TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #811
Runch Machine

I'm having trouble with getting the digital optical cable to stay in. Is anyone else here having that problem?
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #812
ber

Well DaisyChain....i hear your pain....my machine seems ok for the moment...after i switched to DVD-RW 2x's but i went thru the same frustration you did...and would love to be reimbursed a carton of DVDs for all those ruined by the upgrade...particularly given that this upgrade did not really benefit any of us...we have a DVR....we don't need TIVOTOGO....not to mention having to power down every nite...to simply burn single discs like you are doing.....i am just thankful for forums like this...so that people don't feel alone in their problems,...otherwise pre-internet...you might simply think it was an isolated problem in your own unit...and not something systemic....with a great number of (but clearly not all) of the units.

Lets hope the new version comes out ASAP...i wish TIVO would at least post something directly on their cite...acknoweldging that there is an issue and updating us a bit from time to time...on the date....late Oct did not happen obviously...so when!!!
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #813
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyChain
It does seem they're doing all they can to stop us from transferring or dubbing anything?).
you know if you did not lace everything with TiVo conspiracies, you might get more help on the TiVo forum.
Quote:
Oh, and the no-sound or low-sound meant on playback (of the transferred show) in my computer. Not of the machinery in use.

The real issue proved to be that I still can't dub the program! After all that. Not even a screenshot. But as for dvd transfer - there is no way in the TiVo desktop program to allow it.

I went back to the TiVo website? And guess what - they want you to shell out $50 or $100 more (depending how many bells/whistles you get) to buy a software program that will let you make the dvd on your computer.
making DVDs is not an easy thing and it takes a lot of power on the PC. Browse through the TiVoToGo/HME forum on this site. You will find talk of Nero Express that can burn from .tivo files. Did your PC come with Nero ? Also you will find talk of DirectShowDump - this will get you mpeg files from .tivo files and then you can burn it with whatever you have. A little research goes a lot further than a lot of conspiracy theory.
Quote:
Sheesh, do they get us coming & going or what?! Needless to say, I'm not buying the software program when I've already just bought a brand-new machine supposedly able to do the same thing.
yes, TiVo is trying to give you and others a bad custome experience, it really fits right into their subscription model where the customer is their real asset. But like isaid above there are ways to burn on the PC without buying naything else and that forum I mentioned is full of threads on how to do it. You will aslo want to lookup codec - it is the codec being used on the PC that is giving you the sound and other playback porblems. Start a thread in the TiVoToGo Forum if you do not find what you need - many will help you there with how to burn on a PC using TiVoToGo without buying anything else.
Quote:
If they never come out with a patch, I predict class action lawsuit. Disabling everyone's DVR has got to be illegal. Truth in advertising and all that.
DRINK
Quote:
But as for myself, I'll just find another way to make Dvds that doesn't involve TiVo at all - while pushing pins in a tiny effigy of Tubey or whatever its name is. No way to treat customers, TiVo.
again some research and taking advice like using a wired network will get you into DVD making a lot quicker. The wireless adapters will be a problem for a while. The problem with wireless is that the USB drivers for such hardware is very new on linux - which is what TiVo uses. The adapter manufacturers do not make the linux drivers and thus open source or in house development is all that TiVo can do. As you have seen - the open source drivers are only passable and not very good for large chunks of data. I think TiVo is working on releasing its own adapter and thus can concentrate in house work on that one adapter, but even that will be difficult in the short term. Your best bet for TiVoTogo is to use a wired connection, but their is no conspiracy afoot, just an environment of no good drivers available for linux wireless.
Quote:
Btw, I am able to make one disc a day in the DVR from prerecorded programs, if I use the unplug-DVR machine-for-at-least-half-an-hour-before-burning option. But no more than once a day.
I also am not having burning issues on the hardware I received. It really does suck that an assembly line run seems to be out there that is just not working correctly. Sorry if this has been discussed further up in the thread but have any of you called Toshiba ?

Has anyone tried calling TiVo CSR and ask get included in the 7.2.1 early rollout to to see if it does fix the problem. You might also try emailing TiVoOpsMgr (look him up in the members list here) as he can give you more detail on what is happening with this bug and if 7.2.1 is meant as the patch, etc..)

Last edited by ZeoTiVo : 11-07-2005 at 08:49 AM.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #814
baltman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
I'm assuming that your computer(s) or laptop(s) that you have on your network is able to surf the internet. If not, you need to address it before moving on.

There are two options you could have used to program the IP address on your RS-TX20:

1. Using a default setting - DHCP, this is where your router hands out the IP address dynamically
2. Using a manual setting - you would have to program the addresses in manually

If you used option #1, you have a firewall, router and/or a network issue.
If you used option #2, you don't have the correct default gateway programmed into your Toshiba. Maybe you have a duplicate IP address programmed on another device.

That is unless you have some other device on your network, let's say an iMac that is handing out IP addresses because you have the DHCP service enabled.

Your RS-TX20 has or acquired address ending with 106.
My guess is the router started with 101 and gave out 6 addresses, which means that you have 5 other devices on the network? Are they having issues surfing the internet? Try powering down one device at a time, including the router and RS-TX20 and see if anything changes.

You may have a latancy issue with your internet satellite connection. Which means your RS-TX20 is looking for a connection response faster than your network can provide and it is timing out. For example, the network can get the connection response in 4 seconds but RS-TX20 is looking for it in 3. There is nothing you can do about this short of hacking the Toshiba and programming it by extending the time out value. If you are able to do that, you and I need to get and make millons fixing everyone's problem and coming up with new programs.

Let us know what you find.
Thanks for the reply.
I am not having problems with the other devices on the network. I have my linux webserver on this and no problems getting out or to it. The others are three wireless laptops and 1 desktop and 1 linux server. So it must be the timeout delay. Well I will see if I can change the timeout delay on this . Do you know if I can telnet to this system since I can ping it or do I have to remove the HD and put it in my other pc and then hack from there.

Thanks.
baltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #815
ashu
User title defunct

Darn it Zeo ... if you try to get me drunk on a Monday morning, how am I supposed to concentrate on work?

I am looking into bringing a lawsuit against you .... ooops ... glug-glug!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #816
hawks67

"The latest" re: RS-TX20 7.2.1 patch

Wow, what a mess! I myself called Toshiba this morning, as so many other forum members have done, to inquire about this infamous fix-it-all 7.2.1 patch. First thing they told me was that TiVo was in charge of rolling out the patch. I was very suspicious of this statement, since I wholeheartedly trust the posters here on this forum infintely more than a first-level CSR from Toshiba, but alas, I did then call TiVo.

Here is a very close representation of the play-by-play with Tia, the TiVo Level One CSR I got on the phone:

Me: I really, really, really need to get this 7.2.1 patch
Tia: Have you been put on the priority list?
Me: No, but I guess that's what I'm aiming to do here, so yes, please
Tia: No problem, please give me a minute and I'll take care of that for you
<couple minutes go by>
Tia: OK, I have put you as high on the priority list as I possibly could. You should expect to receive this patch within three to six days.
Me: DAYS???!?!?!? <small whine>
Tia: Yes, I'm sorry, there are lots and lots of people on this priority list, but you should get it within about three days.
Me: OK, well, I guess that'll have to do. Now, this WILL fix everything, won't it?
Tia: Yes, the 7.2 patch should take care of your concerns
Me: 7.2? You mean 7.2.1, right?
Tia: No, this 7.2 patch covers the issues with the 7.1 release.
Me: I have it on good authority that the patch I'm referring to is 7.2.1 and covers the issues with the 7.2 release.
Tia: You already have the 7.2 patch? Oh, then you're OK. What problems are you having?
Me: <long description of DVD burning problems, random rebooting, etc)
Tia: Let me transfer you to second level support.
<several minutes go by with major-league bad hold muzak>
Isaac: Thanks for holding, can I help you?
Me: <description of 7.2.1 patch and performance issues>
Isaac: Yes, we are currently in the process of distributing 7.2.1, and it is our hope that it will address these issues.
Me: We are having all sorts of problems burning DVDs, and our system reboots randomly from time to time.
Isaac: Well, the rebooting issue is probably something that is hardware-related, although some customers receiving 7.2.1 may see some improvement in this area. If not, then you will need to have your machine serviced. The DVD burning issue is something that 7.2.1 is intended to address. Please hold a few minutes while I research the issue a little further and get more details about 7.2.1.
<continued hold muzak, featuring flutes this time>
Isaac: Yes, I have confirmed that we are attempting to address that DVD burning issue with 7.2.1.
Me: Terrific, is there any way I can get on the priority list for that, like the other person was going to do for me for 7.2?
Isaac: No, not yet. It may be another little while, maybe a month or two before that 7.2.1 release will be ready.
Me: <astonished> But I had been informed that this release was supposed to happen at the end of October!
Isaac: Yes, but we decided to hold off a bit. This is going to have to be an entirely new software release.

So if Isaac is to be believed, and he did sound entirely credible, our burning issues are going to continue through Christmas, most likely. I suppose we should be grateful that this time they're actually going through the proper software testing and analysis portion of development and not just shoving out a patch like they did with 7.2.

But right now I don't exactly feel grateful.
hawks67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:03 PM   #817
Tiresius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
My RS-TX60 continues to burn DVDs fine (both -R and -RW). I had one Memorex DVD-R that failed, but it hung the machine when I inserted it making me think there was something with it to begin with.

I know that's no consolation to those who are having problems... but it does mean that the problem isn't universal. Could there be a TX 20 vs. TX 60 difference?
I have a TX 20 and have never had a failure burning DVD's.(knock on wood)

I sympathaize with those having the problems, but the fact that some units are working leads me to believe that this really is a bug and not some conspiracy by Tivo to screw their customers with DVD burners. That doesn't excuse them for shipping with such a bad bug though - that's just not good service anyway you slice it.

Since the supposed fix(7.2.1) is complete and currently being rolled out I think the only course of action is to wait for 7.2.1 to hit your machines and see if it's really fixed. It would be nice if Tivo could somehow prioritize the DVD units in the upgrade since some of them really need the bugfix badly.

Oops, my bad. I just reread some posts and it seems there is now a question as to whether 7.2.1 is even out and that it may be a month away. Anybody actually seen 7.2.1 yet?

If anybody has seen it, did it fix the problem?

Last edited by Tiresius : 11-07-2005 at 02:12 PM.
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #818
azitnay

7.2.1 priority list:

http://research.tivo.com/72.1priority/

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #819
DarkShadows

Thanks Drew, I just sent off my request for the new patch.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #820
ber

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
Thanks Drew, I just sent off my request for the new patch.
YES I second the thanks to DREW!!!! Good job in getting this info to us....lets all keep our fingers crossed....and obviously report back here with results!!!!

Robert
Old 11-07-2005, 03:47 PM   #821
baltman

RS-TX20 DVD Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks67
Wow, what a mess! I myself called Toshiba this morning, as so many other forum members have done, to inquire about this infamous fix-it-all 7.2.1 patch. First thing they told me was that TiVo was in charge of rolling out the patch. I was very suspicious of this statement, since I wholeheartedly trust the posters here on this forum infintely more than a first-level CSR from Toshiba, but alas, I did then call TiVo.

Here is a very close representation of the play-by-play with Tia, the TiVo Level One CSR I got on the phone:

Me: I really, really, really need to get this 7.2.1 patch
Tia: Have you been put on the priority list?
Me: No, but I guess that's what I'm aiming to do here, so yes, please
Tia: No problem, please give me a minute and I'll take care of that for you
<couple minutes go by>
Tia: OK, I have put you as high on the priority list as I possibly could. You should expect to receive this patch within three to six days.
Me: DAYS???!?!?!? <small whine>
Tia: Yes, I'm sorry, there are lots and lots of people on this priority list, but you should get it within about three days.
Me: OK, well, I guess that'll have to do. Now, this WILL fix everything, won't it?
Tia: Yes, the 7.2 patch should take care of your concerns
Me: 7.2? You mean 7.2.1, right?
Tia: No, this 7.2 patch covers the issues with the 7.1 release.
Me: I have it on good authority that the patch I'm referring to is 7.2.1 and covers the issues with the 7.2 release.
Tia: You already have the 7.2 patch? Oh, then you're OK. What problems are you having?
Me: <long description of DVD burning problems, random rebooting, etc)
Tia: Let me transfer you to second level support.
<several minutes go by with major-league bad hold muzak>
Isaac: Thanks for holding, can I help you?
Me: <description of 7.2.1 patch and performance issues>
Isaac: Yes, we are currently in the process of distributing 7.2.1, and it is our hope that it will address these issues.
Me: We are having all sorts of problems burning DVDs, and our system reboots randomly from time to time.
Isaac: Well, the rebooting issue is probably something that is hardware-related, although some customers receiving 7.2.1 may see some improvement in this area. If not, then you will need to have your machine serviced. The DVD burning issue is something that 7.2.1 is intended to address. Please hold a few minutes while I research the issue a little further and get more details about 7.2.1.
<continued hold muzak, featuring flutes this time>
Isaac: Yes, I have confirmed that we are attempting to address that DVD burning issue with 7.2.1.
Me: Terrific, is there any way I can get on the priority list for that, like the other person was going to do for me for 7.2?
Isaac: No, not yet. It may be another little while, maybe a month or two before that 7.2.1 release will be ready.
Me: <astonished> But I had been informed that this release was supposed to happen at the end of October!
Isaac: Yes, but we decided to hold off a bit. This is going to have to be an entirely new software release.

So if Isaac is to be believed, and he did sound entirely credible, our burning issues are going to continue through Christmas, most likely. I suppose we should be grateful that this time they're actually going through the proper software testing and analysis portion of development and not just shoving out a patch like they did with 7.2.

But right now I don't exactly feel grateful.
I have this system with Software version 7.2.0-elm-01-2-656 and have no problems burning my DVD's. I thought I would try this as I see everyone saying they have problems. I came home today and burned to DVD's one after the other.

I am using the Memorex 4X DVD-R media. I even test this to make sure I could play the recording and there where no problems. This is the original system with no hacking done.
baltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #822
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltman
I have this system with Software version 7.2.0-elm-01-2-656 and have no problems burning my DVD's. I thought I would try this as I see everyone saying they have problems. I came home today and burned to DVD's one after the other.

I am using the Memorex 4X DVD-R media. I even test this to make sure I could play the recording and there where no problems. This is the original system with no hacking done.
I used the Memorex 8X recently a 50 pack spindle, I got 40 in a row then 3 coasters, then two good burns, then the system locked up again.

It's be an on again off again deal with my unit.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM   #823
DaisyChain

Humax machines are also having problems.

My guess is, on the Toshiba models, some were put together at a different factory and may have slightly different parts inside, making them less vulnerable to glitches for some unknown reason. This type of thing is often subcontracted.

An update: After bouncing around like it was possessed, I did try to make a burn later on and it burned a disc. It definitely messes up if TiVo starts recording a live show during it, though. I don't think that's what went wrong that one time it got an error (after 24 hrs. of not trying at all) but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's working again now - as long as I unplug the machine at least half an hour first.

Of course, it could always stop again! LOL What a laborious way to have to burn discs!
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #824
Punchey

I'm considernig upgrading from an SD-H400 to an RS-TX20. Is there anything I should consider before doing so? As I understand it, the TX20 has darker blacks (crushed blacks) that make the image too dark. But then I've heard that for some people using Humax recorders, 7.2 fixed it. Is the same true for the TX20? And if you were me, would you make the move to upgrade?

Thanks!
Punchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:32 PM   #825
TiVoEvan74

I just upgraded from an SD-H400 to both a Human and Tosh DVD burning unit... definitely worth it... the infinite space afforded by the DVDs is an asset...

Plus the extra space, especially of the RS-TX60, is wonderful!
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #826
Punchey

Any problems with crushed blacks and/or picture quality moving from the SD-H400 to the RS-TX?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:45 PM   #827
TiVoEvan74

don't know what crushed blacks are... we're not particularly discriminating about picture quality having had over the air for years. We're among the group (probably a minority) who finds BASIC quality recording quite fine... and as a result gets 200+ hours of recording with our RS-TX60.

The only thing I can tell you is that we didn't see any difference in picture quality between the two... but then again, as mentioned, it's not that big a deal to us (however, I'm sure that if there were major differences--colors way off, poor reception, scattered colored pixels, etc.--we would have seen that.)
Old 11-08-2005, 08:00 PM   #828
hawks67

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
7.2.1 priority list:

http://research.tivo.com/72.1priority/

Drew
Fantastic! While I, like everyone else, feel lucky to have someone like Drew on our side, what does it say about TiVo's development and customer service when he knows more than their supposed second-level support? I mean, it's simply pathetic that I can be told by TiVo that 7.2.1 is potentially two more months away while their own site has a page allowing Series Two customers to sign up for the very same patch.

"Frustrating" doesn't begin to cover it, but thank goodness for Drew!
hawks67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #829
Punchey

TivoEvan74, that's good to hear that there's no perceptible difference between the two. From what I've been told and from what I've read, "crushed blacks" is where darker areas of the picture are too dark and detail in them is lost. And from what I've heard, the overall picture on the RS-TXs is excessively dark. But if you haven't noticed this, then either you've gotten one with fixed hardware, or 7.2 fixed your problem. Because I tend to think you would have noticed it, judging from what everyone is saying.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #830
TiVoEvan74

Well, I don't know about that! We put up with fuzzy over-the-air pictures for years and even pixelated TiVo recordings because the visual quality wasn't a high priority--and we have small TVs.

People with larger TVs and who are more sensitive and particular about visual quality are the ones reporting the issue-- so, if I were you, I'd even start a separate thread asking for input on this very issue. You want to see if any particular folks report that the problem has been fixed!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:23 AM   #831
ber

Quote:
Well, I don't know about that! We put up with fuzzy over-the-air pictures for years and even pixelated TiVo recordings because the visual quality wasn't a high priority--and we have small TVs.

People with larger TVs and who are more sensitive and particular about visual quality are the ones reporting the issue-- so, if I were you, I'd even start a separate thread asking for input on this very issue. You want to see if any particular folks report that the problem has been fixed!
I haven't had a problem at all with the Toshiba pic quality....i have a 43" Sony (not HD)
Old 11-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #832
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks67
Fantastic! While I, like everyone else, feel lucky to have someone like Drew on our side, what does it say about TiVo's development and customer service when he knows more than their supposed second-level support? I mean, it's simply pathetic that I can be told by TiVo that 7.2.1 is potentially two more months away while their own site has a page allowing Series Two customers to sign up for the very same patch.

"Frustrating" doesn't begin to cover it, but thank goodness for Drew!
actually it was the TiVo Customer Service employee "TiVoJerry" who posted the priority list in the coffeehouse discussion thread in the thread titled "7.2.1 ......... " I highly reccomend reading the Coffeehouse discussion forum - it is all about TiVo and I get a lot of info from there myself.

another employee TiVoPony had stated before that there would be no priority list for 7.2.1 - hence my advice to call in and get on the early rollout.

This means it was a very recent decision to have the priority list so the Customer Service reps on the phone just had not gotten the official word yet that they could start to tell customers about it. I think it was all a timing issue and the fact that CSR's are told to be careful in what they say so that one voice of what will really happen goes out from the CSR center.

the ACTUAL rollout of this at regular volume may be a month or two away but they are ready to let people who ask for it get it as a final round of "lets see how it does out on the customer base"
Old 11-09-2005, 02:12 PM   #833
Punchey

TivoEvan74:
I see what you mean. I actually did start a thread, but amazingly, despite all the people who've complained about the picture quality issue, not a single person has replied to that thread to say whether or not their picture quality has changed or stayed the same after 7.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
I haven't had a problem at all with the Toshiba pic quality....i have a 43" Sony (not HD)
That's good to hear! I'm more encouraged now about taking the plunge. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #834
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:

I have a Toshiba 32inch TV that I had my SD H400 on and then switched it out for the RS-TX20. I record most things at Best quality and have no problems with the picture quality, though I can see some pixellation if I look for it. It is not something that bothers me with TV shows however.

NOTE- though that I first looked at a Sony WEGA (HD set or SD set) becasue of its good rep. but the analog cable picture being fed to either in the store looked awful. Put in a DVD though and it looked great.

Then I looked at the Toshiba (Non HD) I did buy and the analog cable on it looked great as it did a much betetr job with the colors, had a real depth of color to it, and the filters on the TV were optimized for SD. A DVD played on it looked great as well to me though it suffered from only being interlaced.

anyway I bough the Toshiba to get a MUCH better SD picture and gave up a littel bit on the DVD picture for it.

I submit that the person's TV/method of hook up may play a major role in how noticeable the crushed blacks and other imperfections are
Old 11-10-2005, 12:07 AM   #835
Punchey

Thanks for the feedback! So you would say that you didn't notice any TiVo quality difference between the SD-H400 and the RS-TX20? The thing I've been hearing is that in settings below Best, and possibly High, result in an almost unwatchable picture in dark scenes. Or at least those are the complaints. I never know just how much salt to take with such complaints though.

So do I take it from what you were saying that the DVD playback quality on the SD-H400 is better than on the RS-TX20? Or did I misunderstand?

All in all, with the great feedback from you guys, I'm leaning toward going for the TX20. Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #836
ashu
User title defunct

I have a TX20 AND a SD-H400 connected to the same TV via a receiver. I ran out of component switching inputs on the receiver, so my SD-H400 is SVideo connected (although the receiver then upconverts it). The same show waatched on the two units
a. TX20-component-receiver-component-SD Flat screen JVC TV
b. SDH400-SVideo-receiver-upconverted_component-SD Flat screen JVC TV

ALWAYS has a looking better. Of course, I've introduced a possibly flawed Component upconversion into the pipeline, but the gist is - on a 27" SDTV (the best out there), the TX 20 is just fine.

Lest I forget, I record almost everything (but sports/cartoons - High) in Medium Quality. NOTHING at Best!

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #837
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchey
TivoEvan74, that's good to hear that there's no perceptible difference between the two. From what I've been told and from what I've read, "crushed blacks" is where darker areas of the picture are too dark and detail in them is lost. And from what I've heard, the overall picture on the RS-TXs is excessively dark. But if you haven't noticed this, then either you've gotten one with fixed hardware, or 7.2 fixed your problem. Because I tend to think you would have noticed it, judging from what everyone is saying.

Thanks for your input!
My Toshiba images were darker than the same images through my VCR.
I'd compare it switching back and forth using my receiver. One day I decided to try a Monster cable and replaced the existing ones connecting up to my Toshiba. You guessed it, the pictures were as bright as my VCR. No more dark pictures, no more crushed blacks.

For those having issues with any display images with any video devices, try these 3 things:

1. Try replacing the cable with a quality one, ie. Monster Cable.

2. If you are going through a receiver or sort, try a different port. If you have it going into VCR1, try VCR2 or the VIDEO.

3. Try plugging into your TV directly and bypass your receiver. Maybe it is your receiver or some unknown adjustment features that you don't know about.
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:52 PM   #838
ashu
User title defunct

PLEASE don't say MONSTER and QUALITY in the same sentence, unless you're using the adverbs OVERPICED and BAD as well

Monster is a load of overpriced crud. Nothing more.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 11-10-2005, 02:05 PM   #839
Punchey

Thanks to the both of you for the added input!

ashu:
It is good to know that you see good quality even at Medium. If you dislike Monster cables (I also think they are very highly priced), what cables do you recommend that are affordable?

CaccaMucca:
This is a very interesting testimonial. I'll definitely keep it in mind if I notice any problems with the brightness of the unit. However, according to some old threads I read, someone hooked up some equipment to the outputs of these units and found that the black level output is at 0. I don't have any idea what that means, but according to those in the thread, that was too low and it's supposed to be some higher value. So according to them, the problem was coming from the unit itself. But then later, someone said that 7.2 fixed a similar problem on their Humax. So I thought maybe it was something in the software.

But now if you fixed the same problem by changing cabling, that's really puzzling. But good information nonetheless. I will keep it in mind. thanks again!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #840
ber

I have not yet got 7.2.1- hopefully soon since i filled out the priority request in the link Drew provided....Once anyone gets the upgrade- i would certainly appreciate some feedback on whether it addressed successfully the problems with DVD burning.