TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM   #511
gardibolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
30SS has not been disabled... You must just not be doing it right. Start watching a recording (it's harder to make it work on live TV). Then, press SELECT, PLAY, SELECT, 3, 0, SELECT in order. You'll hear three bings if it worked.

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of the stuff you mentioned being disabled... None of it's ever been there in the first place.

Drew

I get no bings, and it just goes zip to the end.

Other DVD recorders allow editing and burning to DVD at a different speed than the program was originally recorded at; I had a Philips for a while that was an entry level machine and did that just fine; unfortunately its TV Guide feature was incompatible with my cable and made it fairly pointless. I can only assume Tivo did not want to allow these fairly basic features for some reason.

I wish I had known that it was incompatible with DSL; it's always a big headache to disconnect and reconnect everything every 2 weeks to feed Tivo its information. If you hook up wireless to it, will that work, or is there still a problem with DSL running over the same lines?
gardibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:48 PM   #512
gardibolt

Quote:
I figured he meant changing the actual DVD burning speed, as most PC DVD burning software packages can do... I'm not sure why you'd ever want it at less than max nowadays, though.

Drew
Since the RS-TX20 won't record on dual layer discs, you're stuck putting a movie at 2-hour speed rather than the max.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #513
azitnay

Keep trying to enable 30SS... It works fine on the RS-TX units; you must simply be missing something.

I'm not sure why you think it's incompatible with DSL. You can hook it up to your home network, and it'll work just fine.

As for your other rants, ashu already explained that the TiVo hardware simply can't sustain tasks like transcoding, editing, etc. So, yes, you're stuck with the original recording, at its original recording quality. These machines were meant for simple point-and-click recording, not vast editing tasks. If you want to do major editing, use TiVoToGo, strip the DRM, and do whatever you want with the MPEG's.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #514
gardibolt

Quote:
Keep trying to enable 30SS... It works fine on the RS-TX units; you must simply be missing something.

I'm not sure why you think it's incompatible with DSL. You can hook it up to your home network, and it'll work just fine.

Drew
No, it won't. If the router is on, TiVo cannot dial in. If TiVo is connected to the phone system, the DSL does not work. If I shut the router off, TiVo can dial in just fine. If TiVo is disconnected from the phone lines then the DSL works fine.

Hence, incompatible.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #515
azitnay

Ahh, so you're continuing to use the TiVo modem instead of connecting it via ethernet. You should just be able to put a DSL filter on the TiVo's line, right?

Drew
Old 08-23-2005, 07:02 PM   #516
SystemJinx
(o_0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardibolt
I get no bings, and it just goes zip to the end.
I can vouch that the 30 second skip does work on the Toshiba RS-TX20. I have it enabled. Just play a prerecorded program and point the peanut remote at the Tivo. Press Select, Play (above the yellow II button), Select, 3, 0, Select and it will ding 3 times. The 30 skip will be enabled until the unit is rebooted.

Quote:
Other DVD recorders allow editing and burning to DVD at a different speed than the program was originally recorded at; I had a Philips for a while that was an entry level machine and did that just fine; unfortunately its TV Guide feature was incompatible with my cable and made it fairly pointless. I can only assume Tivo did not want to allow these fairly basic features for some reason.
Tivo doesn't offer any editing but as for speed, make sure you are using a 4 speed or faster DVD-R media. I can burn a 2 hour movie in about 30 minutes.
SystemJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #517
oly4him

Low Audio Record Level

The audio level on any recorded shows, or shows burned to DVD are a lot lower than the audio level on shows being watched on "Live TV" or when watching pre-recorded DVDs.

Any ideas on what can be done to adjust this?

Thanks
oly4him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:56 PM   #518
ashu
User title defunct

Audio level on shows I record to DVD is perfectly matched with the (original) recording level. Are you using different sets of outputs to a home theater receiver? If so, the DVD's digital audio output may be clipped or amplified to a lesser extent IF you have your receiver set to do this, or if the settings for the two audio signals vary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #519
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Hence, incompatible.
Just like fax machines and dialup modems are incompatible with DSL.

As azitnay said - have you heard of a DSL filter?

I'd Roll my Eyes, but then I'd be accused of being unkind to new members, so

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-23-2005, 08:53 PM   #520
gardibolt

I have a DSL filter on the line, thank you very much. My fax machine works fine on the phone line too, just not the TiVo.

On the positive side, I tried 5 or 6 more times on the 30-second skip and finally got that to work. Thanks for the encouragement to keep trying. Never did get any bings, though.

Last edited by gardibolt : 08-23-2005 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #521
andydbrown50

Has anybody had freeze-ups

Basically every afternoon I've been coming home and my DMS is frozen on the screen, (picture is oddly pixalated - is that a word?????). So to get it back I have to unplug it and then plug it back in. Has anyone had this problem and have they been able to resolve it.
andydbrown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #522
JeffDawg

I am experiencing the same...

problem with my RS-TX60. About every 2-3 days it re-sets itself and gets stuck. I wonder if the hard drive is about to die. Any suggestions?
JeffDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #523
scottt
Macintosh Guru

I got my Toshiba thanks to the BestBuy rebate/coupon deal. I finally got my rebate check which means I can actually break the seal on the box.

How long does the trial TiVo service last? Do I have to "activate" the unit (and start the clock) to use it? I would like to copy DVD's to the unit to watch later (subscribed to BlockBusters DVD service and would like to record some DVD's to the unit). Do I need to activate TiVo service to do this?

I plan to use only TiVo basic service on this unit, but would be nice to have the full service during the fall season startup.

Thanks.
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:52 AM   #524
azitnay

I believe the trial is typically 45 days.

You don't actually activate the TiVo service during the trial (i.e. you never go to tivo.com and enter your information).

As for your DVD copying, it depends what method you want to use to put them on the box. If you simply want to use the front A/V inputs to record them onto the TiVo, that should work... However, if you're talking about ripping them to MPEG-2 format and using reverse TiVoToGo to get them on the box, I don't think you'll be able to do that during the trial.

Drew
Old 08-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #525
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought I read (in this thread I think) that you could stick a DVD in the drive and copy it to the hard drive for later viewing. If it was a commercial DVD with copy protection, you couldn't then burn it to DVD (which I'm not looking to do). I just want to store a bunch of movies on the HD for viewing later.

Does the 45 day clock start when I turn the unit on?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:32 PM   #526
Runch Machine

You CAN'T copy a DVD from the internal DVD reader to the hard drive. You CAN copy a DVD from a DVD player connected to the video inputs on the front or back of the unit. When you plug the DVD recorder in for the first time it will go through guided setup. It will ask you to subscribe to the Tivo service. If you say no, then it will offer you a 45 day trial. After a day or two you may get a message saying that your free trial is almost up, but it will still last the full 45 days.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 03:07 PM   #527
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Crap. I completely read that wrong (was looking forward to dumping some DVD's to the unit). Guess I can't move my other DVD player upstairs just yet.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #528
sledhed

HELP - AUDIO

Ok, new to the forum, just joined today... I bought an RS-TX20 during the BestBuy "sale", and we love it so far (will love the rebate when it gets here too ;-).

BUT - our television has fairly poor sound, and I would like the option of hooking the audio up to our stereo. Since there is only one set of audio outputs, and no RF output, those have to go to the TV (for when we do not care about audio quality that much and the stereo is off). I need a way to hook the thing up to my stereo's auxilliary inputs as well. Stereo is old enough it does not do digital audio.

What can I do? Can I get some sort of adapter to hook the digital audio out to the stereo inputs? Keeping in mind I am on a budget here.

Any ideas welcome. Seems like a great forum for info on this unit. Thanks.
sledhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #529
DarkShadows

What's the big deal with the 30 second skip?

You are telling me that you have to push that button 10 times for a standard commercial break?

I could see maybe that it would be helpful when you are scanning past the commercials and don't want to overshoot, but it seems like a lotta button crunching to me.
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #530
gardibolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed
HELP - AUDIO

Ok, new to the forum, just joined today... I bought an RS-TX20 during the BestBuy "sale", and we love it so far (will love the rebate when it gets here too ;-).

BUT - our television has fairly poor sound, and I would like the option of hooking the audio up to our stereo. Since there is only one set of audio outputs, and no RF output, those have to go to the TV (for when we do not care about audio quality that much and the stereo is off). I need a way to hook the thing up to my stereo's auxilliary inputs as well. Stereo is old enough it does not do digital audio.

What can I do? Can I get some sort of adapter to hook the digital audio out to the stereo inputs? Keeping in mind I am on a budget here.

Any ideas welcome. Seems like a great forum for info on this unit. Thanks.
I don't believe there's any way to easily convert the digital output to analog for the stereo inputs. Getting a digital/analog converter would most likely cost more than upgrading your stereo in the first place. You could try getting a splitter and some more cables, though it's possible you'd get some signal degradation. You'd probably be most certain if you get an audio switcher (make sure it has at least 2 analog outputs--a lot of them have multiple inputs but only one output), and then you could flip between the TV and the stereo getting the analog output, as you desired. Either of those should run less than $20, with the splitter most likely being cheaper.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM   #531
sledhed

Quote:
I don't believe there's any way to easily convert the digital output to analog for the stereo inputs. Getting a digital/analog converter would most likely cost more than upgrading your stereo in the first place. You could try getting a splitter and some more cables, though it's possible you'd get some signal degradation. You'd probably be most certain if you get an audio switcher (make sure it has at least 2 analog outputs--a lot of them have multiple inputs but only one output), and then you could flip between the TV and the stereo getting the analog output, as you desired. Either of those should run less than $20, with the splitter most likely being cheaper.
Hm... thanks for the info... wish my TV had audio out jacks. Recently purchased it and did not think of looking for that feature, but I don't know if that is a common feature anyway.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #532
ashu
User title defunct

RCA splitters should work just fine for your purpose. get the ones that are a solid little piece that provide two V-shaped outputs, or get the 6-foot-cable (basic stereo RCA that plugs into one of your destination devices at the other end).

I've even used these for Video (my last receiver had inadequate connectors to supports ALL my devices and PC) without any issues.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #533
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows
What's the big deal with the 30 second skip?

You are telling me that you have to push that button 10 times for a standard commercial break?

I could see maybe that it would be helpful when you are scanning past the commercials and don't want to overshoot, but it seems like a lotta button crunching to me.
I'm not sure a standard commercial break is quite five minutes... Three or four perhaps.

I tend to use 3xFF more than 30SS personally, but 30SS is definitely for me when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to concentrate enough to hit the 3xFF dead-on.

And if you want to know a definite use for 30SS, just ask football fans -- the amount of time between the end of one play and the beginning of another is often just over 30 seconds. I get through full games I only care somewhat about in 45 minutes or so.

Drew
Old 08-30-2005, 01:48 PM   #534
sledhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
RCA splitters should work just fine for your purpose. get the ones that are a solid little piece that provide two V-shaped outputs, or get the 6-foot-cable (basic stereo RCA that plugs into one of your destination devices at the other end).

I've even used these for Video (my last receiver had inadequate connectors to supports ALL my devices and PC) without any issues.
Thanks, sounds like that is my option at this point.

I am not familiar with the digital (optical?) output - what can be done with that? Can I pipe that into my PC (other room) or perhaps laptop? Hm...
Old 08-30-2005, 03:58 PM   #535
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledhed
I am not familiar with the digital (optical?) output - what can be done with that? Can I pipe that into my PC (other room) or perhaps laptop? Hm...
Usually the optical output connects to your receiver for Dolby Digital, THX, etc. Not sure it's practical (or possible) to connect it to a laptop/PC.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:13 AM   #536
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
And if you want to know a definite use for 30SS, just ask football fans -- the amount of time between the end of one play and the beginning of another is often just over 30 seconds. I get through full games I only care somewhat about in 45 minutes or so.

Drew
Football - sure. It's abso-frikkin-lutely perfect for tennis. One 30secFF and two 8 second replays - precisely to the time where the player serves again after the end of the last point. I almost cried as I just watched Roddick get his gluteus maximus handed to him by Muller (and not because I like Roddick - his attitude usually sucks) because I was watching on my Toshiba SD-H400, that lacks 30 second skip

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-31-2005, 12:15 AM   #537
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Usually the optical output connects to your receiver for Dolby Digital, THX, etc. Not sure it's practical (or possible) to connect it to a laptop/PC.
More and more newer auio solutions (sound cards or on-motherboard chipsets) support digital audio input.

My nForce2 motherboard with the Athlon 2100 XP that is my Media PC has optical I/O And it rocks! I have my receiver hooked to this. Not that I capture much audio on the PC, but if I did - it'd be way coler than the current geeky 'how cool is that' facotr

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-31-2005, 02:35 PM   #538
azitnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu
Football - sure. It's abso-frikkin-lutely perfect for tennis. One 30secFF and two 8 second replays - precisely to the time where the player serves again after the end of the last point. I almost cried as I just watched Roddick get his gluteus maximus handed to him by Muller (and not because I like Roddick - his attitude usually sucks) because I was watching on my Toshiba SD-H400, that lacks 30 second skip
So, 14 seconds... That's pretty much what I use for time between pitches (baseball) and time between a foul and the foul shots (basketball) as well.

BTW, you are doing IR - IR - 30SS, not the other way around, right? That way, you don't accidentally see into the future.

Drew
Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 PM   #539
ashu
User title defunct

I shut my eyes, or look the other way - and then I do 30SS - IR - IR. I take my chances. And if an ad break has occured, I kinda notice and don't bother with the IR.

It's tennis, after all - not much happens from one point to the next

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 09-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #540
steeagle

How to stop 24/7 recording?

Hi, I am new to here. I read previous postings and notice that Toshiba Tivo keeps recording even in standby mode. I check play list and there are tons of shows which I am not interested in. Also it will fill up the hard drive very soon. I am wondering if there is a way I can record the only shows I am interested in. So I don't need to go to play list every day to delete those recored shows and make room to record others. Could someone help me? Thanks.

Steeagle
steeagle is offline   Reply With Quote