TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #241
Spotty53

fixed problem with boot CD

Found my problem.... I didn't realize that the WinXP machine that I downloaded to had blocked the file. I unblocked it then re-burned the CD and it works fine!
Still learning all the nuances of XP ..
Thanks for your help, dsmturbo!
Spotty53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 08:37 PM   #242
bmatson

I wrote (a few posts ago) that...

Quote:
I then ran copykern (no arguments... I never saw any doc specifying arguments to this command), and assumed it would properly initialize the 300 Mb swap. But among the output was a suspicious line that said:

"tpip: Unknown boot block signature: 0x0"
"Kernel Updated"
I have now figured out that the swap indeed did not initialize. (Login to Tivo with bash, "cat /var/log/kernel | grep swap" and I got the swap error messages detailed in the thread regarding MFS 2.0 swap problems). BTW, I'm not posting there (yet) because I started this post here, regarding a copykern issue.

I believe I just need to initialize the swap space I reserved with "mfsrestore -s 300 ...". Is there a way to do this without removing the drive again? I do have a bash prompt. I'm not sure if tpip is on the Tivo (amazingly, I don't have "ls" on the Tivo to look for it), or if I can execute it from the Tivo.

Is there any other way? If I have to remove the drive, what is the precise tpip command, and how can I check if I actually reserved 300 Mb for swap? Thanks.
bmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #243
Krookut

NM my recent posts, I purchased Instant Cake for the restore, now have a 250 GB Maxtor QuickView drive in my SVR-2000, going to use "best" quality for all recordings from now on
Krookut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #244
dsmturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty53
Found my problem.... I didn't realize that the WinXP machine that I downloaded to had blocked the file. I unblocked it then re-burned the CD and it works fine!
Still learning all the nuances of XP ..
Thanks for your help, dsmturbo!
Glad you got it working..and you are right..WinXP can be pretty strange at times
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #245
brentboren

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdon
I upgraded my Series 1 HDR112 to a 250gig hard drive using Ver 4.0 of the PTVUgrade CD. All went well, except went I attempted to Copykern. I got the following error:

tpip: unknown boot block signature: ox132027f0

The Tivo works OK, but the Kernel has definitely not been replaced on the Tivo. Anyone know what this error might mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookut
I also got this message after restoring to a 250GB drive and running copykern.

Smacdon, could you tell me how to use tpip to transfer the kernel? I don't know what commands to use with tpip.

Or at least how do I make the drive usable, even if only for 137 GB? Thanks for any help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatson
...snip...I then ran copykern (no arguments... I never saw any doc specifying arguments to this command), and assumed it would properly initialize the 300 Mb swap. But among the output was a suspicious line that said:

"tpip: Unknown boot block signature: 0x0"
"Kernel Updated"

Does this indicate a failure in tpip? Did I not initialize swap properly? How can I tell? I don't really want to replace the drive in my SAT T-60 until I know for sure. ...snip...
I followed the treads posted above in the last few days trying to get past the same problem (tpip: Unknown boot block signature: 0x0...). Smacdon indicated the source of the error was somehow related to copykern. After digging into this for a bit, it seems that copykern makes some assumptions about where (and if) the cdrom ends up being mounted during the boot process. I downloaded 2 different versions of the PTV upgrade tools and they both made different - but incorrect - assumptions about where to find the kernel files that were to be used as replacement sources.

If you search through the cd to find the correct replacement kernel, note its name and path, and enter the same string generated by copykern with the corrected kernel name and path, tpip should work as advertised. I verified this on the 2 different PTV boot CDs I have been using and was able to make them both work.

My 2 cents. I hope this helps others save some of the debug time I have spent.
Brent
brentboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #246
LarryH

Help!!!!!

Well, most of the day is gone with no success. I have a Series 2 DTV TiVo that had been upgraded to a 160G drive by Weaknees. The drive was flaky so I wanted to upgrade it myself. (Bad idea?)

I bought a 200G Maxtor and connected it as Primary Master. The Weaknees 160 is connected as Secondary Master.

First time through I tried the msftools and realized it wouldn't see past the 137 limit. So I downloaded Weaknees ISO. Thing kept hanging on Verifying DMI pool.

So next, I dl'd the PTVupgrade ISO. Booted like a champ and found my disks and identified the size for each. But each and every time I enter commands, I keep getting:

Restore failed: Backup target not large enough for entire backup by itself.

I've tried the Weaknees string:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hda

I've tried the strings I found on Tyger's site with the same result.

I'm really lost now. I'd love some help. Thanks.

Larry
LarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #247
mattack

What exactly does the 'byteswap' option mean on these CDs? I mean, I understand what byte swapping *is*, of course.

I don't know when you'll use it with tivos and when you won't. Is it a S1 vs S2 issue?

I tried booting the 4.01 CD on a 'developer transition system' (Apple Intel machine), and it hangs while booting.. Possibly because one of the things mentioned (twice) is:
keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?

of course it's not present, since the machine has a USB keyboard.

I'm now wondering if I can install Linux on the existing (non-tivo of course) hard drive, and run the tools from the CD..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #248
azitnay

Yes, S1 will want byteswapped, S2 not.

You should be able to run the mfstool binary from virtually any Linux system.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #249
sammyplo

networking

when u mention that extra files need to be added to the boot disk to add networking to a series 2 does that mean if a basic install is done then i will not be able to connect my tivo to my computer
sammyplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #250
azitnay

Not sure what you're talking about... Series2's have networking by default, you just need a USB adapter.

Drew
Old 12-01-2005, 02:20 PM   #251
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Not sure what you're talking about... Series2's have networking by default, you just need a USB adapter.

Drew
But DirecTivo series 2 units don't, unless their hacked.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:32 AM   #252
khyberman

I just purchased a toshiba rs-tx60 ans want to upgrate to version 7.0 from 5.4 which is currently on the system.

Please advice how I can do this, do I need to do this over a phone line?

thanks,
khyberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #253
azitnay

As long as you can connect to the TiVo service, you can get the upgrade (doesn't matter if it's via phone or ethernet).

Put your TiVo on the 7.2.1 priority list to get 7.2.1 faster:

http://research.tivo.com/72.1priority/

Drew
Old 12-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #254
windhorny

I bought a Phillips series 1 not knowing anything about tivos. I bought it because I didnt want t subscribed tivo, just a digital vcr. Is it a pain in the ass to make a new drive using XP? It is a refurbished model that comes with no drive, so i have nothing to copy over. Please help. i am about to just buy one from Weekknees but even they arent sure if I can use it without a subscription. Input?

thanks
windhorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:45 AM   #255
azitnay

You won't use Windows XP itself in your upgrade process, you'll use a boot CD. Check out http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php for instructions.

Since you say you don't even have a drive, you'll need to find an image somewhere.

Drew
Old 12-09-2005, 10:34 PM   #256
gloco101

commands?

if u dont want to backup and restore, what are the commands to copy the original drive to the new one. all the guides say is what to type to backup, restore then add...
gloco101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 PM   #257
HomeUser

DANGEROUS no checking for a valid TiVo drive and will destroy (over-write) any data on hdY "cp /dev/hdX /dev/hdY"

A little safer and expands to fill the new drive.
mfsbackup -Tsao - /dev/hdX | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdZ

Try following azitnay link http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com/index.php to the WeaKnees "Interactive TiVo Upgrade Instructions".
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:21 AM   #258
gloco101

if i only have the tivo drive and the new hd (i had to take out my usual hd) what is it backing up a nd restoring to. dont i just want to move files from the tivo drive to the new drive?
gloco101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #259
HomeUser

If you have it booting the MFSTools CD from the USB drive.

Backup to a FAT32 partition on the New drive then transfer the backup to your main HD for archival.

Just mfsbackup and pipe "|" the output "-o -" to the input "-i -" of mfsrestore to the new hard drive then keep the original drive as your backup.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 08:47 AM   #260
sammyplo

the weakness guide says to use mfsbackup -f 9999 -so - /dev/hdx | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdz will this work if i dont use the weakness cd and am just using msftools?
sammyplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #261
azitnay

Yes, the mfstool commands aren't specific to the WeaKnees CD, and can be used on the PTVupgrade CD or any other method of running MFS Tools 2.0.

Drew
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM   #262
windhorny

O.k., so I downloaded Instant Cake and it seems to work really well on any drive i throw at it. But when I stick the drive in the tivo it doesnt go any further than the start up screen.

Does instant cake put the software image on for you? I assume it does since I remember something about version 3.01. How would I tell if ti were the tivo that was bad?
windhorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 PM   #263
ycartf
I Samuel 16:7

I will begin by saying I HAVE scanned the posts in this section.

After limited success at upgrading with MFS tools, old HD and the like, I broke down and bought an InstantCake CD for my S1 Philips 212. I used it (SIMPLE - and with great success) to make a dual-drive setup consisting of 2-120GB HDs. I would like to know if there is some way to utilize this LBA48 with the InstantCake CD and not having to use MFS tools? I would potentially want to do this for installing a 160GB HD (or possibly 2) in the future. I have limited "savviness" at the more complicated workings of this, so please forgive me. Thanks for any and all help or knowledge anyone may be able to give me.
ycartf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #264
Michael_M

What size drive or drives to use in SAT-60?

I have a Sony SAT T-60 that I upgraded along time ago the single 120HD in it now is failing -- so I have the opportunity to upgrade beyone 120 that didn't exist years ago - I'll probably use instacake to do the upgrade

My question is this -- what is the best scenario -- I don't need an outrageous amount of storage - I basically want to save movies

One (1) 300 gig drive
Two (2) 160 gig drives

I am wondering about 2 drives in so far as they are married and if one fails then you have complications with both --

thanks
Old 12-18-2005, 10:10 PM   #265
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_M
I have a Sony SAT T-60 that I upgraded along time ago the single 120HD in it now is failing -- so I have the opportunity to upgrade beyone 120 that didn't exist years ago - I'll probably use instacake to do the upgrade

My question is this -- what is the best scenario -- I don't need an outrageous amount of storage - I basically want to save movies

One (1) 300 gig drive
Two (2) 160 gig drives

I am wondering about 2 drives in so far as they are married and if one fails then you have complications with both --

thanks
One drive is better than two.. statistically, with two drives, your chance of a drive failure is twice that of a drive failure if you are only using one drive. With that said, its not *that* big a difference overall - whatever you pick: ensure you run manufacturer's diagnostics on your drive prior to installing it in your TiVo (we recommend the 'advanced' and 'low-level format' tests, whenever possible...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:20 PM   #266
PhatheadWRX

tivoupgrade, I have a TCD 24004A and was upgraded with a second drive that has just failed. I ordered your 240XXX [7.1b] InstantCake. That will work for me, correct? It is an older TiVo, but I did have the latest version on it when it failed Friday.

I know the 7.1b has LBA48 to work for my new 250 GB drive I just ordered. I'm pretty sure it will all work, just would be nice to get some reassurance from you
Old 12-18-2005, 10:46 PM   #267
Michael_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
One drive is better than two.. statistically, with two drives, your chance of a drive failure is twice that of a drive failure if you are only using one drive. With that said, its not *that* big a difference overall - whatever you pick: ensure you run manufacturer's diagnostics on your drive prior to installing it in your TiVo (we recommend the 'advanced' and 'low-level format' tests, whenever possible...
Thanks for the views! -- I have a cachecard to be installed the i purchased from PTVupgrade -- It seems a tight very tight fit inside the T60 with one drive let alone 2

What is your experience / learnings about putting the cachecard in the T-60 with 2 drives?

thanks

Michael
Old 12-18-2005, 11:16 PM   #268
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

a bit off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatheadWRX
tivoupgrade, I have a TCD 24004A and was upgraded with a second drive that has just failed. I ordered your 240XXX [7.1b] InstantCake. That will work for me, correct? It is an older TiVo, but I did have the latest version on it when it failed Friday.

I know the 7.1b has LBA48 to work for my new 250 GB drive I just ordered. I'm pretty sure it will all work, just would be nice to get some reassurance from you

yes, it should work; please refer to the release notes for more information

Old 12-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #269
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

a bit off-topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_M
Thanks for the views! -- I have a cachecard to be installed the i purchased from PTVupgrade -- It seems a tight very tight fit inside the T60 with one drive let alone 2

What is your experience / learnings about putting the cachecard in the T-60 with 2 drives?

thanks

Michael
We don't recommend it; we also don't sell dual-drive kits with the CacheCard for the SAT-T60 specifically for that reason. (are you sure you didn't purchase that CacheCard from 9thTee? - we don't sell them separately). With that said, it IS possible to install both drives in the unit with a CacheCard, but it is a very tight fit, and you could break something. I'd recommend you start a separate thread in the underground if you have problems or questions about that - this thread is really for support of our upgrade CD.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #270
PhatheadWRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
yes, it should work; please refer to the release notes for more information
I have read them numerous times, but they do not seem to give a definative answer that it will work.

My 24004A is 2 1/2 years old.