TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #121
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I assume you are talking about printing the instructions. A very good idea...I'd add a downloadable Word or text file you can print.

by tomorrow this would be done? very anxious to get started in hacking my unit
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:07 PM   #122
redplanet

thanks much.

So, what would be the best use of this unit for me? I guess I can still hack it to get the kick out of it.

-mars
redplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #123
JediKnight2

DANG...right after I bought the PTVNet CD, PTV Boot...I even ended up buying the InstantCake CD JUST TO MAKE SURE I always had a virgin 6.2 install...One ? about InstantCake if anyone knows...is there any difference between the DSR7000 and DSR704 version of InstantCake...those are the two Phillips DVR's I have..

I am going to hack my 7000 after I get the 704 up and running and will try the Zipper method on this one just to see the difference...

THANKS for the hard work..!!
JediKnight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #124
luken8628

ok, i never got to the step to run tweak.sh because im not sure how to telnet to my tivo without wireless network. Do i have to directly wire it to my computer in order to run this script?
luken8628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #125
Redux
No intent to annoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Set it as master. It should work fine
Yes.

Some drives have a setting for master with and without slave, also a cable select. Every new Tivo drive I have ever seen comes set for cable select.

My preference is not to use the cable select, just straight master ("single without slave" if that's an option), based on purely anecdotal experience, but with hundreds of drives.

BTW you'e been nominated for the JJBliss "NOT blessed by any means" Guide award. Quite an honor, congrats!
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:36 PM   #126
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken8628
ok, i never got to the step to run tweak.sh because im not sure how to telnet to my tivo without wireless network. Do i have to directly wire it to my computer in order to run this script?
wired network usb/ethernet adapter into a router.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:37 PM   #127
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
Yes.

Some drives have a setting for master with and without slave, also a cable select. Every new Tivo drive I have ever seen comes set for cable select.

My preference is not to use the cable select, just straight master ("single without slave" if that's an option), based on purely anecdotal experience, but with hundreds of drives.

BTW you'e been nominated for the JJBliss "NOT blessed by any means" Guide award. Quite an honor, congrats!
Hmm
I've not seen any mentionof us on DDB yet.
Hope it stays that way.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 PM   #128
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight2
DANG...right after I bought the PTVNet CD, PTV Boot...I even ended up buying the InstantCake CD JUST TO MAKE SURE I always had a virgin 6.2 install...One ? about InstantCake if anyone knows...is there any difference between the DSR7000 and DSR704 version of InstantCake...those are the two Phillips DVR's I have..

I am going to hack my 7000 after I get the 704 up and running and will try the Zipper method on this one just to see the difference...

THANKS for the hard work..!!
There are differences between the different flavors of Instantcake and 6.2 software images. They are pretty subtle, and you shouldn't have any trouble using them interchangeably.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:31 PM   #129
F1 Fan

ok im back and succesfull it work great This Zipper script helped alot and even though it made things easy for us newbies its still help me understand what i was doing This is great Thank you

ok i pull the 120GB hd of the tivo and put it away,i then grabbed an 160GB hd follow the Zipper instruction and was able to load 6.2 image,3.1.5kernel, and all the hacks,my system info screen says account in good standing,but is asking me to make a call so i can use the DVR options,any idea what should i do?be easy on me im a newbie

Thanks
F1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #130
rbautch
User

See post 112.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 PM   #131
F1 Fan

Thanks,I whent there Im not running SP2 so i guess i cant telnet,i connected a usb/ethernet adapter but no sign of life,

BTW thanks for the quick responce
Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 PM   #132
rbautch
User

Did you connect your Tivo to your router? Check the router to see the IP address that was assigned to your Tivo? I added more information on network setup to the Zipper instructions just now. Have a look at the last few steps.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 PM   #133
rbautch
User

There is now a printable set of instructions included on the tools disk download.

or

Old 10-18-2005, 12:18 AM   #134
bnm81002

Quote:
There is now a printable set of instructions included on the tools disk download.

this is EXCELLENT, just wondering why you couldn't adjust the Zipper website itself to be printable? great job as always, thank you
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:32 AM   #135
F1 Fan

Quote:
Did you connect your Tivo to your router? Check the router to see the IP address that was assigned to your Tivo? I added more information on network setup to the Zipper instructions just now. Have a look at the last few steps.

wow got eveything connected whent to my DHCP table found my ip,executed the script and picked my choices and done now i whent to your sig for the wireless script and im a litle confused about installing it,would you mind telling me which way you recommend,im still connected to the tivo through the usb/ethernet adapter,should i run the sh net-launch.sh or go straight to tivosh setSSIDwep.tcl command?I also have a NetGear WG111 wireless adapter if that helps(with the right serial #)

BTW this is awsome i got everything in

Thank You

Last edited by F1 Fan : 10-18-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:44 AM   #136
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Fan
wow got eveything connected whent to my DHCP table found my ip,executed the script and picked my choices and done now i whent to your sig for the wireless script and im a litle confused about installing it,would you mind telling me which way you recommend,im still connected to the tivo through the usb/ethernet adapter,should i run the sh net-launch.sh or this tivosh setSSIDwep.tcl command?I also have a NetGear WG111 wireless adapter if that helps(with the right serial #)

BTW this is awsome i got everything in

Thank You
Tivosh setSSIDweb.tcl would be appropriate if you already set your static IP parmaters with the tweak script. However your WG111 is not compatible with 6.2. Read this and this .

or

Last edited by rbautch : 10-18-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 AM   #137
F1 Fan

ok,I also have the Lynksys game adapter the WGA54G can i use this one with this script?
BTW i whent with DHCP not static,is that ok?

Thanks

Last edited by F1 Fan : 10-18-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:05 AM   #138
F1 Fan

ok i did it,Im using the WGA54G wireless adapter with 802.11g and its working great.Want to thank you guys for all you help specially rbautch and Gunnyman you guys are great fast answers and give us the rookie a chance to do this.

Thanks guys
Old 10-18-2005, 07:26 AM   #139
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Do I need a version specific "Instantcake" for each model Directivo I have? It looks like I have to choose the model Tivo I am hacking on the purchase page, is this right??

I guess the *larger* question is: Are there any files/drivers/apps/etc that I have to get that *is* Tivo model specific?

If I read this right, I can use the original drive in my Tivo (saving the cost of purchasing a new drive) w/o worry *if* I have an "InstantCake" disk - right?

Thanks
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #140
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

steve, I always recomend getting a new HD to anyone hacking a TiVo.
Put the old one in a drawer in case you need it.
But yes, you can instantcake back to a factory drive as long as you are using the instantcake specific to your DTivo model.
As for what the differences are between instantcakes, they are subtle, but mostly the different installs are available based on factory HD sizes, for instance a DVR80 image will not fit on a DVR40 unit. The other error you will run into is what is known as a 51 error, basically the unit notices it is running the wrong software. 51killer.tcl in /busybox fixes that problem.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:22 PM   #141
JediKnight2

NOT that Im picky...cause you guys are AWESOME for doing this...but...one typo

cd/
should be
cd /

Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM   #142
luken8628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
wired network usb/ethernet adapter into a router.
Thanks will try tonight and let you know status
luken8628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:12 PM   #143
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux
Yes.

Yeah, but Gunny and Russ won't be at "Legend Level" until the Guide gets "deprecated"
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #144
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Sleeper has weighed in here and that's all the validation I need
Old 10-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #145
fonzarelli

The new drive is up, no crashes in 12 hours. Thanks yet again!
fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #146
JWThiers
Smartypants

Thumbs up

Quote:
Looks great, but Gunny's favorite screenshot isn't in it. You Guys ROCK. I truly wish that the folks over at the other forum were as NooB freindly as you guys are. Thanks alot for all the help.
JWThiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:11 PM   #147
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Fonzie! YAY! Now go jump a shark or something
JW, We aim to please!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 PM   #148
tsunami

In my humble opinion, the greatest thing about "The Zipper" is the peace of mind of knowing you are never more than a drive to Best Buy away, and about 5 mins of answering Y or N to a restored TiVO.
Ganted, if your hard drive crashes, you do lose programs, but you will be back recording before Gunnyman can scold you for editing rc.sysint.author in Windows notepad.
Thanks guys, great job.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #149
JediKnight2

Because we all know "editing rc.sysint.author in Windows notepad" = NO WORKEY!! I might have to sit down after my DTivo is done and come up with a NO WORKEY FAQ!
Old 10-18-2005, 05:01 PM   #150
c0met

Great post guys.....and great work also; you two deserve a lot of credit...
i just have one question....after i zippered my 250 gb drive and installed it in the tivo and it goes thru the guided setup...it then goes to channel 201 (the info channel) and then i change it to another channel....it says "you have inserted the wrong access card " and gives me the card no. and it is the same card that i have ...i only have one......i didnt telnet into it yet, i stopped after that and wondered what was the problem....any ideas?
c0met is offline   Reply With Quote