TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2005, 09:01 PM   #991
Tom in OH

Have other HDTivos been acting strange today? Ours rebooted twice today.

thx, Tom
Old 10-02-2005, 07:29 PM   #992
A J Ricaud

To Opie: by chance do you have just 1 satellite cable, instead of 2, feeding the HD Tivo?
If so, the OTA signal meter won't work. Also, I believe that firmware version "f" fixed that.
A J Ricaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #993
tbpokestb

Losing channels

A couple of weeks ago, I got an HDTivo box from Circuit City.

My current set up is as follows:

Oval 3 LNB dish
4 lines into a 4 x 8 multiswitch ( I don't have an OTA antenna)
3 standard DTV boxes
1 HD TIVO box

The problem I am running into is that when I use my HDTivo and one tuner is on an HD channel, the other tuner cannot receive standard programming and vice versa (error message - searching for signal on satellie 1). The only way to cure this is to put both tuners on HD or both on standard. In other words, I can receive all channels, but have to tune the HD Tivo to 2 HD channels to watch without error messages. For example, last Wednesday I watched the MLB game on ESPNHD and left the house without changing the channel. Lost was set to record (on standard, as Dallas has no HD local channels through the dish). When I came home, Lost was not recorded, as the box was never able to get a signal.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
tbpokestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:41 PM   #994
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbpokestb
A couple of weeks ago, I got an HDTivo box from Circuit City.

My current set up is as follows:

Oval 3 LNB dish
4 lines into a 4 x 8 multiswitch ( I don't have an OTA antenna)
3 standard DTV boxes
1 HD TIVO box

The problem I am running into is that when I use my HDTivo and one tuner is on an HD channel, the other tuner cannot receive standard programming and vice versa (error message - searching for signal on satellie 1). The only way to cure this is to put both tuners on HD or both on standard. In other words, I can receive all channels, but have to tune the HD Tivo to 2 HD channels to watch without error messages. For example, last Wednesday I watched the MLB game on ESPNHD and left the house without changing the channel. Lost was set to record (on standard, as Dallas has no HD local channels through the dish). When I came home, Lost was not recorded, as the box was never able to get a signal.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
I can't say for sure, but it sounds as if your 4x8 multiswitch may not be cascadable. If it is, and it is working fine, then I'm at a loss.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:41 PM   #995
A J Ricaud

Check the connections on the cables first. If they are OK then it sounds like either a bad multiswitch or LNB assembly on the dish itself. Hook up your HD Tivo to the dish, bypassing the multiswitch. If that fixes the problem, then the multiswitch is bad or not cascadable (most are). If it doesn't, then the LNB assembly is bad.
A J Ricaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #996
Hrunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in OH
Have other HDTivos been acting strange today? Ours rebooted twice today.
Tom, I have an HDTiVo, recently replaced by DTV. For the past couple of weeks it's been randomly rebooting now and then. Sometimes, it looks like it's the show that causes it (it hits a certain point and reboots; then the program seems corrupt). Other times, it just happens during the middle of the day. I end up discovering when my 30 second skip goes to the end of my half-hour show.

I haven't looked into it yet. I assume it's the hard drive.
Hrunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #997
Big Daddy P

HD Tivo Vent of Anger

I was so psyched to get this box... and then it came...and then I began to actually use it...oh boy!

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be able to record in HiDef. But the rest of the box stinks out loud!

Guide is slower than molasses flowing down a polar bears tuchose at the North Pole!

The OTA tuner really is pathetic. I'm real close to my transmit towers in Miami, and I've gone thru 5 indoor antennas already. Can't watch any OTA HD station without some periodic pixellation! The signal strength is good, by the way!
Cell phone usage & microwave usage any where near it also cause pixellation!

I'd like to smack the taste out this box's mouth with a louisville slugger!

What a pain in my arse this thing is!

Hope I don't go postal...
Big Daddy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #998
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy P
The OTA tuner really is pathetic. I'm real close to my transmit towers in Miami, and I've gone thru 5 indoor antennas already. Can't watch any OTA HD station without some periodic pixellation! The signal strength is good, by the way!
If you are really close and the signal is very strong, have you tried adding an attenuator to the antenna feed to see if it helps? You may be getting too much signal.

Quote:
Never heard of that before but it could be related to too much signal as per above.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:38 PM   #999
MikeCC
TiVotee

Quote:
I was so psyched to get this box... and then it came...and then I began to actually use it...oh boy!

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be able to record in HiDef. But the rest of the box stinks out loud!

Guide is slower than molasses flowing down a polar bears tuchose at the North Pole!

I'd like to smack the taste out this box's mouth with a louisville slugger!

What a pain in my arse this thing is!

Hope I don't go postal...
You have issues that have been noted before: the guide IS slow, and because the OTA tuner is more sensitive than other tuners, you can over-modulate with too strong a signal.

Please add an attenuator as the previous poster suggested.

For specific brands/models, try a search of the threads.
MikeCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 06:56 PM   #1000
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrunting
Tom, I have an HDTiVo, recently replaced by DTV. For the past couple of weeks it's been randomly rebooting now and then. Sometimes, it looks like it's the show that causes it (it hits a certain point and reboots; then the program seems corrupt). Other times, it just happens during the middle of the day. I end up discovering when my 30 second skip goes to the end of my half-hour show.

Hrunting,
The HDTivo seems ok now after the rebooting spell... could be a normal thing. I've often wondered if it has a hidden defrag utility for when the hd is nearly full or the reboot could be triggered by a corrupt show as u said.
Also, just started using the HDMI out which has always worked perfectly(maybe not related). Thx for the reply. Is yours working ok now?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:03 PM   #1001
oldskoolboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrunting

Mine's had the same problem recently. I'm guessing it's the hard drive since I'm recording so many HD premieres, more HD shows than usual.
oldskoolboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 07:34 AM   #1002
Big Daddy P

Attenuator made it worse. Maybe I'll ask D* for a replacement box on the odd chance I've got a bad one.
Big Daddy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #1003
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten
Hi-

I wonder if it would be possible to update the FAQ at the beginning with "no standalone" to reflect the news of the cable card version from the beginning of the year? There's a press release on the TiVo site (that I can't seem to link to since I'm a newb) from Jan of this year.

Not much news on that front lately, I know, but it is the most current that I'm aware of.
Until a HD TiVo product moves out of the vapourware stage, I will not be changing the cable/standalone section.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #1004
Tom in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
Mine's had the same problem recently. I'm guessing it's the hard drive since I'm recording so many HD premieres, more HD shows than usual.
same here(more HD than usual with premieres)...happened again yesterday. That's 3 times in a week(while watching). I'm leaning toward the corrupted show theory. Several shows in the past week have been flaky with pixelation, dropouts, audio pops.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #1005
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in OH
same here(more HD than usual with premieres)...happened again yesterday. That's 3 times in a week(while watching). I'm leaning toward the corrupted show theory. Several shows in the past week have been flaky with pixelation, dropouts, audio pops.
We had that for a while and then it seemed to clear up. I feared the drive was going bad and was debatting replacing it with a dual-drive config since I haven't gotten around to upgrading it yet but it cleared up... <fingers crossed>
Old 10-09-2005, 01:59 PM   #1006
feldon23
MythBuster

Well, I am trying to update this FAQ, but of course David Bott had continued to tighten the forum restrictions for no apparent reason. I had to remove essential images/logos from my FAQ posting in order to be able to update it.

This just adds insult on top of the ridiculous Signature restrictions foisted upon us about a year ago. This forum is becoming more and more difficult to use. I visit maybe every 3-4 months to see if this FAQ needs updating. It would be a great forum if management would step aside and let it.

I fully expect a ban because that's what usually happens to helpful people here after we try to improve the forum to no avail for several years (i.e. Otto).

Last edited by feldon23 : 10-10-2005 at 12:49 PM.
feldon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #1007
MozAngeles

In Shock and Disbelief

"DirecTV TiVos and DirecTV HD TiVos will continue to function for an indefinite period but DirecTV HD TiVos will not be able to receive the HDTV programming DirecTV intends to roll out this fall and through 2006 and 2007. This is because this new programming is in MPEG-4 and will be broadcast from different satellite locations, neither of which the TiVo models can tune to."

PLEASE tell me the $1000 receiver I bought less than a year ago to record HD programs on DirectTV is not now being phased out? It's branded as a DirecTV HD DVR, yet it will not receive the additional programming the new satellites will bring? The whole reason I purchased the receiver and went with DirecTV rather than ZOOM was because of the additional HD channels that were coming in late '05 and 2006. Now you are saying I won't be able to receive them?

Please tell me I just read this wrong...

;(

J
MozAngeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 12:12 PM   #1008
Rottluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozAngeles
"DirecTV TiVos and DirecTV HD TiVos will continue to function for an indefinite period but DirecTV HD TiVos will not be able to receive the HDTV programming DirecTV intends to roll out this fall and through 2006 and 2007. This is because this new programming is in MPEG-4 and will be broadcast from different satellite locations, neither of which the TiVo models can tune to."

PLEASE tell me the $1000 receiver I bought less than a year ago to record HD programs on DirectTV is not now being phased out? It's branded as a DirecTV HD DVR, yet it will not receive the additional programming the new satellites will bring? The whole reason I purchased the receiver and went with DirecTV rather than ZOOM was because of the additional HD channels that were coming in late '05 and 2006. Now you are saying I won't be able to receive them?

Please tell me I just read this wrong...

;(

J
I hate to say it, but I was reading in Consumer Reports latest issue that there is a new form of HD programming coming out (MPEG-4?) and they recommended not buying anything until it is all out and available as the new stuff isn't compatible and/or is significantly better (I don't recall specifically which one it was).............sorry dude.
Rottluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:41 PM   #1009
Randyman...

More MPEG-4 / HR10-250 Questions

Hello,

I am about ready to buy a 37" 1080-p HDTV (dual purpose PC monitor and main HDTV monitor), and I want to upgrade my current SD DirecTV TiVo HDVR2 to the HR10-250 HDTV DirecTV Tivo. I am just now learning about DTV's plan to roll out MPEG-4 programming, and the HR10-250's incompatibility with this format. This seems to throw a big monkey wrench into my plan .

The HDTV monitor I am looking at really needs a DVI or HDMI signal to look its best (the analog ins are not so good), so I really need a TiVo with DVI or HDMI outputs, and being a happy DirecTV customer, I had really hoped I could stick with the integrated HDTV TiVo's simplicity (no analog signal degredation - all digital signals, and a DVR, 4 Tuners, HDTV Upconversion, and Digital Audio all in one box - hard to beat that).

What - EXACLY - will the MPEG-4 affect (locals, movie channels, all programming - what?)? I live in Houston, so I imagine my "Off-Air Local HDTV" reception would be pretty good if this would help recoup the omission of MPEG-4 on the HR10-250. TBH - I'll still watch 85% or more of my TV in upconverted "SDTV" (like Simpsons, Family Guy, etc), and I also need a good DVR unit to do 480P or higher HDTV "Upconversion" so my new TV looks its best (its internal upconversion is not the best).

I am literally at the buying stage, and now I find this out. What is your reccomendation for a un-familiar HDTV + DirecTV TiVo fanatic? I love my Hughes HDVR2 SD DirecTV TiVo (120GB HD) with all of my heart - and I would LOVE to retain it's all-in-one approach for a HDTV TiVo with digital video outs. I am willing to compromise a bit of available HDTV content for the AWSOME "all-in-one" integration this box can offer.

Any words of wisdom? I'm itching to buy very soon (from now until Thanksgiving).

I sincerely appreciate any input.
HDVR2 DTV SD TiVo (215 Hours)
W7 HTPC (For ATSC OTA and SD TiVo Archive Capture)
NAD T175HD Pre/Pro + Samsung LN46A650 1080P LCD TV
Randyman... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #1010
jberger

Just go ahead and buy the existing HDTivo, DirecTV will upgrade you to the new units once everything is in place and functional.

Don't get caught up in waiting for the "next big thing", because there is always something to wait for. The existing unit offers the best HD OTA/DirecTV integration available today, who knows how long it will take DTV to actually get everything in place and actually began the cut over to MPEG-4.

If you need something that have a great internal scaler, you might want to look at DVDO's lineup. The DTIVO doesn't have the best scaler I've seen, but the pure digital signal path does help even on SD material.
jberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 PM   #1011
Randyman...

WOW! Thanks for te quick reply, jberger. I feel better about this now, and I think I will go ahead and proceed as planned. The complete integration of the HD TiVo is so irresistable!!! Having a 37" 1080-p PC monitor will be pretty kewl as well!

As long as the HR10-250's Upconversion looks at least as good as my current SD HDVR-2 via S-Video, I'll be tickled to death!

Thanks a ton for putting my concerns to rest.

Last edited by Randyman... : 10-15-2005 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:51 AM   #1012
HDLouco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman...
WOW! Thanks for te quick reply, jberger. I feel better about this now, and I think I will go ahead and proceed as planned. The complete integration of the HD TiVo is so irresistable!!! Having a 37" 1080-p PC monitor will be pretty kewl as well!

As long as the HR10-250's Upconversion looks at least as good as my current SD HDVR-2 via S-Video, I'll be tickled to death!

Thanks a ton for putting my concerns to rest.
I ordered my HD Tivo in January of 2004 and received it in June of the same year. I paid $999 minus the $100 discount plus $55 for 2-day shipping. I have never been happier in my life! I love my HD Tivo so much that I just ordered a second one from Directv for $299 minus $100 rebate and minus 6 months of HD Pagacke. I can't wait to get my second unit on October 21st (next Friday) because today, October 16th, I took delivery of what I think is the same monitor you are thinking of buying. I am talking about the Westinghouse 37-inch HD monitor. I have not used my first HD Tivo's HDMI output so far because my old HDTV is an RCA 38-inch set that has only analog component inputs. I am looking forward to evaluating the possible improvement in video quality by using an all-digital system with the Westinghouse monitor and the new HD Tivo next Friday. Good luck to you.
HDLouco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 12:41 PM   #1013
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
PLEASE tell me the $1000 receiver I bought less than a year ago to record HD programs on DirectTV is not now being phased out?
It is. This was announced several months ago. I just formalized it by including it in this FAQ.

Quote:
It's branded as a DirecTV HD DVR, yet it will not receive the additional programming the new satellites will bring?
Also correct.
Quote:
The whole reason I purchased the receiver and went with DirecTV rather than ZOOM was because of the additional HD channels that were coming in late '05 and 2006. Now you are saying I won't be able to receive them?
Correct. a non-TiVo replacement DVR will be made available in summer 2006. For an annoying 6+ months, the new HD channels will be available but not recordable.

DirecTV is handling this ALL WRONG.

If it's any consolation, I'm hearing rumors that DirecTV will replace your DTiVo or HDTV TiVo for free with their new DirecTV/NDS DVRs.

We have NO IDEA how all this MPEG-4 stuff is going to shake out. We may need new multiswitches, more/new wiring, new dishes, etc.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #1014
Tlamb
Audio Dude

I think my HD TIVO is dying, how long should a Clear & Delete take? It has already been almost 10hrs!!! Thanks for the help.
Tlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #1015
Randyman...

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLouco
I can't wait to get my second unit on October 21st (next Friday) because today, October 16th, I took delivery of what I think is the same monitor you are thinking of buying. I am talking about the Westinghouse 37-inch HD monitor. I have not used my first HD Tivo's HDMI output so far because my old HDTV is an RCA 38-inch set that has only analog component inputs. I am looking forward to evaluating the possible improvement in video quality by using an all-digital system with the Westinghouse monitor and the new HD Tivo next Friday. Good luck to you.
You guessed it! Westinghouse 37" 1080-p with Dual DVI (w/HDCP) inputs. I'm just trying to find one on display so I can mess with it, and make sure I will be satisfied with the black levels and general PQ compared to my Wega 27" Tube. As long as it is not horrible, I'm willing to compromise slightly on the Black levels and PQ, and I get a killer PC monitor out of the deal, too! Let me know how you like yours once you get it all tweaked out.

I'll probably look into buying the HR10-250 today (any links on killer deals?), and buy the 37" TV ASAP. I'm really hoping DTV will follow through with the replacement HDTV DVR's. Fingers crossed. Thanks for you guy's info.

Old 10-17-2005, 06:15 AM   #1016
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlamb
I think my HD TIVO is dying, how long should a Clear & Delete take? It has already been almost 10hrs!!! Thanks for the help.
I have one with two 250 GB hard drives. My C&D took about 3 hours.
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #1017
Tlamb
Audio Dude

FYI - Clear & Delete never finished - new hard drive arrived from Weaknees - replaced old drive in about 10 minutes - so far so good!!!!!
Tlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #1018
tall1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottluver
I hate to say it, but I was reading in Consumer Reports latest issue that there is a new form of HD programming coming out (MPEG-4?) and they recommended not buying anything until it is all out and available as the new stuff isn't compatible and/or is significantly better (I don't recall specifically which one it was).............sorry dude.
That seals it for me, anything consumer reports recommends is bogus so I feel even more confident about my decision to purchase an HD Tivo now.
tall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #1019
TXTivoUser
Jeep Ninja

Editing to update:

Had a quick question about setup and recording...

1 - If I set up a recording for a show that I can get in both HD (OTA) and SD (D*), how does Tivo handle that? I obviously would like it to record in HD if it can. Is there any logic to switch to SD recording if I'm having signal issues on OTA?

Still need ideas on this...

2 - I've already got an OTA antenna in my attic that goes to my TV that has a built in tuner. Can I use that antenna and split that signal so that I can still use the built in antenna plus let Tivo have access to record on OTA HD?

- Turns out I found out that this can be done via a simple splitter. Maybe the installer will have one to give me.

TIA

Last edited by TXTivoUser : 10-24-2005 at 09:10 AM.
TXTivoUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:19 PM   #1020
such

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTivoUser
Editing to update:

Had a quick question about setup and recording...

1 - If I set up a recording for a show that I can get in both HD (OTA) and SD (D*), how does Tivo handle that? I obviously would like it to record in HD if it can. Is there any logic to switch to SD recording if I'm having signal issues on OTA?

Still need ideas on this...

TIA
When you set up a recording/season pass selected either by time, or by title, it is recorded on the channel you specify (the HD or SD channel).
such is offline   Reply With Quote