TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #631
like2wheel

It's a glitch with this model, but you will still get the 45 days. If you do a search, you'll find a better explanation & you will see that its quite common.
Better call Amazon back to cancel that credit
like2wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 08:05 AM   #632
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancesTheMute
I've never had the first problem you've described or the 3rd, but the 2nd one has been sorta happening to me. i hit the tivo button and it will take a couple of seconds before i get to tivo central, and sometimes the FF and RW are a little sluggish. But not all the time, just sometimes, so i've just been assuming it's busy doing something in the background like recording or transferring or something. I sure hope my HDD is failing, i've had the tivo only 7 months!!!!
I probably should have taken #2 out of my quote... That's the one that's least likely to be a sign of HD failure.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #633
FishTank1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2wheel
It's a glitch with this model, but you will still get the 45 days. If you do a search, you'll find a better explanation & you will see that its quite common.
Better call Amazon back to cancel that credit
Same glitch comes up with the RS-TX20. You start getting end of trial warnings long before it really ends. So how much did Amazon actually give back as a credit?
Toshiba RS-TX20 / TiVo Wireless Adapter

no, I don't own an aquarium
FishTank1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:14 PM   #634
backspaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTank1701
Same glitch comes up with the RS-TX20. You start getting end of trial warnings long before it really ends. So how much did Amazon actually give back as a credit?
Well, I figured that 45 days = 1.5 months, so 12.99*1.5 = 19.48 .. or $20 for short.

Boy were they responsive too. I've had a previous order difficulty where a Cinema display for my Mac got lost and they immediately sent me a new one saying if boths showed up, just return one. Trust, can you believe.

Oh, and to top it all off, we have the Prime membership at Amazon where you pay $70, I think, for free 2 day shipping for things you buy. The Toshiba was included in that. So not only did I pay no tax, there was also no shipping.

I am surprised the TiVo phone folks, who were apparently knowledgible, didn't know about the glitch. You'd think it've entered the folk lore by now. BTW: Hit "0" a couple of times to escape their voice phone menus to get to a human.

Owen
backspaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 01:35 PM   #635
backspaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
It's pretty straightforward. There are composite input jacks on the rear and front of the DMS. Just connect the outs from your VCR to one of those ins. Then, under "Pick Programs to Record" there's a "Record from Camcorder or VCR" option and the software will walk you through the steps (get the source tape to where you want to start, select the length of the recording, press play on the source VCR, press Select on the TiVo to start the recording, and let it go). Once the recording is done, it will show up on your Now Playing List like any other show and you can burn it to DVD from there.

I can't comment on the signal cleaner. I didn't use one, I just understood that my VHS quality was already poor, so I was only moving it to DVD for archival purposes and not to make it look any better.
Thanks! BTW: The signal cleaner is also for macrovision removal so I can back up all my Dr Who commercial tapes! "Signal cleaner" is sorta a euphemism.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #636
DaisyChain

Arrow DVD dubs - bail out at last minute

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone here could help me. This is the reason that I registered.

We have a Toshiba RS-TX20. It is supposed to record 180 hours I think? We got it so that we could have DVDs of some of our fave shows. For personal in home use of course.

So here is hte problem. Using a basic, 2 hour DVD-R, we start the dub. The quality setting is the 2nd best one. I only try to put an hour's worth of show on there. The machine says it is OK (allows up to two shows, for 99 percent of the dvd).

BUT when it gets almost to the end... it stops every time. Sometimes it also repowers-up! Now sometimes it has trouble if I am trying to watch a taped show while another show is dubbing... or even watching live tv. But it says it is OK if I go to TiVo Central so I don't 'get it'.

The disc does not finalise. The disc does not show as empty if I try to record on it again - including on my computer just to test it out to see if it was the Toshiba misreading it - and it ALSO does not play anything! During play it thinks the disc is blank, I guess.

Any ideas on what to do?? This is hte reason we bought it and it's brand new. It worked for about a week this way, now suddenly it won't dub correctly. Also there is no explanation given and no warning in advance.

Thank you in advance for any help.
DaisyChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #637
backspaces

Holy Cow, Monster Cables Degraded Picture Quality!!

OK, I'll admit it .. I'm a video quality nut.

So when I set up my DMS, I used the Monster Component video cables previously used for the DVD player for the connection from the DMS to the TV. (The TV is a fairly decent Toshiba HDTV aspect ratio unit with lots of inputs.) I also attached a rf video cable from the pass-through to the TV .. for the Watch-Another-Show-While-Recording stunt. Note that my video source is cable without a box .. just the lower 100 channels from Comcast.

Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered the pass-through+TV gave better picture quality than the TiVo+TV! .. i.e. the rf cable worked better than the component setup!

Now I had heard that there was some degrading of signal when using the DMS, but this was way too weird to believe. So I read some of the Forum entries .. some of which suggested that Monster cables aren't really all that good.

Hmm..sez I. OK, lets just take the A/V composite cables that come with the DMS and use them instead of the Monster cables. Well, believe it or not, the quality improved considerably! And as expected, was better than the pass-through by a tad.

I gotta say I'm surprised. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Also, given this bad experience, should I buy another set of Component cables that are better? .. I've seen Recoton & Acoustic Research cables recommended.

One reason I wanted the Component cables was to go from interlaced to progressive. Have folks seen better quality using progressive?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #638
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces
OK, I'll admit it .. I'm a video quality nut.

So when I set up my DMS, I used the Monster Component video cables
Ooohhh - I had an excellent rejoinder for that combination of afflictions (quality nut and Monster user) - "Don't say the two things in the same lifetime".

You seem to have noticed it (the futility and utter crap-ness of Monster products) yourself.

Of course, what you describe sounds WAY more far-reaching than the effect of overpriced crud sold in the garb of cables. Buy some Recotons/ARs and see if you still notice the same thing. Also see whether your TV's input is set to do something funky (post-processing, hues, effects etc) to the component video input.

And Eschew and Eradicate the Monsters forthwith.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #639
ber

I bought some new (not monster- just Best Buy) composite cables for my RS-TX 20....figured they would beat the SVIDEO out cable....it was a sheer mess....massive picture quality problems....S-Video was so much better (and really nice and sharp anyway...i just thought the composite would be one step better---it was two to three steps worse!)

Bob
ber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:22 AM   #640
ashu
User title defunct

Composite (one yellow cable) < SVideo (one cable with 4 pins) < Component (3 separate cables).

And on my Humax DRT800 AND my Toshiba RSX-20, Component is EASILY the best for PQ. Although my receiver COmponent-upconverts the others anyway (I don't switch TV inputs at all, it only gets one component cable (set) from my receiver's output.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 AM   #641
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
I bought some new (not monster- just Best Buy) composite cables for my RS-TX 20....figured they would beat the SVIDEO out cable....
I think you meant component cables, not composite. S-Video is supposed to be better than composite.

edit: whoops, should read all replies first, ashu beat me to it.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:23 PM   #642
backspaces

RS-TX w/ Galleon

I'm sending off for a USB/802.11b adaptor for my RS-TX and it occurred to me that possibly Galleon might work with the setup.

Has anyone tried Galleon + RS-TX?

[I tried searching but got billions of hits due to folks listing their setup in their sigs!]

Thanks

Owen
Old 09-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #643
azitnay

Sure, Galleon + RS-TX works just as well as Galleon + <any other Series2 standalone>.

Drew

Edit: As long as you're not running TiVo Basic.

Last edited by azitnay : 09-28-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:41 AM   #644
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
Edit: As long as you're not running TiVo Basic.
and have the update to 7.2 to run the latest Galleon
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:26 AM   #645
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by backspaces
Has anyone tried Galleon + RS-TX?
Yup, me too. Running Galleon on Linux, even. No problems with the TX20.

|
Old 09-28-2005, 12:34 PM   #646
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo
and have the update to 7.2 to run the latest Galleon
Not just the latest Galleon... Any Galleon . No 7.1 for RS-TX units, so 7.2 was the first HME-enabled version.

Drew
Old 09-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #647
sledhed

RS-TX20 and TiVo Basic

Question:
My 45 day trial expired, and I can no longer create wish lists (?) or subscriptions to specific programs for recordings. Have not messed with it much yet, but it appears that the wish lists set up before it expired appears to still be in there.

Will they still work? Is this a back door if you will, allowing me to modify these wish lists into whatever I need, as long as I do not delete them?

Thanks.
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #648
windracer
joined the 10k club

I'm pretty sure once the unit reverts to TiVo Basic, any SPs or WLs you have set up will no longer record. Instead you'll get a message in the Recording History about how the show was not recorded because it was requested using a TiVo Plus-only option.

|
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 PM   #649
ber

Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by koji71
OK, sounds like you are having the same problem as I am. I thought it was because of 8x disks, it is not.....I burned at least 25 8x disks without fail...... For a while I was able to reuse the DVD-R disk because the error was occuring before any info was written. I unpluged the unit for about 20 minutes and the next save attempt almost made it to the end before it failed. I even tried a head cleaner (no luck). EMailing Toshiba was been worthless (see other posts). Let us know if you find anything out.

My unit worked perfect since FEB up until yesterday....i seem to have two problems similar to that quoted above...when burning disks...i continue to get "internal error" after between 0 and 10 percent....

When i get past 10 percent save the machine stops...flickers...and then starts powering back up again from scratch....i was wondering (a) if any of the prior posters figured out what the problem was and (b) if any other individuals have any suggestions....i have been using 8X disks...without problem for months....so i suspect that is not the issue....the only change at all that has occurred was the recent update to the new tivo software....THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
Old 09-29-2005, 06:46 AM   #650
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber
My unit worked perfect since FEB up until yesterday....i seem to have two problems similar to that quoted above...when burning disks...i continue to get "internal error" after between 0 and 10 percent....

When i get past 10 percent save the machine stops...flickers...and then starts powering back up again from scratch....i was wondering (a) if any of the prior posters figured out what the problem was and (b) if any other individuals have any suggestions....i have been using 8X disks...without problem for months....so i suspect that is not the issue....the only change at all that has occurred was the recent update to the new tivo software....THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!
perhaps the old release just ignored the 8x and burned at a lower speed. Now with 7x software it is trying to burn at 8x and failing. I use TDK DVD-RW 4x discs and they burned on 5x and 7.2. I know that various brands have various results. I tried to copy the 4th firefly DVD on my PC and with those TDKs the fourth one just would not play on the RS TX20 or SD H400 but did play on a plain DVD player.
I redid it with a Compusa 4x DVD-RW I had and it played perfectly. Go figure ?

Guess the point is to try some different brands and speeds to see what works now.
ZeoTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #651
JoelLI

Setting up Toshiba on a Network with Macs

Just got a Toshiba RX-TS20.
First, I want to network this into my Apple Extreme/Express network. Which network adapter is best, or doesn't it matter? Do I need to upgrade to 7.2 (I assume this is done by phone line) to use 54mbs "g" units (system shows v5.4). Will this work with Mac networks?

Next, if I want to drop in a larger HD into the Toshiba unit (e.g. 300gb), what do I do (any specs on the HD -- EIDE vs SATA; does new software self-install or do I have to copy the 120gb contents onto the new drive; or, is there some guy with a dark back room that I should find who does this for living?)

Last edited by JoelLI : 09-29-2005 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add Title
JoelLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:25 AM   #652
DarkShadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber

I purchased my unit in July and have burned discs on a few different types of media.

First I used Fuji, then TDK, then Phillips, also I have been running 7.2 for the past three weeks all with no problem.

Then last weekend I picked up some Sony DVD's burned through the first 9 or so with no problems until last night.

Last night I had two stop burning at exactly the 9% point and indicated an internal error. The second time it completely shut down and reset itself.

I just wonder if this is a media isssue or a software update issue, or an internal problem with the unit.

I don't want to send the unit back in for service if it's a media issue, let me know what you guys decide to do on this.

Last edited by DarkShadows : 09-29-2005 at 11:33 AM.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:33 PM   #653
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
I'm pretty sure once the unit reverts to TiVo Basic, any SPs or WLs you have set up will no longer record. Instead you'll get a message in the Recording History about how the show was not recorded because it was requested using a TiVo Plus-only option.
Apparently it had not reverted completely to basic yet (not sure if it does it in stages?), but now the guide has changed and the todo list does not show any of the programs I scheduled via subscription / program name...

So I spoke too soon. And I am just too cheap to go for TiVo plus - heck, I am only paying $15 a month for my basic wireless cable. We don't watch enough TV to make it worth Plus, perhaps 5 or 6 programs a week we like to watch regularly. Back to programming it like a VCR. But that is OK, that is how we did it before the Toshiba deal at BB that I could not pass up... $100 after rebate was just too good. Now I can record like a VCR but if I decide to keep, burn to superior (and cheaper) DVD media... DVD-R if I want to keep it and RW if I am not sure.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #654
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
I purchased my unit in July and have burned discs on a few different types of media.

First I used Fuji, then TDK, then Phillips, also I have been running 7.2 for the past three weeks all with no problem.

Then last weekend I picked up some Sony DVD's burned through the first 9 or so with no problems until last night.

Last night I had two stop burning at exactly the 9% point and indicated an internal error. The second time it completely shut down and reset itself.

I just wonder if this is a media isssue or a software update issue, or an internal problem with the unit.

I don't want to send the unit back in for service if it's a media issue, let me know what you guys decide to do on this.
I read some negative comments about Sony media when I was looking for DVD-RW, they had it cheap at Staples (25 DVD-RW for $15 I believe), but I passed based on the reviews on the DVDR help dot com web site... are these -RW or -R? Either way, try a different brand, esp. one you know works for you. That is what I would try.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:18 PM   #655
DarkShadows

They are -R I have burned two tonite and they are okay, I think I will return the other spindle of 25 I have and pick up the Fuji 30 packs which are on sale this week for about $9.00.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:38 PM   #656
CaccaMucca

Hi all,

I have a RS-TX20 since mid Janurary and recently started having problems burning the shows on the hard drive to DVD. I believe it has to do with the software upgrade that was pushed down 2 weeks ago by TiVo. The new software allows one to download the shows recorded on the DVRs to their computer. RS-TX20 seemed to be under powered to begin with, but now with the new software, it is super slow. Now I have about 33% failure rate transferring to my DVDs.

I'm going to reset the box to factory tonight and get a clean start, but it still would have the new software .........

Anyone else out there experiencing the same problem that I having?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:01 PM   #657
CaccaMucca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ber

I'm having the same problem. I blaming the software upgrade, 7.2.

Any thoughts?
CaccaMucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #658
ber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
I'm having the same problem. I blaming the software upgrade, 7.2.

Any thoughts?
Hi Guys, I posted two days ago about the new problem burning discs...i.e, internal error. I think i had two to three failures over the course of eight months. Then my machine went thru 10 discs....TDK, Sony and Office Depot all 8X failing on every single one. When they made it past 15 or 20 % the machine just shut off...and began powering up again.

One of the earlier posts (which i had quoted from concerning my origianal problem) indicated (though with no followup) that the problem seem to be resolved after he/she had unplugged the machine for 9 hours. I might add that the original post which i was relying upon was made months earlier will before the new TIVO update.

Here is what i did. I first unplugged my machine for ten minutes. I let it go thru the power up cycle....and tried again....thinking what is the difference from shutting the machine off for 10 minutes or 9 hours....same exact problem. So i unplugged it completely overnite....powered back up....now it is working perfect again....burned 10 8X discs in a row with not even the sign of a problem....I would suggest that everyone that has a similar problem try this avenue....i have no idea of course (a) why it was caused in the first instance or (b) why the solution worked.....I would note that i have had the new TIVO upgrade of software for about three weeks...so it didnt start until two weeks thereafter...so i am still guessing...though happy it is working again.

On a similar topic (given some of the feedback i have received) how does one know what the burning speed is...i assume that it cannot be changed... like one can with a computer dvd burner (when i simply tell it to burn for example 8X discs at 4X)????

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

Robert
Old 09-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #659
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaccaMucca
Hi all,

I have a RS-TX20 since mid Janurary and recently started having problems burning the shows on the hard drive to DVD. I believe it has to do with the software upgrade that was pushed down 2 weeks ago by TiVo. The new software allows one to download the shows recorded on the DVRs to their computer. RS-TX20 seemed to be under powered to begin with, but now with the new software, it is super slow. Now I have about 33% failure rate transferring to my DVDs.

I'm going to reset the box to factory tonight and get a clean start, but it still would have the new software .........

Anyone else out there experiencing the same problem that I having?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
Add me to the list. I only got my Toshiba two weeks ago and burned maybe 2 or 3 discs with no problem prior to the upgrade. Now, every disc I've tried will either fail with the "internal error" or will fail at the end of burning (when I believe it is finalizing), each case causes the unit to reboot, which roally messes up any recording that is taking place at the time. Also, my user interface is markedly slower than before the upgrade, it reminds me of the speed of my Series I box, leading me to believe the software upgrade has screwed up something.
I am calling Tivo. BTW, thanks to this forum, I am not simply packing up my Toshivo and taking it back to Best Buy- I guess I'll ride out a fix from Tivo.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
with
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #660
Tiresius

FWIW, I have the Toshiba RS-TX20, got the 7.x update several weeks ago and have not had any trouble burning disks since then.

I burn maybe 2-3 disks a week. The media I'm using is 8x TDK -R from a 50pk spindle that I got months ago. The only other media I've ever used on this machine is a 25pk of 4x TDK discs. No trouble with any of those either. So, of the 75 odd discs I've burned in the past six months I have never had a failed burn.(knock on wood)

Maybe the 7.x has some media compatibility issues that were not there before? Maybe I'm just lucky for having only used one brand of media(TDK 4x & 8x) & haven't run into any media issues.

Of the people having trouble since the upgrade, are there any of you that have NOT changed media brands at all and are now having trouble using the same media you've used all along?

For those of you having trouble, I wish you the best finding the answer - what a pain huh?

Cheers,
Ray
Tiresius is offline   Reply With Quote