Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-09-2005, 02:23 PM   #121
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramerboy
Excellent. So, this is a more updated logo set than the logo-67.slice that is out there? If so, that is great news. I've been looking for an updated logo set for a while.
Yes, it's got 50 more than logo-67.slice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rbautch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:35 PM   #122
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbautch
I'm helping out on the future Tivowebplus 1.2.1 release also, which will finally integrate a few of the most useful modules.

do you mean version 1.2 that was posted by "davidlallen"? will you incorporate this new version into your enhanced script? thanks
PS-great script once again, also to your hard work as well
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use

Last edited by bnm81002 : 08-09-2005 at 11:42 PM.
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:03 AM   #123
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
do you mean version 1.2 that was posted by "davidlallen"? will you incorporate this new version into your enhanced script? thanks
PS-great script once again, also to your hard work as well
David and I started with the TWP version in my script, we stripped out all the add-on modules, made a few tweaks for 7.1, and that became version 1.2. We are now going to add back in a few of the most useful modules (Hackman, Backup, and Channelprefs), which will be released as version 1.2.1 soon. The TWP version in my script will always be the most current release, but with a few of my favorite extra modules added.

or

Old 08-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #124
Philly Bill
Everyday is Saturday

Quote:
The TWP version in my script will always be the most current release, but with a few of my favorite extra modules added.
rbautch rocks. I can't wait to try this. lol.
Philly Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #125
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

Quote:
The TWP version in my script will always be the most current release, but with a few of my favorite extra modules added.
Excuse my ignorance, but if I re-run your script to get the new version of TWP (plus other tweaks you've mad recently) will the fact that TWP already exists cause any grief? Or do I need to run your uninstall script (from previous install) and then run the new version?
Old 08-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #126
rbautch
User

Either run the uninstall script, or manually remove the existing TWP installation and manually add the new one that's inside rbautch-files.tgz.

or

Old 08-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #127
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
Connect to DVR Service is Tivo. Not sure how to force a call to DirecTV other than ordering a PPV.
OK, I've had it running a few nights now with the phone line attached.
The system updates the call attempts but they all fail while negotiating.

Quote:
- Run fakecall every night at 3am.
- Reboot your Tivo once/week at 3am. This cleans things out for better performance if you have several hacks running. Also restarts logs, and allows fakecall to reset the last successful call indicator, so your Tivo won't call home (fakecall doesn't update mfs entries without a reboot). This allows you to keep your phone line connected for PPV ordering or CallerID.
So maybe I haven't hit that special night of the week to reboot.
I will try it manually and see if that updates the Connect Attempt...

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
HR21-700 - PRAYING for a D*TiVo Exchange program in '09
HR21-100 - PRAYING for a D*TiVo Exchange program in '09

Last edited by beejpowers : 08-11-2005 at 06:19 PM.
beejpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #128
fredfillis
Linuxly Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej
So maybe I haven't hit that special night of the week to reboot.
I will try it manually and see if that updates the Connect Attempt...
The "special night" is Monday at 3am.

Interestingly, on my DSR7000, any "soft" reboot either from this script (crond), from bash or from TWP generally results in getting stuck at the "welcome" screen. I have to remove / replace the power cord to get the unit to start correctly.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #129
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfillis
The "special night" is Monday at 3am.

Interestingly, on my DSR7000, any "soft" reboot either from this script (crond), from bash or from TWP generally results in getting stuck at the "welcome" screen. I have to remove / replace the power cord to get the unit to start correctly.
OK. I finally did a "soft" reboot from D*Central and got no changes. It booted fine but I still have in my Sys Info screen:
"Lat Successful Call: June 12...
Next Scheduled: today's date
Is something wrong?
Should I reinstall?
Should I wait until 3AM tonight or is that truly Monday @ 3am not Monday night/Tuesday morning?

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #130
rbautch
User

Probably something in cron not working right. First try to run fakecall.tcl manually from /busybox, and then reboot. Next, check out the logs in /var/spool/cron/cronlogs The scheduled reboot is actually Sunday night/Monday morning at 3am.

or

Old 08-16-2005, 12:45 PM   #131
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
Probably something in cron not working right. First try to run fakecall.tcl manually from /busybox, and then reboot. Next, check out the logs in /var/spool/cron/cronlogs The scheduled reboot is actually Sunday night/Monday morning at 3am.

Will try tonight...
Anything in particular I should be looking for in cronlogs?

On a similar note/previously mentioned note:
I installed the tweak script to my DVR80 last night, to see if things would act differently there. I ran the tweak.sh, rebooted, went to bed.
When I got up, the Tivo was hanging but not at welcome; it was at acquiring satellite data..........9%
I just thought that it was wierd that it made it through the boot and then hung when it was handing data. I pulled the cord and started over, worked fine when I left.

HR10-250
SD-DVR80
Old 08-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #132
rbautch
User

In the cronlogs, first check out the file called cron.test.out. The file should contain several lines that are created every 5 minutes (and subsequently get deleted every hour). This verifies that crond is reading your crontab properly. Next, open CRONLOG-MAIN and see if there are entries for the various tasks cron is supposed to do, like restarting TWP, rebooting, etc. I've attached my logs, so you can see what they should look like.

I'm unsure what could have cause your hang on acquiring data. Perhaps one of your partitions is getting full. At the bash prompt, type "df" to see how much space is left on each partition (hda9 is /var in case you didn't know). I noticed my root partition is filling up, so I may start storing things in /var instead. By the way, when /var gets too full, Tivo just wipes it clean. That's one of the reasons I initially created this script - to restore things very quickly if /var gets hammered.
Attached Files
File Type: zip cronlogs.zip (1.6 KB, 18 views)

or

Old 08-17-2005, 11:41 PM   #133
beejpowers
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Quote:
In the cronlogs, first check out the file called cron.test.out. The file should contain several lines that are created every 5 minutes (and subsequently get deleted every hour). This verifies that crond is reading your crontab properly. Next, open CRONLOG-MAIN and see if there are entries for the various tasks cron is supposed to do, like restarting TWP, rebooting, etc. I've attached my logs, so you can see what they should look like.

I'm unsure what could have cause your hang on acquiring data. Perhaps one of your partitions is getting full. At the bash prompt, type "df" to see how much space is left on each partition (hda9 is /var in case you didn't know). I noticed my root partition is filling up, so I may start storing things in /var instead. By the way, when /var gets too full, Tivo just wipes it clean. That's one of the reasons I initially created this script - to restore things very quickly if /var gets hammered.
First things first...
I get this when I run fakecall

Code:
bash-2.02# fakecall.tcl
Error: FakeCall for Version 6.2-01-2-151 is not supported.
bash-2.02#
But my logs look identical to yours.
cron.test.out runs every 5 minutes
cornlog-main says start TWP started, stopped, fakecall made.

this is my HDVR2. does anyone have this script working on their HDVR2? Did I screw it up somehow? I touched nothing! I swear...

by the by...
this is what I get on my SDDVR80
Code:
bash-2.02# /busybox/fakecall.tcl
Error: FakeCall for Version 6.2-01-2-351 is not supported.
bash-2.02#
UPDATE!!!
Per the other forums uber AlphaWolf... I changed line 78 to read differently. I don't have his permission to post his code change so I don't want to step on any toes. But go there, search fakecall 6.2 and read the first post. it says specifically what the code does read, what it should read and what line it is on...
Anyways. I did that, reinserted it, dos2unixed it (just in case) and voila, it said it ran. We'll see

HR10-250
SD-DVR80

Last edited by beejpowers : 08-18-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:40 PM   #134
rbautch
User

Quote:
UPDATE!!!
Per the other forums uber AlphaWolf... I changed line 78 to read differently.
Shame on Gunnyman for not including this in his instructions. I'm surprized anyone even got their Tivo working without successfully running fakecall, unless the superpatch takes care of it. Beej, make sure you reboot before you check the "last successful call" status.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 08-18-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:54 PM   #135
BTUx9
back?

Quote:
Shame on Gunnyman for not including this in his instructions. I'm surprized anyone even got their Tivo working without successfully running fakecall. Beej, make sure you reboot before you check the "last successful call" status.
I hope that comment is facetious... His guide is for directivos and superpatch stops the nag messages, so fakecall is NOT needed (unless you intend to connect the phone line, in which case, you're on your own... why complicate things unnecessarily for the majority)
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #136
kramerboy
Jelly Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTUx9
I hope that comment is facetious... His guide is for directivos and superpatch stops the nag messages, so fakecall is NOT needed (unless you intend to connect the phone line, in which case, you're on your own... why complicate things unnecessarily for the majority)
Also, the tivotools.tar that is available at the "other" place includes an updated (as of 08/04/2005) fakecall.tcl that works with both 6.2 and 7.1. So, anyone following the guide should be using an updated fakecall.
kramerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:44 PM   #137
lancer123

I tried to download the script via the link but it appears down. Is there something wrong with the link?
lancer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #138
rbautch
User

Quote:
Of course it was. Nags are only part of the equation, although certainly the most important. The other is resetting the "Last Successful" Service Connection in MFS, which only happens when you run fakecall and reboot regularly. Resetting last successful service connection is necessary if you ever plan to use a caller ID hack. It's true most people will never use caller ID, but perhaps more will when/if I encorporate it into my script. For the few who do decide to use caller ID thinking they're tivos are safe, the absence of a valid fakecall file could be disastrous.

or

Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 PM   #139
rbautch
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer123
I tried to download the script via the link but it appears down. Is there something wrong with the link?
My web host appears to be having some trouble. Here's the message I get:
Quote:
Engineers are working very hard to restore your site. Thank you for your patience.
I'm sure they got their best people on it.

or

Old 08-18-2005, 08:01 PM   #140
BTUx9
back?

Because making fakecall effective requires regular reboots, have you looked into the option of changing the phone# instead (to an invalid #)? That seems a safer alternative, since it doesn't rely on a program being run consistently (and you don't have the issue of reboots possibly interrupting recordings).
BTUx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:48 PM   #141
rbautch
User

Quote:
Because making fakecall effective requires regular reboots, have you looked into the option of changing the phone# instead (to an invalid #)? That seems a safer alternative, since it doesn't rely on a program being run consistently (and you don't have the issue of reboots possibly interrupting recordings).
That's a good idea, and should work to prevent a disastrous call home. However, the Tivo will still pick up the phone and attempt to call during random times during the day, which would be annoying if you happen to be on the phone talking to Ed McMahon making arrangements to receive your $1 million grand prize. The chances of this happening to me are far greater than one of my recordings being interrupted at 3am on Sunday when my Tivo does it's regular reboot.

or

Last edited by rbautch : 08-18-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #142
jjz

One option is to run phonereset- it prevents a successful call out. You can edit that script to prevent the tivo from "trying" to dial while you are on the phone as well. The perfect solution would be a version of fakecall which did not require a reboot.
jjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:06 PM   #143
bnm81002

Quote:
My web host appears to be having some trouble. Here's the message I get: I'm sure they got their best people on it.

I checked the site and it's working fine for me
nice job once again rbautch
PS-do you include the scripts from over there at DDB? I hope that you do, then it's easier to include the hacks from one place/source than from several places
Pioneer DVR810H-not in use

Last edited by bnm81002 : 08-19-2005 at 02:58 PM.
bnm81002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #144
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Of course it was. Nags are only part of the equation, although certainly the most important. The other is resetting the "Last Successful" Service Connection in MFS, which only happens when you run fakecall and reboot regularly. Resetting last successful service connection is necessary if you ever plan to use a caller ID hack. It's true most people will never use caller ID, but perhaps more will when/if I encorporate it into my script. For the few who do decide to use caller ID thinking they're tivos are safe, the absence of a valid fakecall file could be disastrous.

I Thought about putting fakecall in there actually.
But once I do that, someone will complain that I don't explain how to get tserver,vserver et all working as well.

If my guide had started with IMAGING a new HD with 6.2 then hacking it, then yeah I would have done it because you can't get thru guided setup without a landline unless you have fakecall.
Once average joe user is to the point with wanting to get elseed working, I would hope they would put two and two together and realize they need SOME kind of mechanism to prevent their unit from dialing out.
Hey at LEAST I put the route stuff in.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:34 AM   #145
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Hey Rbautch,
can you add some lines to check for /tivo-bin as well as /busybox?
some instructions out there have people put AW's tools in /tivo-bin while others use /busybox.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 AM   #146
rbautch
User

Sure, I'll look into including that in the next version sometime this week. I don't think it's as trivial as is sounds though. I'll have to edit the crontab on the fly to point to the correct location depending on where crond is found. I suppose I could just move crond from /tivo-bin to /busybox if it's found there. Crond is a big file, so regardless, this will save space if nothing else.

I was interested to learn that fakecall is only required for the initial setup if you start with a 6.2 image rather than a download. Since I hacked all my tivos with images, I was confused here how people could get through the initial setup without fakecall. I'm assuming that the superpatch has nothing to do with getting through the initial setup.

or

Old 08-21-2005, 10:18 AM   #147
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

right.
Fakecall's purpose now is to get thru guided setup, and prevent call outs so people can keep a phone line hooked up for ELSEED or PPV ordering.
As a test, I have one of my units set up, with no phone line, and has only run fake call once (wehnm I set it up). Months later, still no nags.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:40 PM   #148
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

All my tivo's are hacked now. The one thing missing is caller id. I want to hook up the phone line and add caller id. However I don't want tivo calling mother ship. Do I change the phone number setup, to tell my tivo to dial the area code so that the call won't go thru? Or run the updated fake call file? Would I need to run fake call just once?

Just a tad confused on the proper way to go

Thanks
Rick
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:48 PM   #149
rbautch
User

If you use the enhancement script, fackecall will be run every night and your tivo will be rebooted once per week. This will continually reset the "last successful" service connection, ensuring that your tivo will never see the need to call in. Before you hook up your phone line, confirm fackecall.tcl works by running it with "tivosh fakecall.tcl". If it doesn't, replace it with the version that's modified for 6.2. In the system information screen on your tivo, keep an eye on the Last Successful Service Connection to make sure the date is updated every Sunday night at 3:20am.

or

Old 08-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #150
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

The enhancement script should have put the updated fakecall.tcl file in ? I thought that I had that installed properly. However when I telneted over and ran fakecall.tcl I get error message that fakecall.tcl is not supported in 6.2. I could just copy over the new fakecall.tcl and run it once, but if I don't have the enhancement script running right it will not run every sunday night. Running fakecall.tcl once would work unless I lost power then I would need to rerun it or my tivo's or my tivo's would call the mother ship ?

Wait the enhancement script must be right, as I have the new splash screen and cert's are removed. So what setup is not right as I have the old fakecall.tcl?

Thanks
Rick
mgmrick is offline   Reply With Quote