TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-25-2005, 06:28 PM   #1021
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTivoUser
Is there any logic to switch to SD recording if I'm having signal issues on OTA?
no. if the signal fades, you're SOL...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:13 AM   #1022
jelberse

Question Future of HD Tivo + Directv

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon23
It is. This was announced several months ago. I just formalized it by including it in this FAQ.

Also correct.

Correct. a non-TiVo replacement DVR will be made available in summer 2006. For an annoying 6+ months, the new HD channels will be available but not recordable.

DirecTV is handling this ALL WRONG.

If it's any consolation, I'm hearing rumors that DirecTV will replace your DTiVo or HDTV TiVo for free with their new DirecTV/NDS DVRs.

We have NO IDEA how all this MPEG-4 stuff is going to shake out. We may need new multiswitches, more/new wiring, new dishes, etc.
Question: you note a non-Tivo replacement DVR will be made available in 2006. Then you say the new HD programs will not be recordable. I take it this means that the new DVR only records standard resolution. The question is: given the current (non) relationship between Tivo and Directv, is there likely to be a new integrated Directv HD Tivo at some point? How about just any HD Tivo that works with Directv? Does anyone know?

Thanks.
jelberse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #1023
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelberse
Question: you note a non-Tivo replacement DVR will be made available in 2006. Then you say the new HD programs will not be recordable. I take it this means that the new DVR only records standard resolution. The question is: given the current (non) relationship between Tivo and Directv, is there likely to be a new integrated Directv HD Tivo at some point? How about just any HD Tivo that works with Directv? Does anyone know?

Thanks.
There will be no HD DVR for DirecTV for 8-10 months that can record anything off the new Spaceway HDTV satellites because of their MPEG-4 format. No TiVo can record them and the HD DVR from DirecTV's own shop, NDS, is 8-10 months away.

DirecTV has all but severed their contract with TiVo. Do not expect any future DirecTV-integrated TiVo products.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #1024
christoc

Quote:
There will be no HD DVR for DirecTV for 8-10 months that can record anything off the new Spaceway HDTV satellites because of their MPEG-4 format. No TiVo can record them and the HD DVR from DirecTV's own shop, NDS, is 8-10 months away.
Wow, I'm glad I read here first, I was going to pick up a HD Tivo for DirectTV in the next week or so to go with my new plasma TV. Guess now I'll look for another alternative.

That sucks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
christoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #1025
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoc
Wow, I'm glad I read here first, I was going to pick up a HD Tivo for DirectTV in the next week or so to go with my new plasma TV. Guess now I'll look for another alternative.

That sucks
Seems like all the more reason to pick one up unless you are not in market that has good MPEG2 and OTA coverage.

From everything I'm hearing, DirecTV will continue to sell TiVo systems for the forseeable future, but not be proactive in Marketing them. It sure does seem to me that the new stuff DirecTV will be marketing is much more generic and geared towards "regular" DirecTV customers and those who might be comparing with the "comparable" Comcast offerings.

Obviously I have a different perspective, as a vendor who has something to sell today, but unless I'm missing something, there isn't much of a reason to not consider purchasing something like an HR10-250 today unless you place much higher value on local market channels that will only be available in MPEG4 vs the OTA and MPEG2 content that is out there today... am I missing something here?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tivoupgrade : 11-11-2005 at 06:09 PM.
tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 10:03 AM   #1026
DoubleDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie

1) I couldn't get any signal strength to come up for OTA, regardless of channel chosen, which of course probably doesn't matter much since the channels seem to be coming in OK.

You have to use the digital channel/UHF counterpart ie in my area:
KDLH - CBS - Analog 3 - Digital 33
KBJR - NBC - Analog 6 - Digital 19
WDSE - PBS - Analog 8 - Digital 38
WDIO - ABC - Analog 10 - Digital 43
KQDS - FOX - Analog 21 - Digital 17

I just figured out the channel issue- while in the guide, press info, and select channels you receive.

I setup the volume to control my yamaha receiver after I programmed the TV and it works fine.

I have a total Newb question..... Do you have to call DirectTV to activate your Tivo service? ie, to use Tivo.com to schedule a program? or is what I see what I get?

Thanks

Last edited by DoubleDown : 11-12-2005 at 10:28 AM.
DoubleDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:31 AM   #1027
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

Thank you for a terrific overview of HDTV and TiVo. This may have been covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it, so I'll ask here.

What is the future of TiVo when HDTV becomes the only signal available?

I understand that people will be able to buy converters so that their old sets can receive the signal, but what does that mean for people (like me) bringing the satellite signal in through a DirecTivo or through a satellite receiver plugged into a standalone TiVo (also me)?

Will DirecTV continue to beam down conventional signals or will they all be HD? If HD, will there be a converter available that will feed into our current equipment? Or are we doomed to replace it all?

In advance, I thank you for your insights.

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 AM   #1028
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortlandPaw
Thank you for a terrific overview of HDTV and TiVo. This may have been covered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it, so I'll ask here.

What is the future of TiVo when HDTV becomes the only signal available?

I understand that people will be able to buy converters so that their old sets can receive the signal, but what does that mean for people (like me) bringing the satellite signal in through a DirecTivo or through a satellite receiver plugged into a standalone TiVo (also me)?

Will DirecTV continue to beam down conventional signals or will they all be HD? If HD, will there be a converter available that will feed into our current equipment? Or are we doomed to replace it all?

In advance, I thank you for your insights.
It will be a long time before all channels are HD. I think you are referring to the FCC mandate that all over the air (OTA) signals switch to digital. That will have zero impact on DirecTV as it only applies to Networks broadcasting signals over the airwaves. By the time every channel becomes HD your DirecTivo will be a distant memory.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #1029
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

That's a relief and it makes sense. Now if we can only assure that DirecTV continues to support TiVo, we'll be all set. Thanks for the info.

Chebeague Island, Maine
There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.
PortlandPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #1030
gregftlaud

can we use the hr10-250 with new mpeg4 dish?

when my paricular market upgrades and they come out and put up the new mpeg4 dish....will it still work with my hr10-250 other than receiving any new hd channels dtv adds to their lineup?

basically i know i can still use my hr10 to record locals ota...but will i still be able to receive the total choice plus package channels with the mpeg4 technology with my hr10-250?

greg
gregftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:06 PM   #1031
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregftlaud
when my paricular market upgrades and they come out and put up the new mpeg4 dish....will it still work with my hr10-250 other than receiving any new hd channels dtv adds to their lineup?

basically i know i can still use my hr10 to record locals ota...but will i still be able to receive the total choice plus package channels with the mpeg4 technology with my hr10-250?
The technology is compatible, however the new 5-LNB Ka-band dish uses the frequency ranges above and below the existing used frequencies for the Ka-band satellite signals. While you can probably still diplex OTA signals on lines feeding non-MPEG4/Ka-band receivers, you won't be able to get an OTA signal to the new receivers using diplexers without sacrificing the ability to tune some Ka-band signals -- which may or may not be tolerated well by the new receivers.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #1032
JHanafin

Question

I just bought a DLP HDTV set and I have an HDTV cable box from Cablevision... But an older Series 1 Sony standalone TiVo. I understand it will only play back content in standard definition.

Now forgive the ignorance... I've been reading the thread, but I just want to make sure... I'd like to buy an HDTV Tivo, but what I'm reading in this thread is that it's only available for DirecTV and there are no plans for a standalone HDTV TiVo?

If so, do you have any suggestions for recording HDTV?

I have a feeling I may need to sack the TiVo altogether. It seems like it won't be able to output a decent-enough picture for the new set. (Set would be too good for it, IOW... or I'd be able to see artifacts or whatever.)
JHanafin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #1033
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHanafin
.... Now forgive the ignorance... I've been reading the thread, but I just want to make sure... I'd like to buy an HDTV Tivo, but what I'm reading in this thread is that it's only available for DirecTV and there are no plans for a standalone HDTV TiVo? ....

See this thread for more information on the upcoming HD TiVo.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #1034
emains

Tivo and HDTV

Why would anyone want to get a tivo now when they are not compatible with HDTV. I certainly would discourage anyone that I know from getting one now. Everyone is going to want to have HDTV and want to have a DVR that works with it.
emains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:39 PM   #1035
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by emains
Why would anyone want to get a tivo now when they are not compatible with HDTV. I certainly would discourage anyone that I know from getting one now. Everyone is going to want to have HDTV and want to have a DVR that works with it.
welcome to the forum...I'm not sure what you're talking about since there's a HD-Tivo unit out for quite some time now...
Old 12-04-2005, 03:25 AM   #1036
flmgrip

emains, i would educate myself a little more before making such a blunt and unnecessary comment. any TIVO is compatible with an HDTV, i have been watching my SD tivo for two years now on my HDTV. i will upgrade soon to an HD tivo which will deliver me even better pictures on certain programing. and unlike some HD cable boxes the HDMI output actually works....

welcome to the forum, read up a little and you will see what's going on.

i have not watched LIVE tv for two years now. and i am loving every moment of it on my HDTV !
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:19 PM   #1037
The_Dude99

I called and went to Comcast tonight. The only deal they would give me was $30 off a month for service. They would not go under $499-100MIR. Where did I go wrong? The CSR kept on telling me why would you want used equipment from a cable company. He kept on trying to rip cable. So basically I got HD DVR for free with cable.
The_Dude99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #1038
AlpineZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoc

That sucks
You ain't kidding. I'm in the same boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys
welcome to the forum...I'm not sure what you're talking about since there's a HD-Tivo unit out for quite some time now...
I think what emains meant is, according to this:

Quote:
What is the future of the DirecTV HD TiVo?

DirecTV TiVos and DirecTV HD TiVos will continue to function for an indefinite period but DirecTV HD TiVos will not be able to receive the HDTV programming DirecTV intends to roll out this fall and through 2006 and 2007. This is because this new programming is in MPEG-4 and will be broadcast from different satellite locations, neither of which the TiVo models can tune to.
...there's no point in spending 5 bills to buy a DirecTV HR10-250 if it's not compatible with the HD format that DirecTV plans to use soon...

I'm majorly bummed about this. We just got a Panny plasma EDTV and so far I've been really happy with our SD DirecTiVo. Now I don't know what to do...

"The Northeast Guide to Mountain Adventure"
AlpineZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #1039
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineZone

...there's no point in spending 5 bills to buy a DirecTV HR10-250 if it's not compatible with the HD format that DirecTV plans to use soon...

I'm majorly bummed about this. We just got a Panny plasma EDTV and so far I've been really happy with our SD DirecTiVo. Now I don't know what to do...
Have you ever seen Annie Hall? Alvy stops doing his homework because he finds out that the universe is expanding and that one day it will break apart and it will all be over. So what's the purpose of doing homework?

Bottom line: Don't confuse the trend with reality. There are currently no alternatives to the HR10-250 out there (that I know of) and even when they are announced, and eventually become available, it will be quite some time before the units that are being sold today will no longer work. DirecTV has not announced any timeline for the death of MPEG2 only a plan to implement MPEG4. I guess if you are worried about spending $500 for HDTV DVR because it may not work in 3 or 4 years, that is one thing, but is that really what you are worried about?

Slightly off-topic: if the introduction of the R15 is any foreshadowing of other products we will be seeing from DirecTV, then many of you folks may be unecessarily holding your breath, as well. This new fleet of products appears to be even more commodity-oriented than the currently available product. ie, cheaper, less functionality, and certainly not designed to "compete" with TiVo. Remember, DirecTV isn't out there trying to replace all the TiVo systems - they are trying to keep Comcast off their turf...

Old 12-05-2005, 04:15 PM   #1040
AlpineZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I guess if you are worried about spending $500 for HDTV DVR because it may not work in 3 or 4 years, that is one thing, but is that really what you are worried about?
Of course not. If 3 or 4 years is the reality, I'm totally fine with that. Perhaps even a year or two. On the AVS Forum, there has been mention of DirecTV being willing to replace HD TiVos with whatever their new HD recorder is when it's released. Can anyone confirm that?

So, is it a majority opinion that one should just go ahead and proceed with an HR10-250 purchase despite the DirecTV / TiVo marriage ending?

Old 12-05-2005, 05:20 PM   #1041
flmgrip

Quote:

i'd be more concerned that if you really bought an EDTV and not an HDTV that you just dropped more than five bills on something that is already outdated and can not even truly display HDTV since you are missing some of the resolution...
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:49 AM   #1042
nunya999

I have an HDVR2 that's hacked for a web interface, downloading of recordings and no call outs. Been using it for 2 years and LOVE it. I'm ready to upgrade to HD and wonder if this new box is hackable for the same features? TYI
nunya999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #1043
Mikey Palmice

Quote:
Of course not. If 3 or 4 years is the reality, I'm totally fine with that. Perhaps even a year or two. On the AVS Forum, there has been mention of DirecTV being willing to replace HD TiVos with whatever their new HD recorder is when it's released. Can anyone confirm that?

So, is it a majority opinion that one should just go ahead and proceed with an HR10-250 purchase despite the DirecTV / TiVo marriage ending?
Here is what you have to do my friend. Call up DirecTV, ask for retention. Tell them you have done a lot of research about all of this. Tell them that you just spent your hard earned money on a unit that you have discovered may not be able to pick up your HD Locals in the near future. Tell them you were mislead by previous reps, and told that you were told that this device can be upgraded (which it can't). Tell them you want a 200 dollar credit on your next bill, because you can not use this box once the mpeg4 goes into full swing.

They told me at some point you will not be able to get your HD locals with this box, however there is nothing in concrete that says when this will be. Tell them you will not pay for this uncertainty, and you would not get this uncertainty with cable. They could not promise me I would receive my HD locals with my box at least up to the point that the new mpeg4 HD DVR come out mid 2006. I ended up paying 99 dollars for this HD DVR, and I am very happy. Even if they do cut my locals before the new DVR comes out, it won't be as big a deal, as my investment was only 100 bucks.

You need to use the conusion and mis-information at direcTV to your advantage. Believe me, they have taken advantage of the un-informed customers that are still paying 600 for the box.

I rep actually had the balls to tell me that the current HD-DVR could be upgraded with a software download, I was lied to, and I made them pay for it.

Don't take no for an answer.

One question though, why did you buy an EDTV if you want HDTV service?
Hughes GXCEBOT
Mikey Palmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:04 PM   #1044
AlpineZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Palmice
One question though, why did you buy an EDTV if you want HDTV service?
For one, I'm not a huge AV techie like probably most of you all. Our family room is rather large and we sit probably 15+ feet from the set. Given that, I didn't see that we would have benefited by paying a thousand dollars more for the HDTV version over the ED. It was simply a cost:benefit judgment call on my part. The EDTV is fine for our viewing purpose. Interesting how some would rather criticise my ED/HD decision than to provide feedback on my actual question.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #1045
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:

You need to use the confusion and mis-information at direcTV to your advantage. Believe me, they have taken advantage of the un-informed customers that are still paying 600 for the box.
I have to agree, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Basically, what is happening is that people make up their own stories to fill the vacuum. Based upon a few nuggets of information I've received, my story is this:

There are many local markets out there that will not receive MPEG2 broadcasts; when locals come online, it will be MPEG4 for those markets, and those markets will be eligible for free MPEG4 receivers (swap out). I do not think this applies to DVR/TiVo systems, and I think the lack of a 'statement' with respect to DVR's in this context is causing the confusion.

Longer term, DirecTV will switch over to MPEG4, and there will be a transition plan. This will take years, and MPEG2 streams won't be shut off until the bulk of the devices out there are MPEG4.

Given that there isn't any availability of MPEG4 DVR systems (SD or HD), let alone even an announcement as to when they will be available, this isn't something we should be worried about right now.

BTW, I don't think anyone is actively taking advantage of anyone; I think that there IS confusion and that people are just filling in the gaps as best they can.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:21 PM   #1046
Mikey Palmice

Wink

Quote:
For one, I'm not a huge AV techie like probably most of you all. Our family room is rather large and we sit probably 15+ feet from the set. Given that, I didn't see that we would have benefited by paying a thousand dollars more for the HDTV version over the ED. It was simply a cost:benefit judgment call on my part. The EDTV is fine for our viewing purpose. Interesting how some would rather criticise my ED/HD decision than to provide feedback on my actual question.
Oh, that's cool, but I think I did answer your question in the first 4 paragraphs of my answer.
Hughes GXCEBOT
Mikey Palmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:23 PM   #1047
AlpineZone

Quote:
Oh, that's cool, but I think I did answer your question in the first 4 paragraphs of my answer.
You did. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 PM   #1048
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Interesting how some would rather criticise my ED/HD decision than to provide feedback on my actual question.
booze is the answer. Now what was the question again?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #1049
rcuriel

HD DirecTivo w/o DirecTV

I saw these at the local best buy on sale and wanted the HD Recording capabilities
and dual tuners, but don't want to use DirecTV's service. Will the Tivo capabilities and other features still work with just OTA inputs?

Thanks!

Ray
rcuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 AM   #1050
jrm_at_tivocomm

upgrade for HD/TiVo box coming??

OK, so I'm trying to figure out all this new-satellites-and-service stuff. I called DTV about the status of the current HD-with-TiVo box, and was told by two different people that there will be an upgrade coming to that box that would enable it to work with the MPEG-4 satellites. Once upgraded, the box will be able to receive all HD content offered by DTV, with the content fully TiVo-able. They were uncertain when the MPEG-4 services would be coming online and when the upgrade would be available, which could raise questions about whether a gap might emerge between the new services coming online and the upgrade coming out, and that's of course a little bothersome. And, of course, the world could change completely. But unless I'm missing something, this sounds encouraging, and even close to the Right Thing. I called TiVo to check this out at their end, but they're closed now. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyway, for those of you who know more about this than I (which is almost everyone, I expect) -- am I missing something? This is sounding much less dire than what I had been hearing up to now. Of course, that's the job of the people on the DTV phone lines...
jrm_at_tivocomm is offline   Reply With Quote