TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2005, 06:59 PM   #481
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongat
I am stating a difference between what the manual says about standby mode and what the machine actually does. As long as everybody is experiencing the same thing on there machines, I feel better that I didn't get a broken machine. This could be a documentation error or an implementation they forgot about. Obviously I have no choice but to let the continual recording occur.
I have three TiVo units that are operational with a total combined operational time of 6 or 7 years. I have never put one in standby, even to see what happens. I have never had a hard drive failure in a TiVo.

I also have several computer systems running 24 hours a day. Each has 2 hard drives, all spinning constantly (no green modes here). I always have at least three systems running and have for the last 10-15 years. I lost track of how many have died over those years, it is somewhere around 2. I have a shelf full of operational but obsolete drives.

I had a defective batch of 16GB Western Digital drives die at work a few years ago when 16GB was hot stuff. Of 8 drives purchased, 4 failed in the first year. Of the remaining 4, 3 are still in use, one was never taken out of the box.

Quote:
I like everything about this machine except this 'feature'. I don't need a rolling buffer in the middle of the night, and I want my machine to last. This results in the hard drive working much more than it should.
Other than consuming 8 watts (2 watts idle) in a device that draws 40-50 watts, there is no harm in letting the hard drive run over night.

Quote:
I would also feel better if I knew that this hard drive is easily replaceable like other tivo machines. I'm not paranoid enough yet to take out the hard drive and image it. BTW, my RF pass thru works without putting the machine in standby.
You can purchase a replacement hard drive from different vendors. They come preinstalled with TiVo software for your model of TiVo and take about 30 minutes to install.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:48 PM   #482
Petua

Newbie questions

I bought an RS-TX20 a couple of weeks ago. For the most part, I like it, but I have a few questions. Please forgive me if these have already been answered. I've skimmed through this forum but I may have missed an answer somewhere.

1) After setting the default recording mode to High Quality, I find that whenever I attempt to record a show which is currently airing, it defaults to Best Quality mode and I don't see any way to change it. Oddly, if I pick something from the Guide which hasn't started yet, it will use the quality that I've preset. Is there anyway to make it use my preset quality all the time?

2) Another quality question. Let's say I've recorded a 90 minute program in Best Quality and I later wish to burn it to a DVD, which will only hold 1 hour of Best Quality video. Can I have it burn at a lower quality? (I could probably answer this myself if I take time to try it.)

3) When viewing a long (3 hour) program tonight, I had to interrupt my viewing and come back to it later. Usually it will pick up where I left off, but in that case it started at the beginning for some reason. It took what seemed like a long time to fast forward (using the fastest speed) to the middle of the 3 hour show. Is there a quicker way to get there?

4) Every time I try to connect via the phone line, I get as far as "downloading" and it seems to work for a good 10-20 minutes. However, every single time it fails due to the call allegedly being interrupted, even when all of the phones in our house are disconnected. I do seem to be getting updated program information, but what might I be missing out on by the call never completing?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my questions.
Petua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:25 AM   #483
Runch Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petua
I bought an RS-TX20 a couple of weeks ago. For the most part, I like it, but I have a few questions. Please forgive me if these have already been answered. I've skimmed through this forum but I may have missed an answer somewhere.

1) After setting the default recording mode to High Quality, I find that whenever I attempt to record a show which is currently airing, it defaults to Best Quality mode and I don't see any way to change it. Oddly, if I pick something from the Guide which hasn't started yet, it will use the quality that I've preset. Is there anyway to make it use my preset quality all the time?

2) Another quality question. Let's say I've recorded a 90 minute program in Best Quality and I later wish to burn it to a DVD, which will only hold 1 hour of Best Quality video. Can I have it burn at a lower quality? (I could probably answer this myself if I take time to try it.)

3) When viewing a long (3 hour) program tonight, I had to interrupt my viewing and come back to it later. Usually it will pick up where I left off, but in that case it started at the beginning for some reason. It took what seemed like a long time to fast forward (using the fastest speed) to the middle of the 3 hour show. Is there a quicker way to get there?

4) Every time I try to connect via the phone line, I get as far as "downloading" and it seems to work for a good 10-20 minutes. However, every single time it fails due to the call allegedly being interrupted, even when all of the phones in our house are disconnected. I do seem to be getting updated program information, but what might I be missing out on by the call never completing?

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my questions.
As I believe it says in the manual, the 30 minute buffer is always recorded at Best Quality. There is no way to change this. Therefore, when you decide to record live TV, it will always be at Best QualityWhen you schedule a program from the program guide, it will record at the pre-set quality setting.

I noticed that on some DVDs when you go back to watch them later, some will start where you left off and others start at the beginning. I don't know if this is related to the specific DVD or not.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:47 AM   #484
lordrichter

Quote:
No. TiVo cannot change the recording quality on the fly.

Quote:
You can use the skip button (looks like an arrow pointing to a bar) in to the right and below the pause button to jump to the next mark along the green play line.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:02 PM   #485
jeff281

HD expansion?

I have had my toshiba for about 6 months now and love it

but....

Can I buy an external hard drive and plug it into the USB for additional storage. I was thinking about a 200-300gb hard drive but do not want to buy it if I cannot use it.

Thanks
jeff281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 02:09 PM   #486
azitnay

You cannot simply buy an external hard drive and use it, but it isn't too hard to upgrade the internal hard drive yourself. See the TiVo Upgrade Center for details.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #487
lordrichter

The way it looks, because of the DVD drive, you can only REPLACE the existing hard drive with another (larger) one. You cannot ADD a hard drive on the TX models like you can on some of the other ones.

That means lost programs, seasons passes, and you have to redo guided setup after the upgrade, unless you do it yourself and copy everything over.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #488
azitnay

I don't think the DVD drive itself is the reason; I'm pretty sure it's on a separate IDE channel from the hard drive. I believe the reason WeaKnees doesn't sell add kits for the RS-TX models is that there's no clear, easy way to mount two hard drives inside the case.

That being said, it's not that hard to perform the replace operation yourself, thus allowing the option of keeping your recordings.

Drew
Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #489
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
That means lost programs, seasons passes, and you have to redo guided setup after the upgrade, unless you do it yourself and copy everything over.
Not true ... as azitnay mentioned, you would just backup the existing drive from your TX20, then restore and expand the image onto a larger hard drive, thus preserving all of your recordings and settings.

This does mean you need enough drive space to hold an image as large as your drive (120gb) and a file system that supports files that large.

So it's slightly complicated, but doable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #490
azitnay

I don't think you need enough hard drive space to hold a 120GB image... You can just do a mfsbackup | mfsrestore, right?

Drew
Old 08-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #491
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I don't think the DVD drive itself is the reason; I'm pretty sure it's on a separate IDE channel from the hard drive. I believe the reason WeaKnees doesn't sell add kits for the RS-TX models is that there's no clear, easy way to mount two hard drives inside the case.

That being said, it's not that hard to perform the replace operation yourself, thus allowing the option of keeping your recordings.

Drew
I have not opened my TX-20, but I have opened an original Series 2 box. I think that the DVD player in the TX models takes one of the two places inside the unit that they like to mount the hard drives. Hopefully the DVD player is not on the same IDE channel, but I'm not certain that it would matter if it was.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:15 AM   #492
lordrichter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer
Not true ... as azitnay mentioned, you would just backup the existing drive from your TX20, then restore and expand the image onto a larger hard drive, thus preserving all of your recordings and settings.
Thus the "do it yourself" part...

Meaning, you can't just have Weaknees send you a replacement drive and install it, if you want to keep your pre-existing recordings and season passes.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #493
Bimwad

Quote:
All Standby does is enable the RF pass-thru so you can watch one show while the TiVo records another (without using an RF splitter, which is the easier solution IMHO).
RF pass-thru is active all the time. When I want to watch another program while TiVo is recording, all I do is switch my TV's input from external video to the TV's tuner, which is fed by the RF output. No need for a splitter.

Since it's not like an old VCR which used Ch 3 or 4 for output in the days before video inputs were common on TVs, there's little reason for the RF pass-thru to do anything but what it does, all the time.
Bimwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 AM   #494
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay
I don't think you need enough hard drive space to hold a 120GB image... You can just do a mfsbackup | mfsrestore, right?
Yeah, that would be the smart way. Assuming you have the ability to hook up both drives at the same time. I have an external drive tray/bay that I use so I don't have to constantly be opening my PC to hook up the drives. The downside to that is having to do two step upgrades (backup drive 1 to file, restore file to drive 2) instead of using the pipe method.

|
Old 08-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #495
ashu
User title defunct

FYI, a one-step (piped mfs commands) backup, with shows et al (60GB worth) from my Humax DRT800 drive to a new 300GB took just around 10 hours. And the command was precisely the same as the one for regular Series 2 units. Should be the same procedure for the Toshibas.

(Too many TiVos!)

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:47 PM   #496
slyone

Quote:
Standby mode <> Off

Even in Standby, the HD is still recording the rolling 30-minute Live TV buffer. All Standby does is enable the RF pass-thru so you can watch one show while the TiVo records another (without using an RF splitter, which is the easier solution IMHO).
Hi windracer, I thought you could/or I have recorded a show while watching another? I cannot do that..? My wife was upset that I had setup to record some shows and when it starts(records) it inadvertantly changes to that channel, I had changed the channel w/another remote and recorded the new station! I just tried recording and then changing channel and Tivo says if I change channel-I lose recording?TIA I think I got, if I setup recording, I have to change channels using my other remote (non-Tivo).

Last edited by slyone : 08-16-2005 at 09:03 PM. Reason: adding info
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:18 PM   #497
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyone
Hi windracer, I thought you could/or I have recorded a show while watching another? I cannot do that..? My wife was upset that I had setup to record some shows and when it starts(records) it inadvertantly changes to that channel, I had changed the channel w/another remote and recorded the new station! I just tried recording and then changing channel and Tivo says if I change channel-I lose recording?TIA
Right, the TX20 (and most Series2 boxes) only have one tuner. So if the TiVo is recording a show, and you try to change the channel, it will first warn you that a recording is in progress. If you choose to go ahead and change the channel, the recording-in-progress will stop.

If you want to watch another Live TV show, while the TiVo is recording, you either need to put the unit in Standby and have the RF pass-thru connected to another input on your TV, or use an RF-splitter to split your cable line before your DVR and connect one split to the TX20 and the other to your TV (this assumes you have analog cable without a cable box).

Now, you can watch a previously recorded show from your Now Playing List while the TiVo is recording another show on Live TV.

|
Old 08-16-2005, 09:07 PM   #498
slyone

I think I may have it. If I am recording a show, I must use my other remote (supplied by cable co.) to change the channel..?
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #499
azitnay

Is your TiVo set up to control your cable box? If so, you should -never- use its remote to change the channel while the Tivo is recording something, or the TiVo will continue merrily on, recording the new channel you switched the cable box to. In fact, hide that cable box remote in a drawer far, far away -- it's simply not worth the trouble.

If you want to watch something else live while the TiVo is recording, you can either split off the cable and feed it directly into the TV, thus allowing you to watch only channels you receive straight over the wire (often channels under 100), or you can pay your cable company a few more bucks a month to rent another cable box, and have access to all your channels.

Drew
Old 08-16-2005, 09:44 PM   #500
Runch Machine

The TX20 has RF passthrough and NO output on channel 3/4. The RF passthrough is active regardless if the TX20 is on/outputting a picture, or off/standby. You have to connect the TX20 via componenet, composite or S-Video. There for there is no reason to split the signal from the cable. There is no need to put the TX20 into stand by. Just switch the input on your TV to use the TVs built in tuner.
DirecTV HR20 DVR with 1 terrabyte Drive inside.
Runch Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:48 PM   #501
Petua

Thanks for the responses to my last post. Now I have a new question. With TiVo Basic, I can't seem to access many of the online features from tivo. For example, under I Have TiVo!, I get a "Sorry, we couldn't find any contracts on your account." message for most of the options. Same goes for online scheduling. It looks as if I need to sign up for service. However, the How do I activate my TiVo Basic Service? support page claims: "TiVo Basic service is automatically activated for DVD integrated models from Toshiba and Pioneer. It is only necessary to activate service if you are upgrading to TiVo Plus service."
Petua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:02 PM   #502
windracer
joined the 10k club

That's correct ... TiVo Basic only gives you the basic three days' worth of Guide data. All of the really cool stuff (online scheduling, Season Passes, WishLists, etc.) is part of the TiVo Plus service.

You might have found this when perusing the TiVo Support site, but here are the differences between Basic and Plus:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...ic/tv1199.htm?

If you're a new owner, you should have the option for a free trial of Plus, which lets you try out some (but not all) of the Plus features.

|
Old 08-18-2005, 09:40 AM   #503
mikeurz

Wireless adapter

I have just downloaded the Beta version software for my Toshiba. Will one of the wirless G adapters listed on TIVOs site that will work with software version 7.1 or higher work with my unit now? Has anyone tried this?
mikeurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #504
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

"Hi, my name is Rodney, and I am a TiVo addict."
I just picked up an RS-TX20 from Best Buy as an open box, no cables or correct remote. This now makes five TiVO boxes in my house. I just couldn't pass up the deal to get a DVD burner and series 2 standalone for $210. And this right after I just purchased the HD10-250. Yikes.

Of course, I had to activate an additional DirecTV receiver, and I had to activate TiVo Plus (What is TiVo without Season Passes and WishLists?), so I can't afford too many more deals!

Anyone know where I can get the true Toshiba remote with the DVD buttons?

-Rodney
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #505
ashu
User title defunct

Someone asked about Toshiba remoteas a couple of pages ago ... I believe TiVo (or Toshiba?) has 'em.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #506
gardibolt

I've tried a couple things to get 30-second skip to work and it still just skips to the end of the program. Does the RS-TX20 support this at all, or has it been disabled like just about everything else useful (e.g. even rudimentary editing, altering recording speed, etc.) ?
gardibolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #507
azitnay

30SS has not been disabled... You must just not be doing it right. Start watching a recording (it's harder to make it work on live TV). Then, press SELECT, PLAY, SELECT, 3, 0, SELECT in order. You'll hear three bings if it worked.

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of the stuff you mentioned being disabled... None of it's ever been there in the first place.

Drew
Old 08-23-2005, 02:43 PM   #508
ashu
User title defunct

I thought it was 'dings', not 'bings'? Ask Chandler. Or Matt!

Editing was never a feature. The processor can't handle it anyway, and it's moot when you can FFWD with the same awesome TiVo interface when watching a DVD recording.

And you effectively pre-plan your 'recording speed'. It records 8 hours of Basic, 4 of Medium, 2 of High and 1 hour of Best quality TiVo recordings to a DVD. Or any proportional combination of those qualities.

(Too many TiVos!)

Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 PM   #509
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardibolt
or has it been disabled like just about everything else useful (e.g. even rudimentary editing, altering recording speed, etc.) ?
Like Drew, I'm confused about what you mean by these last options.

Maybe by "recording speed" you mean changing the recording quality? Do you have TiVo Basic or the Plus service? I think you can only change the quality if you subscribe to the Plus service?

|
Old 08-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #510
azitnay

I figured he meant changing the actual DVD burning speed, as most PC DVD burning software packages can do... I'm not sure why you'd ever want it at less than max nowadays, though.

Drew