TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2003, 04:41 PM   #1
jlc

Network Caller ID (NCID)

This entire thread was lost when the database was restored, so I am repeating the announcement and what I can remember of my two replies to two other posts.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

The home page for NCID (formally TiVoCID) has moved to http://ncid.sourceforge.net The project page is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid/

NCID is a network based Caller-ID package that includes a Caller-ID server and client.

The server runs on Linux, TiVo (DirecTiVo, or Series 1 - requires external modem or internal modem mod), FreeBSD, and Macintosh OS X. Most people run the server on Linux.

The client runs on the same platforms as the server, and also Windows. Also included are Linux client interface scripts that will speak the caller's name, email the CID information to a cell phone or text pager, or send a CID message to a Windows system.

There is also a separate Linux NCID client package for LCD displays.

See the web page for a list of NCID features and client pictures.

COMMENTS TO LOST POSTS:

The NCID protocol is different from YAC, but it is a simple line based protocol that is documented in the source distribution. The file NCID-FORMAT describes the line formats, and the file PROTOCOL describes how to implement a client or server.

I am not familiar with YACC, but I believe the server connects to a listener when it receives the CID information from the modem, and it disconnects after it is sent. With NCID, the clients connect to the server and stay connected. When the server receives the CID information from the modem, it sends it to all connected clients. This permits the clients to receive the CID log from the server at connect without the need for a local copy.

NCID does include a Windows client distribution in the package. The web page also has a third party link to NCIDpop, a native Windows and Macintosh client. I also know of another third party windows client in development.

NCID has many features features, and it runs on multiple platforms. See the above web page for the feature list. The last feature added was the ability of a client to do a action based on a ring number or end of ringing. For instance, my client will send CID information to my cell phone only if it see ring 3.

---
John
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
jlc

I have updated the NCID and NCIDpop Caller ID packages at sourceforge. It includes some fixes to the NCIDD server and some NCID client updates. The Windows client, NCIDpop had several features added including the ability to look up received phone numbers on the Internet. See http://ncid.sourceforge.net for more information.

I have been working on the display program, out2osd, for TiVoCID and it now uses the libosd-0.4.1 library, for both a Series1 and a Series2 TiVo, at http://www.************.com/forum/sh...9&page=1&pp=15

The NCID TiVo client works OK on a Series1, but I do not have a Series2 to test. If someone would like to test it for me, I can email you the binary of out2osd for testing on a Series2. If it works OK, I can release the current source and binaries on sourceforge. I would also like someone to test the server package on a Series2, so I can also send it for testing. The server package is just a cross compile from the latest released source.

John
Old 08-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #3
dmark1867

NCID Tivoweb Log Shortcut

John or anyone,

There is a module for tivoweb that adds a shortcut to display a "CALLER ID" button on your tivowebplus

See:
http://www.************.com/forum/sh...oto=nextoldest

I think it may also change the formating so the log is easier to read (I could be wrong about that though).

Is there or can someone create a module that will do the same with NCID?

The log file is located at
/var/hack/log/cidcall.log

The log file does not look as clean as the elseed log.

Also, when I look at my log file from within tivoweb I do not even see this log file

Any Idea's?

Thanks!
dmark1867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
jlc

I do not know of a module for NCID, but here is a modification of calleridlog.itcl, called ncid.itcl. I do not know if it will work as I can not try it out, but hopefully it will help you.
Quote:
# NCID Log shortcut
######################################
proc action_callerid {chan path env} {
action_callerid $chan $path $env
}
######################################
register_module "logs/cidcall.log/" "NCID" "Shortcut to NCID LOG"

Old 08-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #5
jlc

NCID version 0.60 and NCIDpop 0.9.10 have been released.

NCID release 0.60 adds support for slow responding modems, the NetCallerID standalone device, and for Distinctive Ring. The server configuration file has changed and aliases were moved to a separate alias file. Configuration files were added for the client, log file rotation, and for the various support scripts. There was also some code improvements and bug fixes.

NCIDpop 0.9.10 adds support for the new NCID message format required for distinctive ring. The Macintosh version was fixed to compile again, and has a new binary package.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
jlc

NCID version 0.61 has been released. Also a new package called ncidmod that contains two TivoWebPlus modules. One to view the log file formatted, and one to view the raw log file. For more information see http://ncid.sourceforge.net
Old 09-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

This sounds really cool...
Does anyone have this up and running on 6.2? If so, what are your comments.
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
dmark1867

I am running 6.2 on my tivo and I kept having issues with elseed. I have been running NCID on it know and it is rock solid on 6.2.

Danny
dmark1867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #9
shutterfriend

Anyone know if ncid will support 7.2 of TiVo soon? The out2osd gives a front buffer error.

Thanks.
shutterfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #10
darekd

I'd like to set aliases for some phone numbers but I cannot find any instruction how to do it.

I'm running successfuly NCID on my HDVR2.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:04 PM   #11
shutterfriend

darekd,

It depends what version you are running but the instructions should be included in the download in the docs directory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darekd
I'd like to set aliases for some phone numbers but I cannot find any instruction how to do it.

I'm running successfuly NCID on my HDVR2.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:00 AM   #12
darekd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterfriend
darekd,

It depends what version you are running but the instructions should be included in the download in the docs directory.
Thank you.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:06 PM   #13
shutterfriend

I take it by the response that no one is interested in this post or there is no solution to this issue.

If anyone is interested in helping me with this issue I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:16 PM   #14
jlc

There is no fix to the OSD problem at this time, but it is being worked on. The failure is in the osd library used by out2osd.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #15
shutterfriend

Thanks for the response. I am happy to hear that it is being worked on. I will wait patiently for the fix.

Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2006, 01:28 AM   #16
jlc

NCID version 0.62 has been released and NCIDpop 0.9.12 has been updated with a windows installer. The server has a couple of important fixes. The client has a new output module for MythTV and also has a windows installer. For more information see http://ncid.sourceforge.net
Old 03-16-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
jg123

Very cool. Thanks! The readme file for the scripts points to the old mythtv wiki pages, but they are no longer accesible. I think I set up ncid correctly for mythtv. Just waiting for someone to call... Seriously, it's too late to set off all the phone ringers in the house tonight, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.
jg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
jlc

The new page for Little Gems is http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Little_Gems
This contains the information on the mythtvosd program called by ncid.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #19
closetgeek

I am running NCID on my 2 DTivos and running the client on my windows PC.
What I would like to know is, is there a way to run it (the client on my windows PC) in the system tray and have it pop-up when recieving a call?
Thanks in advance
closetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #20
jlc

You need the NCIDpop package. It runs out of the system tray and will pop up when a call comes in. It also supports a a lookup on the number feature. NCIDpop is one of the packages distributed with NCID. You can download it from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ncid/ Go to Download Network Caller ID.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
closetgeek

Thank You I did not realize it was a seperate version.
Works great!
closetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #22
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

Zipper VS the NCID package

I've got caller id installed on two Series 2 boxes courtesy of the Zipper. I'd like to run the server on the unit connected to the phone line and have the other box and a windows machine run clients. Is the caller id module installed through the rbautch script usable in what I want to do or do I need to uninstall it before installing the client on the one box and the server on the other? Thanks for the thread and help.
6stringbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #23
Jameson_Prod

look for tivocid. On my installation it is under /var/hack/bin. At the bash prompt simply enter tivocid followed by the ip address of the tivo running the ncidd client followed by & ....

ie. "tivocid 192.168.1.1 &"

Good Luck.
Jameson_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:00 AM   #24
merlincc
Bonafide Tivophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson_Prod
look for tivocid. On my installation it is under /var/hack/bin. At the bash prompt simply enter tivocid followed by the ip address of the tivo running the ncidd client followed by & ....

ie. "tivocid 192.168.1.1 &"

Good Luck.
Or better yet, make the change permanent in your rc.sysinit.author file. I have 3 DTivo's and only 1 plugged into the phone. The 2 not plugged into the phone has a small change on the tivocid line. Mine looks like this:

#############################################
# starting NCID CallerID
cd /var/hack/sbin; ./ncidd
cd /var/hack/bin; ./tivocid 192.168.0.22 &
Lifetime TiVo Subscription
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
merlincc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 AM   #25
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlincc
Or better yet, make the change permanent in your rc.sysinit.author file. I have 3 DTivo's and only 1 plugged into the phone. The 2 not plugged into the phone has a small change on the tivocid line. Mine looks like this:

#############################################
# starting NCID CallerID
cd /var/hack/sbin; ./ncidd
cd /var/hack/bin; ./tivocid 192.168.0.22 &

Gotcha. One question though...would I start ncidd on the non phone connected boxes or just tivocid? My guess is only tivocid but want to make sure I'm right on this.

Last edited by 6stringbass : 03-21-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 AM   #26
farleyruskz
Nunya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringbass
Gotcha. One question though...would I start ncidd on the non phone connected boxes or just tivocid? My guess is only tivocid but want to make sure I'm right on this.
Your guess is correct.
farleyruskz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #27
6stringbass
Music + Tivo R Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farleyruskz
Your guess is correct.

Thanks. I'll get the hang of this yet.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #28
jg123

I like the idea of the mythtv plugin, but I don't like the idea that you can only see the caller-id while watching live or recorded tv. I made an xosd-based script, but I haven't tested it yet. Anyone else done one?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #29
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg123
....I don't like the idea that you can only see the caller-id while watching live or recorded tv.....
So, here I am wondering what else jg123 is watching on his tv - the menu screens??
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #30
jg123

Ok. I confess. I like reading the weather and news in Mythtv. CNN, etc.