Forum Jump

Old 03-14-2005, 08:46 PM   #31
grady

thanks for the info...
grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #32
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Another Kudo for this great list, and an apology for not being able to contribute.

I have answered a lot of questions on filters and I wish I had a good suggestion for on filter/codec advice. It is one area of weakness in this excellent list.

One of the largest source of problems I see on the TTG forum concern problems associated with incompatible DirestShow filters, or problems that would be solved through more intimate knowlege of filters. The ultimate source of these problems are never in Tivo software, but as far as the user can be expected to understand, they never had the observed problem until they started playing .tivo's- therefore they make the understandible inference it is some sort of Tivo problem, so they come here rather than the Sonic, Microsoft, or Nero sites which in any case provide little information of perceptible relevance to their problem at hand.

"How to" lists are difficult to compose because of the combinatorial possibilities between multiple filters and video software interactions. Even for a help line technician, it would be a daunting task to construct a good decision tree for guiding a user through trouble shooting steps. There are some rules of thumb but they only work 90% of the time. For example- simply installying Tivo recommended codecs won't work in all cases because they may not be assigned the highest priority. Unistalling all codecs and only installing a recommended codec is not workable either because this will disable many desktop video applications or games.

Lastly, there is some dodgy territory when you start talking about graphedit. It is the best way I know to give naive users a visual clue about what is going on under the hood, but some good faq type sites I have for that are, shall we say, dangerously close to the dark side of the force.

I'll see if we on the TTG forum can't concoct a reasonable enough cookie cutter set of instructions for the most common problems and "90%" solutions.

Last edited by Justin Thyme : 05-01-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:58 PM   #33
ccwf
国際化 Member

Since we're getting an increasing number of questions on hooking up HD cable boxes, I've added links to detailed posts on HD cable box wiring.

Also added recent report that temporarily configuring for demo mode may help in resetting a TiVo DVR to allow initial guided setup over broadband.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #34
yas123

johnpgalla]How do you post a new message?

Thanks[/quote]
yas123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:17 PM   #35
yas123

How do you post a new message

Thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #36
yas123

Get
Old 08-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #37
yas123

Sorry
Old 08-26-2005, 02:19 PM   #38
ccwf
国際化 Member

Added TGC (TiVo Greater China). Changed status of TiVoBill, mawhite, and Jimisham.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 11-11-2005, 11:35 PM   #39
petestrash

Just thought I'd point out a dead link.

The link to the kazoo-like audio distortion sample is no longer valid.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kaokulkfusgygar/tivo.mp3

Peter.
petestrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #40
Alpinemaps

There seem to be a number of broken links in this FAQ. Any chance someone in charge of the FAQ could update?
Alpinemaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:28 PM   #41
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinemaps
There seem to be a number of broken links in this FAQ. Any chance someone in charge of the FAQ could update?
Just post some examples, and I'll fix them.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 12-18-2005, 11:24 PM   #42
Alpinemaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwf
Just post some examples, and I'll fix them.
Of course, there's only one that pops out at me now. I swear there were at least three that I was looking at yesterday. I don't have a lot of time right now, but will try to go back through it to find the specific examples as soon as I do.

Here's the one that I did find upon re-examination very quickly tonight:

Quote:
Some wired adapters can even be used for initial guided setup with the ,#401 undocumented dial prefix. (If you have trouble getting the prefix to work, Dan posted a step-by-step procedure.
The link at 'step-by-step procedure' seems to be broken.
Alpinemaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #43
onthenose

ok newbie here, but i have a question. I never had a tivo before so here is the question. Lets say i want to record a program that normally comes on at 12 midnight, but this being a sports channel, a baseball game has went into extra innings, going right past the normal 12 oclock airing of my program, will tivo be able to pick up on this and start recording when my program comes on say at 1:13 in the morning? Thanks to anyone who can answer me.
onthenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #44
Syzygy

Good question, onthenose — I had the same question when I was a newbie back in 1999. (The short answer, at least in the USA, is NO.) Also, I asked "If not, why not?"

Local stations (in the USA and maybe everywhere) have access to the start and stop times for programs and commercials (embedded in the teletext portion of the broadcast signal), but consumer devices aren't supposed to be allowed to see this data, for fear of making commercial-skipping easier. It may not even be there in digital broadcasts.

A post in a TiVo UK thread titled Overrun recording option mentions Britain's Programme Delivery Control, and succeeding posts in that thread tell us why TiVo can't make use of it, how it doesn't work all that well anyway, and why it's going to disappear eventually ('cuz it's analog-only).

We're all stuck with having to manually pad every show that might run long or be shifted forward by a live event that doesn't end on time.

FrankTiVangelist since Aug 1999, now using two HR24-100s with DECA/MRV

Last edited by Syzygy : 02-21-2006 at 02:59 PM.
Syzygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #45
mjohn

query

Hope I'm in the right area and yes checked the compatiblity list and saw that my sat receiver MAY not be compatible ... I have a Humax drt800 with lifetime and a Philips 5353c sat receiver that was supplied by Directv ... cannot use the IF cables, tried at least 20 times to program remote to accurately change channels even with Tivo and Humax on the phone with me ... so the only other way to link Humax to the sat box is with the serial cable ... which of course the Philips has no port for ... do I need another receiver with the port or what ... any suggestions would be appreciated thanx, MJ
mjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 PM   #46
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn
Hope I'm in the right area and yes checked the compatiblity list and saw that my sat receiver MAY not be compatible ... I have a Humax drt800 with lifetime and a Philips 5353c sat receiver that was supplied by Directv ... cannot use the IF cables, tried at least 20 times to program remote to accurately change channels even with Tivo and Humax on the phone with me ...
There's actually a specific entry for the 5353 in the compatibility list. It indicates that IR should work with code 10038 at medium speed but is, unfortunately, not reliable.

TiVo

中日韓
Old 06-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #47
dandmb50

what is the beacon and how do I get it?
I downloaded the TivoDesktop but it says I do not
have the beacon??
dandmb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 PM   #48
neverpay6

Controlling mute and volume on KEF

Read all the Q & A...

I went to tivo web site, tried an all code search.

Does anyone know the remote code for my KEF KIT 100, home theatre to control mute and volume.

P.S. Went to kef web site, no help

Thanks

Kevin Moran
neverpay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #49
GPOET99

Channel Changing Problems

I just purchased a series 2 80 hour TV Box - I have Bellsouth Americast Cable and the channel changing seems to be incompatible with Tivo. Any help on what the correct IR code is to make this work or how to make it work. Thanks G
GPOET99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #50
Lanisatu

Are there any threads or recommended websites for setting up a Tivo in Canada? Hardware isn't a problem. I'm looking for resources about the software setup, particularly for a series 1 Tivo.

If what I'm trying now doesn't work, I'll post a question in a new thread.
Lanisatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #51
Lanisatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPOET99
Any help on what the correct IR code is to make this work or how to make it work.
If you're using an IR control cable, you only need codes for your TV power and for volume. You don't need a code to change channels. Make sure you've positioned the end of the IR cable over the sensor on your cable/ satellite box and that there isn't other infrared interference that's causing the problem. There is information in the "cables and accessories" section of your manual about how to make an IR tent if you need to.
Lanisatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 AM   #52
nolanvoyd

I am genuinely appreciative of the FAQ. I'm a forum newbie, but to be honest, I was dumped into this forum because the TiVo support webpages are terribly inadequate. I don't have a lot of time to join an internet forum, and especially not time to dig through so much information to be thoroughly acquainted with what has been discussed in the past.

I've tried to be a good internet citizen and perform a search for "service update" and "hour, possibly longer" (among other keywords related to my question) and the sheer volume of topics that come up is just too much to read, especially when I have already spent 20 minutes looking through posts.

This is not directed at the good people here, in particular. I'm just wondering whether there's a way to contact TiVo and ask them to improve their tech support pages.

The FAQ and content here is a LOT of text to read, and if I were interested in joining an online community, I'm sure I'd have much pleasure to browse leisurely through all of the wonderful topics here. Unfortunately, I need quick answers to questions (the kind that is formated in a logical list like TiVo has on its website) ... and TiVo has room for improvement in this area.

I realize that some people may be offended anyway at my post. I mean no offense. I'm an active member of other internet forums, and appreciate the frustration of outsiders coming in and asking dumb questions that have been rehashed ad nauseum. But this is a VERY active forum, and there's just too much for the average person who wants to spend less than 30 minutes to find the answer to a single question.

That's why this is directed at the good folks at TiVo. TiVo, are you there? Can you hear me?
nolanvoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #53
laurap414

Can someone please point me to a post or site which details how to run the kickstart codes? All of the posts I have read (including this one) point to a url that no longer exists: http://alt.org/wiki/index.php/TivoDiagnostics.

Thanks,
Laura
laurap414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #54
tooper12

i have read all the reply these were really interesting

tooper12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:34 PM   #55
skynet

new to tivo

hey there. I still have the series2 tivo in the box. Received as a gift, sort of, but have a question for anyone. The service fees listed at tivo's website does not have a lifetime service listed. I was at Cnet, and read a review on my unit and saw a statement that said that a lifetime subscription was $300.00, but now I see for $299.00 it gets you only 3 years! Is there a lifetime subscription? Was there ever? Since I have the tivo, I figured I'd use it and get rid of my $18 plus dollars a month my cable company (COMCAST) is charging me to rent their cablebox/DVR. Any feed back to this would be appreciated. thanks.
skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #56
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Using a Series 1 without a subscription (service)

Got a Series 1 standalone TiVo (Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR312, etc.) and want to use it for manual recording (time and channel) without a subscription? Most can, with the exception of some late production run SVR-2000s.

The deciding factor is which TiVo software version it shipped with from the factory (which then determines a PROM version.) If it was earlier than 2.0, then unsubbed recording is allowed. There is not a reliable way to determine this on your own. Furthermore, if a Clear and Delete Everything has been done, this flag indicating this capability is cleared.

Note that the software version currently on the box does not matter. Version 3 is the latest available for Series 1 boxes.

To enable manual recording, contact TiVo Customer Care and ask them to reference support article 14-29-02. You will give them your box's TiVo Service Number and they will determine if it is eligible and, if so, enable the flag for you. Once that is done, have the box make a "daily call now" to reacquire the feature. You can also send a PM to TiVoJerry with the TSN and this request.

See this reply by Jerry for more details.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:30 PM   #57
billmar123

Please wait

My Tivo froze and I powered down to reboot. Now all I get is the "your recorder is starting up, please wait a moment. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Bill
billmar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #58
zimmett

I have TIVO the DS DVR 40, some 3 years old. Keep getting signal strength satellite 1 or 2 on a clear day. Tried resetting the receiver with test satellite signal strength.
Keeps coming up with satellite 101 and transponder 9.Tried resetting the test satellite signal to 72 and transponder @ 2.
At 101 now gives 84 and 86
On 72 gives 92 and 94
On a cloudy day I usually get 65 to 70 on 101 and 80 to 85 on 72.
I cannot change the DVR to 72. Each time I try this it automatically goes back to 101 when I recheck the Test.
Top of screen says: Check the reception from a range of transponders on each satellite. Azimuth 232, elevation 32 and tilt 60 in degrees.What in the world does this mean and why can't I change the Test Satellite Signal??
As you probably know the picture goes out when the signal goes near or below 60
Any help would be appreciated!
zimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #59
zhwdiana2008

Thumbs up i agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZikZak View Post
Great post! Somebody should sticky it to the top!

zhwdiana2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #60
pallen38

My Tivo model HDR212 has worked fine for years, but last week I started getting a message that I need to do the daily call or I'll run out of program info. When I try to make a daily call or test call, I get a message "Failed Service Not Answering". I'm in Phoenix area code 602, and the number I've been using from the beginning is 417-8765. I've gone thru the troubleshooting steps. Any suggestions? Thx for any help.
pallen38 is offline   Reply With Quote