TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 PM   #151
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

16:9 Mpeg files- Summary of solutions

It looks like if you run into the problem with 16:9 mpegs, you only have to do a reencoding if you have a 4x3 set that doesn't have a 16X9 compatible mode. In all other situations, worst case is you patch the first header in the mpeg and you are done in seconds.

Table attached indicates what remedy to use in which situation. (second to last column: F= Fix required. U=Tivo setting change needed, X= no tivo problem.)

Lucky ones are the 240 owners- it seems to handle all configurations with 16:9 megs just dandy.

(Technical FYI- the "aspect" ratio indicated in the Mpeg header is the pixel aspect ratio, not the data frame aspect ratio. My amature understanding is that there is no relationship between this settting and the horizontal or vertical number of lines.)
Attached Images
File Type: png 16x9 display behavior.png (6.4 KB, 793 views)
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 PM   #152
rjmitche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
It looks like if you run into the problem with 16:9 mpegs, you only have to do a reencoding if you have a 4x3 set that doesn't have a 16X9 compatible mode. In all other situations, worst case is you patch the first header in the mpeg and you are done in seconds.
Looks like I fall into your "worst case" scenario here. Your table indicates that I need to "convert rescaled with letterbox bars inserted, 4x3 aspect ratio". What is the best/easiest way to accomplish this?

(Hmmm... maybe I just need to go out and buy a new TV!)
rjmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:41 AM   #153
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

How to letterbox a video into 4x3, or make streaming ripped DVDs work on your 540

This general procedure and set of modules can be adapted for letterboxing many different kinds of video. It also can be used for downsizing a video so that it "streams" to your Tivo without any halts. DVD size video (720x480) can be played in streaming mode only by 240 Tivos (noticing a pattern here?), so folks with other Tivos that want real time may be interested in this technique as well. For the particular bug discussed, it is only necessary if you have a "dumb" SD set with a Toshiba Tivo, or a 54000x0 Tivo trying to play a 16:9 mpeg file.

You can accomplish this with graphedit, but it's going to get a bit messy- you'll have to install some codecs, possibly buy one (the ones I have I bought, but I recall using another free DirectShow module that will do the image manipulation portion and I probably mentioned it in a note back in March or April. All other modules have free versions as well. I prefer moonlight ones because of their features, but Free is a very nice feature too. Basically you just need something that will squeeze the image vertically and insert the black bars.

This heavy lifting work is done by an image manipulation module- everything else is housekeeping- separating the streams (demuxing), decoding them into something the image manipulator can manipulate, reencoding the video back, then mixing the streams back (muxer), then writing the file.

Where to load graphedit and some more methodical explanation of how to do things may be found in this thread.

The attached example graph "graphedit.png" uses modules from Moonlight. The image module is included with one of the Moonlight trial software products here . I can't remember which- maybe one stop compressor. It may also be downloaded from http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...how_Filter.htm Anyhow the way they are all hitched up is in the attached screen shots. To build, you drag drop your input file, then add graph filters- menu item graph.insert filters.Directshow Filters.

My box "Output file" is Moonlight filter Dumpos. When you insert this one, it will present a file dialog and you type in the output file name you'd like. The only other trick to know is that in the M71 muxer you must make sure you change it from transport stream to program stream. Also, you need to right click program stream and insert an additional stream. Then dismiss the dialog and refresh the screen. Otherwise you will only have one input pin and wonder how I got the second pin to send the audio over. I generally set the Dumpos object to crop files at 30000 ms, so that I can run quick tests. When you are good to go, hit the green arrow run key. When output file fills up, hit stop and see how it looks on the tivo. Sometimes you get memory errors on the second run. Just save your .GRf file and reload and you'll be ok.

This is definitely not for civilians, but if there are a lot of docs on how to use graphedit and you don't have to especially understand what is going on underneath the hood in order to get it to do useful things for you.

I have included the dialogs for some of the tricky objects. For some reason the image preparator calls the black bars an "appendix". Anyway, the calculation here is that our data is 480 lines, so our 4x3 screen width needs 640 dots across which has to correspond to the 16 in the 16:9 proportion, with the height being the 9, so 9/16 of 640 delivers us 360 line height for our image. So we need 60 lines above and 60 below to bulk us back out to the 480 lines that is required for the Tivo format. If I calculated wrong or you have a different goal- the idea hear is that the resized vertical (360) plus 2 times the black bar "appendix" value (60) has to come out to 480.

Why is the horizontal setting at 720? Aren't other settings ok? Students of this may wonder why I have 720 as my horizontal. The TV is going to stretch this or squeeze the horizontal line to whatever fits, so all you are really saying here is what your compression vs quality setting is. In my case, the original was 720, so I left the data as it was. But if I wanted a an mpeg that streamed to a 540 in real time, then 480 would have been a good choice. As the OP link'd Tivo article stated, this value can be as low as 352. It states legal values are 352, 480, 544, 704 & 720. Most people's Tivo's don't record at higher than 480. If you don't see the difference on your TV, make it lower- you will conserve space, and you will be able to play back in "streaming" mode without breaks.

Anyhow, for those that are trying to get 16:9 mpegs to play on their SDTV, what you will wind up with after running a correctly configured graph is a file that will play properly if you put your 540 Tivo in 16:9 mode. Folks with a DVD burner Tivo with a "dumb" SD TV should set the aspect ratio to 4x3 on the Image preparator dialog and they will be set. All those without dumb SD sets or with 240 Tivos don't need to be reading this note.

A similar procedure could be used for letterboxing 2.25:1 content into 16:9 windows, though this sort of transformation is already done for you on so called "anamorphic" DVDs for those ultra wide aspect ratios.

As an efficiency measure, if you move the input file to a processing folder, and set the output file to the same folder, you only have to perform the error prone authoring of the grf file once. There are probably some programs that will let you automate the moving files in, renaming them, running graphedit on them, then moving the outputfile out. I don't have any real need for such batch operations but there are programs that allow you do create such things.

Hopefully you won't have too long a wait before Santa brings you a TV or writes you a freeware program that makes this more painless.

Good luck.

Note- the m71 muxer filter and possibly the moonlight encoder that I use will display a banner on the video until it is paid for. Many other muxer/demuxers will work just fine, and might be on your machine already because you have a video application like Sonic MyDVD, Ulead MovieMaker, or Nero. For the image processing module, if you look in the graphedit insert modules pick list under directshow filters, anything that says scaler, scalar [sic], bilinear, bicubic or has image in the name might help you. The trouble is that some scale, but don't add borders. If the scaler gives you a choice for best results, use "simple" or "bilinear" for downsizing, and "precise" or "Bicubic for upscaling. Just found more info on this at this site that may help with other graphedit techniques. Hang with it- you'll get a graph that works. There are definately free filters out there that will the same job. If anyone gets a set working that is free and doesn't display banners, I'm sure that many folks here would appreciate your posting them here.
Attached Images
File Type: png graphedit2.png (7.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: png image prep.png (4.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: png M71 muxer.png (13.2 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 08-31-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #154
MikeMar
Go Pats

Love this Reverse TTG!

I've been bittorrenting Twin Peaks Season 2 for like 2 months (5.5 gig at 2 k/sec about = long time) and now i just converted .avi to .mpg and transfered the first few eps to the TiVo and now I can watch them on TV, VERY happy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #155
cwoody222

Twin Peaks season 2? I'm very jealous! (I've got them on VHS but that's it and I don't have a VCR connected to my TV)

What program did you use to convert to .avi to .mpg that TiVo could play?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:45 PM   #156
MikeMar
Go Pats

I'll have to look at home, it was some trial thing, you can convert avi to mpg or wmv and all the other way around wmv to avi or mpg etc, or vob's and all that stuff.

I have never seen Season 2, and this was the only way I could get it! damn you not releasing the dvd's!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:31 AM   #157
datlev

Looks like I have the same issues with 16x9 mpg DVD content on my Humax DVD Recorder (595) Tivo. I just upgraded to 7.2 last night.

The artifacts seen when playing 16x9 Mpg files on the Tivo (regardless of Tivo's Video Setting of 4:3 or 16:9) are more like a completely out of sync video rather than cropping.

But in any case, the same resolution applies (DVDPatcher to modify to first header of the file to lie to Tivo that this is a 4:3 works great) Thanks for doing this investigation, as I was prepared to use Nero to change my DVD's to 4:3, but much prefer having native 16:9.

Still waiting for the 7.2 update for my 240 series Tivo.

-Datlev
datlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:55 AM   #158
justmike
This space for rent

You should be able to do the same trick with IfoEdit.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #159
dick_pfister

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTiVo
One thing you may not want to "try at home."

BTW I am getting out of spec mpegs to play properly on the 7.2 . The one that didn't work was ridiculously out of spec.

Not very scientific, but there's some monkeying to do ahead.
I got some to work, but they looked like crap. I took a few files and converted them to mpeg2 at 352x240 with a 750kbit CBR and MP2 @ 128 kbit. These are 4:3 files.

They play, but in a herky-jerky fashion with a pause every few seconds. The Tivo peeps say that the bitrate should be between 1000 and 8000 kbit. As the picture quality goes, the resolution looked just fine. So I don't know if the jerky nature of the clip was due to the bitrate, resolution, or both.

But in any case, they play, but not well. This is on a 540 series Tivo.

I also tried a 16:9 ratio convertion. That looked like a mess. The picture was fubar.

As for speed goes, it's slow on the wireless. I have a D-Link 802.11b adapter on Tivo, and it's the only wireless device on the network. The PC->Tivo sends at about 370 kilobytes per second. Tivo->PC goes about 340-350 kilobytes per second. That's not bad for wireless, however. Still a bit shy of the 700-800 kilobytes per second real-life max for a 10mbit ethernet connection, however.
dick_pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 06:00 AM   #160
skillsrhodes

A few problems

It looks fantastic! I was really shocked by the picture quality from a few DVD's that I had pre-Shrunk. But I'm having a few problems.

When I create my vob's from DVD-Shrink I'm also getting .bup and .ifo, does that matter? And also, my Tivo only appears willing to transfer the first minute of a VOB. But that first minute is beautiful. And since my HTPC just died Tivo might actually replace it.

thanks

skills
skillsrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:22 AM   #161
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillsrhodes
It looks fantastic! I was really shocked by the picture quality from a few DVD's that I had pre-Shrunk. But I'm having a few problems.

When I create my vob's from DVD-Shrink I'm also getting .bup and .ifo, does that matter? And also, my Tivo only appears willing to transfer the first minute of a VOB. But that first minute is beautiful. And since my HTPC just died Tivo might actually replace it.
I'm in the same boat when using DVD Shrink... though my PC transfers and plays 2 minutes of content. I'm wondering what in the MPEG is upsetting the Tivo - I suspect the meta data for length is missing or incorrect. I'm going to futz around with some of the settings and see if I can improve my results.

FYI I've been ignoring the .bup and .ifo files and my picture and sound quality for those first two minutes is also very good.

EDIT: I just downloaded DVD Patcher (very slick tool by the way!) and the headers appear correct. Though I did notice Justin Thyme is mentioning 720x480 content will not stream to certain Tivo's such as my Toshiba. I'm wondering if this is the issue and I wonder if I can copy the flick (as in not streaming) successfully.

Last edited by davezatz : 09-08-2005 at 11:32 AM.
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #162
morac
Cat God

I found out that my TiVo will play 324x240 MPG2 format which isn't listed as valid on TiVo's site. When Sonic decided to create a file in that format I figured I'd give it a try. This means that SVCD format will work.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #163
ashu
User title defunct

Isn't SVCD 480x480? 320x240 sounds like VCD. And that IS a good find - smaller files, and no real noticeable difference if well encoded, and using an SD TV!

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #164
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz
I'm in the same boat when using DVD Shrink... though my PC transfers and plays 2 minutes of content. I'm wondering what in the MPEG is upsetting the Tivo - I suspect the meta data for length is missing or incorrect. I'm going to futz around with some of the settings and see if I can improve my results.

FYI I've been ignoring the .bup and .ifo files and my picture and sound quality for those first two minutes is also very good.

EDIT: I just downloaded DVD Patcher (very slick tool by the way!) and the headers appear correct. Though I did notice Justin Thyme is mentioning 720x480 content will not stream to certain Tivo's such as my Toshiba. I'm wondering if this is the issue and I wonder if I can copy the flick (as in not streaming) successfully.
The only dvd I've had a problem with so far using dvd-shrink was a certain first episode of a certain 'Stellar Conflicts' 6-part series(), which had an extremely high bitrate(in excess of 9000, solved it by running the file through ffmpeg and specifying a lower bitrate). I'm using the re-author mode, with nothing selected other than the main movie video and 1 audio stream. I'm happily using ac3 with my 240, by the way; it sounds fine fed into my home-theater amplifier. I'm sure that the 'true' 5.1 mix isn't being preserved(since all I've got to work with are the standard L/R audio cables), but it seems that down-mixing to stereo and setting my reciever to dolby stereo mode will still engage all of the speakers, and it still sounds 'like 5.1', even if I know it isn't true 5.1. The user inteface on my dvd player(which is one of those all-in-one dvd/tuner/amplifier dealies) is one of the most frustrating pieces of crap I've ever had to put up with, and I'm quite happy trading off the loss of the audio mix for the convenience of the TiVo UI.

Last edited by gonzotek : 09-10-2005 at 02:57 PM.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #165
skillsrhodes

Got the skinny with DVDShrink....

Open your disc
Go to Re-Author
Drag over the Title you want to conver to VOB
Click on Compression Settings
Make sure there are no subpicture streams selected

voila...

Alternatively, you can select in Preferences > Stream Selections "Disable All Subpicture Except Forced"

This will keep you from having to perform that step. It will also keep you from transferring foreign films with no dubbed option.... sigh....

And you can indeed ignore the bup and ifo

skills
skillsrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:23 PM   #166
tivovito

Any solutions to the jitter problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodie
I have noticed the same thing, where when panning there will be a slight gerkinesss. I am also using FFMPEG (GUI4FFMEG). On some DVD's, when using the Shrink method, the video vibrates or jitters; is this due to too-high of a bitrate? On these DVDs, I then coverted the VOB file with FFMPEG, which fixes the jitter but causes the jerkiness during panning.

Also, I have noticed that on some videos the 1X FF doesn't work (it will play at normal speed without sound). I have not yet correlated this with a characterstic of the MPG file though.

Final question. When using Shrink to rip the DVD and choosing to compresss the video, will results in a reduction of the bit rate, correct? I still notice the vibrating when I do this.
I've also noticed the video jitter problem on Divx files that I've converted to .mpg. Is anyone playing .mpg files with no jitters? If so, how was the .mpg created? Ripping a DVD? Home video? TV Capture?

It's most visible when a title or non-scrolling credit is on the screen.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:27 PM   #167
DaddyBC

mpg shows zero length.

Using Dvd Encrypter I ripped a VOB off of a DVD. I changed the Extension to mpg and it plays just fine in Windows media player but the player shows the length as 0:00.

When transferring it to Tivo the transfer starts and ends quickly (3 secs or so).
I can then play the 3 seconds and it looks fine. I am assuming that the 0:00 length shown is causing Tivo to think the mpg is just a small file.
Would anyone know how I can change the length to show how long the program actually is? Or am I ripping it incorrectly?
Old 09-11-2005, 05:41 PM   #168
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyBC
Would anyone know how I can change the length to show how long the program actually is? Or am I ripping it incorrectly?
I don't know the answers... but I do know I've experienced similar problems with selected discs. I would try another movie or two and see what happens. DVDPatcher will let you view your header info to compare/modify to what you Tivo should be capable of it.

Hopefully one of us will come up with a method/program that works 100% of the time. Anybody?
davezatz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #169
blkboy

Ok I've read most of the posts above and I still Have a question. what is the easiest and fastest way to convert avi or wmv files to MPEG-2? I just got TMPGEnc Plus and it does work but it takes over 2 hours to convet a 1 hour avi file. Is there any faster way?
blkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #170
Re-Hash
Registered Loser

Quote:
Hopefully one of us will come up with a method/program that works 100% of the time. Anybody?
If you have a standard def TV, and have the time to transcode, SVCD format seems quite reliable on TiVo. While you are at it, you can force letterboxing (16:9->4:3 letterboxed), subtitles, etc. as well. Something like DVD2SVCD will do this automatically - start the conversion before you go to bed, and it's ready in the morning.

At DVD resolution I can't get the MPEGs (VOBs) to transfer in realtime anyway over WiFi - but at SVCD resolution it's ok.
Re-Hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #171
Re-Hash
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboy
I just got TMPGEnc Plus and it does work but it takes over 2 hours to convet a 1 hour avi file. Is there any faster way?
TMPGEnc is probably your best bet. Transcoding is slow; not much you can do about it.
Re-Hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #172
bidger

I was able to figure out how to do this over the weekend. I tried Nero, but either my version for doing this isn't right or I did it wrong, but either way it was a no go. I was able to do it with WinDVD Creator. I was using .avi files and the conversion was relatively quick for 90+ min. files. The first one I tried was @ SVCD settings, but for some reason that file was split into three parts in My TiVo Recordings. I did a 22 min. file @ DVD-HQ and that transferred and played, but there was some weird occurences during the transfer. I went into one of the 3 parts of the previously transferred files to see if I could delete it there, but I didn't see that option. I went to "Don't Do Anything", which TiVo took literally. The only button it would respond to was the channel Up/Down so I could surf through the transferred files, but nothing else.

I waited until the file I was transferring was finished and I pulled the plug on the TiVo. It successfully rebooted and all the files were there. I played the 22 min. file and it played and looked OK. I tried another 90+ min. file, but for whatever reason it quit after about 15 mins. I had to tell TiVo to transfer again and this time it completed. Suffice to say, I did encounter some flakiness with the process.

I would have to say of all the HMO features I've tried, this is the one I could find the most use for. I was gonna upgrade to a 160G HdD, but this is making me consider stepping it up.
bidger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:23 PM   #173
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

Quote:
I don't know the answers... but I do know I've experienced similar problems with selected discs. I would try another movie or two and see what happens. DVDPatcher will let you view your header info to compare/modify to what you Tivo should be capable of it.

In my recent experiences with mpg's that stop transfering early, transcoding the audio to 48KHz at 192kbps (or above) - from other than 48KHz - seems to cure it.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #174
kbmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
OK here is the updated step by step list for the dvd decrypter method of generating an Mpeg from a stubborn dvd- not sure if it is any better than other methods. I am just plugging along seeing how this way works...

Tools needed:
  1. DVD decrypter download from Doom9 http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm
  2. Mplex.EXE location: http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=210470

Using DVD decrypter 3.5.4.0 :
Go to tools.settings, tab IFO mode options. Set File Splitting to "None"

1) use IFO mode,
2) on the right hand tab, click on stream processing tab.
3) check the box to extract streams
4) uncheck the streams you don't want.
5) For Each stream, click the stream, then click Radio button Demux.
6) Now click the icon to run the decrypt.

Now for putting the files back together

mplex -f 3 -O nn -o output.mpg VTS_01_1.M2V VTS_01_1.ac3

Where nn = the audio offset stated in DVD decrypter's VTS_01 - Stream Information.txt file.

Previously unresolved problems
* Problem of AC3 not getting outputed to a VOB was solved. If you get a vob with the ac3 file in it, in step 5 you did not click the demux button for the ac3 stream.
* 16:9 aspect ratio "anamorphic" Mpegs will not display correctly on certain combinations of Tivos and Televisions. This is generally rare, but if you are affected the solution in nearly all cases is very quick. See this note for table of combinations affected, and the remedies.

Any suggested corrections? Please PM me.

Edit 9/2- A) corrections so you won't get ac3 in a vob.
B) Pointer to remedies for 16:9 mpeg display problems.
Thanks to Dan for telling us about this approach, Oodie, and other more experienced folks who got me straightenned out on this process.
So I tried this method and it seems to have worked....however, I now have a 9 GB mpeg file. Anyway to trim this down some?

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 12:20 AM   #175
HDTiVo
Not so Senior Member

http://www.crn.com/sections/breaking...leId=170703314

Seagate Acquires Mirra

By Joseph F. Kovar, CRN
7:24 PM EDT Wed. Sep. 14, 2005
Hard drive giant Seagate Technology expanded its reach into the small business and home storage markets with Wednesday's acquisition of Mirra.

Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Mirra produces the all-in-one Mirra Personal Server, a device which combines an intelligent network appliance, client software, and Web services for remote access of data into a single unit, said Mirra CEO Tom Shea.

By itself, the Mirra Personal Server acts as a backup device for multiple PCs in a small business or home, said Shea. However, with the Web software, users can allow other users access through the Internet to files stored on the server, and they can also specify certain folders for use in file sharing across the Internet, he said.

Shea said that Seagate already has branded storage solutions, but that the company is interested in Mirra because customers are looking for plug-and-play solutions in small businesses and homes. "We have a shared vision with Seagate on that," he said.

Going forward, Mirra is working on its next generation of Personal Server, which Shea said will have a smaller footprint, quieter operation, and improved performance. "We're raising the bar another level," he said.

Mirra has always used only Seagate hard drives, and so will not have to qualify a new vendor going forward, said Shea. "That certainly makes things simple," he said.

The Mirra Personal Server is available to the channel through D&H Distributing and Tech Data.

Financial details of the acquisition were not discussed. The deal closed on Wednesday.
HDTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #176
Zman771

VOB -> MPG -> TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillsrhodes
Got the skinny with DVDShrink....

Open your disc
Go to Re-Author
Drag over the Title you want to conver to VOB
Click on Compression Settings
Make sure there are no subpicture streams selected

voila...

Alternatively, you can select in Preferences > Stream Selections "Disable All Subpicture Except Forced"

This will keep you from having to perform that step. It will also keep you from transferring foreign films with no dubbed option.... sigh....

And you can indeed ignore the bup and ifo

skills
I tried this and it didn't work. I tried with several DVD's and nothing. Did anyone get this to work?
Zman771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 05:25 PM   #177
RaGINaR
Fly Boy

I've been using DVDShrink to convert the movies from multiple VOB to 1 file. Then I use DVDPatcher to convert the header of the file from 16:9 to 4:3 (720x480 res).

Before I was only using DVDShrink, and this was making my 540040 have images that were multiple and blurred. After using Patcher, the image is crisp and clear!

Thanks for the advice, and hope others get it to work too.

Wii Code 6715 3989 4782 3489
XBOX LIVE Raginarr
RaGINaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 10:56 PM   #178
joshdev
JoshDev

As soon as I get 5 posts in, I've put together a guide that easily explains how to convert 16:9 content to 4:3 letterbox. Yes you can patch a 16:9 to 4:3 or tell your Tivo that your television supports 16:9, but this stretches the image to fit the whole screen and people tend to look skinny.

--Josh
joshdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #179
woodie

I setup a box with an ASTC tuner (and UHF antenna), and recorded an HD show.
I then transcoded it from HD down to ED (DVD quality), and viewed it on my
Pioneer 810H... which was stunning. I would record other HD broadcasts this way,
if the process were not so painful.
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:29 PM   #180
Stainless Steele
Wake-Maker!

I'd give my right arm for Divx support!
Tivo Series 2 40hrs w/HMO Lifetime (paid for HMO)
Phillips PTV300 60hrs Lifetime Turbonet (My first!! Bought it the day it came out! Will always hold a special place in my heart!) My brother is currently using this!
JavaHMO Rocks!!!!
Gateway MCE PC 901XL 200gb P4 3g
Stainless Steele is offline   Reply With Quote