TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #211
binki

I was trying to copy the recordings, yes. I'd really like to keep them if there is any way at all to do so. It seems the B drive is the bad one; am I correct in thinking the OS would be on the A drive?

if it stops halfway through like it did, waiting for the B drive, would that mean the A drive copied okay, with OS and all?

Is there any way to fix the old B drive enough to make this copy go through? Even if it means losing some recordings, is there any way to get it to block out the bad sectors?

Is there any chance of this working or am I holding onto false hope here?

I'm just hoping there are options other than blanking it all out and starting over. My original tiny drive is still in the closet so if worse came to worst I could reinstall that or something...but ugh, that's sure not what I'd rather do.
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:30 PM   #212
cwilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
if it stops halfway through like it did, waiting for the B drive, would that mean the A drive copied okay, with OS and all?

Is there any way to fix the old B drive enough to make this copy go through? Even if it means losing some recordings, is there any way to get it to block out the bad sectors?
You shouldn't be guessing if you have a bad drive or which one is bad. Figure out who made the drive(s), go off to the manufacturer's site, download their diagnostic util and use it. Better yet, use Spinrite instead, in mode 2. If there's any chance of recovery, Spinrite will recover the data, and it works with TiVo drives.

I've always been suspect of the drive manufacturer's utils, but recently had Western Digital's "Data Lifegaurd Diagnotistics" claim there were no problems with a TiVo drive that had confirmed unrecoverable sectors. Spinrite could not completely repair the drive, but it fixed it well enough so that my TiVo would boot, after which the TiVo itself did a GSOD fsfix and cleaned up any remaining problems.

-cw-
cwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 02:08 AM   #213
kitschcamp
Tweaked and poked

Don't use Spinrite if you're in a rush - even with a small 40GB drive it can take a very long time to check.

ˇɥɐɹɹnɥ ˙oʌıʇ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɥʇıʍ ʍou
kitschcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #214
binki

Would those diagnostics work even though the drives had been formatted for TiVo and used that way for years?

The old drives are Western Digital Caviar drives, for what that's worth.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #215
azitnay

Manufacturer diagnostics typically have an option that simply checks the physical condition of the disk, and not the individual partitions, files, etc. on the disk. That's what you want to start with.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:11 AM   #216
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
Would those diagnostics work even though the drives had been formatted for TiVo and used that way for years?

The old drives are Western Digital Caviar drives, for what that's worth.
SpinRite is an excellent choice I use it to test every new hard drive I install. I just recently recovered a 120G TiVo drive using it. Just note any full hard drive diagnostic will run all night even longer if it finds errors.

Check it out at Gibson Research Corporations SpinRite
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM   #217
binki

I just looked at the SpinRite page. Is there any way to do this that doesn't cost 90 bucks?
I don't own a PC, I borrowed one for this TiVo job, and will probably never use it again!

- -

on edit:

I'm at the Western Digital site now, but I'm baffled by the options.
Can someone explain to me, as if talking to a child, what I need, exactly? The computer has nothing at all in it, no CD drive, no hard drive, so I'm not sure what OS the diagnostic needs to be for. I believe I have to be able to make a boot floppy, but which one?

Last edited by binki : 09-19-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:15 PM   #218
azitnay

Support -> Downloads -> Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS (Floppy) is the one I usually use. It allows you to download an .exe that creates a boot floppy for you.

If you're not running Windows, or don't have a floppy drive, you can probably use Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS (CD) instead and burn the .iso to a CD-R.

Drew
Old 09-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #219
ashu
User title defunct

binki, for starters also consider downloading the Ultimate Boot CD.

It has some ultra-powerful (and scary!) tools, but has all the latest disk manufacturers' diagnostics too (remember to scroll on the disk diagnostics' page after booting from this CD).

Rule of thumb - if you're not sure what a tool is about to do and it DOES pop up a "You can't revert and this may make permanent changes" message box, cancel ouy. The basic tools should give you a good idea what's going on with the disk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #220
binki

There's no CD drive in that machine, nor any kind of Ethernet/internet ability (no hard drive, no OS, nuttin'!) but I'll give that Data Lifeguard a shot. I'll ask a PC-enabled friend to make me a floppy.

Thanks... hope I won't be back here with further woe...
Old 09-20-2005, 05:43 AM   #221
Xezoid

I just want to say thanks I replaced my HD-Tivo drives with two Seagate 400 GB I bought from Fry's ($169.00 each). I have now 100 hours of recording space. Just in time for Fall TV shows.

BTW I used the LBA48 Upgrade CD.
Xezoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #222
binki

it's not looking good

Data Lifeguard throws up its hands and says there are too many errors. Is there any chance SpinRite or any other floppy-based utility would be able to patch this thing up? I have all the time in the world; if I have to run a program a thousand times, fixing a bit or two each time, that's fine with me.

So one of my drives seems to have copied successfully, and the other is dead unless there's some good utility out there that can reanimate it.

Assuming the worst, what are my options now? Is there any way to try to save the drive's worth that successfully made it to the new drive? What can I do with the other new drive, which is presumably still blank right now? Do I need to format it or bless it or something?
Old 09-24-2005, 08:14 AM   #223
HomeUser

First make sure that you have a very good EIDE 133 ribbon cable a lot of hard drive problems are caused by bad cables or using the old IDE cables (half the wires) with new HD's.

I would give SpinRite a try, then of course I all ready purchased a copy for the computer that I use to do TiVo setup. SpinRite worked for me recovered all data on the @%$!! 200G Maxtor drive.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #224
binki

Hm.

Used Data Lifeguard, which didn't do much, but I guess it fixed things a little. We put the limping drives back into the TiVo to capture the valuable recordings to video. That worked, we erased all the recordings, and then back into the PC. We uttered the appropriate incantations to copy the drives onto the new ones. It kicked out a lot of errors but didn't give up like it had the last time; just complained a lot and finally got back to the octothorpe. Took the drives out, put them in the TiVo and now it's looping, GSOD to startup to "just a few minutes please" to GSOD.

It's not currently plugged into a phone line, but will be soon.
Think it'll resurrect itself?
Old 09-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #225
azitnay

You could give it a shot, but if it's looping a ton very quickly, probably not. Did you give it enough swap to complete the GSOD?

Drew
Old 10-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #226
Nightfall

I just wanted to write a note saying thanks for everyone's assistance here. I upgraded my HDVR2s a few years ago using 160GB upgrade drives from the 40GB that were in the machines. After both machines started having rebooting problems with the 6.2 upgrade, I got replacement Phillips 708s. I just upgraded those to 250gb hard drives.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Nightfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #227
smacdon

I upgraded my Series 1 HDR112 to a 250gig hard drive using Ver 4.0 of the PTVUgrade CD. All went well, except went I attempted to Copykern. I got the following error:

tpip: unknown boot block signature: ox132027f0

The Tivo works OK, but the Kernel has definitely not been replaced on the Tivo. Anyone know what this error might mean?
smacdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #228
BobCamp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdon
I upgraded my Series 1 HDR112 to a 250gig hard drive using Ver 4.0 of the PTVUgrade CD. All went well, except went I attempted to Copykern. I got the following error:

The Tivo works OK, but the Kernel has definitely not been replaced on the Tivo. Anyone know what this error might mean?
Don't know what the error means, but if the kernel didn't copy over, your Tivo will die before the end of the month.

If you can't get copykern to work, the Instantcake image has LBA48 support.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:26 PM   #229
smacdon

Yep, I found that out. I started losing previously recorded programs. I managed to get the new kernel copied over by running the TPIP command directly, not through copykern. Don't know why it worked, but it did.
smacdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #230
brooksnicholai

hours wrong after upgrade??

I just upgraded my series 1 tivo using the ptvupgrade cd with LBA48 support.

I have a 200gig WD hdd. The upgrade went smoothly except when I ran copykern the first time it couldn't find the kernel on the cd-rom as it wasn't mounted properly, so I mounted the cd-rom and reran copykern with success.

During the upgrade mfs tools said my upgrade was 222 hours up from 21 hours. I replaced the 21 hour drive with the 200 gig drive as it was failing.

However when I placed the new 200gig drive in the tivo and when to the info screen, it said I have 247 hours?? what gives. This seems high. I'm worried that it didn't work properly.

Any ideas?
brooksnicholai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:20 AM   #231
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksnicholai
I just upgraded my series 1 tivo using the ptvupgrade cd with LBA48 support.

I have a 200gig WD hdd. The upgrade went smoothly except when I ran copykern the first time it couldn't find the kernel on the cd-rom as it wasn't mounted properly, so I mounted the cd-rom and reran copykern with success.

During the upgrade mfs tools said my upgrade was 222 hours up from 21 hours. I replaced the 21 hour drive with the 200 gig drive as it was failing.

However when I placed the new 200gig drive in the tivo and when to the info screen, it said I have 247 hours?? what gives. This seems high. I'm worried that it didn't work properly.

Any ideas?
The recording time displayed by your TiVo appears accurate for a Series 1.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:44 PM   #232
Krookut

I'm in the process of changing out failed drives in a Series 1 SVR 2000 with a 250 GB drive, do I specify a 250 MB swap file? Thanks for any help.
Krookut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #233
azitnay

127MB (the max you can specify without tpip) is enough for a 250GB drive.

Drew
Old 10-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #234
Krookut

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay

Drew
Thanks!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 PM   #235
simonalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay

Drew
I used InstantCake to prepare a 300GB drive for use in my 240040A (single-drive configuration). Should I be okay in terms of swap size? I used the Instant Cake download designated for TCD240 units that have already upgraded to 7.1b, and after the upgrade my TiVo re-downloaded the 7.2 update. I haven't had any problems thus far, but I'm worried by the reports of upgraded TiVos not being able to recover from a crash post-7.2 if they have insufficient swap space.
simonalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM   #236
bmatson

copykern "tpip: unknown boot block signature..."

First of all, thanks to all the dedicated hackers that keep me and my Tivo happy.

I just restored a backup (mfsrestore -s 300 ...) to a 300 Gb drive (previously a windows XP NTFS drive), booting from the PTV ver 4.01 CD. (BTW the 300 Mb swap is anticipating a possible 2nd 300 Gb drive in the future.)

I then ran copykern (no arguments... I never saw any doc specifying arguments to this command), and assumed it would properly initialize the 300 Mb swap. But among the output was a suspicious line that said:

"tpip: Unknown boot block signature: 0x0"
"Kernel Updated"

Does this indicate a failure in tpip? Did I not initialize swap properly? How can I tell? I don't really want to replace the drive in my SAT T-60 until I know for sure.

Is it possible that it is complaining about where it stored the original kernel? I had my backup (FAT) drive mounted on /mnt/dos but copykern copied the original kernel (as backup) onto /mnt/kernel.original. (I'm not concerned about the success of this original kernel backup.) Just a thought.

Can I safely repeat this command (copykern) to try again?

I did a search and found this message referred to several times, but with no information as to whether it is a problem or not. Any ideas on how to tell, or instructions on how to redo this manually.

In the meantime, I'll watch a few backlogged DVDs.

Thanks.
bmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #237
Krookut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdon

I also got this message after restoring to a 250GB drive and running copykern.

Smacdon, could you tell me how to use tpip to transfer the kernel? I don't know what commands to use with tpip.

Or at least how do I make the drive usable, even if only for 137 GB? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #238
Spotty53

computer won't boot from PTV 4.01 CD

I've downloaded PTVupgrade 4.01 and burned it onto CD as ISO image.
I went to test it out on 2 different computers and it won't boot.
What am I doing wrong?
Spotty53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:09 AM   #239
dsmturbo

Spotty53, what program did you use to burn the image file? Sounds like all you have on your CD is the actual .ISO file.
I use Nero and Under Recorder menu ( I think it is) Choose Burn Image
dsmturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #240
Spotty53

I used Nero and burned as "ISO image" the file I downloaded from PTVupgrade, LBA48 CD v. 4.01 --- ptvlba48-4.01.iso
What am I doing wrong?
Spotty53 is offline   Reply With Quote