "2122773895"
"2129203005"
"2122717103"
call waiting = ",#034 (or ,#064)"

They also say disable phone avail detection and tone detection, but i them both on and it works just fine. It will fail occasional. (also if you set your dial in number as one of the numbers listed and its doesn't work, try it using as listed in example above, your connection may still be trying to transmit to fast.) (Damn Complicated TiVo)

Also in a chat I had with a TiVo Hardware Enginere in charge of "Connectivity" , Internet and other "Voip" related Issues I Inquired about the Voip connection issued and weather they were planning on introducing the use of the USB ports on the back TiVo's for nearly 85% DirecTv Audience for use of USB NIC's and the possibility of connecting through the internet for the daily call. And he said its not in planning in the near future. They still want to know that the satellite is at "home base." So it looks like weary connections for Direct Tv users with Tivo For a while to come.

Last edited by Devlin85 : 10-17-2005 at 12:46 AM.
Devlin85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:47 AM   #583
Chilli_Dog
HD / Tivo Enthusiast

I tried your settings and was unable to connect. However, I was able to tweak your settings slightly and voila -- it completed the call. This surprised the heck out of me since I've been trying variations of these settings for months with no luck.

Here are my settings:

Set Dial-In Number: (local #)
Set Dial Prefix: 2122773895
Set Call Waiting Prefix: ,#034,*99,
Set Tone/Pulse: Tone
Set 'Phone Avail.' Detection: Off
Set Dial Tone Detection: Off

It doesn't connect every single time, but it connects the majority of the time. Hope someone finds this helpful.
Chilli_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 02:46 PM   #584
melchioe

Hey, I just went from 0% success in DTV over vonage since April 2005, to 100% after doing two things, one FREE, and one costing $40.00 (note: since april, I have tried so many # codes, call-waiting prefixes, area codes, and such that my wife was ready to slap me. I was addicted to the codes, man… I haunted the lists, and tried new ones every day, and new combos too.)

$40 – went to compusa and got a WRTP54G to replace the PAP2 and WRT54G – after rebates, total coast is $40, plus I can take the PAP2 with me now to remote locations, and have internet phone when I travel to Europe or Mexico. This one brought my successful call rate from 0% to about 70% (and gave me a nice nite-light in the living room – those blue indicator lights are bright, man. Plus, it’s much neater there now that I only have one box.)

Free: swapping my cable modem from the old DOCSIS 1.1 Motorola 4200 to a newer DOCSIS 2.0 modem – Time Warner just swapped it – it told them it dropped connections occaisionally. This brought my success rate from about 70% to %100 ( I never tried this with my old PAP2 and WRT54G combination, but I suspect it would have given me pretty good results).

Reasoning:
Latency and packet loss are our enemies. There is a huge difference between data over analof lines and over digital. On an old POTS line (Plain Old Telephone Service), it could get pretty noisy, but since the connection was always open once established, there was virtually NO latency. On my data connection, I was running an average of 120ms delay, up to 1200ms. Fine for modern packet-oriented data connections that automatically resend dropped packets, and can re-order packets that arrive out of order, but traditional modems expect all packets to arrive in order, and that they will not be delayed in getting there. Modern packet communications are much more fault-tolerant when considered as a whole system, but when you put analog modems over a digital connection, odd things can happen if there is latency or packet loss.

DOCSIS 2.0 has much greater capability in both upstream and downstream dataflow - the pipline is much bigger. The WRTP54G has the Qos built in, so the Vonage traffic gets higher priority (I had it set for high priority in the WRT54G, but it never seemed to make a difference.)

The two things I did above were designed to minimize latency, but I also see an improvement in my packet loss as well.

YMMV, but I firmly believe that what we need to do to fix this is minimize latency and packet loss. All of the codes, slowing down modems, etc., are designed to make the analog modem system more tolerant.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:37 PM   #585
thedish

Arrow HELP with Verizon VOIP + Directv DVR calls!

I have Verizon VOIP (aka Voicewing) and Directv DVR model Hughes SD-DVR40.

My computer is located about 50' from the DVR. I can't get closer.

I have tried almost everything to be able to make a call, including various codes (not a techie here) found on the internet.

I last used a 50' phone cable to connect the telephone adaptor to the DVR, and got an error message of 'call failed' or 'line busy'.

HELP! Do I need to buy a modem? Upgrade? What can I do?

Thanks for any assistance,
Dish
thedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:35 PM   #586
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedish
I have Verizon VOIP (aka Voicewing) and Directv DVR model Hughes SD-DVR40.

My computer is located about 50' from the DVR. I can't get closer.

I have tried almost everything to be able to make a call, including various codes (not a techie here) found on the internet.

I last used a 50' phone cable to connect the telephone adaptor to the DVR, and got an error message of 'call failed' or 'line busy'.

HELP! Do I need to buy a modem? Upgrade? What can I do?

Thanks for any assistance,
Dish
How does your computer figure into this? You need a phoneline. DTivo cannot easily connect via direct broadband, though some claim it can with additional hardware. The DVR seems to be looking for a dialtone. I have no problem using Vonage as my phoneline, but I suppose Voicewing might be different.

Double check your dialing settings in the DTivo menu. Try playing around with them, especially call waiting settings.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #587
thedish

How does your computer figure into this? You need a phoneline. DTivo cannot easily connect via direct broadband, though some claim it can with additional hardware. The DVR seems to be looking for a dialtone. I have no problem using Vonage as my phoneline, but I suppose Voicewing might be different.

Double check your dialing settings in the DTivo menu. Try playing around with them, especially call waiting settings.

don't you need a broadband connection to get vonage? i have dsl for my computer internet. i don't have cable modem or cable tv. and i'm not a techie, so i don't think i'll have much luck playing with the settings.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #588
thedish

ALSO--could the LONG phone cord be the reason i can't connect??

dish
Old 02-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #589
super dave
Upgrade Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedish
ALSO--could the LONG phone cord be the reason i can't connect??

dish
I don't think the length of the cord could have that much effect on it. The jack I use is easily over 50' from the Vonage adaptor. One of your settings is putting the VOIP line into a busy signal.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 PM   #590
Knight3131

Hello Everyone,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I have HR10-250 and I have optimum voice (cablevision's phone service).

I connected a south bell wireless jack since the phone is far away and running cables will only cause problems.

According to one personell at cablevision DVR doesnt work with their phone service but at first they told me it did. They told me I need to change something in the DVR to 14.4 kbps. I dont know how to do that.

Has anyone been able to set it up with optimum voice with cablevision or time warner cable.

Thanks

PS just spoke DTV and they dont know what they are doing. The last person i spoke with told me they activated the access card for a HD receiver not a HD DVR. I spoke to 4 different people and no one notice this after speaking them that someone made a mistake.
Knight3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #591
PHijduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight3131
Hello Everyone,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I have HR10-250 and I have optimum voice (cablevision's phone service).

I connected a south bell wireless jack since the phone is far away and running cables will only cause problems.

According to one personell at cablevision DVR doesnt work with their phone service but at first they told me it did. They told me I need to change something in the DVR to 14.4 kbps. I dont know how to do that.

Has anyone been able to set it up with optimum voice with cablevision or time warner cable.

Thanks

PS just spoke DTV and they dont know what they are doing. The last person i spoke with told me they activated the access card for a HD receiver not a HD DVR. I spoke to 4 different people and no one notice this after speaking them that someone made a mistake.
Just a note my success is from is using Vonage...but the commands down below slow down your internal modems speed on the DirecTV unit...the phone numbers are DirecTV/TiVo based so give them a shot as well.

If you check out the prior Post from Devlin85 he found this information out from Tivo Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin85
According to Tivo ,#034 will turn down the connection speed to 28.8 kb/s on any TiVo (also DirecTiVo) (,#064 in some cases)
You may want to try this command and/or call Tivo (since the HD unit is TiVo based) directly to see if can be slowed down even further to 14.4kbps.

I ended up using a combination between posts from Devlin85 and Chilli_Dog and this is what my configuration looks like and works at:

Set Dial-In Number: (local #)
Set Dial Prefix: 2129203005
Set Call Waiting Prefix: ,#064,*99,
Set Tone/Pulse: Tone
Set 'Phone Avail.' Detection: Off
Set Dial Tone Detection: Off

Other known working numbers are 212-277-3895 and 212-271-7103.

In addition to the above I did install a DSL Filter on the line (mentioned early on in this thread as an option) since I had one laying around from my last house (cable now ). In addition I moved the quality setting all the way up to high. I am going to slowley move this down until I start getting failures and then leave at the lowest possible that works.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #592
oldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by super dave
I don't think the length of the cord could have that much effect on it. The jack I use is easily over 50' from the Vonage adaptor. One of your settings is putting the VOIP line into a busy signal.
The *99 code cause some Vonage adapters (such as the MOTO 2442) to get a busy signal.
I just did extensive tests with both my HR10-250's and the following works for me:
dial prefix 2122773895
call wait prefix ,#034
oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 01:19 AM   #593
realcouple

There is a lot of great information here! Unfortunately I am not sure it will help me in my situation. I have a Directv DVR R10 tivo unit. My Broadband Connection Is a Hughes Net DW7000 Satelite set up. As of this moment I don't have VOIP but I would love to have it If I knew it would work with my set up. Saying goodbye to my phone company would save me around $50.00 a month. According to Hughes net VOIP might work but with a slight delay. Is there anyone out there familiar with such a setup that combines VOIP, Directv Tivo, and a Sat. broadband connection?
realcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 07:45 AM   #594
Kash76
Live TV?

Saves me about $40 a month

RCA Series 2 DirecTiVo
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
Philips DSR6000R DirecTiVo HACKED --> 106 hours!
Lifetime TiVo Sub!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #595
PHijduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcouple
There is a lot of great information here! Unfortunately I am not sure it will help me in my situation. I have a Directv DVR R10 tivo unit. My Broadband Connection Is a Hughes Net DW7000 Satelite set up. As of this moment I don't have VOIP but I would love to have it If I knew it would work with my set up. Saying goodbye to my phone company would save me around $50.00 a month. According to Hughes net VOIP might work but with a slight delay. Is there anyone out there familiar with such a setup that combines VOIP, Directv Tivo, and a Sat. broadband connection?
I am not sure about any VoIP company other than Vonage, since it is the one I use, (over cable) but you have a 30 day trial that comes with it. You may want to call them directly and see what they have to say? If you do attempt the 30 day trial, ask first if you get the set up fee returned should you cancel before the trial is up. other wise the set up is close to $25. And should you decide to port your home number over to can it be reveresed should you cancel.

I did pull this statement off the ASK Vonage site

Quote:
Does Vonage service work with my DSL Satellite Internet connection?

Yes, our service generally works with DSL Satellite Internet connections or any Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) device (i.e., your home router). DSL requires Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) authentication ("username & password") to access the Internet so you will have to configure your Vonageadapter or home router for this service.

There may be some latency inherent on a satellite connection or line of sight issues that could affect audio quality when making calls through the Vonage service. Our calls require 90 kbps of consistent upload/download speed to make and receive calls through the Vonagenetwork.
Just remember you will have to adjust your DTiVo settings until it connects should you decide to go with Vonage or any other VoIP.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #596
luder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh
I've managed to get this working... sorta... and I wanted to tell people my experience with it, and maybe see if anyone has any advice.

I have an HDVR2, so my only solution is to use the external modem as described. I bought a one from ebay (28.8 US Robotics FAX modem). Tested the modem on a PC first. It worked just fine. I built the 1/8" headphone to DB25 cable that he described, basically exactly the same as he described. I happened to have a RJ45 to DB25 dongle. I wired it exactly as described, carefully noting which DB25 pins mapped to which RJ45 pins. I cut off 4 of the unused pins inside the DB25 dongle, stripped the ends and wrapped them together to make the cross connects on pins 4&5 and 6&20. I took an unused CAT5 cable and cut off about 12" on one end. I then took the wires on the CAT5 cable that were associated with the DB25 pins 2, 3, & 7 and stripped them.

At first I used an old pair of headphones as RedGrey did. But for some reason I couldn't get this to work. The headphones worked before I cut off the end, but as soon as I did, I'd lose continuity. The headphone cables, as one would expect, had a signal and a ground cable within them. The problem seemed to be that they were in too close proximity to each other and when I cut the cable it was just way too easy for them to contact each other. So I went to RatShack and bought one of their unwired connectors. I made sure to get the Rat Shack folks carefully point out to me which of the three leads on these things were tip, ring and base. I then soldered my stripped cat5 wires to each of those ends, and Voila. The DTiVo was able to make as many successful test calls as I wanted.

But! That's not the end of the story.

Right now it appears that my DTiVo is trying to download 3.1.1b upgrade. And this is a problem. When I use vonage, I occasionally get echos on the line. The modem does NOT like that. It starts to download, and then invariably, the RX light will eventually stop blinking. Then eventually, the modem will hangup the phone (probably initiated from the other end) and then eventually the DTiVo will give a status of "Failed. Call interrupted". Sometimes I can get the download to go for 40 minutes. Other times it will only go for 5 mins. But it always ends exactly the same way.

The end result of this is that, even though I'm able to complete a successful test call, because I haven't completed a successful "daily call" I'm still getting the NAG screens saying that I haven't succesfully completed a call since the ice age. (That's a slight embellishment on my part.)

I'm thinking of taking my tivo over to a friend's house with a regular phone line and using it just to complete the download. I think once I get past the download it won't be that big of a deal. But it would seem that Vonage does not have good enough sound quality for a 28.8 modem to download a DTiVo software update. I'm sure that it's good enough for much shorter calls.

I'm thinking of trying to force the modem to a slower speed to see if I can get it to work. Any other ideas as to what I might try?

The other question I have is will I eventually download the entire update piece by piece, or does the entire software update have to come through in a single phone call?

Edit: Added NAG screen info
Hey i think i know why it didnt do well, just b/c i had a experiance this once.. One time when my vacum sucked up the wires of my $80 dj headsets and i had to fix the wire.. There are two ways to prep the wire inorder to have a headset wire have a conituity you can connect it to a circuit board or wires with soldier if you play with soldier buy some rosin it makes the job 10x eaiser.. I used a solider gun (i used 100-1000w) and burn away the clear coat on the wire then dip the wire in soldier rosin and put soldier on it and your done.. Or you can do the getto way and use a razor and scratch the clear coat .. the key is to get the clear coat off the wires to have conituity hopes this helps your project...

I personally use Sunrocket for my voip and ,#034 works great !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by luder : 10-03-2006 at 09:09 PM.
luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #597
restart88

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottt
I wouldn't even think of trying VoIP with Sat broadband, especially if it only saves you $5.00 a month.
I do not understand that at all.

I'm on Vonage's 500 minute plan and it costs me like $15 a month, plus I have a virtual number that family can call to avoid toll charges and that's $5.

Verizon keeps trying to lure me back but can't even come close. Like $40 - $60 for comparable service and I'd still lose some features like email notification of calls and simultaneous ringing of my home & cell.

Now DSL would be a lot cheaper, but since I'm too far down the line I can't get DSL. But for me I wouldn't think of NOT having Vonage. My sat receivers don't mind one bit, nor does Tivo. Of course the broadband connection is much better for Tivo.

---------------------------------
Oops. "Sat broadband"

Sorry, yea you're probably right about that. Guess I'm not quite awake yet.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #598
tbeckner
TiVo Fan

FYI.

I have Vonage and use the Motorola VT2442 ATA. I had to do a Clear and Delete after one of the DirecTiVos (HDVR2) encountered a hardware error, which forced me to do a Guided Setup and phone connections. I used the VT2442, and it connected two calls out of four and finished the Guided Setup.

So, it appears that the VT2442 works 50% of the time with ZERO changes (one call was an 800 number and other call was local number, and each failed once).
(3) Hughes HDVR2 6.2
(2) Hughes SD-DVR80 6.2
(2) Buggy HR24 6/25/2011
DirecTV 10/94
tbeckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #599
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by restart88
I do not understand that at all.

I'm on Vonage's 500 minute plan and it costs me like $15 a month, plus I have a virtual number that family can call to avoid toll charges and that's $5.

Verizon keeps trying to lure me back but can't even come close. Like $40 - $60 for comparable service and I'd still lose some features like email notification of calls and simultaneous ringing of my home & cell.

Now DSL would be a lot cheaper, but since I'm too far down the line I can't get DSL. But for me I wouldn't think of NOT having Vonage. My sat receivers don't mind one bit, nor does Tivo. Of course the broadband connection is much better for Tivo.

---------------------------------
Oops. "Sat broadband"

Sorry, yea you're probably right about that. Guess I'm not quite awake yet.
I mis-read the original post that I responded to. He mentioned a $50.00 a month savings, I read that as $5.00.

I've had Vonage for almost two years now. I love the savings.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #600
restart88

What kills me about the Bells is they unoffically support bill cramming. At mom's, twice in 3 months they added roughly $15 in 3rd party charges that she never requested and they wanted her to contact the party and have them remove it claiming they (SBC/ ATT) were "not allowed" to remove the charge. I raised cain over it and they removed the 1st one and assured me they put blocks on her account so it would never happen again. Yet 3 months later they did it again - same company, different supposed service. Again I raised cain and eventually they removed it too. But who needs the grief? They wouldn't remove these charges until I contacted every regulatory agency I could think of.

Why? you may ask, would a Bell be so resistant to removing such charges? Because they rake in a lot of money from such erroneous billings just for collecting your money to pay these scum bags. And according to my internet search of the biller it appears to have actually been related to Sprint!

Then 2 months ago my sister accepted a LOCAL collect call lasting about 8 minutes from a payphone. They charged over $15!

I could add more examples but there's no escaping the fact that with Vonage you are MUCH safer from phone billing scams.