Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-17-2005, 12:11 PM   #91
Gunnyman
Peekols

Quote:
Originally Posted by luken8628
I have been looking at hacking a tivo for the past month now and actually made the mistake of using the 4.x hack, not realizing that 6.2 was hackable. I have a Hughes Directivo and want to enable HMO features. Will the zipper do that for me?
yes
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #92
luken8628

thanks for the prompt response, i will apply the hack tonight and let you know the status
luken8628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 PM   #93
rbautch
User

Arthur,

Duplicate processes are normal, frequent reboots are not. There's nothing in the script that would cause this. Even if your drive was working fine before, a switch to a newly active partition when the Zipper ran could be exposing a problem with the drive. I suggest giving it a few days to see if the reboots stop. If you have a spare drive, try running the Zipper on it to confirm that the problem is indeed the drive. You could also try to run the drive manufacturer's diagnostics on it. Latly, check your logs in Tivowebplus (kernel log, tvlog) to see if there's anything that might indicate a HD or other problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:25 PM   #94
fonzarelli

Thank you both for the quick responses. I'll check the logs tonight. I did notice the hard drive was very active last night (and noisy).

I had two 120 gig drives in the machine before, running the sleeper hack. It was crashing on me about once a day. I was blaming the hacks when it may have been a drive problem all along. Now I'm glad that I only put one drive back in...

Thanks again,

AF

Last edited by fonzarelli : 10-17-2005 at 12:49 PM.
fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:40 PM   #95
jed5426

nice work gunny....any plans for a script to work with 4.0.1b hacked to 6.2 via slices?
jed5426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:51 PM   #96
Gunnyman
Peekols

do you mean a script that will slice from 4.01b to 6.2 for you?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #97
rbautch
User

If you already hacked it with slices, then just use the enhancement script in my signature. If you meant hacking from 4.01b to 6.2 with a new script, then no, there are no plans to do that (I doubt it's even possible). It's just a easy to start over and re-image the drive with the Zipper. If you want to save your recordings, extract or MRV them to another Tivo (which can be had for $35). If you want to preserve your season passes, make a backup using TWP, and then restore them after you install 6.2.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #98
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
steve, at this time the problem with wireless G is Linux.
There are only a handfull of wireless G adapater chipsets with Linux drivers.
Those drivers have yet to be incorporated into any TiVo software besides 7.x and users are reporting not much faster than B speeds.
Now onto Wireless on 6.2. 6.2 software does not have the configuration screens that allow you to enter SSID and encryption keys.
Hey Gun - thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to try it. I suppose when drivers are available for G series wireless adapters, I'll be able to telnet them in - right?

Wireless bridges.. hmm is that an AP - or something else?

Thanks!
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #99
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
There is a list of compatible wireless adapters on the Tivo website. Only the 802.11b adapters will work with 6.2, or you can use a wired adapter with a wireless bridge as described in many posts on TCF. On the left side of the Zipper website, there's a link to instructions on setting up wireless on 6.2 with a wireless usb adapter. The catch is that you need a serial cable or wired adapter initially to run the script that sets up wireless. A future version of the Zipper may change that. The 802.11b adapters work fine for me as far as speed. I can initiate a trasfer from one Tivo to another, and begin watching it immediately. By the time the first commercials roll around, I've built up enough buffer to skip through them. I use an MA111 and WUSB11.
Thanks - good info to know. I'm gonna have to check this out myself - soon.
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #100
Gunnyman
Peekols

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecon
Hey Gun - thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to try it. I suppose when drivers are available for G series wireless adapters, I'll be able to telnet them in - right?

Wireless bridges.. hmm is that an AP - or something else?

Thanks!
A Bridge connects wireless networks togther while a WAP extends a network.
I'm sure there are more technical explanations out there, but I'm not a network geek
Old 10-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #101
fonzarelli

Quote:
your ps output looks normal.
What's going on when tivo reboots?
Restarting Tivowebplus can trigger a reboot.
sorry, I missed the question. The last reboot occurred while I was sleeping. It crashed about 8 hours before that while I was watching a recorded show. I think rbautch is on to something with the HD. I'll try another drive tonight. Thanks for the help and all the work you guys have done on this.
fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #102
Sleeper

It has been a while since I peered into the Tivo Hacking Forums.

I am glad to see that someone is following in my footsteps. I am certain that some will trash you guys for becoming "Glory Whores" when your only intention is to HELP others easily hack their Tivos. For this you are to be commended.

The Knoppix-Lite ISO that I created could be used as an alternate to the PTV disk. It has a very small footprint, LBA48 Tivo compiled kernel and many of the Series 2 tools. You could also automate you script to start as I did with TivoScripts. If you search around you should be able to find a download site for it.

Regards,

Sleeper
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #103
Gunnyman
Peekols

Thanks Sleeper!
Your ISO was certainly our inspiration.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:05 PM   #104
rbautch
User

Thank you Sleeper! High praise indeed coming from a legend like yourself.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 06:17 PM   #105
bnm81002

hey guys,
is there anyway that you can shrink the webpage? it's hard to print it out, the edges are cut off(portrait version) and the first page is scrambled(landscape version) thanks guys
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM   #106
rbautch
User

I assume you are talking about printing the instructions. A very good idea...I'd add a downloadable Word or text file you can print.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 07:28 PM   #107
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I assume you are talking about printing the instructions. A very good idea...I'd add a downloadable Word or text file you can print.

oops, yes that's what I was referring to, sorry bout that, thanks
you guys did a tremendous job with the Zipper
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 PM   #108
luken8628

ok i just used the zipper to hack my directivo, it was very easy to use, however i have a few questions. When i reinstalled the new hdd after using the zipper. tivo prompted me with an error 51. What can i do to solve this. and next when i bought the instantcake cd i bought the one meant for my hughes directivo like the zipper guide said, but after applying the zipper to the hdd i dont see any network settings to be able connect the tivo to my network for ftp, telenet etc. was i supposed to buy an image for a standalone s2 tivo in order to apply this hack on a directivo?
Old 10-17-2005, 07:30 PM   #109
summerall

I need some help...

I connect cdrom as hda and harddrive as hdc.

Insert PTV boot cd and boot from it.

> Please press "F1-F6" for more instructions blah blah or hit <enter> to boot.

I press ENTER

> Please hit <enter> to continue!

I press ENTER again

>PTVupgrade/#

I assume is this the scary looking prompt and so replace cd's with the Tools cd and I type:

mount /dev/hda/cdrom

Then I press ENTER

>mount: can't find /dev/hda/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Help what am I doing wrong???
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:32 PM   #110
luken8628

mount /dev/hda/cdrom

Then I press ENTER

>mount: can't find /dev/hda/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

you need a space in there it should read:
mount /dev/hda /cdrom
Old 10-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #111
Gunnyman
Peekols

Quote:
ok i just used the zipper to hack my directivo, it was very easy to use, however i have a few questions. When i reinstalled the new hdd after using the zipper. tivo prompted me with an error 51. What can i do to solve this. and next when i bought the instantcake cd i bought the one meant for my hughes directivo like the zipper guide said, but after applying the zipper to the hdd i dont see any network settings to be able connect the tivo to my network for ftp, telenet etc. was i supposed to buy an image for a standalone s2 tivo in order to apply this hack on a directivo?
to get rid of error 51, telnet in and run 51killer.tcl
as for your 2nd question, there aren't any network setup screens in 6.2
BUT, the excellent tivoweb install included in the Zipper has the netconfig module built in.
Just make sure you are running DHCP.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #112
luken8628

alright, so in order to telnet to my tivo i have to find the ip from the router.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:15 PM   #113
Gunnyman
Peekols

correct
your router should have a dhcp table in there someplace
Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #114
summerall

gunny -

I've hacked my drive but before I put it in my tivo should the jumper be set to anything in particular?

Thanks
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #115
rbautch
User

Quote:
When you ran tweak.sh, it should have said: "No network parameters found in MFS. Do you want to enter them now? "
This is the place to enter the IP address of your Tivo and router. Or, you can use TWP after the fact.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 08:23 PM   #116
Gunnyman
Peekols

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerall
gunny -

I've hacked my drive but before I put it in my tivo should the jumper be set to anything in particular?

Thanks
Set it as master. It should work fine
Old 10-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #117
rbautch
User

Quote:
6.2 software does not have the configuration screens that allow you to enter (wireless) SSID and encryption keys. You CAN use wireless B on 6.2 but you have to configure it in Tivoweb using a wired adapter 1st.
You cannot set wireless params from scratch using TWP/wired adapter. What DOES work is the wireless script in my signature. After you set up wireless params with the script, you can modify them in TWP.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #118
Gunnyman
Peekols

thanks rbautch I had forgotten that
Old 10-17-2005, 09:01 PM   #119
redplanet

weird question:

I bought a dsr7000 from someone but I am a dish subscriber. thought to buy dsr7000 so that I can play with it.

que:
1. can I input the dsr7000 from dish receiver via s-video or composite and record the events. ofcourse after hacking.
2. also, can I schedule to record future events for 10-15 hours. I beleive dsr will let me record ~30hrs with 40g.
3. If 1 and 2 is good can I output the recorded to some media for permanent save.

Please, help the needy.

-mars
redplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:03 PM   #120
Gunnyman
Peekols

nope
a Directv Tivo will ONLY work with DTV.