TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #301
XXSASSXX31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn
You don't have a Tivo to be full. You have a DVR. It's like the difference between Kleenex and tissue paper. There is no way that I'm aware of to transfer programs from the Motorola DVR you have, and if there is, the Tivo community forums isn't a likely place to find help doing so, sorry.
It is technically a Tivo.

Cox Digital Cable said it's Tivo. I'm being charged $10 a month for "Tivo Service" so it is Tivo.

My Motorola DCT 6412 also has a USB connection so obviously you can hook it up to the computer to transfer files, I just don't know how. It also had three outlets (yellow, red, white) so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Again, it technically is a Tivo.
XXSASSXX31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #302
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

If you want to insist that it's a Tivo, go ahead. If you can find the word Tivo on your bill or any of Cox's materials, I'd be glad to stand corrected. If you could really get a dual tuner unit from Cox with Tivo software in it, there'd be some really happy folks around here. You've been confused by the fact that many folks use the name Tivo when referring to any Digital Video Recorder, much as many folks use the word Kleenex to refer to any facial tissue.

The USB port on your Motorola DVR doesn't in itself indicate you can use it to transport files to or from the unit.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM   #303
XXSASSXX31

Quote:
If you want to insist that it's a Tivo, go ahead. If you can find the word Tivo on your bill or any of Cox's materials, I'd be glad to stand corrected. If you could really get a dual tuner unit from Cox with Tivo software in it, there'd be some really happy folks around here. You've been confused by the fact that many folks use the name Tivo when referring to any Digital Video Recorder, much as many folks use the word Kleenex to refer to any facial tissue.

The USB port on your Motorola DVR doesn't in itself indicate you can use it to transport files to or from the unit.
Why else would there be a USB port? There is a USB port to transport files to the computer. The user guide says that you can transfer files, it just does not say how.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #304
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparrish
I have a Hughes (Phillips?) SD-DVR-120 running software version 6.2-01-2-351, I bought a Belkin Wireless Adapter that did nothing, then I bought the Linksys WUSB12 as instructed at Tivo web site, it shows a power light when connected and flashes activity one time, however, under setup only shows phone setup even after a system reboot, anyone have any ideas? I was pretty certain this model was a Series 2, am I mistaken? Someone with my setup, please help if you can. Thanks.
You hae a DirecTV model. Ethernet is enabled only on standalone models.

I believe it is possible to get your model working via ethernet by hacking it, but you'll have to see the TiVo Underground forum for details on that.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:45 PM   #305
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
It is technically a Tivo.

Cox Digital Cable said it's Tivo. I'm being charged $10 a month for "Tivo Service" so it is Tivo.

My Motorola DCT 6412 also has a USB connection so obviously you can hook it up to the computer to transfer files, I just don't know how. It also had three outlets (yellow, red, white) so if anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Again, it technically is a Tivo.
Rest assured that you do -not- have a TiVo. Cox lied to you.

I'd imagine TiVo, Inc. might want to hear about this, so that they could sue Cox for copyright infringement. Hell, since it's apparently on your bill, you might even want to sue them for falsifying financial records or something.

Perhaps I'm being a bit facetious with regard to all this sue talk, but improperly using TiVo, Inc.'s name is a subject many of us take pretty seriously.

As for your original question, just hook the A/V outputs of your Cox DVR to a video capture card on a computer, and transfer that way.

Drew
Old 09-19-2005, 05:01 PM   #306
XXSASSXX31

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Rest assured that you do -not- have a TiVo. Cox lied to you.

I'd imagine TiVo, Inc. might want to hear about this, so that they could sue Cox for copyright infringement. Hell, since it's apparently on your bill, you might even want to sue them for falsifying financial records or something.

Perhaps I'm being a bit facetious with regard to all this sue talk, but improperly using TiVo, Inc.'s name is a subject many of us take pretty seriously.

As for your original question, just hook the A/V outputs of your Cox DVR to a video capture card on a computer, and transfer that way.

Drew
Maybe I made a mistake. I thought that is what my dad's bill had said or at least they told me it was on a Tivo but oh well.

COX said that the USB Port and AV Outlets are "inactive" I believe (the yellow white red outlets) but would it work if I put a video capture card on my computer if COX said Motorola made them "inactive"?

I just have so many playoff Pacer basketball games from last year I really want on my computer
Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 PM   #307
azitnay

I don't doubt that some genius at Cox told you it was a TiVo (either due to ignorance or shady sales tactics), but I would be a bit surprised to actually see it on your bill.

Regardless, the USB ports probably are inactive, but I don't understand how the A/V outputs are inactive... They're the things you're using to hook the DVR up to the TV, right? Or is there perhaps a second set of A/V outputs that is indeed inactive? Worst-case, you could split the A/V outputs you're currently using to connect to the TV, and send one side to the TV and the other to the computer.

Lastly, this is not only off-topic and starting to hijack this thread, but it's also off-topic for this entire site. Thus, this is as far as I'll take it. Good luck.

Drew
Old 09-26-2005, 05:36 AM   #308
alexzzz

tivo coorporate support sucks...
alexzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #309
tzac11

Hello everyone, first time posting, amazing site. I just recently purchased a Tivo Series 2 TCD240040. I like most here want to set it up on my wireless network.

I currently have a Netgear Wgr614na 802.11 (g) router. I was curious to know if I can use this router or do I have to get a 802.11 (b?) also from reading the posts it appears that the MA111 netgear card is no good. Does anyone have this router and what usb adapter do they recommend? Other than the adapter is there anything else I need?

All help is highly appreciated...
tzac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #310
azitnay

Even if you go with an 802.11b adapter, an 802.11g router should be fine, as long as you have it running in dual b/g mode.

Drew
Old 10-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #311
Pisser

question for you guys.
Running 2-pionners on a usb200M v1 (57&810) and both are software version 7.2. One is upstairs on a linksys ethernet bridge and the one downstairs is plugged directly into the linksys 54g router. The router is set for both b&g and the transfer between the 2 is a little slow but tolerable.
My pc is running a linksys pci wireless card and my problem is the pc side. Whenever I transfer with tivo desktop 2.2 (from the downstairs tivo) it connects for a couple of minutes and then stops. On the taskbar (bottom right) it tells me in that stupid bubble thing, that I'm now connected. I have dsl, so I never left the connection. When running straight internet I'm fine, but tivo transfers somehow disconnect me and I'm never able to transfer more than 300 megs.
Any clues???
TIA

Last edited by Pisser : 10-08-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Pisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #312
MassD

Does the Linksys router have up to date firmware? Because it sounds like something is wrong with your router. Do you ever have problems downloading large files from the internet? I seem to remember that some Linksys routers were flaky when it came to large transfers.... I think they released some updates intended to solve the issue. You could be running into similar problems. Because the wired connections with the two Tivo's should not interfere with the wireless connection to the PC.

I have a Linksys WRT54G myself.. two wireless B Tivos, a wireless G PC, and a Vonage router plugged into one of the ports... and the only connectivity issues I get is when the B adapters on the Tivo start talking, which steps the 54G down (mixed mode) and I see my PC go from a 54MBit connection to a 32Mb.... but it has never dumped out like you mention.... last night I was transferred a file from one Tivo to the other, my wife was on the phone, and I was poking about on the PC... that's a lot of bits going to and fro across the router and it didn't blink.

FWIW: When your Tivo connects to your PC, it not using your DSL connection anyhow, so that being up or down has little affect.

Last edited by MassD : 10-11-2005 at 02:33 PM.
MassD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #313
Pisser

MassD, your absolutely correct. My firmware needed to be upgraded. I was talking to tivo tech support and they wanted me to run a static ip address and open certain ports. So I called linksys on my flaky router and how to enable certain ports to be open. So after a 1/2 an hour with the linksys tech, they checked my firmware and had me download the upgrade. After the reboot of everything, I'm finally working flawlessly. No dropouts. Now I know to check for updates!!!!

Thanks MassD.......
Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 PM   #314
MassD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisser
MassD, your absolutely correct.
OF COURSE I AM!!! heh

But I am glad to hear that the firmware upgrade took care of the drops. I try to check Linksys every so often to see if there is a new firmware package out there.... sometimes they add in some nifty new features (like Quality of Service and such) that make my life a bit easier since I rely so much on it.
MassD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #315
Ashtangi

SMC Wireless Adapter

Has anyone tried the SMC SMCWUSBT-G card with a Series2/7.2?

See: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=v...scid=&pid=1467
Ashtangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #316
fatbagger

I am probably posting this in the wrong section, so be kind. I am not new to the tivo but I have a problem. I switched to vonage and can't get a call to work. How do I determine which series receiver I have? I've looked for setup help and can't find what I need. I know success is sketchy but if I have to set up via my broadband I will. I can't seem to find that either. Can someone direct me where to go for set up issues. TIA Dave
fatbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #317
cashnout

OK, this is a "basic" question. I've spent 1/2 hour on the tivo site and cannot figure it out. I am considering buying a unit with the lifetime tivo basic but it appears that I need to get the tivo plus to get the $150 rebate. What are the difference in features? You would think that would be an easy thing to find on thier website.

I sure hope that the service is easier to use than the website. I couldn't even find a place to email them with my questions. Maybe it's just me, and it is there, but I couldn't find it.
cashnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #318
azitnay

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...lic/tv1199.htm

Drew
Old 11-22-2005, 07:20 AM   #319
reeselasvegas

I need advice on setting up a wireless system. I am very new to the idea of wireless. I want to do this to get vonage. I have 1 p.c. on broadband, 1 series 2 tivo hooked up to the phone, and one phone. What all do I need that is compatable with tivo and vonage and how do I hook it up. I would prefer just the basic equipment, nothing fancy or overly expensive.
Thanks for any help!
Reese
reeselasvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #320
glassjane@yahoo.

skipping instead of fast forward

Good afternoon,
I am a bit confused with my TiVo. My son-in-law has a setting on his TiVo (DVR thru his satellite company) where he can "skip" instead of fast forward. He has it set for 30 seconds at a time or 1 minute at a time. How do I do this?
I have a Humax with the DVD burner. I am a novice, so please keep it simple. My system is not thru cable or satellite. I think I blew it! I should have gotten my system thru cable. Although it's not available yet, where I live.

Jane
glassjane@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #321
glassjane@yahoo.

wireless TiVo

Good Afternoon,
TiVo and this forum are new to me. Some people think I'm a computer geek, other's think I'm illiterate. So, here goes a question.

First: I have a Humax DVD Recorder using TiVo service.

Second: Why would I want my TiVo wireless? I have a desktop, laptop and they are wireless. BUT what benefits would there be if my TiVo was wireless?

I was hoping to be able to record 2 programs and watch a 3rd, but I now understand I can't do this unless I have a DVR service. OR attach a VCR to the system! I was hoping to get rid of my VCR's.

Thanks

Jane
glassjane@yahoo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #322
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjane@yahoo.
Good afternoon,
I am a bit confused with my TiVo. My son-in-law has a setting on his TiVo (DVR thru his satellite company) where he can "skip" instead of fast forward. He has it set for 30 seconds at a time or 1 minute at a time. How do I do this?
I have a Humax with the DVD burner. I am a novice, so please keep it simple. My system is not thru cable or satellite. I think I blew it! I should have gotten my system thru cable. Although it's not available yet, where I live.

Jane
First of all, this is totally off-topic for this thread.

To answer your question, though, you can enable 30-second skip on your Humax by following these instructions:

http://www.weaknees.com/30/

Drew
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #323
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassjane@yahoo.
Good Afternoon,
TiVo and this forum are new to me. Some people think I'm a computer geek, other's think I'm illiterate. So, here goes a question.

First: I have a Humax DVD Recorder using TiVo service.

Second: Why would I want my TiVo wireless? I have a desktop, laptop and they are wireless. BUT what benefits would there be if my TiVo was wireless?

I was hoping to be able to record 2 programs and watch a 3rd, but I now understand I can't do this unless I have a DVR service. OR attach a VCR to the system! I was hoping to get rid of my VCR's.

Thanks

Jane
If you can and are willing to run an ethernet cable to the TiVo, do it in favor of wireless. Wireless is simply a convenient way for people who don't want to or can't run wires.

Your Humax can't record two programs at once, no matter what. But you can often hook it up so that you can at least watch live TV while the Humax is recording something.

Drew
Old 12-03-2005, 07:21 PM   #324
Gene S

They changed the wireless compatible list? Granted its been along time since I checked.

I thought I would be a good son and buy a Tivo2 for my parents for Christmas.
Checking the compatible list I notice only the Linksys WUSB12 is listed. I've could have sworn the WUSB11 was there, as I have 2 of them, and got one for my sisters Tivo as well.

Since I'm shopping online for these adapters...

[rant on] Why oh why can't Tivo update the boxes with updated USB drivers, as you can't find ANY of these adapters in a B&M store!! Wireless USB is mature enough now, even for Unix, for this problem to still be around. [/rant off]

Should I try to get an WUSB11 or try another adapter? I liked that the WUSB11 was connected to a cable so you could move it from behind to Tivo for better reception.
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #325
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

You need to click on the link below the recommended list for the complete list, which includes several revisions of the WUSB11.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #326
Gene S

Quote:
You need to click on the link below the recommended list for the complete list, which includes several revisions of the WUSB11.
Excellent! Thanks!
Gene S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #327
nevaldo3

mac osx 10.4.2 not compatable with Tivo desktop?

I'm planning on setting up tivo to go with a netgear wireless router mr814v2, and a netgear usb 2.0 wg111 adapter as suggested by tivo. I was about to download the tivo desktop and saw that tiger 10.4 was not compatable. Does that mean I can't use the home network feature. That would bum me out. I have two series 2 boxes. Thanks
nevaldo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #328
azitnay

Though your question couldn't have less to do with this thread, it appears people are discussing this issue (which I don't personally know anything about) at http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=255524.

Drew
Old 12-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #329
eaglewing

I have a working network adapter. When I use the phone line and TIVO site Online Scheduling I have no problems. When I use the approved network adapter, the TIVO is happy but when I use TIVO site online scheduling I get this message. Oops! We are unable to determine your channel lineup for this DVR. Make sure you have completed Guided Setup. Please choose another DVR or call Customer Support at 1-877-367-8486.
When I call TIVO support they say that since I upgraded my TIVO that's the problem. But it isn't since the phone line works fine.
Any suggestions on get TIVO site online scheduling working while using the network adapter?
Steve
eaglewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #330
kt421

Set up tip

This may have already been mentioned.

I had some trouble getting the Tivo box to hook up to my wireless network (D-Link dl-624, netgear wg111) and inadvertantly fixed the problem by plugging the wireless adaptor into my desktop computer, configuring the adapter with the desktop (including inputting the WEP key) and then plugging the adaptor into the Tivo. Prior to using the desktop, I tried to configure the adaptor using the tivo box and it just would not connect.
kt421 is offline   Reply With Quote