TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-01-2005, 05:38 PM   #1501
mpost43062

I performed the zipper on my tivo and said yes to all enhacements. I am able to get music and photos to play on my tivo from my computer, but I am unable to use tivowebplus (open browser and put in IP address). I tried to restart it by typing twprs (as suggested in this thread) and it says that the /var/hack/tivowebplus/tivoweb: no such file or directory.

I am able to connect via telnet.

This is a wireless connection using the FA120 and the linksys game adapter.

Any suggestions on determining how to get this to work?

Mark
mpost43062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM   #1502
pink_panther

alright I'll work on making a serial cable after I find a tutorial somewhere. Thanks for the help, my adaptor is only useable with standalone tivos version 7.x so I guess serial is my only possible free option...
pink_panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #1503
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpost43062
I performed the zipper on my tivo and said yes to all enhacements. I am able to get music and photos to play on my tivo from my computer, but I am unable to use tivowebplus (open browser and put in IP address). I tried to restart it by typing twprs (as suggested in this thread) and it says that the /var/hack/tivowebplus/tivoweb: no such file or directory.

I am able to connect via telnet.

This is a wireless connection using the FA120 and the linksys game adapter.

Any suggestions on determining how to get this to work?

Mark
If you answered yes to the tivowebplus install, then tivoweb should be in /var/hack/tivowebplus. Navigate to that directory to see if anything is there. If not, you can either re-run the script, or manually copy the tivowebplus archive to that directory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:47 PM   #1504
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

drjohn I got your PM but you apparantly have PM's turned off or something.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:50 PM   #1505
mpost43062

ok I tried to go to /var/hack and it says hack: no such file or directory

Sorry to be a pain on this...can't seem to figure it out
Old 12-01-2005, 05:51 PM   #1506
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

re run the enhance script portion and make sure you follow the directions for XP SP2 if that's what you are using.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:53 PM   #1507
mpost43062

Can I rerun the enhancements from telnet?
Old 12-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #1508
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

yes
Old 12-01-2005, 06:08 PM   #1509
mpost43062

sorry gunny .....just realized how stupid my last question was.....duh

I am rerunning the enhancements.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:09 PM   #1510
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

no problemmo.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #1511
mpost43062

Thanks for all you patience with me.....everything seems to be in place now.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:20 PM   #1512
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Good!
Old 12-01-2005, 06:26 PM   #1513
alert5

Gunnyman just a quick follow up to all the fun I'm having with this thing of beauty.

An earlier thread expressed concern about DHCP IP assignments not matching the IP you set with Zipper!. On my first machine, I went to the router DHCP table and noticed that xxx.xxx.xxx.103 was set, when I had told it to use xxx.xxx.xxx.109. Well the fact is I could telnet to 109 but not 103, so it would seem this is a non-problem.

Also, I used a Linksys 200M and it worked fine. Must have been one of the v1 models. I still intend to buy the Netgear dongles anyway. The Linksys is just very flimsy.

I know I'm pushing it now, but is there a dummies list of valid telnet commands somewhere? Never been there or done that telnet thing.

This is really a spirit booster. Words are inadequate for the great service you and your partner have provided to the hacking challenged among us.
alert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #1514
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

alert5
go google for a bash primer.
telnet is just the connection between you and your tivo.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:47 PM   #1515
jrisberg
Geek

Mostly successful Zippering of stock HDVR2

Just wanted to chime in with the ups and downs of my mostly successful first efforts of Tivohacking thanks to the Glorious Zipper. In the space of about an hour I was able to remove my HDVR2's stock drive (running 6.2) and hit it with the Zipper's goodness.

I'd paid attention and made sure to order a supported wireless adapter from Amazon -- a Linksys WUSB11 that was $35 with $25 rebate! Initially it didn't seem to have any link light, but I swapped it to the other USB port, rebooted, and it blinked happily. Others seem to have had similar results.

Unfortunately I couldn't see the tivo from my PC at first, but after a half hour of fiddling I realized it was my fault. I'd chosen an IP of 192.168.1.1 for the Tivo, but my router was configured as 192.168.0.1. I'd assumed they shared the same subnet and would see each other, but they did not. Since I'd already reinstalled the drive at this point I just reconfigured my router with a 192.168.1.2 address and I was in business. Telnet, ftp, and tivoweb all worked like a charm.

I'm now struggling with NCID, which would really be the Killer App for The Wife (I'm thinking you've all heard this before). I seem to be blessed with one of the DTivos that just can't speak CallerID -- at least not in a way that NCIDD can be made to understand. I can throw goofy messages onto the screen with out2osd all day long, but ncidd can't seem to find any callerid signals.

I realize this isn't the forum for that can of worms, but I still read through the thousands of posts here hoping someone else had successfully gotten NCIDD happy on a hacked HDVR2. If anyone has any pointers I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again to the ZipperCreators. It's very appreciated.

Joel Risberg

jrisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #1516
GusMan

Here is another success story... Got my 2 DVR80's going last night. Zippered them right out of the box. Worked great and I am very thankful for all those who made this possible!!!!!!

I do have one question... When running the tweak script, no matter what I choose it goes through the automated install. It also looks like it bypasses several items. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it but no matter what I choose, it still goes through the automated install. Any ideas?

Thanks again for everything!!
- Gus
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #1517
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

did you follow the XP service pack 2 directions?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #1518
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrisberg
I'm now struggling with NCID, which would really be the Killer App for The Wife (I'm thinking you've all heard this before). I seem to be blessed with one of the DTivos that just can't speak CallerID -- at least not in a way that NCIDD can be made to understand. I can throw goofy messages onto the screen with out2osd all day long, but ncidd can't seem to find any callerid signals.
Try this and this.

or

Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #1519
Juise

Let the flaming begin!

Ok I'm a complete newb to the TiVo world.

Here is what I have:
R54040 TiVo Series 2 REV.4 DVR 40 Hour
Linksys WUSB11

What I want to be able to do:
1) Easily make DRM FREE (if possible) DVD's of content I record on my TiVo.
2) Get a USB to Ethernet adapter that will work with my TiVo.
3) Try out some of the other TiVo hacking goodness out there.
4) Maybe upgrade the HD at a later date.

What I know:
I am far from new to hacking my electronic toys. I've modded all of my current gen consoles myself.

I know and use *nix so that aspect of hacking the TiVo wont be a problem either.

So WTF am I doing here asking questions? I've spent the last 45 minutes going through FAQ's and sites and I havent come across a complete TiVo newb guide yet. But my basic questions are can I just get the "zipper" image and go, or does my specific TiVo setup require me to go another route. Also once my TiVo is all nice and hacked, how/what do I need to setup to start transfering content to DVD?

Please don't burn me to bad.
Juise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #1520
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the zipper is for directv integrated tivo only.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:57 PM   #1521
GusMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
did you follow the XP service pack 2 directions?
To be honest, no. I didnt because it worked fine the first time I ran the hack and also, I am not running XP. (Made an assumption... prob. my first mistake, right?)

But following the directions did the trick. Thank you very much once again!!
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:29 AM   #1522
towndrunk

It's been a while since I was into altering my RCA DVR40 since a year and a half ago when I first hacked it with the old Sleeper script. I've since moved across the country and when I plugged it in it no longer worked like before. So after getting fed up with the Sleeper not getting me back to where I was before, I started my attempt at using "The Zipper".

I've followed all the directions, however I can't get my new 120G drive to work correctly. I purchased the Instacake and PTV Boot disk as requested in the directions. If I follow the directions the drive comes up when placed in the Tivo with two problems. One is that I can't access the Tivo in any way. I've tried direct connection to my router, a crossover to a laptop, and through my wireless Ethernet Bridge. I know the Netgear FA120 works since I'm using it right now on my laptop.

The other problem is that here in my area they have two different dishes on the roof. One for locals, and the other for everything else. I went into the satellite config on the Tivo and it sees the secondary satellite, however I don't get any local channels to come in. They just aren't on the guide.

I tried using an image that I extracted from my working Tivo by placing it on the Tools disk as stated in the directions. That had no change on the outcome. I've been working on this for the last weekwhen I've had time and I'm just starting to reach my breaking point. I wanted to get any input that anyone may have as to something that I missed to did wrong. I'm sure it's just something I've done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by towndrunk : 12-02-2005 at 02:26 AM.
towndrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 AM   #1523
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Ok Item 1. Do you get link and power lights on the FA120?
2) Locals take 24 hrs or so to come in you can call dtv and get them back on your own by entering 711 when the prompt asks if you have a 3 digit extension on your screen.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 AM   #1524
towndrunk

Yes, in every case I was able to see a power and Link/Act light on my adapter. I did a sweep with Solarwinds of the network to make sure that I didn't type in the address wrong and nothing came up. I then went through the process again making sure that I typed in the IP Address that I wanted and still had the same issue. When trying to ping the given address via a straight connection to my router, through my wireless ethernet bridge, and by connectin a crossover cable directly to the Tivo.

The only thing that I didn't do was reboot once after the first boot, then do an erase everything on the Tivo after that, as directed by the Instacake disk. I'm in the process of doing that now, however I feel as though this won't make a difference in the IP configuration.

Thanks about the info relating to the locals. I did let my Tivo set overnight and the locals are now available on my guide. I'll check back after my next attempt at completing the hack. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #1525
DLiquid
Progressive User

Another success story here. I plan to Zipper three TiVos, and one was completed last night. I'll have the other two done tonight, so I can try MRV. SWEET! The whole process was a breeze, thanks rbautch and Gunnyman.

I wasn't 100% sure about all of the answers I gave during the script. I'm going to review the telnet transcript today and do some searching to see what I really want to answer. So my question is, if I decide I want to change some things, should I just uninstall and reinstall the script?
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #1526
towndrunk

My network connection still wasn't working so I read through this thread and saw that some have changed to the alternate USB port and rebooted with success. I tried this as well and was able to telnet to the Tivo.

Since there has apparently been a lot of new information added since the last time I used the Sleeper method, are there any guides or information as to what I can do with these new hacks or how I can access them? I'm sure I just need to start reading now is all. Thanks for your help once again.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM   #1527
alert5

Yes.

I just did an uninstall and re-install. I had to do it because I did not follow the instructions originally about using "dos2unix" on the tweak script and TivoWebPlus and the "joe" editor did not install. All is working now.

Even got the merge unit up for batch "Save-to-VCR". This is so great.
alert5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #1528
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLiquid
Another success story here. I plan to Zipper three TiVos, and one was completed last night. I'll have the other two done tonight, so I can try MRV. SWEET! The whole process was a breeze, thanks rbautch and Gunnyman.

I wasn't 100% sure about all of the answers I gave during the script. I'm going to review the telnet transcript today and do some searching to see what I really want to answer. So my question is, if I decide I want to change some things, should I just uninstall and reinstall the script?
Yes.

or

Old 12-02-2005, 01:01 PM   #1529
gggonzalez

Ok, I just purchased a 160gb drive to upgrate my 40gb Hughes SD-DVR40. It is currently running version 6.2x. From what I have read, 6.2 already uses the lba48 kernel. Cool. All I need to do, then, is to copy/expand the 40gb drive to the 160gb drive using the ole Weeknees instructions or whatever(having booted up with an LBA48 aware CD), and then applying the Zipper to it, correct?

Oh yeah, I've built a few Gentoo Linux distro's, so I am "decent" at Linux.
gggonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #1530
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

correct-o-mundo!