TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 PM   #1051
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuriel
I saw these at the local best buy on sale and wanted the HD Recording capabilities
and dual tuners, but don't want to use DirecTV's service. Will the Tivo capabilities and other features still work with just OTA inputs?

Thanks!

Ray
All of the meaningful functionality of the HR10-250 HD TiVo is lost if you don't have an active DirecTV subscription. Even the "on sale" price is partly a DirecTV rebate only available after you subscribe and commit to two years or pay an early out penalty.

That said, I have two HD TiVos and I would not part with them until something equal or better (in MY judgement) comes along at little or no cost to me.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #1052
Budget_HT
Heavy User (of TiVo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm_at_tivocomm
OK, so I'm trying to figure out all this new-satellites-and-service stuff. I called DTV about the status of the current HD-with-TiVo box, and was told by two different people that there will be an upgrade coming to that box that would enable it to work with the MPEG-4 satellites. Once upgraded, the box will be able to receive all HD content offered by DTV, with the content fully TiVo-able. They were uncertain when the MPEG-4 services would be coming online and when the upgrade would be available, which could raise questions about whether a gap might emerge between the new services coming online and the upgrade coming out, and that's of course a little bothersome. And, of course, the world could change completely. But unless I'm missing something, this sounds encouraging, and even close to the Right Thing. I called TiVo to check this out at their end, but they're closed now. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, for those of you who know more about this than I (which is almost everyone, I expect) -- am I missing something? This is sounding much less dire than what I had been hearing up to now. Of course, that's the job of the people on the DTV phone lines...
This kind of misinformation from DirecTV CSRs is unforgiveable.

The HR10-250 will never work with MPEG-4. The "upgrade" is really a replacement HD DVR that is NOT TiVo-software-based, but rather NDS-software-based from a sister company of DirecTV.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #1053
cplittle06

I have the HR10-250 connected via HDMI to a Samsung DLP (HL-R4266W), but the reception on non-HD channels is worse than most tube TVs (fuzzy, pixilation which I assume is caused by format conversion). Are there any configurable options via the DirecTV box, TV, cabling (switch to component cables), etc. that will improve my picture?

To take the next step, I guess I could purchase an OTA antenna but do not want to put anymore money into this setup than I already have. What's the latest news on HD local rollout to North Carolina (specifically the Triad)?
cplittle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #1054
cplittle06

Sorry, reposted as separate thread. Please ignore previous post!
cplittle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 PM   #1055
jrm_at_tivocomm

More on supposed DirecTV / TiVo "upgrade":

[see previous posting about DTV telling me that an upgrade for their current HD/TiVo box would make it work with the new MPEG-4 service]

So, I called TiVo today to ask about this question from their end. The rep I spoke to said that she didn't know anything about DTV's plans ("they're our competitor, after all"), but that TiVo had recently announced that they would be shipping an HD-capable TiVo box. She said there had been a press release about this, but I couldn't find anything like that in the press section of the TiVo site.

I >>really<< like not knowing who to believe here. It's not like substantial amounts of money are at play here...
jrm_at_tivocomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 PM   #1056
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I do not think this applies to DVR/TiVo systems
Swapout of DVR/TiVo HD is supposed to be June 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
BTW, I don't think anyone is actively taking advantage of anyone; I think that there IS confusion and that people are just filling in the gaps as best they can.
If people read this forum they'll know all the facts. I may have to write a transitional FAQ but that would be worthless since this forum will be closed soon.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #1057
feldon23
MythBuster

Folks, there is NO MYSTERY. People are choosing to confuse themselves instead of read the facts. Don't waste your time calling DirecTV, TiVo, or anyone else. The people you talk to are insulated from the facts.

TiVo is developing an HD TiVo for Comcast.
DirecTV/NDS is developing an HD DVR for DirecTV.
and never the twain shall meet.

DirecTV is not getting any more MPEG-2 channels (HBO HD, Showtime HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN, ABC HD, NBC HD, CBS HD) and will eventually turn those all off and provide them in MPEG-4 only.

Starting in December 2005, DirecTV started offering local channels in High Definition in MPEG-4 format to its subscribers in the 12 top cities. This requires a massive new dish and a new MPEG-4 receiver which cannot do any PVR functions. It's just a tuner.

The MPEG-4 DirecTV DVR comes out in Summer 2006. It will not be a TiVo.

Anyone buying an HR10-250, the DirecTV TiVo HD receiver (which cannot do MPEG-4) is gambling that DirecTV will offer a buyback/tradein to their new HD MPEG-4 DVR when it becomes available in Summer 2006. A few people who already have no trouble receiving local channels in HD with an ordinary antenna will be satisfied with the TiVo HR10-250 for the time being until DirecTV starts offering MPEG-4 exclusive channels.

Last edited by feldon23 : 12-22-2005 at 09:09 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #1058
dialleft

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23

Anyone buying an HR10-250, the DirecTV TiVo HD receiver (which cannot do MPEG-4) is gambling that DirecTV will offer a buyback/tradein to their new HD MPEG-4 DVR when it becomes available in Summer 2006.
Perhaps no longer a gamble. I just received the HR 10-250 this week. When I ordered it from D* I asked whether it will soon be obsolete. The answer was, "Yes, probably in 6-12 months." They offered to replace it for a total $14.95 fee, including any required dish upgrade. She made a permanent note in my file, and she gave me her employee number.
dialleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:34 PM   #1059
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:

Anyone buying an HR10-250, the DirecTV TiVo HD receiver (which cannot do MPEG-4) is gambling that DirecTV will offer a buyback/tradein to their new HD MPEG-4 DVR when it becomes available in Summer 2006.
I don't understand why you call it a gamble when DirecTV has been quoted many times as saying that they will offer existing HD-Tivo owners a trade-in option for little or no money...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:26 AM   #1060
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
She made a permanent note in my file
I hope you understand the difference between making a permanent note in your file, and giving you written confirmation of what she said.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #1061
sosaescobar

Well I've had my HR10-250 since October. I'm just hearing about this today. I guess that's what I get for not coming to this site often. Now, for the current HR10-250 owners. What are you guys planning on doing when we can't get HD channels anymore? From what I've read this new DirectTV dvr is getting a bad rap so far. I like DTV and don't plan on leaving them. But I hope their new box is comparable to the Tivos.
(1) Sony 51" Widescreen rear projection tv
(1) Mits 65" Widescreen rear projection tv
sosaescobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:02 PM   #1062
ddrultramix

Confused...

I am so confused, I was told (I think by BestBuy) that Tivo cant record HDTV yet.
ddrultramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #1063
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrultramix
I am so confused, I was told (I think by BestBuy) that Tivo cant record HDTV yet.

The HR10-250 Directv HD Tivo can indeed record HD. It is true that standalone Tivos cannot, but that should change in 2006.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:10 PM   #1064
ddrultramix

When will the time come where everyone has to switch to HDTV? (Or will that not ever happen?)
ddrultramix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #1065
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrultramix
When will the time come where everyone has to switch to HDTV? (Or will that not ever happen?)

There is no requirement to switch to HDTV. Over-the-air TV stations are required to go digital-only (in early 2009 as it stands now). There is no requirement for them to transmit HDTV over their digital channel if they don't want to.

None of this affects cable or satellite channels either. They can go HD whenever they want to, but there is no requirement.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:16 PM   #1066
sosaescobar

They use to say '06. But I just read something recently that says that '06 date is being pushed back. I'm hearing '09 now. But you know how things change.
(1) Sony 51" Widescreen rear projection tv
(1) Mits 65" Widescreen rear projection tv

Last edited by sosaescobar : 12-23-2005 at 09:24 PM.
sosaescobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:17 PM   #1067
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Folks, there is NO MYSTERY. People are choosing to confuse themselves instead of read the facts. Don't waste your time calling DirecTV, TiVo, or anyone else. The people you talk to are insulated from the facts.

DirecTV is not getting any more MPEG-2 channels (HBO HD, Showtime HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPN, ABC HD, NBC HD, CBS HD) and will eventually turn those all off and provide them in MPEG-4 only.

Starting in December 2005, DirecTV started offering local channels in High Definition in MPEG-4 format to its subscribers in the 12 top cities. This requires a massive new dish and a new MPEG-4 receiver which cannot do any PVR functions. It's just a tuner.

Anyone buying an HR10-250, the DirecTV TiVo HD receiver (which cannot do MPEG-4) is gambling that DirecTV will offer a buyback/tradein to their new HD MPEG-4 DVR when it becomes available in Summer 2006. A few people who already have no trouble receiving local channels in HD with an ordinary antenna will be satisfied with the TiVo HR10-250 for the time being until DirecTV starts offering MPEG-4 exclusive channels.
I think anyone who wants an HD DVR who doesn't purchase an HR10-250 is gambling that they are going to be happy with whatever DirecTV releases this summer.

Personally, my desire to have an MPEG4 box specifically for locals is outweighed by all of the other content which is already available in MPEG2 and will continue to be for the foreseeable future (ie until DirecTV chooses to shutdown the MPEG2 stream, rendering every non MPEG4 box on the network unusable).

I wouldn't count on any buyback/tradein scenario whatsoever when it comes to DVRs from DirecTV.

I wouldn't count on the MPEG2 stream going away any time soon.

I wouldn't worry about purchasing an HR10-250 unless HD locals were particularly important to you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:50 AM   #1068
jakegoat

Turning the MPEG-2 feed off

Quote:
Does anyone have a good idea when this switch over will occur?

I am slightly myopic in my HD use with my HR10-250. I watch HBO HD mostly, and some Travel HD... not the full spread at all.

Best,
Jakegoat
jakegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #1069
cheer
Registered Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakegoat
Does anyone have a good idea when this switch over will occur?

I am slightly myopic in my HD use with my HR10-250. I watch HBO HD mostly, and some Travel HD... not the full spread at all.
DirecTV hasn't announced that they will do this EVER, let alone given a schedule. I gotta believe you're safe for at least a couple more years.
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Perhaps, after all, America never has been discovered. I myself would say that it had merely been detected.
cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:44 PM   #1070
goku4658

this thread makes me nervous...i just got $300 for xmas to use for tv, and my new sony 42hdtv comes tomorrow. decisions, decisons..
goku4658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:05 AM   #1071
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

mine arrived yesterday and while it's only one day, i'm very, very happy with it.

i hooked it up to my toshiba rdxs-32 (sd hdd dvd recorder) so i can burn dvd's. the pq setting on the tivo has to be set at 480i but with the original source being so clear, the pq i end up with is just fine although not hd.

i also have an hd expressvu receiver so guess what toy i'm eyeing next.

the directv guide is slow but not as slow as i thought it would be after reading about it for a week or so here and elsewhere. i'm thinking it might get slower as time goes on but i don't bother with season passes because besides nfl football, i'm only interested in recording movies.

the "list guide" is actually kinda cool for me because i can aim at one particular hd channel, like hdnet movies, and choose a bunch of movies to record.

by the way, i spoke to my buddy at directv yesterday while he activated the tivo for me and he said they are well aware of the complaints and concerns from their customers regarding the separation from tivo. he said the company will do everything they can to keep these customers happy, for what it's worth.

edit: i've had hd locals since i "moved" to new york city back in the summer.
joetoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #1072
danryan28

Arrow Will never go back to D*

I will personally wait until Tivo launches the HDTV SA Tivo.

Since I can post links yet, you can see the press release at tivo /cms_static/press_19.html

Then I will be able to through away this piece of garbage hd8300.

I had D* for 7 years, with Tivo for 4 of those, and I left because of high def Locals. I was planning on going back, but now I will just wait for the SA.

Thanks again D* (for nothing useful)
danryan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #1073
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauB
2007?
Guess he'll miss the season finale of the Sopranos (in HD)...

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:53 PM   #1074
maharg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauB
From (dated today):
Tivo CES Press Release today
Unless I'm missing something, that press release is dated 2005 .

Old 01-04-2006, 05:03 PM   #1075
BeauB

LOL - I think the 1/06 /05 got me, guess realizing that today was the 4th would have helped too...
BeauB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #1076
jantomas

hdmi.component out

What to do to get both HDMI and Component out to work together so that two HDTV units can be fed?
jantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #1077
starbucksfreak

Quote:

I stopped by the DirecTV booth at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show on Friday, saw the replacement unit for the HR10-250 and was told by one of the many white-clad DirecTV reps that DirecTV would indeed be swapping out the old HR10-250s for the new unit.
starbucksfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 04:10 PM   #1078
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip
emains, i would educate myself a little more before making such a blunt and unnecessary comment. any TIVO is compatible with an HDTV, i have been watching my SD tivo for two years now on my HDTV. i will upgrade soon to an HD tivo which will deliver me even better pictures on certain programing. and unlike some HD cable boxes the HDMI output actually works....

welcome to the forum, read up a little and you will see what's going on.

i have not watched LIVE tv for two years now. and i am loving every moment of it on my HDTV !
I want to make sure I understand. I just bought a 40"LCD HDTV, I have a regular SD Tivo and the picture is terrible. I didn't expect to receive HD TV with a SD Tivo, but I didn't think the picture would be horrible either. How did you get that to work?
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:37 PM   #1079
joetoronto
HR10-250 Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRBack
I want to make sure I understand. I just bought a 40"LCD HDTV, I have a regular SD Tivo and the picture is terrible. I didn't expect to receive HD TV with a SD Tivo, but I didn't think the picture would be horrible either. How did you get that to work?
what type of video cable are you using, RangersRBack?
joetoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:09 AM   #1080
RangersRBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto
what type of video cable are you using, RangersRBack?
It looks like we have one set of cables (two audio and one video) going from one Tivo output to the TV, and another set with two audio and an S-Video going to the other TV input.

Thanks for your help!
RangersRBack is offline   Reply With Quote