TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #301
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Lou was kind enough to send me all his scripts to see if I can make any adjustments to my scripts so they can peacefully coexist. There will not be a new PTVnet CD with my scripts added. At least not for now.

ok so how would the scripts be coexisted if there will not be a new CD made available? well in my case I have the PTVnet CD(6.2 version) that I haven't installed yet, so how would I go about installing your scripts w/o any problems that I've seen from those that have the net CD as well that have tried installing your scripts? should I just enter "NO" when asked if I want to install TivoWebPlus? then install your scripts after I've finished with net CD and the drive is in the DTivo unit working properly? thanks
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 PM   #302
rbautch
User

That should work for now. After the next version of my script comes out, you can uninstall the old one, and put the new one on. Maybe sometime next week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:37 PM   #303
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

I am having problems with my fakecall with your script. on Mondays when I look at my phone call screen I see that the last attempt failed with "no dialtone"
Before your script I ran it manually and if I rebooted it would say that the call was successful. The other parts of the script are working great.
My fakecall.tcl is in busybox which is in the path on my .author. The script created a fakecall.bak and a new fakecall.tcl. Here is a paste of one of my .author

#!/bin/bash
export TIVO_ROOT=""
export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/busybox
# start telnet
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
# start ftp
tivoftpd
# enable serial bash
/bin/bash </dev/ttyS2&> /dev/ttyS2&
# add two static routes so the tivo doesn't phone home (stops breakage)
route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

#############################################
# starting Tivowebplus
/enhancements/TWPrun.sh

#############################################
# start crond after waiting 30 seconds
sleep 30
/busybox/crond

What should I look for? I can run it manually and reboot and it works. It is like it is not running before the reboot.
Thanks in advance
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #304
rbautch
User

There's a series of posts for troubleshooting cron/fakecall, starting here. Let me know what worked.

or

Old 09-12-2005, 07:06 PM   #305
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
ok so how would the scripts be coexisted if there will not be a new CD made available? well in my case I have the PTVnet CD(6.2 version) that I haven't installed yet, so how would I go about installing your scripts w/o any problems that I've seen from those that have the net CD as well that have tried installing your scripts? should I just enter "NO" when asked if I want to install TivoWebPlus? then install your scripts after I've finished with net CD and the drive is in the DTivo unit working properly? thanks
I think the point is that rbautch is looking at updating his scripts so that existing PTVnet CD customers can go head and use his stuff, as-documented without compensating or having to know about any workarounds.

Moving forward, I will look at whatever adjustments are necessary, or recommended to make the PTVnet stuff more compatible with what other people are doing. The important thing that rbautch is mentioning (and that I appreciate greatly) is that any updates to his free scripts might positively affect folks who have already purchased and downloaded the existing version of PTVnet. Again, any recommendations are appreciated.

Thx

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #306
Dirac

I had to put the absolute path for fakecall in cron, even though /busybox is in my PATH. I discovered this when attempting to run "tivosh fakecall.tcl" from the bash prompt. The problem is, I guess since tivosh is in one of the directories in PATH, tivosh will fire up and attempt to find fakecall in the current working directory (since no path is given).

The same thing would happen when you try to run "vi rc.sysinit.author" and since vi is in a directory in the PATH, it starts, but then looks for rc.sysinit.author in the current directory even if /etc/rc.d were in your PATH. (Not that it would be -- just an example.)

On another note, I've been trying to get that safereboot.tcl working, but it is TOO safe. It is supposed to reboot when there is just a suggested recording taking place, but it is only rebooting when NOTHING is recording.

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:45 PM   #307
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
I think the point is that rbautch is looking at updating his scripts so that existing PTVnet CD customers can go head and use his stuff, as-documented without compensating or having to know about any workarounds.

Moving forward, I will look at whatever adjustments are necessary, or recommended to make the PTVnet stuff more compatible with what other people are doing. The important thing that rbautch is mentioning (and that I appreciate greatly) is that any updates to his free scripts might positively affect folks who have already purchased and downloaded the existing version of PTVnet. Again, any recommendations are appreciated.

Thx

oh ok thanks for the clarification, it's from his end of updating the scripts not from PTV's end, now that makes more sense than before, hopefully there won't be any problems like those people that installed the PTVnet CD then his scripts,
so basically just install the PTVnet CD and when I get to the question of installing "TivoWebPlus" I should enter "NO" after I'm finished with the Net installation, enter his scripts? should I answer "YES" or "NO" for a phone line to be connected? thanks again
Old 09-13-2005, 08:15 AM   #308
salvatore

Potentially dumb question: does fakecall.tcl take care of what TiVo reports as the 'Last Service Connection'? In System Information I have recent dates listed for both the last attempted and last successful, but the last status reads 'Failed. No dial tone."

The cron log file has the successful fakecall made lines in them, and running tivosh fakecall.tcl from the prompt produces a successful output. Are these the expected behaviors? As long as the last successful date is current I shouldnt call-home get nags, right?
psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:27 AM   #309
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvatore
Potentially dumb question: does fakecall.tcl take care of what TiVo reports as the 'Last Service Connection'? In System Information I have recent dates listed for both the last attempted and last successful, but the last status reads 'Failed. No dial tone."
Same here. Good question.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:34 PM   #310
rbautch
User

Quote:

The cron log file has the successful fakecall made lines in them, and running tivosh fakecall.tcl from the prompt produces a successful output. Are these the expected behaviors? As long as the last successful date is current I shouldnt call-home get nags, right?
Fakecall does update the last service connection, but only after a reboot. You can test this by manually running fakecall and rebooting. The key parameter is the "next scheduled call", which should constantly be updated so your Tivo never thinks it needs to make a call. This should be confirmed before you think about connecting a phone line. Don't worry about nags. The superpatch makes sure no nags will ever pop up, regardless of the "last successful" status.

or

Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #311
salvatore

Quote:
The key parameter is the "next scheduled call", which should constantly be updated so your Tivo never thinks it needs to make a call. This should be confirmed before you think about connecting a phone line.
In what circumstance would I want/need to connect the phone line to a hacked Series 2 DTivo?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:39 AM   #312
tsunami

Quote:
In what circumstance would I want/need to connect the phone line to a hacked Series 2 DTivo?
Some people have Caller ID hacks I believe, and you can order PPV without using the web site, although I think if you don't make calls in it turns of PPV.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:18 AM   #313
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

I see a lot of conflicting stuff about phone lines.

I have 2 x directv DSR7000 with hacked 6.2. I allowed both these boxes to make a single call to DTV to activate the "DVR service". Both have since been disconnected from the phone line although the network cables remain connected. I have code in my rc.sysinit.author that prevents a call over the network.

Code:
route add -host 204.176.49.2 gw 127.0.0.1
route add -net 204.176.49.0 gw 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
This is my experience.

I'm running fakecall and get no nags.

I pay for and receive Directv Cricket Ticket with no problem.

I have ordered PPV (with the remote, I might add) with no problem.

I will be getting NHL Center Ice when the hockey season starts and I have had no problems in the past.

The one thing I can deduce from all the different stuff I have read is that YMMV
Old 09-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #314
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfillis

I have ordered PPV (with the remote, I might add) with no problem.
You probably didn't get billed for those PPV if you phone line was not hooked up. The receiver will let you order PPV with the remote for a while, but once the Access Card fills up, then no more until the unit makes a successful call back to Directv. Notice I said a call back to Directv, not TiVo. They are two completely different calls.
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 PM   #315
rbautch
User

More info on leaving a phone line connected here and here.

or

Old 09-14-2005, 12:52 PM   #316
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

Quote:
rbautch - More info on leaving a phone line connected here and here.
These links mirror what my experience has been.

Quote:
Kramerboy - You probably didn't get billed for those PPV if you phone line was not hooked up.
I don't do PPV regularly but I did one a week or two back. It is not showing on my statement nor on "recent activity" per Directv. Seems to be a true statement, no probablies about it.

Given that, is there a way to make the call to Directv over the network? Old info says not possible but what is the current state of the art?

Last edited by fredfillis : 09-14-2005 at 01:06 PM.
fredfillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #317
salvatore

Interesting.

Are there success stories with caller ID hacks for Series 2 DirecTiVos?
Old 09-14-2005, 01:15 PM   #318
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Interesting.

I've got it going, but not with direct Caller ID, rather a YAC server (my PC) and a YAC client running on the TiVo.
Old 09-14-2005, 01:29 PM   #319
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfillis
Given that, is there a way to make the call to Directv over the network? Old info says not possible but what is the current state of the art?
When your tivo calls home (to TiVo) it actually uses access numbers of an ISP, so ALL calls really go through the internet... that's how it's set up.

AFAIK, DirecTV doesn't use the net at all for their boxes... it's just not how they are set up, so I don't really think it's possible for DTivos to use a network connection to make that call.
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:31 PM   #320
rbautch
User

Here is another caller ID application working successful on S2 Tivos.

or

Old 09-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #321
salvatore

Thanks.

I'll work with these examples this evening and report my findings.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:22 PM   #322
rbautch
User

I'm in the process of incorporated NCID caller ID into the enhancement script. Since I don't have a phoneline, I can only test portions of installation. Please PM me if you are interested in helping me test this feature.

or

Old 09-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #323
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Interesting.

Here's a helpful page:
http://www.xybyre.net/tivo/
Old 09-15-2005, 02:05 PM   #324
jasch

I found two problems with the latest version of your script.

First, the profile that is installed: root has the wrong path. It tries to read the file from /usr/spool, where /var/spool is the correct path.

Fakecall would not work from me, even tough cron was running, and busybox is my path. I fixed this by adjusting the path also on the root file like this: tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl

It would a good idea, in order to debug this, that you do the

echo "`date` fakecall made" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

from within the fakecall script, that way you not the script actually was executed. The way it was working for me, cron did tivosh fakecall.tcl (and failed) and then the echo, which confused me into believing that fakecall actually was executed succesfully.

Other than some minor tweaks to the scripts (files not found when runnint the script a second time, some directories not created, etc) everythins is working great.

Great job! This script has reduce the number of steps I have to do to hack my tivo from about 10 to 4... :-)
jasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #325
Dirac

Those issues have been mentioned previously in the thread... but I missed that too when I ran his script, so good catch. I noticed the "file not found" error when I tried "tivosh fakecall.tcl" from the bash prompt. I like the idea about logging in the script itself; I think I'll incorporate that in my setup. Thanks for the idea.

Anyone have any success with the safereboot? The way the script ran on my TiVo, it was TOO safe (wouldn't reboot during suggestions).

2x HR20-700
2x SIR-S4040R, stock (for sale)
HR10-250, v. 6.4a stock
Dirac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:38 PM   #326
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasch
I found two problems with the latest version of your script.
Great suggestions, thanks jasch. Timing is good too. I'm just finishing a beta of the next version of the script. One of the things I incorporated is safereboot. I increased the reboot frequency to twice/week just in case something is trying to record on the first attempt. I'm wondering if this is an appropriate freqency, or if perhaps I should make safereboot optional for people who are keeping a phone line connected and don't want to take a chance on reboot not happening.

Fakecall is a tcl script, not a bash script, so the code you suggested won't work. I'll do some checking about how to do it in tcl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasch
Other than some minor tweaks to the scripts (files not found when runnint the script a second time, some directories not created, etc) everythins is working great.
In order to save on space, I wrote the script to delete certain files after they're used, which prevents you from running the script multiple times. However, the uninstall script very neatly (and smartly) deletes everything that was installed by the script, and moves the files archive to the root directory. Using uninstall, you can run the script over and over again without any issue.

or

Old 09-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #327
salvatore

Quote:
Thanks.

I'll work with these examples this evening and report my findings.
Successfully installed NCID and out2osd last evening. I reconnected the phone line and now see white text on a black background announcing the name and number of the caller ID information.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #328
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
.... or if perhaps I should make safereboot optional for people who are keeping a phone line connected and don't want to take a chance on reboot not happening.....
I vote for that option, I'd much rather risk missing a 3am recording than I would losing my hacks.
The one way I just have to worry about making sure that the 3am once a week recording isn't set up. The other way I have to "baby-sit" the phone call info logs to make that the last phone call is reported as "succeeded".
Thanks for all of the work on your part.
willardcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #329
rbautch
User

You're welcome. I will indeed make this an optional feature.

or

Old 09-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #330
bnm81002

rbautch,
just a heads up, over at "DDB" there's a new superpatch-67 all that supports 6.1 and 7.2 tivoapps, also new USB2 backport drivers that now supports the Linksys USB200M(version 2)adapters, in case you wanted to include it into your scripts here