Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 AM   #181
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerboy
dos2unix is part of the tivotools package. If you have a busybox folder, it is probably located in there.
Don't have it. Any other source you can point me towards?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #182
tsunami

try to google tivotools.tar
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #183
tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
Fakecall will also run every night as part of the cron installation (if you chose to install cron). Since I don't have to use the "tivosh" command to run fakecall, I didn't include that in the crontab line that runs fakecall. I have since fixed this, and will include it in the next version of the script. To fix it yourself, edit line 30 of the following file to add "tivosh" before fakecall.tcl:

/var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

Editing the author file will also work, but fakecall won't be run until late in the reboot process when the author file is called. Ideally you want it to run before the reboot. I'm not sure where it comes up in the boot cycle, so it may be fine, but you might want to edit your crontab (root) just to be sure.

The next script version coming later this week will have a few more useful goodies, so you may prefer to abondon the current installation and wait for the new one.
Rbautch, I know that you said I could just wait for your next script, but I love messing with new things, and hopefully learning.
I edited my root to this yesterday

# Run fakecall every night at 3:20am est
20 11 * * * tivosh fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

But the System info still shows the only call was the one I manually ran. Granted that is good enough, because I don't have a phone line attached and the 6.2 hack got rid of the nag, but what else isn't running? And why isn't fakecall?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #184
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
But the System info still shows the only call was the one I manually ran. Granted that is good enough, because I don't have a phone line attached and the 6.2 hack got rid of the nag, but what else isn't running? And why isn't fakecall?

Now you've got me curious. If the 6.2 hack got rid of the nag, and you don't have a phone line attached, why bother with fakecall at all? (or am I missing something?)
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #185
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstager
Don't have it. Any other source you can point me towards?
Technically, you shouldn't need it for the script unless you didn't transfer the files using "binary" mode in your FTP client. Even if you did, you can manually detete the dos line endings in the script, which looks like ^M^M. If you still want dos2unix, search on DDB for a thread entitled "All-In-One S2 utilities collection"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #186
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Rbautch, I know that you said I could just wait for your next script, but I love messing with new things, and hopefully learning.
I edited my root to this yesterday

# Run fakecall every night at 3:20am est
20 11 * * * tivosh fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >> /var/spool/cron/cronlogs/CRONLOG-MAIN

If perhaps /busybox is not in your PATH, try running it with
Code:
20 11 * * * tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >>
If you really want to get nuts, try this
Code:
 */2 * * * * tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >>
..which will run fakecall every 2 minutes, allowing you to test it easier. Note that you have to reboot to get the system information screen to update with a "succeeded". Let me know what you find.

or

Old 08-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #187
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer
Now you've got me curious. If the 6.2 hack got rid of the nag, and you don't have a phone line attached, why bother with fakecall at all? (or am I missing something?)
Almost true. Fakecall not needed if your phoneline is disconnected, unless you really like to see the last call attempt status reset to "succeeded". The only other use for fakecall is when you upgrade to 6.2 with an image, you need it to fake an initial call to get DVR functions working.

or

Old 08-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #188
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
Almost true. Fakecall not needed if your phoneline is disconnected, unless you really like to see the last call attempt status reset to "succeeded". The only other use for fakecall is when you upgrade to 6.2 with an image, you need it to fake an initial call to get DVR functions working.
Also, so you can get PPV on a whim...
You can order through the remote again.
BTW, mine works... I said many moons ago that I would guinea-pig this. I had fakecall issues initially, but... I got chraged by D* for the PPV, my phone line is connected, my Status updates to "suceeded" and Tivo hasn't tried to kill my hacks. I am a HAPPY camper

Gunny and rbautch are my heroes!

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
HR21-700 - PRAYING for a D*TiVo Exchange program in '09
HR21-100 - PRAYING for a D*TiVo Exchange program in '09
beejpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #189
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

rbautch,
will you post a notice when you make your next release of the tweak script?
Or should we just keep checking the original post? And will you post changes made in that version?
Thanks fo all the good work.

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
Old 08-24-2005, 01:51 PM   #190
rbautch
User

I will post a notice and highlight the changes. Beej, is fakecall running from cron successfully for you?

or

Old 08-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #191
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Russ,
This script of your is incredible. I'm ready to assist with that project we spoke about last month.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #192
tsunami

Quote:
If perhaps /busybox is not in your PATH, try running it with
Code:
20 11 * * * tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >>
If you really want to get nuts, try this
Code:
 */2 * * * * tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl; echo "`date` fakecall made" >>
..which will run fakecall every 2 minutes, allowing you to test it easier. Note that you have to reboot to get the system information screen to update with a "succeeded". Let me know what you find.
Busybox is in the path in my rc.sysinit.author file.
I added
*/2 * * * * tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl
to my line 20 and rebooted. No go, still no indication of a call since the manual running of tivosh fakecall.tcl
Does the drive need to be in RW mode, not when I add the new root, but all the time for it to work?
Also, the way I am editing the root file is to copy it over to the PC, open it with Metapad, save it, then copy it over the top. I don't delete the old root, rename, etc.
Is that the correct method.
Once again, I only needed it run once, which it did, but, stuff like this helps me to "think" like a TiVO and gives me so much more knowledge. So, I enjoy it and appreciate your hand holding.
Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #193
rbautch
User

Is fakecall the only line of cron that's not working? Take a look at the log in /var/spool/cron/crologs/CRONLOG-MAIN to make sure cron is running other tasks properly. Actually, this log is only an idication that crond is reading that particular line of your crontab, not that the actual command succeeded. Also, you said you modified root and then rebooted. That would restart cron and get it to read the new root, but then you'd have to reboot again for the fakecall to take effect. After modifying root, you really don't need to reboot, just type "ps" and look for the process number associated with crond. Stop crond from running by typing "kill ###", where ### is the process number. Then restart crond with /busybox/crond

No need for RW, and your edit process sounds ok.

or

Old 08-24-2005, 03:07 PM   #194
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Russ,
This script of your is incredible. I'm ready to assist with that project we spoke about last month.
Awesome. I'll finish testing my lastest version, and maybe we can get started next week.

or

Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #195
tsunami

Quote:
Is fakecall the only line of cron that's not working? Take a look at the log in /var/spool/cron/crologs/CRONLOG-MAIN to make sure cron is running other tasks properly. Actually, this log is only an idication that crond is reading that particular line of your crontab, not that the actual command succeeded. Also, you said you modified root and then rebooted. That would restart cron and get it to read the new root, but then you'd have to reboot again for the fakecall to take effect. After modifying root, you really don't need to reboot, just type "ps" and look for the process number associated with crond. Stop crond from running by typing "kill ###", where ### is the process number. Then restart crond with /busybox/crond

No need for RW, and your edit process sounds ok.
This is my log
Tue Aug 23 10:14:02 UTC 2005 TWP stopped
Tue Aug 23 11:15:02 UTC 2005 TWP started
Tue Aug 23 11:20:02 UTC 2005 fakecall made
Wed Aug 24 11:14:02 UTC 2005 TWP stopped
Wed Aug 24 11:15:02 UTC 2005 TWP started
Wed Aug 24 11:20:03 UTC 2005 fakecall made

TWP does start everytime so that is good.

I killed process 354 (crond) then went to /busybox and started it. Still no fakecall even though I set it up for every two minutes as per your line.
This is frustrating.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #196
rbautch
User

Try another reboot now. If no luck, try this:
Code:
*/2 * * * * cd /busybox; tivosh fakecall.tcl
Then kill crond, verify that it was killed with ps, start it again, verify that it restarted, then reboot again.

or

Old 08-24-2005, 05:25 PM   #197
tsunami

Quote:
Try another reboot now. If no luck, try this:
Code:
*/2 * * * * cd /busybox; tivosh fakecall.tcl
Then kill crond, verify that it was killed with ps, start it again, verify that it restarted, then reboot again.
Nothing is working for this. Did the above, no change. Plus it isn't showing up in the main log which even if it isn't running you would think it would. However it does show up as having run last night (even though it didn't) when all those other things run

Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #198
rbautch
User

Pehaps the cron installation got messed up somehow. Maybe best to start fresh. Try using the uninstall script, then reinstall. Then edit the root file to run fakecall every 2 minutes using vi instead of FTPing to your PC. Just want to eliminate a few variables as possible.

or

Old 08-24-2005, 05:42 PM   #199
tsunami

Quote:
Pehaps the cron installation got messed up somehow. Maybe best to start fresh. Try using the uninstall script, then reinstall. Then edit the root file to run fakecall every 2 minutes using vi instead of FTPing to your PC. Just want to eliminate a few variables as possible.
I would be happy to try that,however, I haven't mentioned it, but this is repeating itself on both of my DTiVO units.
Of course I did edit the root file the same so that could have messed up both.
You think it is worth uninstalling and editing with VI (which I abhor).
Mike
Old 08-24-2005, 10:57 PM   #200
rbautch
User

VI isn't so bad once you learn a few commands. Print out a list from Google and you're good to go. For minor edits, I find this easier that transfering the file to my PC for editing. I did a little testing, and cron runs fakecall fine on all all my tivos. The only commands that work are "tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl" or just "fakecall.tcl". Using "tivosh" without the path will fail. If you want to test it further, I've attached a version of fakecall that I've modified so it takes relatively long time (30 seconds) to run. This will give you enough time to confirm cron is running it using ps.

One last thing to check....could cron be calling up an old version of fakecall that was never deleted?
Attached Files
File Type: zip fakecall-long.zip (963 Bytes, 20 views)

or

Old 08-24-2005, 11:37 PM   #201
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
Beej, is fakecall running from cron successfully for you?
I assume it is running from crond because the logs say it ran it and the date is updating. I will check again after Sunday nights reboot.
I may get a chance to force a reboot tomorrow night...

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
Old 08-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #202
tsunami

Quote:
VI isn't so bad once you learn a few commands. Print out a list from Google and you're good to go. For minor edits, I find this easier that transfering the file to my PC for editing. I did a little testing, and cron runs fakecall fine on all all my tivos. The only commands that work are "tivosh /busybox/fakecall.tcl" or just "fakecall.tcl". Using "tivosh" without the path will fail. If you want to test it further, I've attached a version of fakecall that I've modified so it takes relatively long time (30 seconds) to run. This will give you enough time to confirm cron is running it using ps.

One last thing to check....could cron be calling up an old version of fakecall that was never deleted?
I ran your longfakecall manually and it shows up in three PID's.
Running crond it does not show up.
I have made sure that it is the only version on the TiVO

Mike
Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #203
tsunami

OK, everything is working fine now. Woke up to a successful call.
I ran uninstall. I posted last night that it wouldn't run right (but don't see that post this morning), hitting Y gave unknown command message. So I edited the uninstall, by copying the uninstall commands and pasted them to ELSE so that worked fine.
Edited root with VI and it is working.
Now I need to try it on the other unit.
Thanks for your guidance.
Mike
Old 08-25-2005, 12:29 PM   #204
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
Russ,
Hmmmm... you 2 working together?
It will be glorious

Will it?

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
Old 08-25-2005, 12:38 PM   #205
rbautch
User

Shhhhhhh.... It's a surprise.

or

Old 08-25-2005, 07:40 PM   #206
rbautch
User

Please do not ask questions or even mention my scripts on DDB. I like to think that I've given decent support for any script issues here on TCF. Thanks...

or

Old 08-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #207
Human123
DTivo TakeitOrLeavo

You have!!!
Thanks for the efforts...
Human123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #208
rbautch
User

New Enhancement Script Released

I gave the enhancement scripts a major overhaul over the past few weeks. The most significant addition is the option to make automatic weekly backups of your season passes and wishlists. If you’ve ever had to re-enter them from scratch, you’ll appreciate the usefulness of this feature. Here’s a quick list of new features. See the original post for details.

1. Makes a one-time instant backup of season passes and wishlists.

2. Appends your crontab to make a weekly backup of your season passes and wishlists.

3. Installs a slightly improved “almost there” splash screen. Also allows you to manually install any of these other splash screens.

4. Replaces fakecall.tcl with a modified version that works with 6.2.

5. Adds or removes Showcases and Yellow Stars.

6. Updates the profile to easily edit the crontab.

7. Removes HMO/MRV expiration certificates that could otherwise stop HMO/MRV from working a few months from now (added in version 2.1).

If you installed a previous version of the enhancement script, run the uninstall script first, and then the new version 2.2 script. The uninstall.sh script that comes with version 2.2 will remove any previous version. I removed the interactive features for those who had CRLF issues with other uninstall scripts.

or

Old 08-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #209
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Thanks Rbautch and any others that have worked on this with you

Rick
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #210
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

I got the script to run, but noticed that there was a "file not found" error when the script tried to change the "Almost There" screen. I still have my old "Almost There" screen. Any ideas what I did wrong?
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote