Gunnyman
Super FunBall

maybe peeps don't know what vilify means
Old 10-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #302
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial
BTW, if I can get the TiVos to not need a phone line, then all I need to do is talk to my alarm company about what other monitoring options they have, and I'll be able to ditch my land line for Vonage or a similar offering and save about $25-35/month. So that's a big driver in this project.
Most alarm companies have a "cell phone-like" interface they can install to replace a land line. If they don't, it's easy (and likely free) to switch to one who does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:28 PM   #303
mercurial
Retro-Av

I don't get the whole vilfy thing.. I mean, you're giving credit and not even including their tools - making people go get them. What's the big deal if I use a script instead of doing it all by hand? That's the Unix way for crips sakes. Using scripts and lots of little tools to build up bigger/automated systems. It makes more sense than doing it by hand on what will be our three TiVos and ending up with inconsistancies or user errors.. Whatever...
Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #304
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Most alarm companies have a "cell phone-like" interface they can install to replace a land line. If they don't, it's easy (and likely free) to switch to one who does.
Our old company (5 years ago so it may have changed) offered that as a backup incase someone cut our phone line. At the time, the monthly fee was almost 2/3 of what we'd save. I know when the phone company was dragging, ADT said they could work with VoIP and they'd install a UPS and some other things on site to make it more reliable but it seems like what they should do is just have it send reports via the Internet and have a UPS for your router/switch/CTM... Eh... I'll burn that bridge when I come to it...
Old 10-24-2005, 12:35 PM   #305
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
I don't get the whole vilfy thing.. I mean, you're giving credit and not even including their tools - making people go get them. What's the big deal if I use a script instead of doing it all by hand? That's the Unix way for crips sakes. Using scripts and lots of little tools to build up bigger/automated systems. It makes more sense than doing it by hand on what will be our three TiVos and ending up with inconsistancies or user errors.. Whatever...
Merc
It comes from the fact that the inventors of this crap had to sweat and work and fail ( a lot) to get these hacks to work.
Scripts are too easy and don't teach people who use them anything about what they did.
Many many people think if you don't learn how a hack works you shouldn't use it.
Frankly it's a dang set top box and once it's set up you shouldn't have to screw with it. At least that's how I feel about it.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM   #306
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Merc
It comes from the fact that the inventors of this crap had to sweat and work and fail ( a lot) to get these hacks to work.
Scripts are too easy and don't teach people who use them anything about what they did.
Many many people think if you don't learn how a hack works you shouldn't use it.
Frankly it's a dang set top box and once it's set up you shouldn't have to screw with it. At least that's how I feel about it.
Yeah, I bet it was a b!tch working out awk, sed, grep and so on for the first time but at some point, you have to stop tooting your own horn and accept they're just tools. Oh well.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:47 PM   #307
rbautch
User

Quote:
Ok.. Just a few comments to, hopefully (?), make the guide a bit better.
Good observations, and definitely fixable. I have a few ideas. First, the rbautch-files archive is huge (relatively), so if I copy it instead of move it, it will take up way too much space. The uninstall script moves the rbautch-files archive to the root directory before deleting the /enhancements. This was done pre-Zipper for most people like me who ran tweak.sh from root. This made it possible to install/un-install tweak.sh over and over without moving any files. The simplist way to fix this is to have the Zipper put tweak.sh in root rather than /hacks/, and have people run it from there. I'll do some searching to see if there is a more elegant way to handle this, like having the uninstall script move the files archive to the directory where tweak.sh was run from...or from where it was run, whatever.

ps I hope I can count on some volunteers to test this!

or

Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 PM   #308
JediKnight2

I have my units up and running...If I can pull out an old 40GB harddrive from somewhere...Ill test it for you...
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #309
rbautch
User

This was easier than I thought. The attached uninstall script will find the directory you ran it from (in this case /hacks/), and will move the rbautch-files.tgz archive there when the uninstall script is run. This way you should be able to cleanly install/uninstall/reinstall multiple times. If you want to test it, just replace the uninstall script in /hacks/ with this one, and run it. Then try running tweak.sh again.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tweak-uninstall.zip (895 Bytes, 14 views)

or

Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #310
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

So should I use this one and replace the one that I just yesterday used to replace the 2.3 one???
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:01 PM   #311
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
If that's the way you feel about it then how did you come up with the "unguide" if you didn't "screw with it"?
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 PM   #312
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

note I said once it's set up
it ain't se up til it's hacked
Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #313
JediKnight2

I ran into that the first time I ran the script....I should have posted it earlier ...I new what the problem was and just ftp'd it to /hacks where it was being looked for...Having my own linux server helps me get into just enough trouble to keep me up at night...LOL
Old 10-24-2005, 02:51 PM   #314
tosetek

Ok, so let's say you're pretty much a novice with no hacking experience but you know how to reformat a hard drive and swap them around. These instructions seem pretty straight forward (I like the links provided, thanks). How long will this take for the avg. noob and what would you say the overall success rate for people who didn't wander off from the directions?

Thanks a lot.
Troy
tosetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #315
JediKnight2

I would say that if you STICK TO THE INSTRUCTIONS...no deviations and you understand what and where Primary and Secondary IDE's are and how to ensure each is set to Master or Slave where appropriate..I would say your chances are 100%

You ALSO need to understand what parameters to insert for networking...
Old 10-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #316
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

if you follow the directions and strayeth ye not away from them, once you have the tools disk made, the whole process from removeing the screws from the tivo to enjoying the fruits of your labor should be just over an hour.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:57 PM   #317
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by tosetek
Ok, so let's say you're pretty much a novice with no hacking experience but you know how to reformat a hard drive and swap them around. These instructions seem pretty straight forward (I like the links provided, thanks). How long will this take for the avg. noob and what would you say the overall success rate for people who didn't wander off from the directions?

Thanks a lot.
Troy
Average time will depend on if you're moving to a new, bigger drive and if you're saving recordings. Also if you have a machine you can quickly pull apart to put the drive(s) in... These things took longer than the Zipper/tweak process for me.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:03 PM   #318
tosetek

Thanks for the fast responses. Yep, I'm only counting hack time and not actual hardware removal time. I don't have the time nor knowledge to read through some of the many posts required for previous hacks, that's why this one is so appealing. Plus, the fast response to people in need of help.

I understand how to change from master to slave and primary IDE so that's good. The parameters for network concerns me but I'm sure i just need to read up more. Do you mean the IP address?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #319
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

just make sure your router is running DHCP and you have a Tivo approved wired USB ethernet adapter like the easily found Netgear FA120 and you will be fine.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #320
tosetek

cool. I at least did that much research for previous hacks and that is the adapter which I currently have.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #321
JediKnight2

Just post up if you have problems and we will try to help...

I can verify though that the USB2.0 drivers for the wusb11 ARE faster...MUCH faster in my case!! I could tell a difference just by telneting into the machine!
Old 10-24-2005, 03:50 PM   #322
summerall

Now that I've zippered one Tivo I want to do another.

If I purchase a DSR7000 from weaknees it won't come with an access card, so can I use an access card from my directors pack receiver with it?
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:52 PM   #323
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

is it a P4 card?
you MIGHT be able to. It depends on the mood of the CSR that day.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 PM   #324
summerall

I'm not sure what kind of card it is. I'll have to check when I get home.

I have two I could use - one is in an old series 1 tivo already active and another in a directors pack receiver not actived. Could I just move the card from the series 1 tivo into the new DSR7000 without calling DTV?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #325
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
I'm not sure what kind of card it is. I'll have to check when I get home.

I have two I could use - one is in an old series 1 tivo already active and another in a directors pack receiver not actived. Could I just move the card from the series 1 tivo into the new DSR7000 without calling DTV?
No, IIRC, they match the card number to the recivers IRD (?) number. You have to give both to activate. I think sometimes they even "claim" the cards are paired to the reciever permanently but I think that was debunked as CSR BS. But, you'll pretty much have to call.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #326
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

you can activate that one using the call 1800directv and enter 722 trick
Old 10-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #327
rbautch
User

Quote:
No, IIRC, they match the card number to the recivers IRD (?) number. You have to give both to activate. I think sometimes they even "claim" the cards are paired to the reciever permanently but I think that was debunked as CSR BS. But, you'll pretty much have to call.
Since the DSR7000 is a non-RID tivo, the #722 trick should work. I pulled an old P4 card out of a standard DirecTV receiver, and it worked find with a Weakness DSR7000. Another option is to buy a card from Weaknees for $25.

or

Old 10-24-2005, 05:20 PM   #328
JediKnight2

I BET you unzipped it with winzip or windows zip utility...those = NO WORKY!! (in the great words of the master) Use WinRAR and I bet it works...I used it last week...
Old 10-24-2005, 06:14 PM   #329
summerall

Am I right that zipper does not install tytools tserver?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #330
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
If you want to save your programs that are currently on your system...I successfully did this on Saturday by following the Hinsdale Guide by upgrading to a larger single drive from my Original Tivo drive. After I completed the Hinsdale guide I zippered the drive and it worked flawlessly....

so I can use the Weaknees guide(I like this guide better) to backup and restore a larger drive then install Zipper and Enhancement Scripts and my old recordings will be saved? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote