TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #541
scottt
Macintosh Guru

It is recording suggestions. The "choosing" of what shows to record will get better after you start rating your shows (1-3 thumbs up or down). I like to use suggestions as a guide of how much hard drive space I have left. Suggestions will never "fill up" your hard drive as they are automatically deleted when space is needed for shows you set up to record.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #542
Runch Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeagle
Hi, I am new to here. I read previous postings and notice that Toshiba Tivo keeps recording even in standby mode. I check play list and there are tons of shows which I am not interested in. Also it will fill up the hard drive very soon. I am wondering if there is a way I can record the only shows I am interested in. So I don't need to go to play list every day to delete those recored shows and make room to record others. Could someone help me? Thanks.

Steeagle
Go into the setup menu and look for an entry called TIVO SUGGESTIONS. Go into this entry and set it to NO. Note that Tivo will NOT erase shows you scheduled to record in order to record suggestions.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:42 PM   #543
irishguywi

I just got 7.2 downloaded, and now my SPS30S code does not work. Anyone else find this has happened?

okay...just a quick update. The SPS30S code DOES work. When I do the initial SPS, I was waiting for the tones to indicate I should enter the 30S part of it. Those tones never came. In fact, I even got the "bongs" when I tried to enter the 30S part.

However, once I had done the entire code, I got the 3 good tones at the end and the code works. So it appears as though the tones after the SPS are gone in 7.2 on my Toshiba.

Along those lines, I will ask my next question...can anyone tell me if I need TiVo Plus to transfer files off my TiVo now that I am on 7.2? I just have basic at this time, and I am reading conflicting reports that I don't need Plus.

Any comments?

...further update...
I downloaded the Tivo Desktop and installed. It sees my TiVo on the network, but shows no files.
Also, when I go to my TiVo, my MAK is "Temporarily not available"
Is that a bad sign?

Last edited by irishguywi : 09-03-2005 at 12:18 AM. Reason: updated
irishguywi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #544
azitnay

30SS still works fine under 7.2 on RS-TX units... Try SPS30S again.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #545
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguywi
Along those lines, I will ask my next question...can anyone tell me if I need TiVo Plus to transfer files off my TiVo now that I am on 7.2? I just have basic at this time, and I am reading conflicting reports that I don't need Plus.

Any comments?
You need PLUS for any transfers onto or off the unit (shows, Music, Photos etc).

It will connect to TiVo for guide data and updates via the network with only Basic, however. But that's it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:19 AM   #546
irishguywi

bummer.
Thanks for the info ashu, I do appreciate it!
Old 09-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #547
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
bummer.
Get TiVoPlus ... you'll never go back to Basic!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #548
irishguywi

i'm sure you are right windracer...
but it is tough to justify the money when Basic is free.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:32 AM   #549
windracer
joined the 10k club

You get what you pay for.

TiVoBasic is nice ... I tried it. But since the TX20 was not my first TiVo, I was already too dependent on WishLists, Season Passes, etc. (not to mention MRV and TTG transfers).

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #550
DarkShadows

Recording to TIVO thru inputs 6 hour max?

I am recording via the composite front inputs onto my HD and it looks like I can only do a max of 6:59 at a time.

Is there anyway to get around that?
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #551
DarkShadows

In my case the TIVO Plus came with the 45 Trial, too be honest I had no intention of paying for the TIVO plus but I have become quite dependent on the Season Pass, Wish List.

I really love the easy interface with the Tivo Plus and the online scheduling feature is awesome too when I get the 7.2 update.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #552
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
what are your recording habits like ? How do you go about setting up recordings now?
Old 09-03-2005, 04:24 PM   #553
FishTank1701

Quote:
So's warm tap water versus a cold bottle of <pick your brand> bottled water. There's a mighty big difference. Take the 45 day free trial, and you'll never go back.
Premier XL - Wired Network (Ethernet)
no, I don't own an aquarium
FishTank1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #554
slyone

7.2 now on machine, 45 day trial expired. I turn on to see if I can find the MAK because it told me before that servive was now working. Message says "your free 45 day trial has begun"! Geez, I got another trial? go to web site to get MAK and it says my TSN is wrong? WTF? Strange, would think it was ctivated when I first set it up, I hate to activate it again if I'm stuck in some sort of sweetspot/malfunction w/ free PLUS but I need (or want) the MAK! Any opinions or clarity on what's going on here...THanks!
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #555
C5John

Hello, just joined. I'm trying to post a new question/thread but all I can find is the "Post Reply" link in the " Official Toshiba RS-TX Owners Club" forum. Can I post a question like this? If not, can someone tell me where the link to a NEW thread is located?

Thank for any help, C5John
C5John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #556
azitnay

The "Official Toshiba RS-TX Owners Club" is a single (albeit lengthy) thread, not a forum.

Go back to the "DVD TiVo Units" forum, and find "New Thread" button at the left below the list of threads.

Drew
Old 09-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #557
dizzydeane

Count me the Toshiba RS-TX club
dizzydeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #558
C5John

Ok, I guess I'll try here...

>>>The "Official Toshiba RS-TX Owners Club" is a single (albeit lengthy) thread, not a forum. Go back to the "DVD TiVo Units" forum, and find "New Thread" button at the left below the list of threads.<<<

As per my prior post and this response, my questions will be on Toshiba units in particular, not Tivo. So I'll try in this thread.

I own a Toshiba RD-XS32SU ( 80GB HDD, DVD Recorder ) and am contemplating getting a second unit, possibly a RS-TX20 or 60. I am happy with the unit I have (would like bigger HD though) but dont think its available any more. A couple of concerns about getting the RS-TX:

1. I dont really care about the Tivo aspects of unit ( DONT SHOOT ME!), so can the unit be programmed manually, such as like my RD-XS32SU can? I dont have a phone jack near where this unit will be placed so I may not be able to use the Tivo aspects.

2. I see from the specs that the RS-TX doesnt do RAM discs like my unit does. In mine, I can High Speed Dub from HD to RAM or from RAM to HD. Does the RS-TX allow dubbing, high speed or not, from HD to DVD (and vice-versa) at all?

again, thanks for any info, C5John
Old 09-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #559
azitnay

1) Yes, the RS-TX units have TiVo Basic, which allow for (you guessed it) basic functionality without a TiVo subscription. This includes three days of program data, and the ability to set up one-time or recurring recordings.

If you truly don't care about the TiVo functionality, I'm not sure the RS-TX units are going to be worth it to you. Most standalone DVD recorder units probably have a decent amount more non-TiVo functionality than these units. However, in my book the TiVo functionality makes it all worth it.

As for not having a phone jack, I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing due to TiVo Basic, the unit will still manually record without a phone connection (someone else might be able to provide a more concrete answer, though). However, you won't get even the three days of program data that Basic provides. You can always connect it via ethernet instead, if that's a better option.

2) The unit does HD -> DVD (that's the main point of it), but no DVD -> HD. By subscribing to TiVo Plus and using the new features in TiVo software 7.2, you could rip a DVD to your computer, and then transfer it to the TiVo, however.

Drew
Old 09-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #560
Bruzer

I just completed the 45 day trial with my RS-TX20. I certainly liked many of the features that Plus offered, but as irishguywi pointed out, it's hard financially to justify going to it. I'm going to stick with Basic for awhile and see how it goes.

One thing that I've already discovered (and hope that there's a workaround) is that it will only store recordings for 2 days before deleting them! I haven't found any way in Basic to change this. Does anyone know of a way to change this (other than upgrading to Plus ). Thanks.
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #561
azitnay

It shouldn't delete anything until it needs to. After two days, it marks it as "can be deleted to make room for other programs", but if you never fill it up and give it a reason to, it should never delete.

Drew
Old 09-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #562
C5John

I guess I'll look around some more

For another DVR option. I dont particularly want Tivo, I can program myself. As for other DVD burners, I find that recording to a HD for general VCR type usage is much faster/conveinient than recording to a DVD. The unit I have now (RD-XS32SU) burns to DVD or HD. Recording programs to a DVD to watch later just doesnt even compare with recording them to HD. By the time a DVD loads I could be watching something off the HD already, for instance. I can put chapter marks wherever I want on a show thats on the HD also, making it easier to resume watching a show where I left off.
( RAM DVD allows this also, works like a HD in some ways. Dont know why its not a more popular format.)

Anyway, thats what I'm looking for.... a HD based DVR. The DVD part is optional.

And if what Bruzer said is right about the 2 day limit....TOTALY UNACCEPTABLE. I record so many shows that it may be a week before I watch some of them.

Ps. Anybody know if there are any current units out there with the capabilities of the Toshiba RD-XS32SU??

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM   #563
C5John

Oh... ok. Just read what Azitnay said about the deleting thing.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #564
azitnay

I'm confused about what you're saying... A TiVo does give you the capability to record TV to the hard drive. That's been the whole point of TiVo all along.

Drew
Old 09-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #565
Bruzer

Thanks for the reply, azitnay. I was going by the information in the TO DO list which said something like "Keep Until (Record Date + 2 days)". The other weird thing is that even though I just completed my 45-day trial, I just got another 30-day trial! I wonder if it's related to the recent software upgrade?
Bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #566
slyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzer
Thanks for the reply, azitnay. I was going by the information in the TO DO list which said something like "Keep Until (Record Date + 2 days)". The other weird thing is that even though I just completed my 45-day trial, I just got another 30-day trial! I wonder if it's related to the recent software upgrade?
I too have received another free trial! Yea baby, keep 'em coming!
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:43 PM   #567
ashu
User title defunct

Keep Until should be interpreted as "Will not be deleted ANY sooner than"

It ALSO implies, "Will only be deleted if the space is needed for a SCHEDULED (not SUGGESTED) recording"

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #568
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5John
For another DVR option. I dont particularly want Tivo, I can program myself. As for other DVD burners, I find that recording to a HD for general VCR type usage is much faster/conveinient than recording to a DVD. The unit I have now (RD-XS32SU) burns to DVD or HD. Recording programs to a DVD to watch later just doesnt even compare with recording them to HD. By the time a DVD loads I could be watching something off the HD already, for instance. I can put chapter marks wherever I want on a show thats on the HD also, making it easier to resume watching a show where I left off.
( RAM DVD allows this also, works like a HD in some ways. Dont know why its not a more popular format.)
the other thing with the RS TX20 with TiVo interface. Any show you watch off the Hard drive will keep an automatic bookmark at where you left off watching it. When you go back it will have a resume playing option or if you hit play on it will just start palying from where you left off. It keeps a bookmark on every single show specific to that show.

Also TiVo interface has a skip to tick mark and 3 FF/RW speeds that make it very easy to move around in the show along with a bar at trhe bottom that very clearly marks where you are in the show. and there is also a skip back 8 seconds button and you can use a backdoor code to set the skip to end button to instead skip ahead 30 seconds for commercials,

now the best part is that the DVD player has the same interface to move around inside the show and is MUCH better than the standard DVD interfaces out there.

get an Toshiba TiVo with DVD burner. User it in TiVo Basic mode for a week, then try out the free trial of TiVo plus and decide from there on that issue.

one thing for sure - you will like watching shows via the TiVo interface (in either mode) and not feel at all like you have to record the shows to DVD to watch. Then the cool thing is - when you want to archive something to DVD - it is very easy point and click method (again in either Basic or Plus mode) and burn using a DVD-RW and you can stick that DVD into the other DVD recorder you have and edit it with bookmarks and chapters to hide the commercials and so forth. assuming the other DVD recorder has those abilities.

You will know well within the 30 day return period that you made a good purchase.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:45 AM   #569
steeagle

Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
30SS still works fine under 7.2 on RS-TX units... Try SPS30S again.

Drew

I think I got lost here. Could anyone explain what are 30SS and SPS30S to me? Thanks.
steeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:10 AM   #570
azitnay

30SS is 30-second skip (the ability to change the skip-to-tick button on the remote to function as 30-second skip instead when not fast-forwarding). Very useful for quickly skipping small parts of recordings (i.e. commercials).

SPS30S is the quick acronym for how to enable 30SS. The long version is:

- Start watching a recording (it's harder to do on live TV).

- Hit the following buttons in order:

Select
Play
Select
Select

After that, you should hear three bings (or apparently, dings), and 30-second skip will be enabled until you either turn it off (with SPS30S again) or the TiVo restarts.

Drew