Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-19-2005, 03:20 PM   #271
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatheadWRX
I have read them numerous times, but they do not seem to give a definative answer that it will work.

My 24004A is 2 1/2 years old.

TiVo TCD240040. TCD24004A, TCD240080, TCD24008A, TCD240140 [7.1b-01-2-240]

You may use any drive or drives larger than 30GB. This version of InstantCake supports LBA48 (drives larger than 137GB) and has been tested to run on a drive set as large as 2x400GB.

Clear as mud? ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:32 PM   #272
ycartf
I Samuel 16:7

Can I use LBA48 with Instantcake?

I have a Philips HDR212 which I used InstantCake to upgrade to 2 new 120GB HDs. My question is - Can I utilize more than 137GB of bigger HDs (LBA48?) while only using InstantCake (and NOT having to use more complicated MFS tools or the like)? If so, is this a new version of InstantCake from the one I bought several months ago? What are the limitations of HD size? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
ycartf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #273
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycartf
I have a Philips HDR212 which I used InstantCake to upgrade to 2 new 120GB HDs. My question is - Can I utilize more than 137GB of bigger HDs (LBA48?) while only using InstantCake (and NOT having to use more complicated MFS tools or the like)? If so, is this a new version of InstantCake from the one I bought several months ago? What are the limitations of HD size? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yes. Please see the InstantCake release notes for more information on this.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 PM   #274
ycartf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
Yes. Please see the InstantCake release notes for more information on this.
Thanks. I had seen what you referred to, but in my way of reading things as more complicated than they are, I wanted to make sure I did not have to use Linux / MFS tools / etc (anything else BESIDES the InstantCake CD). Would the CD I bought a few months ago (April of 2005) have this LBA48 support where all I have to do is cook a drive (up to 250GB) using the CD?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 11:49 PM   #275
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycartf
Thanks. I had seen what you referred to, but in my way of reading things as more complicated than they are, I wanted to make sure I did not have to use Linux / MFS tools / etc (anything else BESIDES the InstantCake CD). Would the CD I bought a few months ago (April of 2005) have this LBA48 support where all I have to do is cook a drive (up to 250GB) using the CD?

Thanks
You don't have to do anything other than use the InstantCake CD you already have for a 250GB drive; LBA48 support is already part of that release.

Old 12-20-2005, 05:21 AM   #276
ycartf

THANKYOU!

I LOVE InstantCake!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #277
Michael_M

Could you remind me about the sway file size when you go to 200g and 300g drive?

is it still -s 127?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:14 AM   #278
azitnay

For a 200GB drive, -s 127 is definitely fine. For a 300GB drive, you might want to look into -s 150 and tpip.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 AM   #279
tecumuman

Upgrade Troubles :(

I am going through the process of upgrading my HR 10-250 so I can enable the USB ports on the back in order to utilize FTP and Telnet to transfer files.

I first made a backup of the original drive and then proceeded to perform the modifications on the new drive. I was successful in taking the 3.1.5 kernel fromt he PTV CD to hcd6 and then applying killhdinitrd. After I did that, I made sure the drive booted properly in the TIVO box.

The next step is where the problems are. When I attempt to mount hcd7 to /mnt/mnt7 I get the error message that I need to specify the file system. So instead of using hcd 7, I used hcd 4 and added the files to enable the USB ports and start the FTP and Telnet protocols. I then took the drive and booted it to the TIVO box. It booted up once just fine; however, when I shut it down and plugged in the Linksys 200M and rebooted it, it now is in an endless cycle of powering up. It is stuck on the "Welcome Powering Up" screen. If I remove the USB drive and reboot it, it still never gets past the Welcome screen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

This is why we make backups!!!
tecumuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #280
frodneb

IDE/ATA vs. SATA Upgrade question????

I have an eMachines T5026 that I am trying to use to upgrade my TiVo 80GB to a 300GB. My T5025 has 1 Standard IDE port for the DVD, CD drives and 1 SATA port for HD. I also have an additional IDE RAID (2 port) controller card for my 2nd HD. Any one had any luck upgrading TiVo drives in the type of configuration? When I run the PTV or the Weaknees or the IC programs they are all looking for hdc which is on the additional controller...and the upgrade software will not see the IDE controller? Any suggestions...any experience with this configuation? Also, can the upgrade software be run if I put the new TiVo drive on the IDE cable instead of one of the DVD/CD drives? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich
frodneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:14 PM   #281
frodneb

Ok, let's try this...(considering that I am unable to get any help on this problem)

I can us the cntrl c command to break into the script and then the BlessTiVo /dev/hdb command to set my output of the IC to hdb rather than hdc...how do I resume the IC script after I break in and make the changes?

Rich
frodneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #282
HomeUser

Sorry I don't know anything about Instant Cake

This is what I would do Create a full Linux run form CD with with the drivers for your IDE RAID card and add MFSTools to it. Then use the MFSBackup --> MFSRestore option.

Or you might find something in one of these two threads
mount /dev/hdg1 /mnt fails!
Weaknees interactive upgrade - "No CD-ROM found"
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #283
mattack

Does anybody here know about EFI support in Linux? Basically -- is it a simple fix to an existing CD image to make it bootable on an EFI machine? (e.g. Intel-based Mac)

I found a project on sourceforge that involves EFI and Linux, but I don't quite understand this whole thing. Would it be just one file changed on the CD, or is this a 'boot blocks' kind of thing?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #284
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

I haven't seen any mention about the LBA48 kernel (copykern from LB48 CD onto a series 1 TiVo) and how safe it is to use with TiVo online upgrades. If TiVo updates the kernel in a Series 1 unit which has adopted an LBA48 kernel to use a larger drive, the results would be disasterous.

1. I've seen a couple of hints that the TiVo app software is different from the kernel, and the TiVo app software is what's updated in a TiVo update, not the kernel. Is this true?

2. If so, Is there any time when TiVo would update the actual kernel, that we have to watch out for?

Todd Miller says there will be problems. He implies that the TiVo software is synonymous with the kernel: http://www.courtesan.com/tivo/bigdisk.html

"Note that using an LBA48 kernel on your TiVo means that you will have issues when a new version of the TiVo software comes out since the kernel shipped with the new software will not be able to see the entire disk which may cause serious corruption of the media filesystem the TiVo uses to store programs "

Yet I don't see anything about this in the PTVUpgrade documentation.

Sony SAT-T60 1x320GB LBA48 300hrs
Sony SVR2000 1x160GB LBA48 ~200hrs Basic
(on Sony SAT-B55)
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #285
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
I haven't seen any mention about the LBA48 kernel (copykern from LB48 CD onto a series 1 TiVo) and how safe it is to use with TiVo online upgrades. If TiVo updates the kernel in a Series 1 unit which has adopted an LBA48 kernel to use a larger drive, the results would be disasterous.

1. I've seen a couple of hints that the TiVo app software is different from the kernel, and the TiVo app software is what's updated in a TiVo update, not the kernel. Is this true?

2. If so, Is there any time when TiVo would update the actual kernel, that we have to watch out for?

Todd Miller says there will be problems. He implies that the TiVo software is synonymous with the kernel: http://www.courtesan.com/tivo/bigdisk.html

"Note that using an LBA48 kernel on your TiVo means that you will have issues when a new version of the TiVo software comes out since the kernel shipped with the new software will not be able to see the entire disk which may cause serious corruption of the media filesystem the TiVo uses to store programs "

Yet I don't see anything about this in the PTVUpgrade documentation.

You've misunderstood "the risk" in a variety of ways. The point being made is that if you install an LBA48 kernel on a filesystem created in an LBA48 environment, all will work fine. If there is a software upgrade with a version of software that is NON-LBA48, then you will have problems.

This point is moot for several reasons. First and foremost, there are no longer any software updates for the Series1 system. Its been an EOL product for something like THREE years. Secondly, if there were an update, most likely it would be an LBA48 version of the software anyway - all TiVo OS'es have been LBA48 for some time now, as well.

There is no reason to document something like this; its a non-issue...

Old 01-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #286
InspectorGadget
TiVo Changed My Life

Quote:
First and foremost, there are no longer any software updates for the Series1 system. Its been an EOL product for something like THREE years. Secondly, if there were an update, most likely it would be an LBA48 version of the software anyway - all TiVo OS'es have been LBA48 for some time now, as well.
Ahhh... I've had the feeling of being an orphan for some time now but I just didn't know where it was coming from! In this case, it's just what I needed.

Quote:
There is no reason to document something like this; its a non-issue...
Well, thanks for spelling it out here for this novice. I will sleep much easier.

And extra thanks to all your good work on the upgrade disks and bringing the LBA48 kernel to the masses. My upgrade went in without a hitch.

Sony SAT-T60 1x320GB LBA48 300hrs
Sony SVR2000 1x160GB LBA48 ~200hrs Basic
(on Sony SAT-B55)
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #287
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorGadget
Ahhh... I've had the feeling of being an orphan for some time now but I just didn't know where it was coming from! In this case, it's just what I needed.

Well, thanks for spelling it out here for this novice. I will sleep much easier.

And extra thanks to all your good work on the upgrade disks and bringing the LBA48 kernel to the masses. My upgrade went in without a hitch.
Ah - thank you!

And thanks to Todd Miller for making the LBA48 kernel available, as well as tpip. All my script does is make it easy to install it...

Sleep easy - folks are only now starting to realize that the older TiVo systems are actually the better ones when it comes to "upgradability" -- a Series1 DirecTiVo with a CacheCard in it will outshine any current Series2 unit in terms of the things you can do, and the ease with which you can do it.

Old 01-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #288
john wiens

Arrow Tivo reboot after expanding to fit new hard drive

Help, I have backup and restore my tivo image to a new 320GB drive without any problems. But after doing the mfsadd -x /dev/hdb command, Tivo will report that there is a problem and it may take 3 hrs to fix and then it reboot, now it reboot about every 2 min. I then restore the image again this time with this command mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb and it does the same thing.

I following this document http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html and used PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.01.

I had to increase the swap space to 160. See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=283677
Premier (For Sale) 320GB v20.3.7.1a
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg

Last edited by john wiens : 01-28-2006 at 08:18 PM.
john wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 07:45 AM   #289
HomeUser

You need the -r4 option in mfsrestore for the larger partitions.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:56 PM   #290
skyler4321

I have a samsung sir-4080r.
I would like to change the drive to a 300GB and maybe add a second drive later. Do I need to do any lba 48 stuff to make this work?
Should I use PTVupgrade Universal Boot CD v 11 or PTVupgrade LBA48 CD v4.01?
Thanks
Skyler
skyler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #291
wallsbk

So, I booted off of the CD with my 30GB Tivo disk and my new, 200GB WD disk in the computer.

The Tivo disk is a Quantum Fireball lct10 30. It shows up on hdb, with 20000 sectors (10MB).

Now, that sort of sounds locked, but I can see the disk fine by booting off of a non-LBA48 kernel disk. :-(

So, I booted off of one of those other disks, and did
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | msfrestore -s256 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

This worked fine, but only for the limited piece of the drive, of course.

So, I booted off this CD again, did copykern, did mfsadd -x. It tells me:
Current estimated standalone siz: 147 hours
Nothing to add!

mfsinfo says:
The MFS volume set contains 4 partitions
/dev/hdd10
MFS Partition Size 512MiB
/dev/hdd11
MFS Partition Size: 27661MiB
/dev/hdd12
MFS Partition Size: 0MiB
/dev/hdd13
MFS Partition Size: 102204MiB
Total MFS volume size: 130378MiB
Estimate hours in a standalone TiVo: 147

Any hints on what I can do to use all the space?
wallsbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 PM   #292
john wiens

What model Tivo. I had the same problem with my older Tivo model 140 but my new 540 model has no problem seeing all my 320Gb drive. Check out http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hins...to/index9.html Read step 2

ATA and TiVo kernel confinements limit using at most 137GB (128GiB) of any drives installed in your TiVo. Larger drives will function but you are currently limited to a maximum of 2 drives x 137GB (128GiB) or 274GB (256GiB) of usable space (exception are the Pioneer DVD/TiVo, HR10-250, DirecTiVo R10, TiVo TCD540XXX models, and Humax models with large drive support that can address larger drives).
Premier (For Sale) 320GB v20.3.7.1a
Roamio 3TB v20.3.7.2
Stream v19.1.3b-01-6
Mini
iPad TiVo app
PyTiVo & kmttg
john wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #293
wallsbk

Philips HDR312 30-hour Series 1 TiVo.

Using the PTVupgrade LBA48 CD Version 4.01AVS
wallsbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #294
jack22182

Help with DirecTV DVR39

I have having an awful time trying to replace two drives in a DVR39 with a single large new drive while keeping old recordings intact.

I am using the PTV Upgrade CD with LBA support.

The current configuration uses the original Maxtor 40GB drive as "A", and a WD120 as "B". This upgrade was performed about two years ago and still works fine.

My goal is to get the existing A and B data (including programming) to a new 250GB Hitachi drive. Then, once that seems stable, I would like to incorporate the WD120 back into the system as a "new" B drive (but this does not need to happen until much later).

I have tried several mfsbackup|mfsrestore commands but each time I get the "Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself" error. For example:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdc

mfsbackup reports 152 MB uncompressed backup size, and even if both the old A and B drives were at capacity (total 160 GB) I should be able to fit that on the new 250GB drive.

I have searched and found other instances where this error is encountered, but I am unable to tell if there is a resolution. From what I've heard I have a hunch that I will not be able to do this and save my recordings at the same time.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jack in Vienna, VA
jack22182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:17 AM   #295
madhack

I'm not so sure that the -x option to mfsrestore works in that scenario; I had a similar problem last night. My suggestion is to try doing the expand separately:

# mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -zpi - /dev/hdc
# mfsadd -x /dev/hdc

I wasn't able to do a full mfsbackup of my entire system because my second drive has serious errors on it; later, a shrunken backup failed to boot. Backing up without -x and then expanding separately eventually got me booting, and I imagine it would have worked if I'd been able to back up all my streams, too.
madhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #296
epster

Re-Boots From Sub-Menus

My dual drive (upgraded) DSR6000 primary drive went south. Wanting a quick fix, I put in a 160GB samsung and put on my original back-up image and expanded it. Did not modify the kernel (this time). Booted fine, reported 147hrs.
Software updated to 3.10c . Still working fine.
Now...All menus seem to work EXCEPT any of the "Programs to Record" sub menus (toDoList, Season Pass, etc.) The machine just reboots when I access any of them. I did a full reset.
Any ideas??
Thanks - Pat
Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #297
cg2

can't boot pc to linux

i downloaded the $5 lba48 cd image from ptv - burned iso - got the pc to boot from the cd.

I see the usual startup items (uncompressing, etc)

then it detects my hard drive (/dev/hda 30gb) and cd rom (/dev/hdc)

next it says

ide0 at (......) irq 10
ide1 at (......) irq 15

and then it sits forever - I never get to the linux prompt.

Can anyone provide any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
cg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #298
Richard Chalk

Accessing disks above hdd - Computers with SATA HDs

With most of the newer PCs coming with SATA hard drives, there is only one IDE controller, and it is usually used for one or two CD or DVD drives. Installing a Promise (Maxtor) IDE controller is recognized by the boot process, but the attached drives are listed as hde and hdf.

Apparently, the commands only work with drives a, b, c, and d. There is a post in another thread which addresses the problem by way of manually entering the "mknod" commands, but it would be really helpful if this were to happen automatically.

Any chance of getting the upgrade CD updated to add the necessary setup automatically? It would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:05 PM   #299
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Chalk
With most of the newer PCs coming with SATA hard drives, there is only one IDE controller, and it is usually used for one or two CD or DVD drives. Installing a Promise (Maxtor) IDE controller is recognized by the boot process, but the attached drives are listed as hde and hdf.

Apparently, the commands only work with drives a, b, c, and d. There is a post in another thread which addresses the problem by way of manually entering the "mknod" commands, but it would be really helpful if this were to happen automatically.

Any chance of getting the upgrade CD updated to add the necessary setup automatically? It would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
Richard
If someone can document how to do that, I would happily incorporate it into the CD; I think part of it is an MFStools limitation, however.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #300
Richard Chalk

Quote:
If someone can document how to do that, I would happily incorporate it into the CD; I think part of it is an MFStools limitation, however.
If you do a search for "promise" in the upgrade forum, you will see a thread beginning with the title "mount /dev/hdg1 /mnt fails!" or something close to that. There is a reply by JamieP which tells what the additional commands are required, and from the reply, it appears to work.

The link is http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hlight=promise

I will be happy to "beta test" if you can give it a try...

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote