140 hrs is what you get with 160 gigs.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:21 AM   #182
dmbong
TiVo while Racing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman
yes Brian
140 hrs is what you get with 160 gigs.
Cool, thanks for answering. So, is it using the whole disk or is it only using 127GB (or whatever it is)?

Thanks,

-Brian
HDVR2 - 160GB/140hrs

Last edited by dmbong : 08-19-2005 at 10:06 PM. Reason: changespace mentioned
dmbong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 01:17 AM   #183
gdavisloop1

Warning on tpip for swap > 128MB

If you plan to use tpip to initialze a swap space larger than 128MB for a Series 2 TiVo, it probably won't work correctly unless you include this option:

--swapped

See my thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=251430
or read this one:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=251011

for more details.

And to keep your programs when you upgrade from an upgrade, the easiest way (perhaps the only way).... just keep your old drive handy for when you want your old programs!

--Gary
gdavisloop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:29 PM   #184
supercell

Cool R10 & New 400 GB Drive

Hi I tried to add a second B 400GB drive to my DirectTivo R10 last night using the the Upgrade CD with LBA48 support. It did't work. All the mfstools seemed to respond correctly telling me I had over 500 hours but when I installed the drives back in the tivo it would get past powering up. I finally had to restore the backup to the A drive just to get it working. I am quite sure I had the jumpers correctly Master (A)/Slave(B)

So my question is will a 400GB drive work as a B drive in an R10? How do I know if my kernel in my R10 will support a large drive pver 137GB? Can someone type out the mfsadd command I need to use to bless the new B drive? I don't know about this swap space thing. Thanks for any help.

Mike
supercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #185
Blurayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercell
Hi I tried to add a second B 400GB drive to my DirectTivo R10 last night using the the Upgrade CD with LBA48 support. It did't work. All the mfstools seemed to respond correctly telling me I had over 500 hours but when I installed the drives back in the tivo it would get past powering up. I finally had to restore the backup to the A drive just to get it working. I am quite sure I had the jumpers correctly Master (A)/Slave(B)

So my question is will a 400GB drive work as a B drive in an R10? How do I know if my kernel in my R10 will support a large drive pver 137GB? Can someone type out the mfsadd command I need to use to bless the new B drive? I don't know about this swap space thing. Thanks for any help.

Mike
The R10 kernel does support drives larger than 137 out of the box. I have a 300GB single drive running flawlessly for over a week.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #186
Blurayfan

Quote:

Mike
You could try using this program it seems to be able to override the size error your getting. TiVoMad v3.2

1. Run this command from the floppy you downloaded to setup your 400GB B Drive (BlessTiVo /dev/hdX).
2. Put the drive back in your TiVo, now your DVR should accept this disk and update your available hours.
Blurayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:17 PM   #187
supercell

Quote:

Mike

I found the problem. I downloaded the weaknees ISO and the mfsadd needed the -r 4 for large drive 300GB+

The command is:

mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdX /dev/hdZ

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

Is awesome.

I now have 421 hours

Mike
supercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #188
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I found the problem. I downloaded the weaknees ISO and the mfsadd needed the -r 4 for large drive 300GB+

The command is:

mfsadd -r 4 -x /dev/hdX /dev/hdZ

http://tivo.upgrade-instructions.com

Is awesome.

I now have 421 hours

Mike
mike -

the mfsadd command you've documented works fine on the PTVupgrade CD, as well and you should no problem using the CD in conjunction with either of our compitors' how-to guides.

alternatively, using the BlessTiVo command on the "add-on" drive is always a safer alternative than mfsadd in situations like these, better to leave your primary drive untouched, and simply prepare your secondary drive the old-school way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 PM   #189
JamieP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
alternatively, using the BlessTiVo command on the "add-on" drive is always a safer alternative than mfsadd in situations like these, better to leave your primary drive untouched, and simply prepare your secondary drive the old-school way.
People have had problems with BlessTivo too on large drives, so I'm not sure I'd agree with the characterization that it is always safer. It does not leave your primary drive untouched: as soon as you boot your tivo with the new "blessed" drive, they are married, and if something went wrong, it's hard to undo. That may mean you may have to start over with a clean image and lose recordings.

See these threads http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=2862470, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=239132 for some examples of people who had trouble with BlessTivo but succeeded with mfsadd -r 4.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #190
BBURNES

HR10-250 PTVNet

I'm interested in upgrading my hi def DirecTivo, the HR110-250, using PTVnet. But rather than replacing my current HD (its only 4months old) I'd rather have an add-on kit. This will make allow not only networking, but also have a dual drive with lots of hard drive space.

Is there any way to do this? I don't see this option.
Pioneer PDP-5010
Pioneer 503-CMX
PS3
Pioneer Elite DVR-810H
Pioneer DV434, Elite PRD W37
Panasonic DMR-ES25S
BBURNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #191
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieP
People have had problems with BlessTivo too on large drives, so I'm not sure I'd agree with the characterization that it is always safer. It does not leave your primary drive untouched: as soon as you boot your tivo with the new "blessed" drive, they are married, and if something went wrong, it's hard to undo. That may mean you may have to start over with a clean image and lose recordings.

See these threads http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb....php?p=2862470, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=239132 for some examples of people who had trouble with BlessTivo but succeeded with mfsadd -r 4.
Agreed. I should have qualified that a bit more... I've not had any problems using BlessTiVo when adding drives. And if one is adding a drive, one should always have a backup; typically I recommend replacing which essentially forces one to keep the original in case of problems down the road.

thx

Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #192
max0

Big Grin Can I use a 160 GB drive in a Tivo 2 without LBA 48?

In the old days, I could just use the old MFStools, and it would recognize the 160G drives as 137s, and no problem. (I'm trying to upgrade a TIVO II that doesn't have the LBA 48 support) Can I still do that with the new CD?
max0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #193
azitnay

If you really only want to use the first 137GB, just use Tyger's original CD... I don't think there's a way to only expand partially, and that's what you'd need to accomplish what you want on an LBA48-compatible CD such as PTVupgrade's.

However, all Series2's have LBA48 support once they've been upgraded to software version 5.x or higher. You can put your TSN on the priority list at http://research.tivo.com/tivotogo/, and it should get software version 7.1 within a few days (unless it's a DVD burner unit, but I think most of them came with 5.x anyway).

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #194
dmbong
TiVo while Racing...

azitnay, would that include HDVR2's? I've seen it said here that it's a Series2 and other times that it's not. Pretty sure mine has 7.1.x on it already.

-Brian
HDVR2 - 160GB/140hrs
Old 08-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #195
azitnay

I don't know much about DirecTV units... You most likely have software version 6.x. I don't know the LBA48 status of that software version.

Drew
Old 08-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #196
dmbong
TiVo while Racing...

Ah. Ok. You may be right. I'll check the version again when I get home.

Thanks,

-Brian
HDVR2 - 160GB/140hrs
Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #197
winders

dmbong,

If you have an HDVR2 with the latest software, it has version 6.2 which has an LBA48 kernel.

Scott
winders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 PM   #198
SrLANGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBURNES
I'm interested in upgrading my hi def DirecTivo, the HR110-250, using PTVnet. But rather than replacing my current HD (its only 4months old) I'd rather have an add-on kit. This will make allow not only networking, but also have a dual drive with lots of hard drive space.

Is there any way to do this? I don't see this option.
You should be able to:

1) Remove your original hard drive and replace it with the PTVnet hard drive.
2) Add your original hard drive as a second hard drive to give you more space.
SrLANGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #199
BBURNES

SrLANGuy,

Thanks. Since I'm not a tech guy, another question: would I have to wipe out my original HD to make sure that I don't have 2 sets of Tivo software (one on new drive, one on old) ??
Pioneer PDP-5010
Pioneer 503-CMX
PS3
Pioneer Elite DVR-810H
Pioneer DV434, Elite PRD W37
Panasonic DMR-ES25S
BBURNES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #200
azitnay

The mfsadd command you use to add the original drive back will take care of wiping it clean.

Drew
Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #201
quiddich
Three TiVos so far!

Slow dd_rescue on PTVupgrade 4.01?

I tried to use the copy of dd_rescue on PTVupgrade 4.01 to copy my crashed harddisk, but it was very slow (2mb/second), and I noticed it was old compared to the current version (and didn't have the same options as those I'd found in the forums).

I wound up booting a RIP image, which had a dd_rescue which matched current hints -- it also copied at 28mb/second, which was much better!

I don't know if the difference in speed is due to my specifying the right options or if DMA was involved, too (I hit "enter" to boot each of the images, not taking any options), but if you rebuild the PTVupgrade image, could you update dd_rescue?

And THANKS for making the image available in the first place and for answering questions here -- I was able to salvage my HDTiVo and save all the programs, which made my family very happy!

Happy owner of a HDVR2 with weaknees 105-hour 2nd disk and TwinBreeze Complete

My HDTiVo died after 14 months (but a new disk fixed it, except for the HDMI...)
quiddich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:55 AM   #202
Callindril

LBA48 and PTV Update Disk

Howdy,

Got a Phillips 704 recently, and wanted to upgrade it to use a 200g drive...

It has 6.2 on the original disk, so I made a MFSBackup of it, restored it to the 200g disk, and put the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel from the s2_kernel/3.1.5 directory from the PTVUpgrade CD (The one you buy for $5) in both the kernel partitions.

Now my question: is this 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel an LBA kernel? Can I just boot again with the PTVUpgrade disk (which boots with an LBA kernel) and do a regular MFS Expand and safely take full advanatge of the 200g drive ?

Thanks
Cal
Callindril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #203
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callindril
Howdy,

Got a Phillips 704 recently, and wanted to upgrade it to use a 200g drive...

It has 6.2 on the original disk, so I made a MFSBackup of it, restored it to the 200g disk, and put the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel from the s2_kernel/3.1.5 directory from the PTVUpgrade CD (The one you buy for $5) in both the kernel partitions.

Now my question: is this 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel an LBA kernel? Can I just boot again with the PTVUpgrade disk (which boots with an LBA kernel) and do a regular MFS Expand and safely take full advanatge of the 200g drive ?

Thanks
Cal
You don't need to install a new kernel on your upgraded disk; the kernel that is part of the 6.2 release of the software is already LBA48-aware.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #204
Callindril

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade
You don't need to install a new kernel on your upgraded disk; the kernel that is part of the 6.2 release of the software is already LBA48-aware.

That would be true, if all I wanted to do was upgrade the HD size...

But I also want to put on Telnet, FTP, TIVOWebPlus, TYTools...and so on....

So the question still remains...

Is the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel on the PTVUpgrade CD (The one you buy for $5) an LBA kernel?
Callindril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #205
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callindril
That would be true, if all I wanted to do was upgrade the HD size...

But I also want to put on Telnet, FTP, TIVOWebPlus, TYTools...and so on....

So the question still remains...

Is the 3.1.5 killhdinitrd kernel on the PTVUpgrade CD (The one you buy for $5) an LBA kernel?
yes, the modified kernel on that CD contains LBA48 support

Old 09-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #206
ETD66SS

Just bought 2 160GB drives to upgrade my HDR110.

I've never upgraded a Tivo b4, and don't have much XP with Linux.

Will the ptvlba48-4.01 ISO I downloaded from this site give me everything I'll need?

I also bought a cachecard, do I wait to do that after I have the 2 new drives working?
ETD66SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #207
Christovich

Has anyone experienced any issues with rerunning Guided Setup after upgrading to 2 drives? Mine is rebooting everytime it gets to the dial portion of a call, be it network or phone. (I have adjusted the phone settings for either case).

I have a series 2 T140060.

Thank you for your help.
Christovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #208
Mr. Funny Pants

Sorry for the carry over from my other thread ("Probably...") but I thought these details made more sense in this thread.

SAT-60, two 120GB drives. One was going bad, so I wanted to replace it with a 200GB drive and preserve my recordings. Used DD (which took almost 10 hours), then used Copykern and married the drives. The unit operates perfectly, but refuses to see the extra space, even up to 137GB; it's still reporting the original 214 hours of capacity that it had when it was two 120's. I've tried reversing the order of marrying and using Copykern, and just using Copykern, still no dice, but the unit continues to function fine and all 160+ hours of recordings were preserved.

When I do the Copykern, here is the output:

/cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.1/vmlinux-3.1.px.gz: no such file or directory
Writing 1065472 bytes to '/mnt/kernel.orig'
tpip: unknown boot block signature: ox132027f0
Kernel updated

Any ideas?
Mr. Funny Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:00 AM   #209
binki

Ack! upgrade failing...

I am trying to upgrade my HDR112 and having trouble. Here's the situation: it was upgraded a few years ago with two 100GB drives. Lately I've had stutters and freezes and figured a drive must be failing. So I got two 120GB drives, cleared off the extraneous files from the limping TiVo, borrowed a PC (all my computers are Macs), made a boot floppy, and hooked everything up and ran the line of code from section 10C of the lovely instructions online. It all seemed to be running just fine but after about 4 hours of copying I got an error--my beloved spouse saw it and didn't write down the exact wording--but it seems it timed out due to errors on the hdd drive, the old B drive from the TiVo.

Complications include: there is no hard drive or CD drive on this borrowed PC. I didn't do a backup because of this, and I'm not sure it would have worked anyway with this wonky "d" drive.

Is there anything I can do? Are there tools I can put on a floppy to fix the old drive enough to copy it to the new one, or can I just maybe bless it or something and sacrifice the recordings that were on the old B drive? Or can I at least try again but only copy the B drive, to try to save a few hours of the process?

Should I just run it again? Any chance it'd be able to jump over those bad sectors if I just kept trying?

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated. Live TV is so lame....
binki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:17 AM   #210
azitnay

Are you trying to copy all recordings, etc.? If so, since that's not working, try copying only the OS and settings instead.

If you can't even get a valid image off the old drives that way, it's time to look for an image for your unit. Try PM'ing StanSimmons, or purchase InstantCake from http://www.ptvupgrade.com/.

Drew