TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #2491
slydog75
Not all that sly

I'm not sure about the bridge, but I'd say you can go ahead and do the first phase now. All your normal functionality is still there between phases.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Mark Twain
slydog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:21 PM   #2492
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Sue
do you already have the Netgrar Powerline bridge?
If not, you might as well just buy a reccomened wireless B adapter since the speed will be nearly identical.
As for teh new tivo wireless G adapter, nope it won't work on a 6.2 DTivo.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 PM   #2493
Tenzarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
What's the error code? Is the adapter a version 1 or version 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower
Unfortunately, it looks as though the usb200m (at least v2) doesn't work with the usb 2.0 drivers (perhaps with 1.x) as well. I did a quick search through this thread and found a number of references to the usb200m not working. In short, buy a Netgear FA-120 it works!

Secondly, you'll need to telnet or serial connect to your Tivo and run the 51 killer script (/busybox/51killer.tcl) to get rid of the error message in NPL.
Rbautch- No error code, just message saying something needed my attention because the recorder would not work properly(the end of the message was clipped off though, could have been an error code # there). Its an adapter version 2.

Dieselpower- I must have missed that, maybe i got confused, and was reading a forum somewhere else that recommended the 200m, i thought for sure that was the right version. I returned it today and a fa120 should arrive tuesday.

Ill post back when i get the fa120, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

On a side note, is there perhaps a way to manually load a driver into the tivo that would make it compatible with the 200m? While the drive is mounted in the pc?
Also, as to the serial cable point, anyone have a link to a diy to make one? we talking a usb to db9 do it yourself or something?

Thanks,
~Tenz
Tenzarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #2494
Sue C.

Hi Gunny,

I already have one powerline bridge, but would need 2. One connects to the router and one to the TiVo.

I thought that using a wireless B adapter anywhere in a wireless G environment would slow the whole network down to wireless B speeds. Not sure where I got that idea though. If that's not true, I'll go wireless B.

Thanks Slydog… I may get started today.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #2495
hollepe

TiVo's IP address keeps getting changed.

HI,
I have DHCP turned off and am using static IP. I used the /enchancements/network.tcl script to change my IP, but after a few days it gets changed back to the IP I originally entered when I installed the Zipper. I also made sure the IP on the Hackman TivoWebplus netconfig is the same. Is there some other place the IP settings are kept?

Thanks!!!!
hollepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #2496
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollepe
HI,
I have DHCP turned off and am using static IP. I used the /enchancements/network.tcl script to change my IP, but after a few days it gets changed back to the IP I originally entered when I installed the Zipper. I also made sure the IP on the Hackman TivoWebplus netconfig is the same. Is there some other place the IP settings are kept?

Thanks!!!!
The following lines at the end of your author file that need to be deleted.

Code:
 "######### One-time Zipper network setup. May be deleted. ####################################" 
 "mount -o remount,rw /" 
 "tivosh /hacks/network.tcl $ipaddress $routerip $wless $ssid" 
 "mount -o remount,ro /"
The latest version of the enhancement script should have removed those lines, but go ahead and remove them manually. Another way to fix this is to delete the network.tcl file, and run the net-launch.sh file to set your IP params.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #2497
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzarian
Rbautch- No error code, just message saying something needed my attention because the recorder would not work properly(the end of the message was clipped off though, could have been an error code # there). Its an adapter version 2.

Dieselpower- I must have missed that, maybe i got confused, and was reading a forum somewhere else that recommended the 200m, i thought for sure that was the right version. I returned it today and a fa120 should arrive tuesday.

Ill post back when i get the fa120, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

On a side note, is there perhaps a way to manually load a driver into the tivo that would make it compatible with the 200m? While the drive is mounted in the pc?
Also, as to the serial cable point, anyone have a link to a diy to make one? we talking a usb to db9 do it yourself or something?

Thanks,
~Tenz
If you select the usb 2.0 driver install when you run the enhancement script (tweak.sh), the driver for the 200m ver.2 will get loaded.

or

Old 01-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #2498
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue C.
Hi Gunny,

I already have one powerline bridge, but would need 2. One connects to the router and one to the TiVo.

I thought that using a wireless B adapter anywhere in a wireless G environment would slow the whole network down to wireless B speeds. Not sure where I got that idea though. If that's not true, I'll go wireless B.

Thanks Slydog… I may get started today.
That is indeed true and a very good point.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:57 PM   #2499
Sue C.

Quote:
That is indeed true and a very good point.
Ok, I'm gonna try the powerline bridge then.

Only problem now is the ptvupgrade site seems to be down at the moment.

BTW, I noticed yesterday the the link under step 4 for the Tools CD does not open in Firefox. I was able to get the file by viewing the source code, though.

Thanks for the quick answers… wish me luck!
Old 01-08-2006, 05:05 PM   #2500
charlestwaters

Hey all... I am actually getting ready to switch to DTV from DN. Only reason being, is because a good friend has upgraded some of his equipment, and in the deal, the satellite company gave him the 3rd & 4th box, even though he only has 2 TVs - how nice of them.

So here's my ?. I now have 2 NIB HR10-250's, not more than 2 - 3 months old. Is there a way to tell what software version is on the box without going through the whole setup, first!? I still currently have DN and haven't upgraded yet! Going to do the install myself, so tomorrow I will have everything going.

What is the current software version on the 10-250!? And the "upgrade" this thread is speaking about, will that work with the current version of the software on the 250?

All I am basically looking for, is network instead of phone, and would be nice to be able to pull off programs, however, not neccessary!

Also, can I follow the steps in the 1st post of this forum on a Windows PC running XP, or does it have to be done on a PC running Linux?

Thanx in advance, everyone! I am learning buttloads from reading these forums!

--- Goobz!

------------------------------------------------------------

This is where America gets together to talk about the issues you...... REALLY care about. This talk show is NOT hosted by a Right Wing Waco, or Convicted Felon - NO. I am your host!

Last edited by charlestwaters : 01-08-2006 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Adding Another ?
charlestwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #2501
rbautch
User

Look udder messages and setup on the main tivo menu, then select system information to get your software version. You don't need a Linux box.

or

Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #2502
kevinE

Rezippered my HDVR2 today. Reason was 1 drive went bad and was getting freezing when FF or playing. Because I was going to start fresh with a 250G drive, I decided to use a fresh image from PTVUpgrade. Followed your directions exactly and am connected with all the enancements.

However, I now have no local channels. It seems the image channels that came with the image are now on my TiVo. Will this update automatically over night with the sat download?

BTW, it is really great how everyone helps you out on this forum. Special thanks to Gunnyman and rbautch!
1 DSR6000 (unhacked)
1 R10 (unhacked)
kevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #2503
gsr

Quote:
Look udder
As Bart Simpson would say, "Don't have a cow man" . Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #2504
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinE
Rezippered my HDVR2 today. Reason was 1 drive went bad and was getting freezing when FF or playing. Because I was going to start fresh with a 250G drive, I decided to use a fresh image from PTVUpgrade. Followed your directions exactly and am connected with all the enancements.

However, I now have no local channels. It seems the image channels that came with the image are now on my TiVo. Will this update automatically over night with the sat download?

BTW, it is really great how everyone helps you out on this forum. Special thanks to Gunnyman and rbautch!
Yes your locals will come back on their own, or if you GOTTA have em now, call 1800 directv and enter extension 711 and they will come back while you are on the phone.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #2505
Heckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselpower
I had the same message when I zippered a couple of days ago...
rbautch replied on the " Enhance Your Hacked Tivo With This Script" thread, so I posted additional information there... Here' s link to my post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=1#post3658876

Heckler
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #2506
Tenzarian

Quote:
If you select the usb 2.0 driver install when you run the enhancement script (tweak.sh), the driver for the 200m ver.2 will get loaded.

Zipper page said to run that script from telnet after the hdd was back in the tivo, your saying i should instead mount the drive in my pc, and sh tweak.sh? This will install the usb 2.0 drivers and then i can dump the drive back in the tivo and things will work as intended?

~Tenz
Old 01-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #2507
zardoz007

Thanks for clarifing that. Yes, D-Tivo is e-bay purchase.
zardoz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:48 AM   #2508
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Zipper page said to run that script from telnet after the hdd was back in the tivo, your saying i should instead mount the drive in my pc, and sh tweak.sh? This will install the usb 2.0 drivers and then i can dump the drive back in the tivo and things will work as intended?

~Tenz
Nope
The enhance script won't run while the drive is in the PC.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 AM   #2509
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Nope
The enhance script won't run while the drive is in the PC.
Poor Tenz, he needs to read "Catch 22". In order to load the drivers to use his 200m ver.2 he needs to hook up using telnet, which of course needs the 200m ver.2 hooked up in order to access the box.
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:57 AM   #2510
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

or get another adapter like an (all together now) Netgear FA120.
Or build a serial cable
Old 01-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #2511
jguy

Does anybody know why my USB ports have seemed to stop working? I have had zipper up and running for a few days with no problems. I am have a HR10-250 and im using the FA120. They stoped working after I tried adding a module to TWP and rebooted and tied to restart twp. I am no longer getting any lights on the FA120. Do I need to rezipper?
jguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #2512
jguy

also my CID seems to have stoped working. FYI in the system info. it says backdoors: Enabled!
jguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #2513
kevinE

I had the same problem on my HR10-250. I had rezippered and it still did not work. What I did is run the tweak uninstall from my pc, then rezippered. For some reason, that did the trick. Give it a try.
1 DSR6000 (unhacked)
1 R10 (unhacked)
kevinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #2514
Tenzarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
or get another adapter like an (all together now) Netgear FA120.
Or build a serial cable
Yeah yeah i know, like i said, fa120s in the mail. Again though, does anyone have a diy guide for a serial cable? Some kind of a usb to db9? or what we talking here?

~Tenz
Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #2515
Diana Collins

Quote:
Yeah yeah i know, like i said, fa120s in the mail. Again though, does anyone have a diy guide for a serial cable? Some kind of a usb to db9? or what we talking here?

~Tenz
Google is your friend. There are many schematics of serial cables on the web (they are DB9 to mini-phone plug). You can also buy one from Weaknees (and if you have a standalone, one came with your TiVo).

Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006
Diana Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #2516
charlestwaters

Modding DTivo v3.1.5f

Quote:
This is indeed the correct process.
So can someone post a quicky, for us newbies who just setup their DTV service today, the easy / quick / newbie way to mod the DTivo to get the updates and stuff via wireless network instead of Telco? And MRV would be nice, but not neccessary!

Model: HR10-250
Softw: 3.1.5fxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanx in Advance!
charlestwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #2517
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlestwaters
So can someone post a quicky, for us newbies who just setup their DTV service today, the easy / quick / newbie way to mod the DTivo to get the updates and stuff via wireless network instead of Telco? And MRV would be nice, but not neccessary!

Model: HR10-250
Softw: 3.1.5fxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanx in Advance!
Well wireless on the HR10-250 isn't really working, although, I beleive there are some complicated work arounds. First of all, you really don't ever have to call out. So getting networked will allow you to use TivoWebPlus, add files, etc.
And the MRV isn't possible on the HR10 either, it runs the old software that didn't support that.

Check out this post for the software that will add nice features to the HR10.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&&#post3504194

Other than that, read the first post of this thread and you should be good to go.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #2518
Tivogre

Success! The ZIPPER is AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre
OK.... I just purchased 4 DVR80s from valueelectronics.com

Robert is a killer customer service guy; he gave me a great deal on shipping.

I also ordered myself 4 250gb HDs, and 4 USB ethernet adapters.

I'm ready to start zippering.

I have one question before I embark...

If I have the zipper image the hard drives, will it automatically expand them to use the full 250GB?

If I were to connect 2 drives while running the zipper (A and B), would MSF be set up correctly to use all space on BOTH drives? I ask, because I'm considering using the stock drives as additional "B" drives in each unit.

If not, what must I do to manually expand?

Thanks!

I just finished setting up the last of my 4 new DVR-80s using the zipper.

Each one got a new 250GB drive and an FA120 network adapter.

The Zipper software and instructions worked perfectly! Bravo.

I am AMAZED at the MRV / HMO capabilities; I CAN'T BELIEVE that DTV was willfully witholding this OS from us! This was definitely a worthwile project.

A couple of notes to help others following the zipper path (these MAY have been in the thread earlier):

1. The ZIPPER will automatically expand the image file to take advantage of the full size of your hard drive. No options / flags required.

2. Use the FA120 network adapter. It can be had for as little as $12.95 at justdeals.com (http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/fa120r.html ). I originally purchased the linksys version. It was awful. besides not working correctly on the post zipper / pre tweaks Tivo, the network cable wouldn't stay plugged in. Again, BUY tHE FA120s!!!

3. Using the Instantcake image for 6.2, I always had to run /busybox/51killer.tcl (per the instructions) to clear the "Error 51". Until this was done, Now Playing wouldn't open.

4. After all of the hacking was done, I called DIRECTV and used the 711 message code to get MY locals re-established (vs. the Chicago locals from the Instantcake image).

5. When doing more than one box with caller ID, you must choose ONE box to be the SERVER. For all the OTHER boxes you must edit /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author and comment out the line that starts ncidd (the server process). You must ALSO edit the /var/hack/etc/ncid/ncid.conf file on each of the client boxes (line 11) to set Host to the IP address of the SERVER box. After making these two changes for each CLIENT box, you must reboot the box. Only the single SERVER box needs a phone line connected for ALL boxes to get on-screen caller-ID.

6. You'll want to download the Tivo desktop software from tivo.com (http://www.tivo.com/desktop/) OR javaHMO from sourceforge.net (http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/) to take full advantage of the Music and Photos options in HMO.

7. The joe editor does not install correctly with the ZIPPER.
You will need to execute these commands:

tar -zxvf /enhancements/joe.tgz -C /enhancements
cp /enhancements/.joerc /

joe will then be available.

8. crond was not starting on my boxes, even though it was in rc.sysinit.author, and I could start it manually. I had to change the "sleep 30" in the rc.sysinit.author file to "sleep 45". Crond now starts on reboot.

If I remember any other issues, I'll come back and edit.

Hopefully these will help some folks out.

Thanks a MILLION to the script creators.

Now, off to learn about mfs_ftp and other related goodies...
Samsung 72", 56", 4 x 32" HDTV
Sony 40" HDTV
iRule + iTach Remotes

Last edited by Tivogre : 01-12-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Tivogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:58 AM   #2519
Rob00GT
This space for rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivogre
6. You'll want to download the Tivo desktop software (from tivo.com) OR javaHMO from soundforge.net to take full advantage of the Music and Photos options in HMO.
Nice recap for a very long thread, but the link to JavaHMO is actually on SourceForge.net I think you may have fat-fingered the name of the site.

As for me, I'm installing JavaHMO now and planning to play with it for a few days to get my mp3 collection available, and maybe some slide shows of the kids.
Rob00GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #2520
NETGUY

HR10-250 zippered ..looking for guidance

hey all,
i haven't been on avsforums in a loooong time so just catching up on the thread ..please excuse me if i missed this somehow

i removed the old drive from the dtivo , put in a new 400 gig , downloaded ( purchased) the correct cds from ptvupgrade and finished the upgrade

went through instructions and zippered ( successfully according to the script )

dtivo works fine , i have more hours .. ( had initial issues " hardware problem " according to the message, did a "clear and delete everything" and it fixed it )

issue .. network is still not up with linksys adaptor .. ( this adaptor , ver 1 of the 200m i think ) works fine in another SA Series 2 i have

what am i missing .. while typing this i realized can the "clear and delete " be responsible for this ?

thanks all
NETGUY is offline   Reply With Quote