TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #571
C5John

>>I'm confused about what you're saying... A TiVo does give you the capability to record TV to the hard drive. That's been the whole point of TiVo all along.

Drew<<

Yes, I know. I just didnt want to have to mess with ANOTHER monthly fee (have enough of them) for something that I am totaly capable of doing my self, such as programing a show to record, especially when the unit I have now (Toshiba RD-XS32SU) does pretty much everything the Tivo's do. Of course there's no fee for the basic Tivo but I still would have to contend with the phone cord access thing. I'll probably jump on the Tivo band-wagon eventually though. Thanks for all the info guys,
C5John
C5John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:54 PM   #572
mark14224

Trouble with Tivo Desktop

I just received the download for software version 7.2. I then downloaded the Tivo desktop but I keep getting an error message when the desktop tries to open that "the Tivo transfer service has not yet started (or may have been stopped or uninstalled). This service is required by the Tivo desktop. Click retry to continue waiting for the Tivo desktop to start, or click cancel to exit." I have clicked retry and i keep getting the same message. I have completely disabled my firewall and get the same message. I uninstalled the Tivo desktop and reinstalled it and get the same message. I am using Windows XP. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Mark
mark14224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #573
azitnay

Is it definitely the TiVo Transfer service it's complaining about, or is it the TiVo Beacon service?

In my experience, it'll do this if Beacon isn't running, but it starts Transfer itself if it needs to.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:02 PM   #574
billyacc

I am in too

Count me in on the RS-TX Club. I have the 20, but haven't received the upgrade to 7.2 yet (will check tonight when I get home).
billyacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #575
anth1977

I'm a newbie and just purchased an RS-TX60. I don't have a phone line but will use one at work for the initial registration.

So I need to network my RS-T60 and have sifted through this thread hoping to find the perfect working USB network adapter. Can people post their success stories with version numbers of the network cards.
anth1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #576
azitnay

Over the years, I've had good luck with:

Farallon PN796 (USB 1.1)
Linksys USB200M (USB 2.0)
Netgear FA101 (USB 1.1)

All wired, of course.

http://www.tivo.com/adapters/ is a (partial) list of working adapters.

Drew
Old 09-07-2005, 11:26 PM   #577
mark14224

Trouble with Tivo Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark14224
I just received the download for software version 7.2. I then downloaded the Tivo desktop but I keep getting an error message when the desktop tries to open that "the Tivo transfer service has not yet started (or may have been stopped or uninstalled). This service is required by the Tivo desktop. Click retry to continue waiting for the Tivo desktop to start, or click cancel to exit." I have clicked retry and i keep getting the same message. I have completely disabled my firewall and get the same message. I uninstalled the Tivo desktop and reinstalled it and get the same message. I am using Windows XP. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Mark
I think I have figured out why I am getting the error but I don't know how to fix it. I entered the wrong Media Access Key when i first installed the TiVo Desktop. However, since the Desktop never opens (i just get the error) I cant figure out how to change the MAK to the correct one. Even when i uninstall and reinstall it no longer asks me for the MAK when reinstalling so I am assuming this must have been stored in the registry somewhere? How do I correct his?
mark14224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:45 PM   #578
Bruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone
I too have received another free trial! Yea baby, keep 'em coming!
Unfortunately, it seems that as quickly as I got another free trial, it's now reverted back to Basic. Well, it was a fun "45 day Plus, 1 day Basic, 2 day Plus" trial period
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:30 AM   #579
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark14224
I think I have figured out why I am getting the error but I don't know how to fix it. I entered the wrong Media Access Key when i first installed the TiVo Desktop. However, since the Desktop never opens (i just get the error) I cant figure out how to change the MAK to the correct one. Even when i uninstall and reinstall it no longer asks me for the MAK when reinstalling so I am assuming this must have been stored in the registry somewhere? How do I correct his?
For the purposes of simply starting up, it shouldn't matter what your MAK is. It seems your problem is elsewhere.

However, uninstalling, blowing away all files and registry keys, and then reinstalling might not be a bad idea, anyway. After uninstalling, the files I know of are all in:

C:\Program Files\TiVo
C:\Program Files\Common Files\TiVo Shared

and the registry keys I know of are all in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\TiVo

There could be more files and/or registry keys I don't know about.

Drew
Old 09-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #580
bare-a-kuda
_tivo ARCHITECT

Big Grin Just got in!!

Got my TSX20 earlier in the week and my 7.2 yesterday. Luvin' it so far.
bare-a-kuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 04:55 PM   #581
dbelmont

Proud owner of a new RS-TX20. Please see my post about set-up in the forum.
dbelmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM   #582
Giovanna145

Hello,
I just received my new rs-tx20 for my birthday from my wife. First unit outputs would not work, took it back to bestbuy-got it sent back to toshiba and was given a new unit because toshiba couldn't fix it. Got a new unit; works perfect (knock on wood); bought the 4YR PSP from bestbuy for 49.99 after reading through 20 pages of problems with this unit. I actually read through all 20 pages so I could ask this since I didn't find it anywhere. Is there a way to find out how much HD space is left on tivo like the PC's. (ie used space 60GB; free space 60GB). Can't think of any other questions but i will keep checking back. FIRST TIME TIVO'R; LOVIN IT SO FARThanks for any input.

PS:after reading through 20 pages, much props to azitnay, ashu, windracer and anyone else i might have missed (sorry not intentional) for the quick and helpful solution to most of the problems
Giovanna145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:51 PM   #583
DarkShadows

Player locking up on CD (2x now)

I have had my unit for a couple of months now and twice now with the same CD, had it completely lock up and go to both amber/yellow lights on the front.

Had to hard boot it back up and let it go through this whole drawn out reboot process. In both instances it was recording something as well and had to restart the recordings.

Anyone have this problem before?

This CD by the way was an audio CD of my own making.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #584
Bruzer

Still have some newbie questions

I have a RS-TX20 with the 7.2 software. I currently connect with a phone line, but am thinking of making the switch to wireless. I looked at the SUPPORT section on tivo.com to see what wireless adapters are supported. The D-Link DWL-G120 looks good, but it specifically says "version B2". In searching the web, it looks like there are 2 "shapes" for this model: one has a traditional looking antenna on the side, and the other looks more like a Star Trek communicator (the antenna flips up and is rectangular). Is one of these considered "B2"? Any other good adapters to consider for the RS-TX and 7.2 software?

Thanks!
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:59 PM   #585
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanna145
Is there a way to find out how much HD space is left on tivo like the PC's. (ie used space 60GB; free space 60GB).
This request is what's referred to around here as the FSI (free space indicator). No, there isn't one. The easiest/quickest way to determine how much free space you have is to look at how many Suggestions have been recorded (assuming you have turned Suggestions on). The more Suggestions there are, the more free space you have (a Suggestion is always the first thing to be deleted if the TX20 needs space to record a show you have explicitly asked it to record.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #586
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzer
Any other good adapters to consider for the RS-TX and 7.2 software?
I'm having good results with the Netgear WG111.

Just like with the other vendors, though, you have to be wary of which version/model you are getting. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, et al. seem to switch wireless chipsets faster than TiVo can keep up with the supported drivers!

|
Old 09-13-2005, 09:33 AM   #587
Giovanna145

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
(a Suggestion is always the first thing to be deleted if the TX20 needs space to record a show you have explicitly asked it to record.
Is there a way to delete a group of them at a time instead of having to delete it one by one??

Another question for someone that is on the tivo basic. I am still on the trial tivo plus. In the tivo screen it states that "now playing" is a Tivo plus option. So where does the programs that you recorded show up for tivo basic customers??
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #588
azitnay

No, there is currently no mass-delete support. However, you never have to delete suggestions anyway; they're deleted automatically when necessary.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that Now Playing itself is a TiVo Plus option... Perhaps you could enlighten us. That shouldn't be the case.

Drew
Old 09-13-2005, 01:19 PM   #589
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Another question for someone that is on the tivo basic. I am still on the trial tivo plus. In the tivo screen it states that "now playing" is a Tivo plus option. So where does the programs that you recorded show up for tivo basic customers??
Are you perhaps using sorting and/or folders in the Now Playing List? Those are Plus-only options. You still get the Now Playing List with TiVo basic, but it's always sorted alphabetically without groups.

|
Old 09-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #590
SystemJinx
(o_0)

Quote:
Is there a way to delete a group of them at a time instead of having to delete it one by one??

I found the fastest way to mass delete programs is to merely scroll to them and press the CLEAR button on the bottom left of the remote. It will then ask if you want to delete it and select yes, and then repeat the process over and over.

Using the clear button avoids one screen that asks if you want to play the program, etc...
SystemJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:36 PM   #591
sloy2005

"Wireless Settings" is missing with 7.2

I just got connected via phone line to Tivo after Hurricane Katrinia and I saw that I got 7.2. I was excited b/c I am tired of using a phone line to update and I want to connect it to my wireless network. BTW, I have a Toshiba RS-TX20.

I started by following the directions from tivo's web site-- settings/phone and network settings/edit phone and network/wirless settings.

But I don't have the "wireless settings." All I have is "use network instead."

I do have my Linlsys 802.11g USB adapter plugged into the back, but it can't see my network. I have WEP on.

I just rebooted the Tivo machine and still nothing.

Thanks for your help
Stephen
sloy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #592
rmf2

Help - No audio

I just purchased a tx20. I have a comcast digital cable box with the cable feed coming in from a coax cable. Y/R/W cable - tx20 in to comcast box out. I have a media receiver with my Pioneer 50". Tx20 out with Y/R/W cable to media receiver in on Input 2. DVD's are fine. When viewing Live TV with the Toshiba unit I only get video. I can use the Tivo remote to raise the volume level on the TV, but there is no sound. Can someone please help? This is my second unit.

Thanks
rmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #593
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloy2005
But I don't have the "wireless settings." All I have is "use network instead."
Choose "Use network instead" first. Then you should get the "Change network settings" menu item.

Also make sure your Linksys adapter is supported.

|
Old 09-13-2005, 07:57 PM   #594
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmf2
I just purchased a tx20. I have a comcast digital cable box with the cable feed coming in from a coax cable. Y/R/W cable - tx20 in to comcast box out. I have a media receiver with my Pioneer 50". Tx20 out with Y/R/W cable to media receiver in on Input 2. DVD's are fine. When viewing Live TV with the Toshiba unit I only get video. I can use the Tivo remote to raise the volume level on the TV, but there is no sound. Can someone please help? This is my second unit.
Do you have your receiver on when watching Live TV? If I read your setup above correctly, your audio goes from the cable box, to the TX20, to the receiver, so the receiver will have to be on to get audio (which is why DVD playback works).

Or you need to connect audio cables from the TX20 directly to your TV.

|
Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #595
sloy2005

That's the frustrating part, I never see "change network setting." After choosing "use network instead" my only options are "Yes, I have all of the above," "No, continue using phone line for now," or Why use a network instead of a phone line."

I can't find anywhere that says "change network settings."

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Choose "Use network instead" first. Then you should get the "Change network settings" menu item.

Also make sure your Linksys adapter is supported.

sloy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 PM   #596
windracer
joined the 10k club

What text is on the screen where it says "Yes, I have all of the above?" Do you meet the criteria? Even after selecting "Yes" you still don't see the Network settings option appear?

What exact adapter are you using? Is it supported, as listed here?

Usually when you connect a wireless adapter for the first time, the TiVo will auto-recognize it. It sounds like maybe yours is not being recognized.

|
Old 09-14-2005, 06:41 PM   #597
FishTank1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloy2005
II do have my Linlsys 802.11g USB adapter plugged into the back, but it can't see my network. I have WEP on.
There are no Linksys 802.11g USB adapters listed as being compatible with any model of TiVo. Your symptoms sound suspiciously like my own experience testing a WUSB54G adapter. The TiVo, in this case a SD-H400, didn't even recognize that an adapter was plugged in. Since the device isn't recognized, the TiVo doesn't give you a wireless setup menu option.
Premier XL - Wired Network (Ethernet)
no, I don't own an aquarium
FishTank1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #598
Giovanna145

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I'm not sure where you're seeing that Now Playing itself is a TiVo Plus option... Perhaps you could enlighten us. That shouldn't be the case.

Drew
On the Tivo screen there is a * by "now playing" and on the bottom of the screen it states * is for Tivo plus features so that is why I assumed that. I guess they mean the organizing in the now playing is a tivo plus feature.

Thanks Guyz, you all are awesome
Old 09-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #599
Giovanna145

Thanks, SystemJinx for the quick way to delete programs; will definetely speed up the process.

FYI everyone: Bestbuy has the RS-TX20 for $250 after rebates. Requirement is that you sign up for Tivo plus. Not a bad deal.
Old 09-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #600
SystemJinx
(o_0)

Your welcome Giovanna.
SystemJinx is offline   Reply With Quote