Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #61
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
ok have a problem copying the "superpatch-67all" and the "set-mrv" to the tools disk, when I extracted the files of the superpatch-67all.tar, I get the 2 files as "TCL file" and not "winRAR archive", what do I need to do to correct this? thanks
I'm gonna have russ remove that dang screenshot
if it says tcl file that's what you need.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #62
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Fan
ok i finally got it to go through without any errors,but when i plug the hdd in the tivo it just sits on the Welcome.... screen any inputs its appriciated.

Thanks
I'll ask again, did you use the kernel from the 5 dollar PTV boot disk?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #63
summerall

I'm ready to burn my "Tools CD" and there is one thing that doesn't look right in the CD directory structure. According to the screen shot in the zipper installation instructions the "000001" file is 87,824 KB however my "000001" file is 280,398 KB. Why are these files different sizes??? I got my 000001 file from the $20 Instantcake CD in the _IMAGES folder.
summerall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 PM   #64
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

dang screenshot! Has caused more questions than any thing else.
Your instant cake image size will be different depending on which DTivo you have. It's fine.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #65
F1 Fan

no i got the kernel from an EMule link that i got from the DealData... guys,its not about the $5 hell my hobbys have cost me alot more money then that,i just rather not use CCs online.
F1 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #66
summerall

Ahh, ok that makes sense now. I know that SS is causing you headaches but to me it was very, very helpful.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #67
rbautch
User

I'm rather fond of the screenshot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 09:59 PM   #68
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Fan
no i got the kernel from an EMule link that i got from the ************ guys,its not about the $5 hell my hobbys have cost me alot more money then that,i just rather not use CCs online.
they take paypal
like I have been TRYING to tell you. The BOOT CD has known working kernels.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:49 PM   #69
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
I'm gonna have russ remove that dang screenshot
if it says tcl file that's what you need.

ok just wanted to make sure, cause when I try to open the 2 files with winrar, it wouldn't open up? what would I need to open the 2 files? I wanna make sure there were no problems with the downloads, the tivotools, InstantCake image and S2 3.1.5 kernel were fine, thanks again
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #70
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

the two files are .tcl files.
They are just scripts
once you unpack setmrvname and superpatch from teh .zip file, you just copy them to your cd.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #71
kramerboy
Jelly Man

If you really want to see what inside, you can open those .tcl files up in Metapad or some other Unix capable text editor. Once they are open, you can look at the script to see what is being done when they are executed. You can also do this for the .sh files as well.

For me, looking inside these scripts has been a great learning experience to see what is being done "behind the scenes"when they are run.

Excellent work Gunny and rbautch!!!
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #72
bnm81002

ok thanks guys, just wanna make sure before I burn a CD, I'd rather just burn 1 correct CD than burning several CD's if wrong things were in the tools disk, thanks again, I can't sleep, this Zipper has got me all fired up
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 AM   #73
adavidw

Wow. After putting off this project for over a year, I finally gathered my wits about me and fully hacked a DSR7000 yesterday! So today, I look and see "Hacking your Series 2 DTivo just got a WHOLE lot easier..." Ranksarot. You couldn't have bumped this up by a day? Sheesh.

Nah, I'm just kidding. I followed your unguide and then did rbautch's script when I did my hacking yesterday, and it went really smoothly. I think I've got a better understanding of things from having to go through step by step, so I'm better prepared for when something goes wrong. So, thanks a ton for the unguide, and I'll be sure to use the zipper on my next TiVo.

-Aaron
adavidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:32 AM   #74
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Day late and a Dollar short eh?
Old 10-17-2005, 09:17 AM   #75
stevecon
Wicked Awesome!

I'm anxious to try this out but.. I'm extremely well versed with DOS, but Linux is suffers from "Operator Headspace" I've got Fedora Core 4 and am lost.. Needless to say, the Zipper sounds like it shouldn't be problematic, but if you know me - you know that troubles *finds* me. ::sigh::
What about other Network adapters? I'd like to use wireless types, but the only one supported is the Linky 11M type, I'd think that there'd be excessive file xfer time between Tivos. Is there no demand for a wireless 54M type?. The cost of getting cat5 cable everywhere is prohibitive.
stevecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 AM   #76
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

steve, at this time the problem with wireless G is Linux.
There are only a handfull of wireless G adapater chipsets with Linux drivers.
Those drivers have yet to be incorporated into any TiVo software besides 7.x and users are reporting not much faster than B speeds.
Now onto Wireless on 6.2. 6.2 software does not have the configuration screens that allow you to enter SSID and encryption keys. You CAN use wireless B on 6.2 but you have to configure it in Tivoweb using a wired adapter 1st.
What is becoming a very popular solution is a wired USB adapter like the netgear FA120 run into a wireless bridge. I'm using Mortorola Bridges in my setup and I get very nice MRV transfer speeds.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:27 AM   #77
rbautch
User

There is a list of compatible wireless adapters on the Tivo website. Only the 802.11b adapters will work with 6.2, or you can use a wired adapter with a wireless bridge as described in many posts on TCF. On the left side of the Zipper website, there's a link to instructions on setting up wireless on 6.2 with a wireless usb adapter. The catch is that you need a serial cable or wired adapter initially to run the script that sets up wireless. A future version of the Zipper may change that. The 802.11b adapters work fine for me as far as speed. I can initiate a trasfer from one Tivo to another, and begin watching it immediately. By the time the first commercials roll around, I've built up enough buffer to skip through them. I use an MA111 and WUSB11.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #78
summerall

Few quick questions...

The hard drive I'll run zipper on was previously installed in a winxp box as the main C: drive. I've pulled it out of haven't done a thing to it. Will this drive be OK to use? Do I have to prep it in any way before I run the zipper instructions? It is a 7200 WD 60 gig drive.

One of the enhancement scripts installs USB 2.0 drivers. What are the benefit of these drivers? Should I install them if I only plan to run only a WIRED network? I'll be using a Linksys 100TX usb adapter.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #79
rbautch
User

Hard drive is fine, no prep necessary. USB 2.0 drivers increase the speed of MRV transfers and video extraction (which can't be discussed further here). They are only useful on wired connections, since the 802.11b wireless speeds limit the speed on wireless connections.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #80
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

well USB 1.1 is what 11 megabit?
USB 2.0 is much faster, so unless you are going to be wired, or using a wired connection into a wireless G bridge, there's no need for 2.0 drivers, but there's no harm in installing them either since 2.0 will fall back to 1.1 if it needs to.
and your 60 gig XP drive will be fine since the image install will totally wipe the drive.
Just be aware the 7200 RPM drives run hotter than 5400 rpm ones.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #81
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

lol rbautch we keep smeeking each other
Old 10-17-2005, 10:27 AM   #82
kramerboy
Jelly Man

edit: Wow... everyone types way faster than me!
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #83
merlincc
Bonafide Tivophile

Just wanted to give you guys kudo's for this. The last year and a half have been a blast for me with all the hacking, testing, rehacking, screwing up and rehacking again. I wouldn't have missed it for anything since I learned so much in the process. I suggest anyone who wants to learn about the behind the scenes stuff do it the old way and have fun. If you screw it up you always have "The Zipper" to make things right.

Awesome job!
Lifetime TiVo Subscription
merlincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 AM   #84
Zeeland49464

Can I use the Zipper to enable my DVR40 to see the rest of the 160GB drive I added already? At present it sees only 137GB. How would I do that otherwise?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 AM   #85
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

zeeland,
the only way to get the full 160 gigs is to start from scratch blanking out the drive and losing recordings.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:43 AM   #86
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardcpa
Looking at Gunny's avatar and hearing him say over and over again, "You must try my Zipper, go ahead you won't be disappointed"
Thanks for the idea.

or

Old 10-17-2005, 11:55 AM   #87
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

touch my monkey
touch him LOVE HIM!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #88
fonzarelli

Thank You

Zipper was very easy to use. I was finished in under an hour last night.

My Tivo is rebooting quite a bit now. I used the kernel from the "$5 CD" and followed your instructions. I've included a text doc with my running processes. Is it normal to have that many duplicate processes running?

Please let me know if you would like more info.

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: txt tivo processes.txt (7.5 KB, 168 views)
fonzarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #89
luken8628

I have been looking at hacking a tivo for the past month now and actually made the mistake of using the 4.x hack, not realizing that 6.2 was hackable. I have a Hughes Directivo and want to enable HMO features. Will the zipper do that for me?
luken8628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 PM   #90
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

your ps output looks normal.
What's going on when tivo reboots?
Restarting Tivowebplus can trigger a reboot.